bandaid - raken

Helter Skelter

Deadlines for long term papers, three hour lectures, an oral quiz, and a 100-item written exam for tomorrow’s classes. A typical schedule of a busy college student. It was a normal night for anyone living in the university, and just like any soul drained students was a guy named Kim Wonsik. Music in Composition Major. He wasn’t the best student but he also wasn’t the worst. Wonsik thought his Friday night would be like any other normal school nights until midnight struck.

 

9:45PM

 

Inside the university’s dormitory, Wonsik was in his room lying down on his bed while he lazily typing the last paragraphs of his long term paper on Debussy on his laptop that was resting on his lap. He yawned, thinking that it wasn’t even that late and yet here he was sleepy. Typical me. He was already in his third year and already completely drained from almost everything being thrown to him by his “very most” gracious and loving professors.

 

“College was fun they said.” Wonsik commented. Too be honest, there are ups and downs when it comes to college, it was just the time of regrets and agony that Wonsik felt college was hell. “Just one more paragraph.” Wonsik said to himself as he tried to cheer himself up since he had nobody with him. His roommate was out with his college buddies while he was stuck inside their room. He was a loner. Alone in the cold world of college. Well, at that moment…Until a friend of his trespassed the room undetected. Another trait of Wonsik was that he always have no idea of his surroundings when he is engrossed with something.

An unwelcomed visitor burst the door opened and confidently strode inside the room. “KIM WONSIK!”

 

Wonsik was startled; almost flipping his laptop of his lap. Good thing he had fast reflex or else he will have to say goodbye to the papers that are letting him live in college. Byebye college life. He cursed under his breath and turned to the all too familiar person in front of him. Wonsik hissed, “I told you not to come in here without knocking! Does the word privacy not mean anything to you?”

 

The skin bronzed man maniacally laughed and sat on the end of Wonsik’s bed. “When it comes to women, children and other human species, I say yes. But when it comes to you, I have none. Cha Hakyeon here has none for you since you are my best friend. We’re practically family.”

 

Wonsik returned to his homework and ignored whatever Hakyeon was saying. “Uh huh.”

 

Hakyeon laid back on the bed and continued with his ramblings. “Anyway, the reason I came here and disturbed whatever you were doing is because I am inviting you out of this godforsaken place we call dorm.”

“And where are we going?” Wonsik muttered, his eyes glued on the laptop’s screen. “Didn’t we hang out yesterday too?”

 

Hakyeon nodded. “Yeah, but this time we’re going to a new place. Hongbin and Taekwoon discovered this awesome place last week. They say it’s a long street where people like us usually hang out and by people I mean the cool ones like us.”

 

“We’re not that cool, Hakyeon.” Wonsik chuckled. “I believe there’s also the disappearance of the word humble in your dictionary.”

 

Hakyeon scowled. “Wha—I am humble. I’m just trying here to sell you my offer. To drag you out with us and that’s why I’m using my business skills.”

 

“Yeah…big words, Hakyeon.” Wonsik was already in the middle part of his last paragraph. “Uh huh.”

 

“Oh come on Wonsikkie.” Hakyeon pleaded, grabbing Wonsik’s right leg and shook him violently. Wonsik held onto his laptop tightly continuing his work. “I’ll treat you food tomorrow! Just come with us.”

 

Wonsik paused from his homework and shifted his attention to his friend’s proposition. Hakyeon stopped shaking Wonsik and sighed, knowing that anyone can be bribed with food especially his friends. Wonsik placed his laptop on the space next to him, crossed his arms and leaned back on the headboard. “Food for a month.”

 

“A week.”

 

“Three weeks.”

 

“A week and a half.”

 

“Deal.”

 

Hakyeon rolled his eyes, feeling cheated. “I can’t believe my friends can be bribed with food. Especially you and Taekwoon.”

 

Wonsik shrugged. “This is college my friend. We’re always looking for the word food…Oh wait, let me finish my homework.”

 

10:34PM

 

True enough, Hakyeon didn’t lie. The street was filled with people alike themselves. Artistically inclined people. They were everywhere. In every shops, stalls and corner of the long street. It was already late night and yet it was much lively and bright inside and out of the streets with the help of the bright neon lights coming from various unique shops, the loud yet soothing music coming from live bands and performers—you could never feel alone at all.

 

“This place is great.” Wonsik smiled, glancing at the shops they were passing by.

 

“What did I tell you?” Hakyeon smirked, putting an arm on his friend’s shoulder. His eyes scanned the nearby shops, searching for something. “Oh by the way, Taekwoon and Hongbin are on their way. They said they’ll be here in a few minutes. How about we choose a café or go into a shop while we wait for them?”

 

Wonsik nodded and looked around for a place. They were at the part of the street where most of the shops were independent clothing lines. If Wonsik wasn’t hungry, he would just go to a random clothes store and buy stuff but his stomach was his top priority of the moment. His stomach was grumbling and was desperate for food. He turned and found a nearby bubble waffle stall. There were customers but only a few. It was perfect. He pointed at the stall and called Hakyeon. “How about over that stall? I am getting hungry.”

 

“Alright, I’m getting hungry too.”

