Fourteen

Talk to Me

Hi people as you can see there's a cover and i'm sorry if it's ugly that's all I can do with my poor editing skills. I've been wanting to do one ever since and finally! After thirteen chapters here it is. So great huh. Now you know I have a thing for doing covers in the middle of the plot.

 

And to all onces who can’t attend twiceland, kamusta na tayo XD but as much as I’m brooding, hope all the onces who will attend enjoy the concert :)

 

Anyway, currently banging my head into the wall after writing this so here's a warning:

I want all of you to take a deep breath before reading this because you never know what's about to come :))))

 


 

 

"Can you please stop fidgeting for a while?" Jihyo nudges Nayeon's side, making her flinch at the contact.

 

"Sorry, I can't think straight." Nayeon mumbles.

 

"When did you ever think straight?"

 

"When do you ever shut up?"

 

"Stop bickering you two. The program is starting." Rosé, their fellow teacher tries to keep them silent and Nayeon could only lower her head.

 

"Still think she's going to be angry at you?" Jihyo says as she smiles animatedly to the parents and everyone crossing her path.

 

"I still think she's not going to attend." Nayeon answers, in a matter-of-fact tone. She smiles but the sadness is evident in her eyes. "I evaded her the whole week what makes you think she still wants to talk to me?"

 

"Well, that... that's true." Jihyo mutters, running out of positive things to say to her friend. "Why avoid her for the whole week, though? I still don't get how your brain works sometimes."

 

"Oh Jihyo!" The teachers look up at the two and found Momo waving her hands strenuously, looking really excited to see her.

 

"Hi Momo. What brings you he— oh and Jisoo, hello."

 

"Hi Miss Im," Momo looks at her and beams a smile. Nayeon only smiles and bows.

 

Nayeon sees the sisters's mother behind them and she raises a brow with the bow she just did. Feeling nervous all of a sudden.

 

Now she's here... does she have to look so scary? It's not like this is the first time I saw her.

 

"Only you two?" Jihyo asks, chatting with her friends as Nayeon tries to get away with the talk but Jihyo holds her arm and that is a sign that she needs her to stay.

 

"Ow, I feel hurt. And yes it's only us." Momo glances at a briefly sad Nayeon.

 

"The program is starting any moment. Please proceed to the gymnasium. Sana and her classmates are already preparing." Nayeon says, a smile that she's used to give to people naturally coming out. An act of courtesy.

 

Both Jihyo and Nayeon watch as the three proceed to walk and Nayeon enters the room hastily. Suddenly tense seeing Mina's mother there.

 

Maybe that is why Sana is absent last week.

 

"Hey," Jihyo follows. "Everything alright?" She places an arm on Nayeon's shoulder, to reassure her she's there. "I'm alright. Just doing some last minute preparations." She says, trying to convince herself.

 

I probably scared her.

 

She'll act as if she's not disappointed. Not sad that Mina isn't there. She won't admit it but she really misses the doctor and she might go crazy if she doesn't see her again. Nayeon has been rolling around her bed the whole night, imagining how things would be if Mina ever confronts her and she readies herself with a few possible scenarios.

 

But this time, Mina didn't attend and Nayeon would be lying if she says a part of her feels empty by the thought. Nayeon is hoping that at least she'll attend for the sake of her sister. Even if she doesn't want to talk to her anymore at least for Sana, she'll arrive.

 

Nayeon tried to hide the sadness intending to cloud her mind with the fake smile again. Heaving a sigh, she goes out and proceeds to the stage. Jihyo follows shortly after.

 

 

****

 

 

"So, you dedided to come." Mina's mother sneered as soon as she sits down. "I knew you couldn't resist Sana, what a good older sister."

 

Mina rolls her eyes playfully, "You practically forced me to. You posted post it notes in every corner of the house how would I feel about that?"

 

"Also, you're a bit late. Their principal has been speaking for a while now, and soon after the class of Sana will perform." Mina nods to what her mother says, busy watching Momo and Jisoo get entertained with the cute children in front of them.

