006: Min Yoongi's Story

Matchless Love

Yoongi’s PoV

                I watch on all the computer screens as everything happens.

                Their lives are so intriguing. How they think they all mattered, how they actually pretend like they make a difference in Society.

                I have been here since I was 17, just watching everyone on my computers, monitoring them for the Society. None of them are important.

                That is what I thought before. I know better now.

                He caught my interest, this Kim Seokjin.

                Seemingly so loyal, so loving.

                Yet still…

                He seemed to show more love to this Kim Namjoon, than to the person he had been matched with.

                Wait and watch him, the Boss had said. If it begins to get unruly… You know what to do.

                Just what had happened to this Kim Namjoon’s parents. I was supposed to do this to Kim Seokjin and Kim Namjoon, should things follow down the path they were so obliviously being led down.

                A crush leads to feelings. Feelings lead to like. Like leads to a relationship. A relationship leads to love. And if it’s not love that the Society regulates, it needs to be stopped.

                At least that’s what they told me.

                Yes, Kim Seokjin can surely change the Society. For better or worse, I do not know.

                Wait… Something’s happened.

                They’re… hugging. In the park. Namjoon and Seokjin are.

                This is not supposed to happen.

                And… Jaehwan.

                He is watching. Watching as his Match breaks all the rules, as he begins to fully develop his feelings towards someone else.

                It’s evident in his eyes. He’s jealous. This is not good.

                Jealously leads to unease. Unease leads to arguments. Arguments lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. And hate leads to a broken Match. And broken matches are not something that the Society regulates, so they need to be stopped.

                Yoongi.

                I look around for the source of the voice. “Y- Yes?”

                Yoongi, don’t do this.

                “T- Taehyung? Is that you?”

                They always come. The memories, the thoughts. The details are blurry afterwards. But while I live them… They are real and painful.

                He smiled over at me. “Yoongi, I- I know it’s wrong. That we both already have Matches. But… I- I really like you.”

                “No. No, no, no, no, no. Not this again. No, please!” I clutch my head in my hands, falling to the ground. “Not again!”

                I smiled back. “I- I think… I think I like you, too, Taehyung.”

                He grinned, one of the boxy smiles I loved so much, and pulled me into a tight, almost childlike embrace. “Good! Because I… really like you. A lot.”

                I smiled sadly.

                “No. Stop. Please, this isn’t his fault! I- I can’t…” The memories keep coming.

                “Yoongi, it’s been two years… I don’t want to keep hiding this. I- I don’t like it.”

                “We don’t have any other choice, Taehyung. The Society… They wouldn’t be happy if we… you know…”

                “I don’t care about the Society!” He whined hysterically. “I just want to be with you! Where everyone can see it, not alone and hidden.”

                “I know, Taehyung. But we don’t have another choice. Please. You mean too much for me to lose you.”

                “Stop. Please. I can’t do this! Please! T- Taehyung, don’t let them hurt you!” The tears are running down my face, but nobody comes. I don’t see the computers that I know are in front of me. All I see is his face. Taehyung. Kim Taehyung. My first real love.

                “Yoongi, are you sure you want to run away…?”

                “You said you didn’t want to hide. And the Society won’t let us stay here, if we really want to… be together. D- Do you want to run away with me, Taetae?”

                He smiled, giving me little kisses all over my face. “Oh my gosh, I love you so much right now. Thank you, Yoongi! I- I’m excited! When can we go?”

                I want to scream. I need to scream. But I can’t. The last time I screamed, they came and hit me. I can only suffer in silence.

                They make sure of that.

                “Yoongi, they’re coming.”

                “I know.”

                “Yoongi, we can’t hide. The Society, they’re going to find us.”

                “I know.”

                “Yoongi.”

                “What?”
                “No matter what happens. I- I love you.”

                I can’t hold it in anymore. I scream. A loud, ear-piercing shriek of agony. “TAEHYUNG!”

                They all came at once. All the Society members they could get.

                I lost him.

                I lost Taehyung.

                I never saw him again.

                Did you make it, Taetae? Did you find somewhere to hide? Are you alive?

                Or did they find you first? They didn’t torture you, did they? Not like they did with me, I hope. I’m nothing more than a puppet to them, Taehyung. I’d prefer you be dead than here. I want to see you again…

                They faded. The memories. I collapsed on the ground, sobbing and muttering his name over and over again.

                And then he comes again.

                Not Taehyung. I never saw the man’s face. He always came when I started to act up again.

                Him and his arrangement of tools.

                Every time he came, he brought something that would inflict more pain than the last time.

                This time, he looks down at me. His face is completely covered, but I can tell that he is trying to deduce how to hurt me the most.

                He does not get anything out, he does not physically hurt me.

                He kneels down next to me. “It’s your fault, you know.”

                I shake my head, sobbing. “N- No!”

                “Taehyung would be alive if you two had stayed apart. It’s your fault you two ended up like this. But don’t worry, I’m sure he still remembers you. How you abandoned him because you couldn’t fight back. Weakling.

                I scream, covering my ears.

                “But it’s up to you now. You can keep this from happening to other people if you just… Do your job. If you do your job, you can keep other people from falling in love. And then they’ll be happy. Because they’ll be alive. And together. But as friends, and nothing else.”

                “F- Friends…”

                He nods. “Yes, friends.”

                I calm down. I always do when he mentions friends. I don’t know why. It scares me, but I feel nothing. Nothing at all. What was I so worried about? I don’t even remember the name of… whoever that was.

                “Now, can you tell me what you saw?”
                I nod. “K- Kim Seokjin. And Kim Namjoon. Together. But they shouldn’t be.”

                He nods. “And they should just be friends, right?”

                “Friends. Yeah. Yes. They shouldn’t be any more than that.”

                He stands up, pulling me up with him. “Good. Then monitor them.”

                “Okay.”

                “And make sure they stay exactly that. Friends.”

                “O- Okay.”

                “And you know what to do if they don’t, right?”

                I nod, turning back to my computer.

                “Good.”

                As I continue to watch the screens, his face appears in my mind again.

                Whose face, I can’t remember right now.

                But the memory always comes back.

                Eventually, everything will come back to haunt us.