 

The two headed to the stall and bought themselves bubble waffles. Next to the bubble waffle stall was a bubble tea stall and since they need something to drink with the waffle, they bought bubble tea as well. All thanks to Hakyeon’s wallet. “I really feel cheated here.”

 

Wonsik happily munched on his bubble waffle saying thanks to his friend. “This is good.”

 

“Of course it’s good. I bought it.” Hakyeon snickered. “Food that are not bought by your own money is more delicious.”

 

Wonsik bobbed his head, totally agreeing with what Hakyeon said. The two stood near the food stalls waiting for their other friends. Hakyeon sat on the pavement while Wonsik stood in front of his friend. The two were busily eating and chatting when a group of skaters appeared out of nowhere. Hakyeon was awestruck with the scene. “Wow, they look so cool!”

 

“Yup.” Wonsik finished bubble waffle and looked back at his friend who had his eyes on the skaters. One in particular. The one who was about to crash onto Wonsik’s back. Should I tell Wonsik or should I---Oh no Before Hakyeon could process his thoughts, the skater he was looking at had already crashed on Wonsik’s back. The skateboard hit Wonsik’s foot, letting out a grunt and the skater holding Wonsik’s back for support.

 

“Ow.” Wonsik winced.

 

The skater immediately got himself back on his feet, grabbed his skateboard and backed away. “I’m sorry.” Wonsik turned around and what stuck him was what people call love at first sight. Right before Wonsik was a guy, probably near his age. Soft features, wavy hair, tall and manly physique with a good fashion sense (a white oversized shirt, black ripped jeans covered with a red plaid overcoat), and somewhat foreigner-looking. Wonsik was speechless. The person in front of him looked at him straight in the eyes and grabbed him by the shoulder. He leaned down so that their faces were only inches away. “I’m terribly sorry.”

 

He has a cute face—“No, it’s okay! It’s okay.”

 

“No, I’m so sorry!” The guy squinted his eyes and apologized once again. His eyes went down to Wonsik’s foot and found that his ankle had been grazed. He frowned and apologized once again. “I’m really sorry about this. Here.” The guy searched something in his pocket. Once he found what he was searching for, he knelt down and carefully put it on top of Wonsik’s grazed skin. “As a sign of apology. I am really sorry about this.”

 

Wonsik looked away, hiding his bashful and red face. “You…you don’t have to do that.”

 

“Let me.” He said. He got up once he secured the bandaid on Wonsik’s ankle and smiled. Seeing that smile was like lightning strike hitting Wonsik directly. Aw , no. He is too cute. “I’m really sorry about this. I hope I can make it up to you.”

 

“No, really it’s fine.” Wonsik insisted. “It’s just a scratch. No worries.”

 

Before anything could happen, someone called the guy over. "Hey! Come on, we're going to be late." 

 

"Alright, alright! I'm coming. Wait for me, Hyuk." He shouted back. The guy looked back at Wonsik. Honestly, Wonsik didn't want him to leave but he had to.

 

“I’ll be going then.” The guy got on his skateboard and smiled fondly at Wonsik. “See you.” And there he skated away.

 

Behind Wonsik was a sinister Hakyeon smiling devilishly at his friend. Wonsik turned to his friend and smiled shyly. “That was…unexpected.”

 

“Yeah. It was like something that would happen in a shoujo manga.” Hakyeon said flatly. Wonsik shook his head, “Really, Hakyeon?”

 

Just then, two of their friends arrived. Hongbin ran to them and greeted them with a smile. “Hey guys, what did we miss?”

 

Hakyeon stood and grinned, nudging Wonsik’s side. “Wonsikkie here met someone, that cutie skater. Too bad, he didn’t get his name.” He pointed at the direction where the skater went. Hongbin and Taekwoon looked at where Hakyeon was pointing despite not seeing the skater anymore.

 

“You mean Lee Jaehwan from the Animations department?” Taekwoon said.

 

“His name is Lee Jaehwan?” Hakyeon beamed. He turned to Wonsik and saw his friend blushing. Lee Jaehwan. Wonsik repeated his name. Well, this was one of the best times in college.

 

 

12:00 AM

 

While busy strolling the busy street with his friends, Taekwoon received a text message from a friend. He grinned and replied quickly. Hakyeon, who was next to him, leaned and asked who it was. Taekwoon showed his friend the text, making Hakyeon laugh out loud. Hongbin and Wonsik turned to their forever loud friend and asked what was funny. Hakyeon shook his head, "Nothing." 

 

 

 

 

jyannie: saw you friends with the guy i bumped into.

jyannie: is there a chance you could tell me his name?

jyannie: wanna meet him again~^^

taek: kim wonsik.

jyannie: cute name~

 

Hakyeon cracked his knuckles and smiled naughtily. "Shall we work our magic, Taek?"

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Taekwoon mumbled. 

 

 

 

 

 

--

hi theree~~ this actually happened to me just a few days ago and i can't help but make something out of that beautiful memory (but of course i tweaked some parts >.<) 

THANK YOU FOR READING, SUBSCRIBING, COMMENTING AND FOR THE UPVOTES^^