 

"Oh! One more," Mina turns her head at her mother. "Your girlfriend doesn't know you're here and you made her sad. What to do?"

 

Mina has slightly opened and a raised brow. "I don't see how any of that is a problem. And mother, for the last time she is not my girlfriend."

 

"Yea, yeah, say that to yourself." Her mother whistles and hums, leaving Mina to look at her in disbelief. "I can't believe this."

 

Mina crosses her legs, doesn't know what made her get up and follow them to the school, maybe it's for Sana or... it's for Sana who is she kidding?

 

As much as Mina wants to deny it herself, her eyes tries to find a certain teacher in the room, almost impossible since there's lots of people compared to the usual and she's having a rather hard time finding her.

 

She finds herself in a daze, the principal still speaking and Mina couldn't wait for it to finish so she can finally watch her sister and roam around the rooms and check whatever it is they prepared. (She would roam around just to find a certain teacher, believe it.)

 

Finally, after engulfing herself with her thoughts. She looks up and there she sees Nayeon, with her usual bunny smile and Mina feels her heart beating so fast she couldn't hear anything other than that.

 

She didn't know how much she longs for Nayeon until now, after a week of avoiding each other.

 

Her three other companions stared knowingly at her, and she's sure Jisoo and Momo are planning something again, but she doesn't care, as of the moment all she wants is to look at her. A week did really feel like forever.

 

She senses Jisoo starting to sing a love song and that made Mina snap at them and glare, only receiving a laugh from both of them. Mina's mother keeps on looking back and forth between Mina and Nayeon. The teacher is, unfortunately, on the other side and is pretty far from where they are sitting but that doesn’t stop Mina from staring at her.

 

It might be weird and creepy but she couldn't tear her gaze away. As much as she tried to. (She's not trying.)

 

Finally, the speech with the principal is finished. And the little ones emerge out of the stage. She sees Sana in a cute squirrel suit and they began dancing to a song.

 

It definitely brought a smile to the people inside, seeing their children really cute and dancing like that? Mina wants to squeeze Sana's cheeks as soon as she comes back.

 

A round of applause is given, and Mina stands up to welcome the running Sana.

 

 

****

 

 

"... Jihyo she's here." Nayeon is wide-eyed, frozen upon seeing her face again.

 

"What? Who is here?" Jihyo looks around before looking nervously at Nayeon. "Nayeon? Who?"

 

"It's Mina. She's here, ."

 

"Stop cursing, and what if she's here. Yay, right? You finally see her again." Nayeon raises a brow to what her friend is saying.

 

"What do you mean 'yay'? I am doomed. I am in trouble. This is bad, oh no."

 

"Wait, wait! Where are you going?" Jihyo eyes the slowly stepping back Nayeon who did not leave her gaze from Mina.

 

"Just somewhere." She says before dashing out of Jihyo's sight.

 

 

****

 

 

"Good job Sanaring." Momo ruffles the small child's head. Sana only gives a shy smile whenever she's being praised. And the adults could only sigh with the cute child in front of them.

 

"Mom is so proud of you, Sana." Their mother smiles at them and Sana gives her a kiss on the cheek taking her by surprise. Mina who is carrying Sana tried to go away because she is sure her sister is going to kiss her next so— "there!"

 

Mina pretends to dislike it, and they all laugh.

 

"Where do you want to go now?" Momo asks, people were scattered all over the school, and yeah it's a school fair after all with many designs and lots of confetti and decorations. It's too colorful, Mina thinks.

 

"To our classroom! We'll show you my works!" Sana says excitedly but Mina is feeling the opposite. She quickly puts down Sana as the child skips away to her room. The other three stare weirdly at her until she breaks the silence. "You go on. I think I'll roam around a bit more."

 

It is a lame excuse but she's desperate to go away.

 

Momo and Jisoo understood it immediately, following Sana but her mother stayed, her eyes narrowing on Mina.

