The Volleyball Match (EXO)

Descendants of Idols

※ This is, of course, a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual people - living or dead, places, true events, incidents etc. are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner, and are purely coincidental.

※ SNIPPET: 2nd year student, Captain Kim Jongsoo, of the Yoogun All Boys Preparatory High School’s volleyball team, made clear hints that he liked 3rd year student, Oh Sehan, the team’s doe eyed, manager. All he wants for his birthday is recognition.

※ BL / fluffy / comedy / volleyball AU

※ Certain information have been altered to fit with the story.

※ This story was created on January 10, 2015 (;_;)

Author Coffeemilk corner: This was made to celebrate Jongsoo's birthday, which is January 13. :T and yet, here we are. It has been a hot minute since I've played volleyball.

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

“Setter! Setter!!”

The volleyball in play was set up towards one of the winged spikers. It was beautifully hit, deep in the corner of the court.

“Yeah!!” The winning team, huddled up and gave each other a ‘good job’, and ‘nice spike’. The whistle blew, and both teams started to jog towards their couch.

“Nice scrimmage everyone,” the coach of Yoogun All Boys Preparatory High School, Bang Chiwon, said with much happiness in his face, “we will be ready for the game on Tuesday.”

“Yosh, that's Jongsoo’s birthday!!” Yitao, the team’s top middle blocker beamed as he heard that their match with Seuta High School was on the same day as his captain’s birthday. “Captain!! You are getting old!” With that being said, Baekyeol, the team’s setter, hit the other in the back of the head.

“Yah, no speaking like that to the captain!!”

“I was just...joking…”

The said captain beamed, happy to know that his teammates remembered his birthday. Kim Jongsoo, a 2nd year in Yoogun Preparatory High School has it made already for him. Parents both being an alumni of Yoogun Prep were part of the athletic booster club, him being the class representative, president of the cooking club, and even blessed with the sport of volleyball. He sighed, letting his smile falter a bit. ‘Hm.’ Why is it that he had all these good things, but he couldn’t have the one person to make it all complete. Jongsoo glanced over at Oh Sehan, a 3rd year, and the team’s manager. The doe-eyed, doll glanced over at the captain, before huffing, and turning his head away. Feeling his heart being stabbed, Jongsoo internally weeped.

“Yosh,” Yitao called out for him, “you awake? You in there?” He draped over his arm, pulling him in for a hug.

“Stop that, Yitao! God, you’re heavy! That tallness of yours comes with heaviness.”

“Hm,” he pursed his lips, “not my fault that I’m 187cm…blame my tall parents for that!” He beamed, before Jongsoo started to pinch him on the cheek.

“Ahem, well,” Chiwon looked over at Sehan, asking for the scheduling and today’s stats of their players, “hm, due to unfortunate circumstances, our regular volleyball schedule is a bit pushed up closer to the districts. I’m proud of all of you for working hard that we are able to make it to the semi-finals. We have one more to go for the championships. You know what that means...we get to battle against the top schools all over Korea. That is when we will show that we are the best in Korea!” With that being said, it started to get the others pumped up. “As you know, we are going up with Seuta High...one of our strongest rivals, indeed. Looking over at today’s stats that Sehan wrote, I’ll be starting with Jongsoo, Yitao, Baekyeol...Kwanghyok, Namil, and Yunru.” ‘With Jongsoo and Namil, our winged spikers will be good up against their defenses...Yitao and Kwanghyok, god bless their height, can block them for sure...Baekyeol’s setting is getting better and better after the practice matches we had last week, definite improvement...and Yunru’s libero talent we will be good when they do deep spikes in the back.’ Chiwon, got his pen from his pocket, and started to make a note of it. “Good work for today guys, last minute stretches, then put away the equipment!”

“Yes!” The team said in unison.

Jongsoo and his team formed a circle. The captain started to lead in the count, starting with arm stretches. Sehan watched as the team started to stretch, before he heard his name being called from the gymnasium door. He jogged over, smiling at his two underclassmen, Zhang Joonxing and Kim Xiuchen. “Hey guys, whats up?”

“Are you almost done with volleyball?” Xiuchen asked softly, in which Sehan nodded his head, “great! We were gonna head out for dinner. Wanna join?”

