Chapter 5

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

One month later

 

Yixing’s eyes roamed carefully over the servants rushing back and forth to prepare for the upcoming feast that night. It was extremely important that everything was right, even more so because it was the first time that the Khan had let Yixing take full control of preparations. It didn’t help that the most important ingredients for the food had yet to arrive.

 

“Not over there!” He snarled as a servant nearly placed a decoration in the wrong place.

 

“You’re going to scare them if you talk like that.” Yifan’s voice sounded from behind him, and Yixing bit his lip.

 

“I can’t help it.” He said, “I can’t disappoint Father.” Yifan gently squeezed him on the shoulder.

 

“The more tense you are, the more likely you are to mess up.” He advised. Yixing let out his breath slowly and nodded, giving his brother a reassuring smile. The sound of laughter drew his attention to the edge of the camp, where Feiyan was sitting astride a silver colored horse. Yizhong sat on a horse next to her in case she toppled sideways, and Yilong held the reins from his position on the ground. Yixing huffed in annoyance. If anyone didn’t know better, they’d think Feiyan was Yilong’s wife, not his. Hadn’t she been taught that logic at the very least? There were enough whispers among the servants as they gossiped about his poor relationship with Feiyan, and the last thing he needed was a rumor that she had a secret romance with Yilong. Feiyan had almost settled into the freer lifestyle of Mongolian women a little too much. Yilong met his eyes from across the camp, and Yixing settled his face into an expressionless mask as his brother walked over to him.

 

“Brother.” Yilong bowed slightly, giving deference to Yixing’s higher position. Yixing nodded gruffly in response.

 

“You seem like you’re having fun.” He commented, nodding towards Feiyan, who promptly turned away with a huff as their eyes met.

 

“Well, the princess is eager to learn and I’m quite willing to teach her.” Yilong replied nonchalantly, “That is, if you don’t mind of course.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“As long as you remember your place, brother.” He replied coolly. Yilong smiled.

 

“I would never think otherwise.” He replied smoothly as he stepped closer, “But if I were you, I would focus on more important things than a wife I never wanted in the first place.” Yilong leaned close to Yixing’s ear and whispered.

 

“For example, your banquet tonight. I hear the merchants are arriving today to ensure that the ingredients will be fresh.” He said quietly. Yixing levelled his gaze at his brother.

 

“You don’t need to worry about that.” He replied, “That is my duty, not yours.” The edge of Yilong’s lips quirked up in a slight smirk before he stepped away.

 

“Of course.” He replied, “I will be looking forward to the banquet, brother.”

 

“Don’t let him unnerve you.” Yifan advised as Yilong left. Yixing took a deep breath.

 

“I won’t.” He replied, “Have the merchants arrived yet?” Yifan shook his head.

 

“I can take some men to bring them here personally if you’re worried.” He offered. Yixing nodded and clapped Yifan on the shoulder.

 

“If you don’t mind.” He replied.

 

“I’ll be back soon.” Yifan promised before hurrying off.

 

********************************************************************************************************

An hour later

 

“What do you mean the merchants weren’t there?” Yixing stared at Yifan in shock as his brother delivered the news. Yifan shook his head.

 

“I’m confused as well.” He replied, “I deduced where they should be based on the current time, but there was no one there. I searched the surrounding area and further down the path as well, but there’s no sign of them.” Yifan sighed as he looked out at the setting sun.

 

“What should we do, Yixing? If the servants don’t start cooking now, there won’t be enough time.” He said worriedly. Yixing tapped his finger against the desk as he tried to collect his thoughts.

 

“First, Father must not hear about this.” He said, “And then…” His voice trailed off as his mind went blank.

 

“If I may.” A female voice interrupted his thoughts, and Yixing looked up to see Feiyan standing in the tent entrance.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked with a scowl, “You have no business here.” Feiyan pressed her lips into a thin smile.

 

“What if I said I could help you?” She replied, crossing her arms. Yixing scoffed.