 

"Are you still going to avoid this? Avoid her? So what will happen now, huh? You just avoid each other for the rest of your lives?"

 

Mina sighs, gaping like a fish, closing and opening, unable to say something because her mother is certainly right.

 

"She's the one avoiding me. There's no point going after her."

 

"What? You really are an idiot. Mina it doesn't mean that giving that person space is ignoring them forever. Don't you think a week is too long already?" Her mother crosses her arms. Mina looks everywhere but her.

 

"She might be scared, confused, if you don't clear this up with her. And we are not going home until you fix things with her. Understood?"

 

Mina nods lazily, eyes losing hope. "Here I thought you really wanted me to go because of Sana. But really, give me a minute. I want to roam around."

 

Her mother, feeling the sincerity in her words nods and lets her be.

 

Why is this so nerve wrecking?

 

 

****

 

 

"Jeongyeon, right?" Mina approaches the woman slowly, careful of her actions.

 

"Yes. Doc Myoui? Nice to see you here. What do you need?" Jeongyeon crosses her arms, and Mina suddenly feels small around her.

 

"I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you but it's... it's about Nayeon." She mutters softly and Jeongyeon raises a brow in amusement.

 

"Oh, really? Give me a minute."

 

Mina waits outside as Jeongyeon tries to leave her students who, by the looks of it, doesn't want to let her go. After a few giggles and laughs, Jeongyeon finally comes out and stands beside Mina. They stood near the railing, watching everyone below them move like ants.

 

"So?" Jeongyeon starts.

 

"Is Nayeon, perhaps angry at me?"

 

The sudden sound that Jeongyeon did made Mina tremble. And before she knew it, Jeongyeon is trying to stifle her laughs. "Come on. Nayeon? Hates you? Probably never."

 

"Then why is she avoiding me like I'm some kind of a plague?"

 

"You really know nothing about this, huh?" Jeongyeon exhales.

 

"I guess... maybe. I don't know?"

 

"Nayeon is not angry at you. She's just really embarrassed for what she did. I think you should be talking to Nayeon right now but I need to help you out. If you could just talk to her then you'll get what I mean."

 

"Where do I even start?" Mina says, her eyebrows burrowing as she pinches the bridge of her nose.

 

"Maybe start from there." Jeongyeon points somewhere below them and Mina follows it.

 

She sees Nayeon surrounded by high school students, and just happily talking to her students.

 

"She's that beautiful, huh? I couldn't blame them trying to get near her. If I were them I'd prolly do the same." Mina says, a feeling in her chest burns and suddenly she's all nervous again.

 

She frowned when she sees the same guy, the one she saw walking back with Nayeon and the incident last week, stood beside her. Mina doesn't even bother knowing his name, all she knows is that the feeling she currently has is uncomfortable and kind of hurts.

 

Damn it, Mina thinks. It's now or never.

 

 

****

 

 

Mina took the chance and stood beside the teacher as soon as she got down. Nayeon still has no idea about her since Mina came from behind. The students she was chatting to have their mouths agape and eyes open as they stare at Mina.

 

"So pretty..." One of the students mutters and Mina couldn't bite back a smile from this.

 

Nayeon raises a brow, she knows for sure they are not looking at her so who... oh.

 

Oh, no.

 

"Hello," Mina whispers to her and just like that, Nayeon is frozen to the core; she couldn't hide the blush threatening to come because why does she have to whisper?

 

As much as Nayeon is panicking on the inside, she needs to remain her composure in front of the students.

 

"Okay, I'll see you later! Enjoy the fair." Then Nayeon leaves, leaving Mina dumbfounded. She couldn't follow as the students took their time admiring her. Asking her questions and one almost fainted knowing she's a doctor.

 

"What an ideal type." One said and Mina chuckles.

 

Okay, then. I'll talk to her later.

 

 

****

 

 

"I'll go grab food, Jeong. Wait for me here." Nayeon stands up from her seat and walks over to the line forming in the cafeteria.