“Oh, thanks for the invite, but I have some studying to do,” he clasped his hands together, and showing his apologetic smile, “sorry, maybe next time…”

“Okay, well, walk home safe.” Joonxing smiled, adjusting his bag that was on his shoulder. With that, the two underclassmen left, while Sehan headed over to the coach.

“Coach? Can I leave early?”

“Hm? Sure,” Chiwon beamed, “great work today, Sehan.”

“Great work.”

Jongsoo looked over to the side, seeing the manager leaving the gymnasium. In the spur of the moment, he told the vice captain, Woong, to continue on with the ending stretches. “Eh?! B-But Jongsoo --”

“Please?! I’ll buy you a latte tomorrow morning! Promise! Okay, thanks, bye!! Good work for today everyone!” Not even letting coach get a say in it, Jongsoo sprinted after Sehan. Both Yitao and Baekyeol glanced at each other before letting out a chuckle.

Yitao leaned over to the setter, “he sure has an infatuation for him, huh?”

“Of course, Sehan is such a doll,” with that being said, Yitao bit the inside of his cheek, “his mom, being a drama actor back in China, and his father being a model here...you are bound to have good genes. Ah, so lucky!”

“Didn’t...didn’t his parents separate? I heard it from one of the guys.”

“Hm,” Baekyeol nodded, “yeah...just recently...it’s sad because they looked like a great couple, and I was worried about Sehan since didn’t show any emotion behind it when he came to school the next day. Looks like he is coping up...hm, I’m surprised you didn’t know...the media covered it remember?”

“I...don’t watch a lot of tv...or use the internet that much...and I don’t read the newspaper that much either…”

Baekyeol raised his eyebrow, but soon shook his head. “Um, okay...wow.”

“I breath volleyball, man. It’s all I do...and wushu! I love wushu too.”

“Okay…” Baekyeol started to step to the side, more towards their other setter, their 1st year transfer student, Haruaki.

“Hm?” Haruaki tilted his head to the side, wondering what went wrong, "something...happened?" He asked softly.

“Yitao is being weird again.”

“Eh?!”

“I-I’m not being weird!!”

“Yah,” Coach, flicked Yitao gently on the head, “stretch the legs now!”

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

Sehan closed the door of their club room where all the teams bags and such were stored. He swung his bag over his head, as he started to descend from the steps. At the bottom of the steps was Jongsoo, leaning against the wall and glancing down at his red volleyball shoes.

‘Hm?’ “Jongsoo?”

The said person’s head perked up, and smiled brightly at the other. “Sehan! Erm, uh…,” he pushed himself off from the wall, “...um, you wanna walk home together?”

Sehan shook his head, in the most polite way as possible, and started to walk passed the other. “You live on the opposite side of me. It will be late by the time you get home. Plus I have plans already...um, with some friends.”

“Oh...well...” he started to slow down in his steps, and watched as Sehan’s back was heading further and further away from him. Sehan looked over his shoulder, and stopped walking. Jongsoo paused, and waited for his next choice of words. “Walk safe, Sehan...when you go home.” He gave a weak smile. ‘Another shut down.’ He hummed.

Sehan blinked a couple of times, before nodding his head. With that he started to pick up his pace, down the hallway. Once he the corner, Jongsoo started to whine, and slumped down on the ground. “Not again…”

“Not again for sure.” He turned around, seeing his two friends, Yitao and Baekyeol, in their volleyball track suits. Yitao chuckled, while Baekyeol ended up rolling his eyes. “Shut down.” Yitao said, before lending out a hand for the other to take. Jongsoo gladly accepted it, and Yitao pulled him right up.

“I don’t get it...I try and talk to him, he ignores me, or sometimes doesn’t want to talk to me...when I try and make plans with him, he declines...and when we exchange glances...he huffs, in the cutest way by the way, and turns his head away from me! Am I unattractive?!”

“Yep!” Yitao sticked out his tongue playfully.

“Yitao, you’re not helping!” Jongsoo tried to punch Yitao on the shoulder, but missed.

“Just give it up then…” Baekyeol cracked his head to the side, “it's clear that he doesn’t...well, want you.”

“So, blunt, but I would like him to give me a chance you know?! I’m a great guy!”

“We know you are.”

“Then why won’t he give me a chance?!”

“We don’t know, Jongsoo...maybe he doesn’t...want to be in a relationship right now.” Baekyeol scratched his cheek, “he is a 3rd year ya know...maybe he is focusing on his studies.”