 

“Help me?” He said, “How are you supposed to help me? And quite frankly, why would you bother?” Feiyan raised an eyebrow and levelled her gaze at him.

“I may be married to you, but I still remember where I’m from.” She replied, “If I know that your preparations are in trouble and stand still instead of helping, it would look bad on my people as well.”

 

“And why should I believe that a princess like you would have any idea how to cook for a foreign delegation?” Yixing continued, meeting her gaze steadily. Feiyan smirked.

 

“You don’t even know the limits of my ability and you are already doubting me?” She replied, “Besides, other than not telling the Khan, what other, better, plan do you have in mind?” Yixing walked slowly forward until he was right in front of Feiyan so that his tall stature towered over her.

 

“And if you fail to please the foreign delegation?” He asked. Feiyan tilted her head up and smiled.

 

“I’ll take full responsibility.” She said, “I’ll begin preparing now, if you’ll excuse me.” She bobbed in a little curtsey and left the tent.

 

“Do you really think she can do it?” Yifan commented as he watched Feiyan go.

 

“I have no other choice.” Yixing replied, “I never told Father what was going to be made, so that won’t be a problem. I can only hope that her ability matches her boldness.” Yifan chuckled.

 

“You know, you two are actually quite similar.” He replied.

 

“Oh? How so?” Yixing asked, turning to look at his brother. Yifan laughed.

 

“You’re both ridiculously stubborn.” He answered.

 

“Brother!” Yixing protested. Yifan grinned and ruffled Yixing’s hair.

 

“I’m only telling the truth.” He replied. Yixing scowled as he watched Feiyan’s retreating figure.

 

Me, similar to her? Never!

______________________________________________________________________________

Nighttime

 

Yixing twitched uncomfortably as he tried to focus on the musical performance going on in front of him. It was almost time for the main course to be served, and Feiyan was nowhere to be seen. Yixing bit his lip worriedly.

 

I sure hope I wasn’t wrong to trust her.

 

The musicians finished and cleared the grassy middle area that had been set aside for performances, and an awkward hush settled over the crowd as everyone waited for the next thing to begin. Yixing swallowed hard as he saw the Miao people casting looks at him and whispering among themselves.

 

“Yixing, what is next?” The Khan asked. Yixing met his father’s gaze nervously.

 

“I...what is next is…” The sound of a single note of music interrupted him, and Yixing looked up to see that a figure dressed in white had appeared on the grassy stage.

 

Who…?

 

The figure moved slightly, her eyes lifting slightly to meet Yixing’s. A slight shiver ran down his back as he took in her expression. It was both innocent and seductive, both kind and cold. But it had the power to draw you in, and Yixing found himself rooted to his seat as she began to dance. He swallowed hard as he realized who he was watching.

 

Feiyan.

 

Her long legs kicked into the sky, sending the hidden layers of her dress fluttering through the air. The audience sat transfixed, completely hushed as they watched her perform. Yixing felt his heart pound loudly in his chest. Feiyan was imitating a peacock, but it was so lifelike he was no longer sure if he was watching a bird or a human move. There was only one other person who Yixing knew could dance that way but...he shook his head and chased the thought away. Servants hurried in as the dance came to an end, and Feiyan finally pulled off her mask to smile politely at the Khan.

 

“Your Majesty.” She said, pressing her hand to her opposite shoulder in a traditional Mongolian bow, “Tonight, I have prepared green prawn rolls, honey stuffed crabs, a sour fish soup, and yellow bird buns.” Yixing stared in amazement at the spread of food placed in front of him. How had she managed to prepare so much in such little time?

 

“She knows a lot.” Yifan murmured softly, and Yixing couldn’t help but nod. He hadn’t even heard of half the foods before, but he knew the Miao ate a wide variety of meat, and couldn’t possibly eat a meal without something sour. Where she had managed to find so much seafood was also a mystery to him.