 

She is humming, and she doesn't even know someone is listening all this time.

 

"When you said you had the best voice, I wasn't expecting it to be this good."

 

Nayeon jumped from her place, knowing fully whose voice is that. She doesn't dare turn around, because Mina is whispering once again, and she doesn't want to melt in front of everyone.

 

"Miss Im, you really won't talk to me. Don't you?"

 

We're back with formalities, great.

 

She didn't answer anymore, only the loud noise of the crowd is heard and Mina is really getting annoyed by this. The person behind them suddenly lunges forward, making all the people in front push themselves like a domino.

 

Nayeon shrieks and she knows she is about to fall when a hand encircles her waist and pulls her closer. "Are you alright?" An obviously worried Mina asks her. And Nayeon almost says no because one, Mina is somewhat back hugging her, and two, who would be okay when she's this close to you.

 

Nayeon hears the way Mina's heart is pounding and she realizes they are too close for comfort.

 

"I-I'm fine." She pulls away from Mina and leaves the cafeteria with a burning face. Not bothering to look back or whatever because she'll see that angelic face of Mina and Nayeon would have to run again.

 

"Where is your food? I thought you'd grab some?" Jeongyeon asks, looking at her friend as she sits down.  Nayeon fans herself, and Jeongyeon could only stare at her weirdly. "I remembered I'm on a diet today. So nevermind."

 

Jeongyeon raises a brow, "Diet? You've been eating donuts the whole week."

 

"It's a donut diet." Nayeon argues. Jeongyeon only rolls her eyes.

 

Nayeon thinks she'd rather starve herself than face the shame that she feels every time she sees Myoui Mina.

 

 

****

 

 

Mina looks at the retreating back of Nayeon and couldn't help but purse her lips in a thin line. She grabs the food tray that the lady serves her and turns around at the guy who pushed everyone and caused a domino effect a while ago.

 

"Next time, please be careful. You're bothering people with how you behave like that here. This is a public place and you're not the only one who is here." She says annoyed, and stomps out of the cafeteria.

 

And of course, if fate must be really playing with her (Or helping her.), there at one of the hallways, she sees Jihyo.

 

"Jihyo? Did you see Nayeon?" Mina asks, walking towards her, still holding the food tray full of food. She remembers how Nayeon didn't wait for her turn and walked away immediately.

 

"She's inside with us. Saying she's on a donut diet of some sort." Jihyo smiles at her and Mina thinks the whole sun is right in front of her. Jihyo's smile spreads too much positivity.

 

"Then can you please give this to her? And don't tell her that I'm the one who brought this. Just say you got it or something."

 

Jihyo smirks at her, "Why don't you do it yourself?"

 

"Are you crazy? She'll walk away as soon as I step inside and besides I don't know anyone there."

 

Jihyo nods, what Mina said makes sense. "Alright, doc."

 

"Thank you," Mina smiles at her as a sign of her being grateful and she turns around.

 

Trying to talk to her is harder than I thought.

 

 

****

 

 

"Momo unnie, where are you going?" Sana asks as they eat on a table, finding Momo who is already fixing her things.

 

"As much as I'd like to stay I have a shift this afternoon, Sanaring." Momo smile sadly, regret somehow present in her voice.

 

Sana frowns and Momo walks over to her side.

 

"What? I thought you'd spend the rest of the day with us." Mina questions.

 

"Well," Momo drags Mina away for a moment, leaving her confused. "What?"

 

Momo's aura changed immediately the moment they were alone and that terrified Mina. "W-What is it?"

 

"If you don't clear things with Miss Nayeon today, Mina. I don't know what I'll do anymore. So don't miss the chance and at least talk to her. I would want that when I arrive tomorrow you two announced your marriage and I—"

 

"Wait, wait. Marriage? Slow down, Momoring. We're not even there."

 

"What, I thought you guys are engaged already? All this time I thought you two are together." Mina shakes her head in disbelief as Momo chuckles, lightly tapping her friend on the shoulder.