‘Oh, that's true...’ “Hm, it is just reminding me that he will be graduating soon…”

It fell silent, before Yitao patted his shoulder. “Hey, lets get dinner.”

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

Sehan arrived to his empty apartment and the lights. He sighed, before tossing his bag on the counter. He took out his phone from his bag, checking the messages that he had throughout the day. He rolled his eyes, seeing many messages from the captain of the varsity volleyball team.

Every morning, noon, and sometimes at night, Sehan, having most of the volleyball team’s cell numbers, mostly because they are friends, and some for volleyball reasons, would always receive messages from Jongsoo the most. Good morning messages, ‘wanna eat lunch’ messages, ‘ready for volleyball’ messages, and sometimes ‘good night and sweet dreams’ messages. Sehan took the time to delete them since the day was already over. He tossed his phone on the couch, before making his way over to the kitchen. He let out a sigh once more; it was another night alone. He made a simple dinner, and went straight into studying. As he ate, he flipped through his textbook of his science class, taking notes as he read along. He heard a text tone go off, and Sehan got up from the dinner table and went to the couch to grab his cell phone. ‘Hm? Jongsoo…’ He rolled his eyes, before opening the messages.

“Sehan! I hope you are doing well with your friends. Eat well and sleep well! Have a good night. ~Jongsoo (´ ▽`).。o♡”

‘Friends? Oh, right...I lied to him...’ He scratched his cheek, thinking if he should reply to his message or not. “Just a quick one.” He quickly texted the other back before tossing it back to the couch. His cheeks started to warm a bit.  “Why does he always talk to me...irritating sometimes…”

“Yosh, that's Jongsoo’s birthday!!”

‘His birthday is on the 13th.’ Sehan stood still, letting his thoughts drift off. ‘His birthday...’

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

It was Saturday and the volleyball team took it upon themselves to practice for their upcoming game against Seuta. They headed to the community facilities early, as always, and were immediately greeted by the owner, Byongjoon. “Morning boys,” he waved to each of them, “the gym is all yours until noon.”

“Thanks,” Jongsoo nodded his head towards him, “let's head in there. Five laps around!”

“Yes sir!” His teammates said, as they started to rush in. Jongsoo turned his head towards the entrance of the facilities, biting the inside of his cheek. Byongjoon tilted his head to the side, before letting his eyes follow what the other was looking at.

“Are you waiting for someone? Another teammate?”

“H-huh? Oh, um, our team manager is late...which is weird. He is never la --”

The door dinged and in came running was Sehan. “I-I’m sorry that I’m late!” Sehan ran up to Jongsoo, stepping onto his untied shoelaces. He started to fall forward, yet he didn’t hit the ground. Jongsoo caught him, but the process in doing so caused him to fall on the ground as well.

“Whoa, are you two okay?!” Byongjoon stood up from his stool that he was sitting on, to look over the counter.

“Ow…” Sehan started to rub his eyes, slowly opening them. “Jongsoo! Oh my god, I’m s-sorry,” Sehan tried to get up, but his footing was lost, and ended up landing on his bottom this time, “a-are you okay?!”

The said person, blinked, before letting out a chuckle. “Well, actually, I’m suppose to be asking you that. You tripped, remember?”

“I know, but I ran into you. Did you land improperly? H-How are your wrists? Your legs? Your --”

“Nope,” Jongsoo rolled his wrists, and no pain emitted from them, “I’m fine.”

The team manager placed his hand over his heart, thankful that the other didn’t get hurt. “That's good.”

Jongsoo stood up, and dusted off his track pants. He extended out his hand for Sehan to take. “Let's hurry to the gym. We have until noon to practice.”

“O-Oh, okay.” It took awhile for Sehan to even reach Jongsoo’s hand. Their eyes locked, with Jongsoo smiling brightly at him. He lowered his head, and took the other’s hand. He was pulled up, and patted on the back.

“You sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine.” Sehan started to walk passed the other quickly. Jongsoo was so sure that Sehan was red as a pump strawberry. He smiled like an idiot, thinking that the other was adorable. He started to follow, skipping as he went forward. It left Byongjoon confused, yet he chuckled as he shook his head.

“Kids these days are so adorable.”

