Chapter 10: Kim Taehyung is Still Alive.

Matchless Love

Jaehwan’s PoV.

                I couldn’t find Seokjin anywhere.

                In vain, I tried to call his name again, my voice cracking from the strain.

                I walked through our house one last time, collapsing on my knees suddenly.

                My chest heaved as I began to sob.

                Seokjin was gone.

                He was really, truly, gone.

                Forever.

                “Seokjin, why did you leave? I- I never meant it…

                “I’m sorry…”

Namjoon’s PoV.

                I got off of work, early as usual. The Society had given me only half a work day, seeing as I was also tasked with the responsibility of keeping Jungkook safe. They arranged it so I would get off when he did.

                It was useful, in many ways.

                Nobody was ever at the station to bother me, leaving me to my own thoughts and fantasies.

                But today of all days, the loneliness haunted me more than anything.

                Jungkook was gone, Seokjin was gone. Everybody who cared about me, everybody who I cared for. Gone.

                I sighed, making up my mind as I boarded the train heading to the residential sector.

                “Seokjin… What have you gotten yourself into?”

Yoongi’s PoV.

                “Min Yoongi.”

                I sat, unmoving, in front of my now blank computers.

                “Min Yoongi!”

                I did not move.

                They had really done it. They had really run away.

                “Yoongi, I love you.”

                “Taehyung, no. We can’t-“

                “Please.”

                “I- I can’t.”

                “Please, Yoongi.”

                “…”

                “…”

                “Fine.”

                “Min Yoongi!” The man yelled, hitting me on the side of the head in a less-than-playful manner. “Don’t you dare slip back into your memories, this is your fault! Either you find Kim Seokjin and Jeon Jungkook, or we kill anyone and everyone associated with this. You have the chance to save a few lives. Now go do it.”

                I turned around slowly, a scowl permanently worn onto my face. “You killed my Taehyung. And you took my Jungkook from me. I won’t make anyone else go through this. Rather I die than any of them.”

                Slap.

                “Min Yoongi, this is not a choice! Now go!” He shoved a duffel bag towards me, a gun lying on top.

                My hands shaking, I took them slowly.

                I could shoot him right now.

                I could put a bullet through his head and I’d never need to deal with him again.

                No more pain.

No more hitting.

                But then…

                No more Taehyung.

                No more Jungkook.

                I stood up slowly, holstering the gun in the side of the duffel and slinging the bag over my shoulder. “Fine.” I snarled, standing up. “I’ll play your little game.”

                He nodded, grabbing me by my collar and dragging me to a small door next to the one he had entered through. The door swung open automatically, revealing a small train compartment like the ones civilians use to get to their homes. “This will take you as far of the city limits. I trust you will not fail. Do not come back unless the traitors are with you.”

                I nodded, stepping inside slowly.

                “Oh, and, one more thing.”

                I looked up. “What?” I said irritably.

                “Taehyung’s still alive.” He said, and pressed a button, sealing the door closed as the small train began to move.

                My mind spun, repeating the words over and over again.

                Taehyung’s still alive.

                Taehyung’s still alive.

                He’s still here, he’s still surviving.

                Is he okay?

                Taehyung, are they hurting you?

                I curled up into a ball, releasing a loud, pent-up scream of all my anger and frustration.

                I could almost sense him next to me, hand on my forehead.

                “Yoongi, you’re stressing again. Get up off the floor, you have to do your job!”

                “Taehyung… I miss you…” I mumbled, looking around for him, although I couldn’t see where the voice came from.

                “Yoongi… I love you, okay?”

                “Stop… A- Are they hurting you? Are you alive?”

                “Yoongi. Yoongi! Ah, you’re so cute when you’re scared. I’m not here to hurt you, don’t worry.”

                I put my head in my hands, sobbing. “Where are you? I- I can’t see you… Why are you doing this?”

                “Yoongi, you need to eat. Please eat. You look so thin… It’s not good for cuddling with you.”

                Wait.

I remembered that conversation.

                “T- Taehyung? They’re recordings of you, aren’t they?”

                “You have such a cute son, Yoongi! He’ll grow up to be just as beautiful as you, I’m sure.”

                I crawled into a corner of the train, covering my ears and trying to block out the tormenting sound of his voice. It was so full of energy, so rich and beautiful.

                And he was alive.

                If they were even telling the truth about that.

                Taehyung. My love. My life. My everything.