 

"Anyway, I'll get going. Bye Mina. Bye Jisoo and Mama Myoui and Sana, you did a good job today."

 

Momo waves goodbye as she exits and Mina walks back to where they're sitting.

 

"A few hours and it'll be dismissal, unnie." Sana reminds her, and Mina could only shake her head.

 

"All of you had been acting really weird. Like something big will happen today. Will you quit it? It's not really helping me."

 

The other three snickers as they see Mina pressured with the situation.

 

 

****

 

 

I think I'm doing a good job. I don't see her everywhere now.

 

Nayeon peeks outside their room. Few hours have passed and fortunately, the people are slowly decreasing. It makes sense since they're dismissed early for today.

 

She enters her classroom where the artworks of her students are still clipped, and she's glad she's alone for a moment, after talking to parents, and students, Finally a peace of mind.

 

Until she hears the click of a door and she looks up.

 

OH NO NO NO NO NOT YET

 

"Don't you think you've been avoiding me too much already?" Mina says, closing the door behind her and walking towards Nayeon to which, again, she walks away.

 

"No? I mean... I'm not even avoiding you. What made you say that?" Nayeon awkwardly laughs, sweat starting to form on the sides of her head and her heart beating abnormally.

 

Is it alright for you to beat too fast and loud?

 

"If you could just talk to me, Nayeon. I'll stop." Mina steps closer and Nayeon feels her face getting red each second passing. She tries to walk away but finds herself cornered. A table is behind her back, preventing her from going back further.

 

"Why did you ignore me the whole week? I tried calling you and everything but you didn't even give me a chance to say something." Mina mutters softly but the gaze in her eyes is far from that.

 

"I-I was busy doing the... y-you're too near." Nayeon shuts as she realizes just how close Mina had become and she's afraid she'll be scared if she hears her heartbeat echoing around the room.

 

Mina takes a step back, realizing what she was doing and finally gives Nayeon some distance.

 

"As I said, I was busy preparing for the school fair and uhm..." she swallowed, couldn't concentrate if Mina still looks at her like that.

 

"I'll go straight to the point. Did you really mean what you said?" Mina crosses her arms, gaze intent on Nayeon, but Nayeon on the other hand, couldn't even look at her.

 

"What did I say?" Now she's getting really nervous.

 

"You said you love me, please just answer. I'm really confused right now. You keep on messing with my mind and I think I'm going crazy if ever I don't clear things out with you right now." Mina paces around the room, and Nayeon feels guilty for making her feel like that. Worry is plastered on Mina's face, and she can't do anything to calm her down.

 

"I... uh... uhm." Nayeon hesitates if only her pounding heart could calm down she'd be really grateful right now. This isn't easy.

 

She takes a deep breathe before clearing the lump in and answering. "I mean it."

 

It obviously took Mina aback, with how she suddenly stopped in the middle of her pacing and how she slowly turned to look at Nayeon.

 

Nayeon couldn't decipher the expression on Mina's face so she quickly makes different signs with her hands while shaking her head. "B-But it's alright if you don't feel the same. I completely understand. That really just came out of nowhere and it's a really stupid move, and it's alright, I'm not expecting you to feel the same. No worries. You don't have to feel burdened and all." Nayeon says, not realizing she's already rambling in front of Mina.

 

"I completely understand if you just want to be friends. It's not like I have any problem about it. You know what? Forget that what I said happened. So for my sake please just go away and leave like we're friends?" By this time Nayeon's eyes are glued on the floor, her head lowered and her hands frozen cold. The heat on her cheeks says otherwise, and after a few minutes of silence. Mina still doesn't speak.

 

"That's the problem, Miss Im." Mina finally says, feels like she's whispering again. "I don't want us to be just friends."

 

Nayeon bolts her head to look at Mina faster than light, and she expects a mocking smile, a laugh. But there's none. All she sees is sincerity in Mina's eyes.