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

Sehan watched and took notes as the volleyball team finished up their stretches. They started off with basic passing, and serving before they started with the more intermediate and advanced drills. ‘Two and a half hours in...’ Sehan said as he checked his watch. He grabbed the whistle that was tied around his neck, and blew on it. The piercing sound echoed in the gym, scaring some of the players. “Rest time.” Sehan said as he wrote down some notes.

“You heard, Sehan, break time, guys!” Jongsoo grabbed the bottom of his shirt, and brought it up to wipe his forehead. Once he finished, his eyes locked in with Sehan’s, causing the team manager to blush. He quickly turned around, and started to follow the team’s first years. “Eh?” Jongsoo started to pout.

Baekyeol started to walk by, but stopped in his tracks when he reached Jongsoo, “why are you like that?” He asked, placing his hands on his hips.

“Did you see that?”

“Uh...no? Why, what happened?”

“Sehan totally blushed when he looked at me!”

“Um, I don’t know how to respond to that…” Jongsoo huffed, and decided to follow Sehan, leaving Baekyeol confused. “Well, then...rude.”

Jongsoo headed out of the gymnasium, looking left and right. He spotted the other with the three first years, chatting along as they sitting down on the bench. He was just about to call them out, when one of the first years started to complain about how their training on Saturdays were ridiculous. That's when Jongsoo hid behind one of the vending machines.

“And, Jongsoo is such a dictator sometimes, I hate it! Plus, why are we even here? We aren’t even part of the starters...we are just gonna sit on the bench, again.”

Sehan winced at the harsh words that the other was saying. Sure, Jongsoo was pushing them hard since he is the team’s captain, but it is because he wants to bring out everyone’s 100% on the court. “He may be tough, Inshik, but those drills will help in games you know…”

The first year, Inshik, huffed and started to drink his water. Sehan decided to continue. “It’s gonna help one day in a match. Besides, there is nothing wrong in pushing yourself more,” Sehan said, “he wouldn’t have done that if he didn’t believe in you, right?” He gave a soft smile. “And you have to remember...you guys are just first years. You have two more years to go. Jongsoo, and others, have one more year, so it would be a bit obvious that they are the starters...hm, I dunno if Jongsoo already said anything, but he has high hopes you guys.”

“High hopes?” Youngmin, a 1st year middle blocker asked timidly, as he wasn’t sure that the other meant. “We are just 1st years though…”

“He is preparing you guys. Plus, this will be the first time for you guys to be watching Seuta High...and lemme just say, we had our share of losses against them.”

“R-Really?” Taesoo asked, the first year winged spiker.

Sehan leaned back against the window pane. “During my time in Yoogun Prep, as the manager, I watched them play against Seuta. There were times where they would play for long hours,” the first years’ eyes widen, while Jongsoo nodded his head. After all he was part of the starting line up at that time. “Long hours played, and sometimes those long hours we end up losing, and sometimes we win...50/50 all the time. Jongsoo is trying to prepare you guys when the time comes.”

Inshik, Youngmin, and Taesoo lowered their heads, realizing that their captain is just preparing them when it is their time against Seuta, and other strong volleyball teams in the future. Sehan chuckled, and ruffled each other their heads, much to Jongsoo’s displeasure. “Keep working hard, okay? Not only Jongsoo and Woong are watching you guys, but I’m watching as well. I’m the coach’s little bird,” he laughed, “I do have to report to him about your guys’ play status. And I have to say, you three are improving a lot. You are all moving faster, hitting harder, reacting quickly, and most importantly, working together as a team. Jongsoo, I’m sure saw it, and I know he is happy.”

“Well, volleyball is a team sport.” Taesoo said, scratching his cheek.

“Sometimes people play because they have to, but only a few trust and play together as teammates.” Sehan checked his watch, seeing that it was a good enough break time. “Why don’t you all head back now? It’s time.”

Inshik, Youngmin, and Taesoo nodded their head, and started to head back. Sehan smiled, and started to head back as well. Just as he was passing by the vending machines, he jumped a bit when he saw Jongsoo hiding behind it. “God,” he placed his hand over his heart, feeling it beat rapidly, “Jongsoo, what the he --”

“Thank you.”

“ -- huh? What?”

Jongsoo smiled. He was happy that Sehan defended him when the freshmen were angry with him for treating them so hard. He thought that he was doing a good job in preparing them, but he forgot to realize their feelings. “Thank for helping me back there...when the three were…well, you know.” He started to rub the back of his neck.

