Chapter 4

Making Perfect

“Eomma! What are you doing here?!” Jihoon stepped in front of Seungcheol who froze like a statue, doing his best to block Seungcheol’s almost, I repeat, almost body from his mother’s view but failing miserably as Seungcheol was way too tall and too broad and too toned and too masculine and too y and he bet Seungcheol also has too big-

 

“Lee Jihoon.” His not-so-wholesome thoughts was disturbed by a cold voice, remembering the problem at hand and a bigger problem behind him, can someone tell Seungcheol to get dress?

 

“Eomma.” Jihoon mouthed as he noticed his mother glaring at Seungcheol, then glared at him afterwards. Jihoon smiled awkwardly at her.

 

Jihoon was his mother’s splitting image, the people around them said so, but he doubted it. They’re roughly have the same height, though Jihoon always insisted that he was way taller than his mother. Jihoon got his mother’s sharp eyes that the others often mistakenly took as a cold one though both of the mother and son was not cold.

 

Ok! They’re kind of cold but not that cold!

 

Screw that!

 

Who was he kidding?

 

He’s a hot tempered, slightly tactless, emphasis on the slightly and a no holds barred kind of person. Where do you think he have gotten that all?

 

Simple, to the woman standing in front of him.

 

He noted that his mother was wearing one of her favorite shoes, the Prada one.

 

The devil wore a Prada. No pun intended.

 

“I travelled here from Busan just to see my only child and instead of welcoming me by an excited squeal and giving me a hug, you asked me what am I doing here? What do you think am I doing here Mr. Smarty Pants Lee Jihoon? To visit you of course! Now give me a hug.” She demanded, Jihoon flinched at the speech and was hugged by his mother tightly. Seungcheol gulped as the woman looked up at him with stone cold eyes, the same as when Jihoon got mad at him and the younger was torn between killing him or just putting him in a coma. He now discerned to whom Jihoon inherited his testiness.

 

Jihoon hugged back. He missed his mother so much. The last time they saw each other was when she paid him a visit six months ago. Although his mother has temper to matched his, he loves his mother very dearly. She was Jihoon’s best friend. He confided at her all the time, that even he left Busan to study in Seoul he made sure that he took time to call her and check on her every night or every time he has the chance. His mother who never left his side, his mother who was always there to lend him a hand, his mother who supported him to pursue Music though his grandparents wanted him to take Medicine instead and his mother who happened to be his Number one fan.

 

“I miss you, Eomma.” Jihoon said with a big smile plastered at his face, his mother messing his hair.

 

“I miss you too, son.” Jihoon’s mother smiled affectionately at him.

 

“And for you-“ she stared at Seungcheol. Jihoon groaned, he sighed at Seungcheol who was still standing practically bared in front of them.

 

“Put some clothes on, young man. You might catch a cold.” Seungcheol nodded so fast that his neck stung a bit. Jihoon’s mother made her way to his son’s kitchen, side-eyeing the chaos in front of the television set which was with ending credits of a movie playing; bowl of popcorn with pieces lying messily on the floor, there were also box of pizza and cans of cola.

 

When Jihoon’s mother ebbed to their visions, Jihoon suddenly smacked Seungcheol’s head earning a pout from the taller.

 

“What’s that for?” Seungcheol slowly scratched the part where Jihoon’s small but strong hand landed.

 

“Didn’t you hear Eomma? Get dress, you idiot!” Jihoon pushed Seungcheol softly but firmly as he made his way in front of the television, throwing the trash he can see at the nearby bin. Seungcheol shook his head while smiling. He sneaked to Jihoon’s bedroom retreating to the younger’s cabinet where there was a drawer of Seungcheol’s things, mostly clothes. He dressed abruptly, putting on a pair of skinny black jeans and a simple white Tee, he brushed his hair to the side as he intently looked at his own reflection on the mirror.

 

“The Lee’s and their attitudes.” Seungcheol chuckled as he went out of the room.

 

--

 

It should not be that awkward right? They’re just having a simple dinner; Seungcheol, Jihoon and his mother. Then why does it feel like one? Jihoon munched at his food loudly due to frustration. Seungcheol on the other hand can’t even chew his food.

 

Seungcheol was about to leave, (escape!), when Jihoon’s mother peeked from the kitchen and told him to stay for dinner. She told him to stay, for Pete’s sake, she TOLD him, not asked him if he can stay. How can he refuse?

 

So here he was, eating dinner with his not-yet-boyfriend but soon-to-be with his mother who by the looked of it wanted to skin Seungcheol alive.

 

‘We hadn’t done the deed yet, I swear! I am willing to wait for Jihoon to be ready. I will not force him ever, I promise. We will be going to be married first before doing it.’ if Seungcheol could just voice out his thoughts it will definitely end up more awkwardly. Thank goodness he couldn’t.

 

“So-“ Jihoon’s mother, Mrs. Lee broke the silence. Seungcheol and Jihoon turned their attention to the woman.