                He was alive.

                And they were torturing me with his voice, taunting me with what I could have.

                But I couldn’t have it.

                “Please don’t ignore me, Yoongi. J- Just one more kiss, please. I can’t leave you.”

                “I love you. I love you, I’ve always loved you, and I always will.”

                “Jungkookie, you’re not mad at your dad and me, are you?”

                “Yoongi…”

                “Ah, it’s just a scratch, Jungkook! You’re just as tough as your dad, you’ll recover~”

                It was too painful.

                I couldn’t take it.

                My hand tightened around the gun as I made up my mind.

                “I’ll do it for you, Taetae…”

Namjoon’s PoV.

                It was easy to follow the path Seokjin and Yoongi had taken.

                Too easy.

                I sighed, shifting the bag of necessities I had taken. “Jin, you idiot…”

                Motivated by the thought of seeing him, I broke into a run as soon as I reached the city’s limits.

                Weird… Shouldn’t they have some sort of security measures?

                They’re probably hidden. It’s better if I just run for it.

                I broke into a sprint, trying to put as much distance between me and the Society as possible. I began to breathe heavily and sweat, only able to keep going in hopes of seeing Seokjin and Jungkook again.

                The forest surrounding our Society was said to be off-limits, although it seemed just like a more heavily vegetated version of the park.

                I stopped after about two miles of full-on sprinting, practically collapsing on the ground as I gasped for breath.

                I looked down at the ground, locking my eyes on Seokjin and Jungkook’s footprints again.

                Just a little bit more…

                I thought about Seokjin, about Jungkook and him together, trying to run away and simply hoping that I would catch up.

                “If you want to come find me, follow the sunset, okay?”

                Thank goodness the sun was already setting. I got up and began dragging myself towards the horizon, using every last bit of strength to propel myself forward.

                Finally, I began to run again.

                Bad choice.

                I kept running, despite my lungs screaming for air.

                I just wanted to see Seokjin and Jungkook again.

                I paced myself a bit better, continuing my trek for hours.

                Anything to see them again.

                As quickly as I could, I ran through the forest as the sun began to dip just beneath the horizon.

                I was so close to giving up when I finally heard hushed voices talking. I slowed my pace, coming to a stop behind a particularly thick cluster of trees. I covered my mouth to muffle the sounds as my lungs burned with the need of oxygen.

                “Seokjin, is Namjoon going to come?”

                “H- He has to, Jungkook. Just wait here until tomorrow, okay? And rest.”

                “We’re not far out, only maybe 13 miles, Seokjin. Anyone could catch up.”

                I stumbled into a clearing where Seokjin and Jungkook lay, staring up at the stars above.

                Seokjin stood up as soon as he saw me. “N- Namjoon?”

                Jungkook looked up, smiling for what could be the first time in years. “You came!”

                I walked towards Seokjin, smiling weakly. “I’m here,” I managed to say, black spots dancing in my vision.

                I fell into his arms, barely holding myself upright. Seokjin pressed his lips to mine, smiling so bright that it seemed the sun was still up. “You’re here…” he whispered.

                I continued gasping for breath, putting my arms around him. Seokjin put his hand up to my forehead, face scrunched up in worry. “Namjoon, how long have you been running?”

                I smiled and shrugged, shakily holding up three fingers. Three hours, maybe?

                As if transformed into a mother, Seokjin laid me down and had me promise to rest for at least a day before running again. Before I could protest, he had already asked Jungkook to make sure nobody found them, to which he hesitantly agreed.

                My breathing slowly became steadier, watching as Seokjin and Jungkook rushed around in an attempt to build makeshift defenses around our small clearing, in case anyone found us.

                He came back over once they had finished and instructed me to take off my shirt.

                “It’s so you can cool off better. And because I think you’d look great without one,” he quickly clarified, smirking slightly.

                I nodded, doing as I was told. “S- Seokjin?”

                “Yeah?” He turned around, looking at me.

                I smiled weakly. “Thanks. For everything.”

                He became flustered, rubbing the back of his neck and laughing nervously. “Ah, don’t worry about it! I was just looking out for you! I’m sorry we’re in this mess…”

                I shook my head, smiling. “No, you shouldn’t apologize. You’re doing the right thing, Seokjin.”

                He smiled, laying down next to me and resting his head on my shoulder, entwining his hand with mine.

                “As long as I’m with you, anything I do will be the right thing.”