“It was nothing.”

“Who would have thought that I would be hated.”

“They don’t hate you...they hate the drills that you make them do.” Sehan corrected.

“But still, thanks.”

Sehan nodded his head. He was telling the truth anyway. “Okay, done? Let's head back --”

“Sehan you know that I like you, right?”

“ -- to the gym…” Sehan trailed off. He knew. He knew that Jongsoo liked him. Everyone on the volleyball team knew that the captain had feelings for the team's manager. People would say that you must be blind as a bat for not seeing these signs. Sehan’s heart started to beat out of its cage once again. He shook his head, and started to back up from Jongsoo. “I’m sorry, Jongsoo, I just c-can’t --”

His heart has been shot. “I-I do really like you. I really do...just...j-just one chance. One chance to --”

“No,” Sehan shook his head, “no.” Jongsoo opened his mouth, but instead of words coming out, it was nothing. He was a bit shocked. A shutdown with no reason why. “I’m sorry, Jongsoo, I just can’t.” Sehan turned his heel about to walk. Just as expected, Jongsoo grabbed his wrist. “I just can’t, I just can’t! Okay?! P-Please let go!”

‘But...’ Jongsoo bit his lip, and slowly released his grip. “Okay...I-I’m sorry.”

Sehan quickly retracted his hand, holding it against his chest. His heart was still beating rapidly. “I’m just sorry, Jongsoo…” He started to back away from the other, “i-it may be best if I leave now…”

“What? Why?”

“You’re gonna be thinking about it, and it’s going to affect your performance.”

“It’s just a practice match!”

“But still! You’re gonna be thinking about it! With the match coming up with Seuta, the team needs you to be focused.” With that, Sehan started to run back to the gym. Jongsoo let his arms collapse on his sides, unsure what to do now. It wasn’t what he expected the other to say. In fact, the thought that it would be the opposite.

Before he knew it, he heard running footsteps in the hallway. He looked up from the titles of the floors, seeing Sehan clutching his bag tightly against his chest. As Sehan was about to pass him, Jongsoo quickly grabbed his arm, almost whipping him towards the wall beside them. Sehan’s back hit against the wall, causing Jongsoo to mentally apologize towards the other. He didn’t mean to push him against the wall that hard.

“Sehan, just why?!”

“I’m telling you now, I’m sorry!”

“But I don’t know why -- am I not fitting for you?!”

“What?! N-No --”

“Is it because I’m a year younger than you?!”

Sehan shook his head. “Then what?! Is it because we are both guys? Is it because I’m not smart enough for you? Is it because I’m immature? Not good looking for your taste? Not famous like your parents?!”

“No!”

“Then why?! You can’t just shut me down like that, without telling me why! It’s not fair! Saying ‘I’m sorry, Jongsoo’ -- like what is that?! Are you with someone? If you are, then just tell me!”

“I’m not --”

“Then why?!”

Sehan didn’t speak nor bat an eyelash. He gently pushed Jongsoo away from him. “If you care for me, then just leave me alone, okay…” He started to slip away from the other. Instead of stopping him, Jongsoo let him run.

Jongsoo let out a shaky exhale, and started to walk back to the gymnasium. As he opened the door, his teammates turned towards him, asking if he saw Sehan.

“I-I did…”

“Well, what happened?” Baekyeol asked, “he looked like he was about to cry!”

“H-He...um, he left already so...let's just leave him alone. I think he isn’t feeling well.” Inshik, Youngmin, and Taesoo looked at each other with worried faces, considering they were the last people that spoke with Sehan. Yitao was about to speak, when Jongsoo ordered everyone to get back to practice. Everyone decided not to push the issue further, and started to resume.

Yitao jogged over to Baekyeol. “What was that about…”

“Who knows,” Baekyeol sighed, “should we visit Sehan? After practice?”

“I wanna say yes, but…” he rubbed the back of his neck, before letting his hand fall on his side, “he just might get more upset…whatever the issue may be...I just don't want to upset him.”

