Through the clouds is where we'll be

Chanbaek/Baekyeol Drabble Dump

title: through the clouds is where we'll be

genre: peterpan!au, fantasy, reincarnation!au

length: drabble- 1,122w

summary: “Through the clouds is where we’ll be, mingling amongst the stars; smiles in place, feet afloat. Riding the wind like sailors at sea, so won’t you come and fly with me?”

 

 

--

 

“Through the clouds is where we’ll be, mingling amongst the stars; smiles in place, feet afloat. Riding the wind like sailors at sea, so won’t you come and fly with me?”

 

Those words rang over and over in young Byun Baekhyun’s mind ever since a strange boy flew in his window one night.

It was cold, and then it was not; Baekhyun looked up to see a tall boy with glitter sprinkled across his skin. He was dazzling, and five year old Baekhyun was beyond dazzled at this strange creature.

He had pointy ears and fiery red hair; so unlike the other boys Baekhyun played with. His name was Chanyeol, he said, and promised young Baekhyun the adventure of his life if he agreed to go with him.

 

The glitter scattered across Chanyeol’s skin, Baekhyun learned later on, was actually stardust; letting him soar and twinkle through the skies like the stars themselves.

 

He was tempted, oh he was greatly so, to fly around without a care and be far away from mean siblings and chores and other responsibilities that hindered his happiness. He wanted happiness; he was ready for bliss.

He would fly around with the red-haired man.

 

The first thing he saw when he opened his eyes was the color blue, the first thing he felt was cotton strips flowing through his fingertips, and the first thing he said was: “wow,”.

Chanyeol smiled at him then, proud and elated, the pink dusting across his cheeks vibrant against the glitter on his skin, luring him into a world he can’t quite comprehend, but can appreciate.

“I like it here,” Baekhyun murmured a little while later, breathless after the race they did atop the clouds. He saw most of Neverland, and everywhere he went he was impressed; there was something in every place that made him like Neverland even more. He never wanted to leave.

 

“Tell me, Byun Baekhyun, would you fly with me always?” Chanyeol asked, lying on his stomach atop an especially fluffly cloud.

“I will, Chanyeol. I love it here.” Baekhyun replied honestly.

“That’s not what you said the last time you were here, Baekhyun-ah. You were older than you are now, too. And yet you still left.” Chanyeol looked at him, eyes sad. Baekhyun didn’t understand but he wanted those eyes to sparkle with happiness again.

“I—I was here before, Chanyeollie?” Baekhyun sat up, scratching his chin in confusion.

“You were, you always are. You’ve been here far too many times for me to count, and you always leave. But then you always come back too; but you never remember anything.”

“I—I don’t…” five year old Baekhyun trailed off, sad and confused. Nothing made sense, he needed his mother.

He looked around uneasily, already feeling the tears welling up in his eyes. “I-I have to go,”.

Chanyeol sighed. “Of course you do.”

 

 

 

“Do you—do you think, if I fly high enough, I’ll be able to find him?” Baekhyun asked the stars one night, eager to find the one thing that has eluded him all these years.

He didn’t come back for him anymore after that fateful night, fifteen years ago. Baekhyun hasn’t stopped thinking about it, can’t stop thinking about it, no matter how hard he tries.

He’s done a little research since then, about the Byun household, if there ever was any history about the red haired man with the pointy ears and the stardust skin.

There are a few journals of his ancestors that have been preserved and Baekhyun leafed through all of them, looking for a sign, anything at all, that will tell him about the mysterious man.

He saw one entry—just one—that talked about a man with glittering skin and an even more dazzling smile.

It said, “I met a man today, he showed me the skies, and told me of what I was destined to become. He had skin that shone like a brand new quarter, and a smile that mirrored that sparkle. He was otherworldly, and I was intrigued. But alas, despite this strange fascination I had of him I was too scared, too frightened of the unknown that I declined. I wonder, if I made the right choice, or if I caused a rift of some sort because I declined. I’d probably never know, and will only sound absolutely mad lest anyone in my family reads this—but know that I will always think of him whenever the stars so much as twinkle twice in my direction.”

Baelkhyun drew back when he first read it, shocked and relieved that Chanyeol is real, and not a figment of his childhood imagination. He set to work immediately then, looking for clues on how to find Chanyeol.

All that his great ancestor had for him was the date—it was dated October 31, 1880. All Hallows Eve; when portals open up to let non-mortals roam the earth.

He would see Chanyeol again—he’ll make sure of it.

Baekhyun waited for Midnight to arrive, dressed in white like the first day that they met, and decorated himself with glitter; fueled his mind with happy thoughts. He wished then, on the first star he saw that night, for Chanyeol’s return.

He waited and waited, but no one came. All that has kept his company was the cold breeze easing in and out of his wide opened window. He drifted into peaceful sleep a few hours past midnight, too tired and sad about his failed attempt.

 

“Through the clouds is where we’ll be, mingling amongst the stars; smiles in place, feet afloat. Riding the wind like sailors at sea, so won’t you come and fly with me?”

Baekhyun jolted awake, wide-eyed as he looked around, unbelieving of the whisper he just heard. (Was he dreaming?)

“I see you’ve been expecting me, Byun Baekhyun.” A low voice murmured next to him, long gangly legs hanging from the window sill.

He turns to him with excitement, immediately standing up to throw his hands around him.

“I’ve been expecting you for fifteen years, Park. I’ve been expecting you all this time. I watched the stars; I saw the proof in my ancestor’s journal. We’re made for each other, aren’t we?”

Chanyeol answers with a grin, hands wrapping around his tiny waist. “You do understand you’re basically giving up your human life and any future reincarnations to be with me, right?”

Baekhyun pulls back a little, rectangular smile blinding as he looks up at the love he’s lost so many times yet found again amidst all odds.

“Are you kidding me? I’ve always dreamed of being covered in stardust. I’m ready to spend the rest of my life flying around the universe with you, Park Chanyeol.”