 

"I-I mean..." Mina takes a deep breathe, "I don't want to be just friends with you, Nayeon. I want us to be something more. You really don't realize your effect on me, huh?"

 

"Every time I think about you, I smile unknowingly. Every time I see you, my heart does things I don't even understand at this point and it's happening again right now. Every day I look forward to getting Sana because it means I have an excuse to see you. When I think of you, I just remember all the things we do and god, that smile of yours could save lives. I don't even have any idea on what I'm saying anymore because this is not really my thing but if you understand what I'm trying to say..."

 

Mina feels something soft pressed against her cheek, and she freezes in track. Eyes wide, only to see Nayeon giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I… understand what you're trying to say." She mutters shyly.

 

Mina pulls back away in haste, a hand rested on the cheek where Nayeon just kissed and Mina blinks furiously, trying to assimilate what just happened.

 

"What... what did you just do?!" The sudden raise of voice surprises Nayeon and she feels herself drowning in shame after realizing what she just did.

 

"I-I honestly don't know. Please forget about that." Nayeon bows repeatedly.

 

Everything is a mess, Mina red as a tomato and Nayeon isn't any better. Their hearts beating in symphony as it echoes around the small room.

 

Mina holds Nayeon's arm to stop her from bowing again. She thinks she's looking so silly now after all the bowing. Unfortunately, Nayeon hits Mina on the chin as she stops, and they stumble backwards, and Nayeon finds herself sitting on the table.

 

"I'm so sorry. Are you alright?"

 

She cups Mina's face and lifts her head to check if she's alright. Not realizing how close they have been. Mina feels her breath hitched at the sight, and Nayeon's soul could have disappeared.

 

"I..." Mina mutters, her eyes tracing Nayeon's features until it lands on the latter's lips and Mina feels tempted to lean forward.

 

Mina looks at Nayeon's eyes again, asking for permission. There are no words needed, they seem to understand what the other wants already. Mina is leaning, slowly but careful, and her heart beats even faster when she sees Nayeon close her eyes. Not waiting for anything anymore, she grabs the chance and...

 

"Nay—oh, oh! oh. Oh my god. Uhh."

 

The two immediately pulled away from each other, as far as they can be with Mina moving until she hits the wall on the other end, and Nayeon dragging her feet towards the person who just disturb whatever is about to happen.

 

"Yes, Jeong?" Disappointment sure is evident in Nayeon's tone, along with a hint of annoyance, and a little bit of anger.

 

Jeongyeon fake coughs because she clearly hears how forced Nayeon's voice is. She glances at Mina who is doing something in her pocket, and keeps her head down. Probably embarrassed with what happened.

 

Cute. Nayeon thinks before she sends daggers back to Jeongyeon.

 

"T-The principal wants to meet the teachers at the gymnasium. I was finding you everywhere but I guess you're busy." Jeongyeon winks at her and Nayeon feels herself blushing mad again.

 

"Anyway, sorry but I'm disturbing something, right Doc Myoui?" Jeongyeon teasingly says, earning a glare from Nayeon.

 

"No. Absolutely nothing. You can go now. I'm about to go home anyway." Mina mutters finally having the courage to lift her head after the tension that just happened.

 

"Go, I'll follow after." Nayeon pushes Jeongyeon out as she makes kissy sounds and all of that.

 

"So..." The two were unable to look at each other in the eye until Nayeon walks back to her and does something unexpected.

 

It feels like what Mina has imagined. Everything going slow-mo. The only thing she hears is her heart beating so loud against her chest. And all she feels is Nayeon's soft lips against her own.

 

It was only a peck, a lingering kiss yet it made Mina's heart swell with affection.

 

"Uhm. Nayeon what does that mean?"

 

"What do you think it means?" The last thing she hears from Nayeon before she goes outside. 

 

Mina is left inside the room, still pondering with her thoughts as she thinks about all the things that occured. Maybe, starting from now, things won't be the same anymore.