The setter nodded, tightening his lip. “Alright…”

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

“Good work everyone…” Jongsoo gave a weak smile at his teammates. “Eat well when you guys get home…” With that, everyone started to say their goodbyes, and disperse. Jongsoo turned his heel, ready to leave, when Woong reached out for him. “Oh, Woong…”

“Jongsoo, what is going on with you? You weren’t yourself during those last few hours…”

“I just had a lot on my mind...I’m okay now.”

“You sure?”

“Absolutely!” He gave his brightest smile, “well, I’m gonna head out, so see ya later!” With that, Jongsoo quickly turned his heel, and started to run down the pathway. Woong scratched the back of his head, letting out a sigh.

‘If you say so...’ Woong turned around, and started to walk.

Jongsoo was sure that he passed his stop, and started to continue down the sidewalk, eventually going downhill to the many apartment complexes near the area. He started to slow down, trying to regain his breathing. He dropped his bags, and started to place his hands behind his head, breathing heavily.

 “If you care for me, then just leave me alone, okay…”

Jongsoo frowned, letting his arms drop to his side. ‘Just why…,’ he bit his lip as he looked around, ‘I don't think I can let it go like that...’ He fished out his cellphone from his pocket, and started to text Baekyeol. Once he pressed ‘sent’, he locked his cellphone. He looked around the area, seeing a small convenience store on the corner.

“Okay…” Jongsoo grabbed his bag, and started to head over to the convenience store.

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

Once Sehan got home, he quickly threw this bag on the floor. He laid his back against his door and slid down, his hands against his face. He didn’t move since he got home.

Sehan started to replay memories from what happened with Jongsoo, and he had to admit, he felt deeply horrible. The sight of Jongsoo’s saddened face in his mind, he placed his hand against his heart. It hurt.

‘But I don’t want that to happen...’ Sehan eventually stood up, and pushed himself off from the door. ‘Why did it have to happen to me...of all people...why...’ He started to rub his eye with his left hand. Eventually, tears started to fall from his eyes.

Hours passed, and Sehun did nothing, but lay on the couch. A knock was made, causing Sehan to jump in place. His heart started to race, feeling it bumped against his cage. He slowly got up, and starting to head towards the door. He looked at his video door phone, only to be shocked that it was Jongsoo standing outside his apartment. His eyes widen, confused as to why he was here. More importantly, how did he know where he lived.

‘I just won’t say anything...h-he might go away --’

“Sehan, I know you are inside. Please open the door…” Jongsoo called out, feeling nervous himself. Sehan bit his lip. He slowly reached up towards the door knob, wondering if he should actually open his door or not. He was scared. Scared in knowing what Jongsoo was going to say to him. “Sehan, please open up…” As he slowly exhaled, and started to unlock the door. Sehan closed his eyes in the process as he turned the door knob slowly, opening it.

Jongsoo felt relieved that the other opened the door for him. Step one, complete. “Thank you...may I?”

“Why are you even here...remember what I said?” Sehan mumbled, his eyes still closed.

“I know, but...I’m just sorry Sehan, I can’t let that go…”

It confused Sehan a bit, but figured that Jongsoo would actually be confused as to what he said. Who wouldn’t. With a sigh, he moved towards the side, letting the other in. As Jongsoo stepped inside, Sehan closed the door, opening his eyes a bit. “You’re here, so… -- what is that?” He asked, pointing at the small plastic bag that Jongsoo had in his hand.

Jongsoo placed his bag on the floor, and extending his hand out with the plastic bag. “I-I got you some sweets…”

With a raise of his brow, Sehan took the plastic bag, looking inside to, in fact, see various sweets inside. Plastic containers of various chocolates, cakes, pastries, and even tarts. Sehan mentally his lips. He loved sweets of any kind, but he much preferred the Japanese sweet roll, anpan. ‘But why…,’ “why did you get this for me?” He asked softly, still a bit confused. Just minutes ago, they were having a fight and now Jongsoo was in his apartment with sweets. That is when his eyes widen a bit. “Wait, scratch that! How did you know I lived here?!”

The captain scratched his cheek. “I-I texted Yeol...and he said you lived at this address. Thank god that he wasn’t pulling my leg…”

“Baekyeol?”

“Yeah...Baekyeol...Yeol...Baekyeol…”

Sehan was silent for a bit, before he mentally cursed at the other. Sure he and Baekyeol were good friends, but being a friend he thought that Baekyeol wouldn’t let anyone know about his whereabouts. Jongsoo cleared his throat, catching his attention. “Um, Sehan...okay, I know that you’re not happy with me being here --”

“That is an understatement…”

“Okay, furious...but I just can’t let that go. It’s unfair, Sehan...unfair...just why?”