 

“What’s your name? I didn’t quite catch it a while ago. Oh right. My son here forgot to introduce you to me.” She put down her chopsticks, resting her elbows on the top of the table, putting his chin at the back of her clasped hands. Seungcheol felt that he needed to reciprocate the action, put his own chopsticks down.

 

“I- I’m C-Choi S-Seu-Seungcheol.” Seungcheol bowed a little bit, nearly hitting the table with his head.

 

“Are you Jihoon’s classmate?”

 

“Uh- no ma’am- err- Mrs. Lee. I had my- my degree a- a year ago.” Jihoon fascinatingly watched Seungcheol who’s stuttering. It’s his first time to see this side of Seungcheol. He giggled, causing Seungcheol to scowled at him but not for too long because Mrs. Lee spoke.

 

“Oh. What do you do then?”

 

“Uh- I’m- an- an idol.”

 

“Idol, huh?” Mrs. Lee picked her chopsticks and continued to eat. Seungcheol nodded.

 

“Yes. B-but you probably didn’t hear about us ma’am- Mrs. Lee- since we’re just rookies who debuted a year ago. We’re not that famous.” What an understatement.

 

“Oh. Where are you living? Where are your parents?”

 

“Eomma-” Jihoon interrupted as his mother’s questions were becoming more personal.

 

“I’m originally from Daegu but I moved here in Seoul to pursue my dream of being an idol. My family is still in Daegu.” Seungcheol answered anyway, he slowly drank the water in his glass.

 

“Daegu? It’s really hot in there. You can only see mountains. All you have there were mountains, mountains and more mountains.” Seungcheol was tempted to retort at how the air in Daegu was so fresh and Busan has only oceans, oceans and more oceans, but gingerly decided not to since it was Jihoon’s mother after all. He can hear Jihoon laughing from across him. He now understood where Jihoon’s trash talking came from.

 

They continued to chat, no, Seungcheol continued to answer Mrs. Lee’s questions for more or less two hours. He felt like the woman was testing him, interrogating him?

 

--

 

“Eomma! Why’d you have to go home this early? You just came here. Please stay for a little while.” Jihoon pouted as he clung at the arm of his mother who was preparing to leave.

 

Seungcheol watched as Jihoon cutely snuggled his mother. It’s Seungcheol’s first time to see this side of Jihoon. Jihoon as a son. He looked like a five-year-old child fondling at his mother, begging her not to leave him with the other children at a kindergarten. ‘So cute.’ Seungcheol smiled at this thought.

 

“You know your father can’t stand being away from me. I’ll be back before you knew it.” Mrs. Lee kissed his son’s head.

 

“Now. Will the two of you accompany me to the door?” she raised his eyebrow probingly at Seungcheol.

 

“Uh- yes. Of course ma’am- Mrs. Lee. I-if you want I can bring you to the airport.” Seungcheol offered, fishing his car keys in his pocket as he walked towards Jihoon who was clinging at his mother like a koala.

 

“I’m fine. I’ll just take a cab.” She smiled at Seungcheol for the first time since he saw her.

 

“And call me Auntie or- Eomma will do, no? since you’re Jihoon’s-“

 

“Eomma!”

 

Seungcheol blushed at the recognition but nodded his head, sheepishly scratching the back of his head.

 

“Oh shut up Lee Jihoon! He’s just so hot, such a fine young man.” Mrs. Lee teased, while the two boys walked with her. Seungcheol blushed deeply at the sudden compliment.

 

“Eomma! Stop embarrassing me!” Jihoon shouted as he covered his face.

 

“You hypocrite! What did I do wrong in my past life that I hadn’t have met such man in my life? A man who was well-educated, well-mannered, raised by his parents to be a good lad, rich, famous, successful, handsome, hot-“

 

“Yaaaaaaah!” Jihoon pushed his mother outside of his dorm, his face as red like a tomato.

 

“Oh dear! I’m just teasing you!” she laughed seeing how her son’s face was flaming in embarrassment.

 

“Give me a hug.” She gazed at Jihoon and was given one.

 

“You too.” she sharply looked at Seungcheol, he bent a little so that the woman can hug him properly. Jihoon beaming at the view. The two he loves the most, hugging. Heaven on Earth.

 

“Please always protect Jihoon, that’s all I’m asking you.” She whispered.

 

“I will Eomma. I’ll protect him with all of me. I’ll protect him forever.” Seungcheol whispered back earning a soft pat from the woman to his back.

 

“I’ll go now.” She picked her bags and turned to leave.

 

“’Bye Eomma.”

 

“Oh before I forgot!” she turned back at the two boys who were standing side by side. She mentally took note at how the two really looked good together and how Jihoon’s eyes glowed, gleamed, sparkled, shined and everything in between whenever he stared at Seungcheol and the latter staring back at him. Seungcheol also had that same look whenever he looked at Jihoon.

 

They’re perfect for each other.

 

“I forgot to tell you-“ her eyes gleaming with malice.

 

“Don’t forget to use protection.” She said blankly, Seungcheol laughed his heart out at the advice. Mrs. Lee ran for dear life as she knew her son was running after her, out for blood.

 

“EOMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”