 

“And what is this?” One of the Miao diplomats picked up a skewered piece of fruit covered in red sugar and peered at it curiously. Feiyan smiled.

 

“That is called Tanghulu, Your Grace.” She replied, “It is fruit covered in sweet sugar. I have provided a sour dipping sauce as well if you would like to try mixing the sweet and sour tastes together.” The diplomat laughed in approval as he tried the treat as Feiyan suggested, and soon the whole seating area was laughing along in pleasure at the food.

 

“What is your name?” The same diplomat asked. Feiyan smiled demurely.

“I am Xu Feiyan, the wife of Crown Prince Yixing and princess of the Ming.” She replied, casting her gaze shyly over to Yixing. Yixing knew she was just acting her part, but her soft half lidded gaze caught him off guard and made him choke on his tea.

 

“Are you alright?” Yizhong asked as he patted Yixing on the back. Yixing coughed and nodded, waving his younger brother away. As he looked back down at his wife, he caught the slightest glimpse of an amused smile on her lips before she turned to look back at the diplomat.

 

Lovely, now she’s laughing at me!

 

“You are an intelligent and talented woman, Princess Feiyan.” The diplomat commented, “I have heard that Mongolian people usually eat mostly mutton. Where did you find so much seafood?”  Feiyan smiled and dipped her head humbly.

 

“I happened to come across the river nearby when I was taking a walk the other day, and noticed that it was full of sea creatures that could be eaten. Since my husband gave me this opportunity, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try recipes I had learned from my native home.” She replied. The Miao guests nodded in approval of the answer. Accepting the praise but indirectly bestowing the main honor back onto her husband. It was exactly what a royal wife was supposed to do, and Feiyan had done so perfectly.

 

“Your Majesty!” The diplomat called, “I must congratulate you on finding such a talented woman to be your daughter in law!” Both men started laughing, and Yixing forced himself to laugh along as the rest of the congregation joined in. Of course, he had been the one that chose to trust in Feiyan; given the situation, how could he have chosen otherwise? And certainly, she had proven that he still didn’t know the full extent of her capabilities. Yixing let out a deep sigh as he sipped at his tea.

 

If this keeps up, I’ll never be rid of her!

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Feiyan

 

Feiyan let out a sigh of relief as she finally sat down in a chair inside her tent and slipped off her dance shoes.

 

“I’m so tired…” She said with another sigh.

 

“Would you like the kitchen to make you something?” One of her maids hovered by her shoulder. Feiyan shook her head.

 

“I’ll be okay. They have been working all day, they should get some rest too.” She replied. In reality though, her stomach was starting to cramp from hunger. After her first dance, the Miao diplomats had requested another, and Feiyan had known better than to refuse. Most of the time afterwards had been occupied with talking with the diplomats and their wives. By the end of the night, there had barely been a chance to take a bite of food. There was a flutter of movement by the tent entrance, and Feiyan blinked as she found herself staring at a plate of steamed buns. She looked up in surprise to see Yixing standing in front of her, his face looking grumpy as he shoved the plate at her.

 

“What…?” Feiyan looked from the food to Yixing in confusion.

 

“Aren’t you hungry? I thought you loved steamed buns.” Yixing replied.

 

“I...I do, but why are you…?” Feiyan’s mouth watered as she looked at the food, unsure whether to accept the sudden gift. Yixing smirked and leaned close until their faces were inches apart.

 

“I may not like you very much, but I know how to be grateful. You did me a very big favor tonight, and so, it’s only right that I thank you.” He said, “Making sure you don’t starve is the least I can do.” He stepped back and headed for the tent entrance.

 

“And before you ask how I knew, I made Yizhong tell me what food you like.” He added, and then left.

 

“How impertinent.” Feiyan muttered as she watched him go. Still, as she picked up a steamed bun and bit into it, she felt just a little bit of warmth bloom in her chest.

______________________________________________

 

Author's note: Hi all! I haven't forgotten about this story, I just got hit with some writer's block!