It was silent.

Too silent.

Sehan placed the plastic bag on a small table beside him. “I could tell you, but you just wouldn’t understand...you won’t understand in my point of view…”

Jongsoo furrowed his brow. “Well, you know what I’m gonna ask regardless, so…”

“Just leave, Jongsoo, god, why can’t you respect that?”

“Because it isn’t fair t-to me...I like you a lot, but...but your reply...it is so in the grey area! If you have someone you like, or someone that you are in a relationship with, then just tell me! I’m not gonna be mad...o-or anything like that. It’s simple, but not telling me --”

“Because I don’t want to end up like my parents!”

“-- why you are...wait...what? You’re parents?”

Sehan bit his lip, before he spoke. “I don’t want to end up like my parents…”

“Wha -- I’m so confused. You don’t want to end up famous like your parents?”

“No...not that…,” he started to wipe his eyes, “my parents were high school sweethearts...and you must know that my parents are separated...after four years in a relationship, and twenty years of marriage...how can that be! Together for so long, then all of a sudden they separate like that. They woke up one morning, and decided that they didn’t love each other anymore?” By then, tears started to fall from his eyes, “I don’t want that to happen to me at all! I don’t want to break up like that! So, I want to avoid being a relationship all together!”

“S-So...you...you’re scared...being in a relationship and might end up like that?” Jongsoo now understood why the other was being how he was before. ‘So thats why...’ “Sehan you know that isn’t going to happen…”

“Wha --”

“It’s not going to happen to you.”

“Just how do you know that?!”

“Exactly...hm, listen Sehan...you know all marriages aren’t like that. Some work, and there are some marriages that don’t...maybe your parents were...well, maybe they reached to that point --”

“But they aren’t supposed to reach that point! They are supposed to live happily ever after!”

“Just like the fairy tales?” Jongsoo asked softly, “Marriages work and sometimes marriages don’t work, Sehan...just because you’re parents didn’t work, it doesn’t mean it is going to happen to you. You’re different from your parents...I-I mean, it might happen, but I don’t know. I can’t read the future, Sehan, so, if it does then it happens, but you can’t just avoid being in a relationship because of that small fear. Heck, you’re not even at that point yet in your life! Marriage is much down the line!”

Sehan wiped his eyes clean. “I knew you wouldn’t understand…” ‘If I start one, and somewhere down the line you end up getting tired of me...I don’t think I can handle a breakup...’

“Sehan, I’m not -- I don’t think you are listening to what I’m saying! I understand that you are scared that you might end up like your parents, but you have to remember that you’re not at that --”

By then, Sehan opened the door, “can you just leave please…”

“Sehan --”

“Please?”

Jongsoo tried his best to counter, but instead, he let his arms fall to his sides. Tightening his lips, he grabbed his bag from the floor, and started to head out. But before he did, he mumbled, “you are going to end up alone if you are like that…” With that, he grabbed the door handle of Sehan’s door, and closed it hard, letting it slam.

Sehan stood right where he was, trembling. He wiped his eyes with his left hand, yet it didn’t stop the tears from falling.

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

Jongsoo gripped his bag tightly, to the point where his knuckles started to turn white. He continued to brisk walk to his bus stop, head clouded with irritation. Jongsoo just couldn’t understand Sehan’s fear that well. ‘He is thinking way into the future about that...why doesn’t he take it step by step...’ He shook his head.

Just as he arrived, he cursed in a hushed tone to himself. ‘! After I said that, Sehan will surely hate me!’ “Hate me!! Oh my god, what the hell did I just do!!” He dropped his bag, ruffling his hair with his hands until the strands were standing up. “I didn’t mean it like that Sehan…”

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

It was the day of the last battle; the one that determines which school will head off to the tournament to compete with other schools. Yoogun Prep versus Seuta High.

Sadly, it happens to be in the home court of Seuta High. The students from the said high school ended their lessons early just so they could watch the game happen. With none of the students from Yoogun Prep here to support, all they had was each other.

Jongsoo rubbed his temples, feeling nervous. Not just because the game being the one that will advance them to the final line up, but his mind was more preoccupied with what happened with Sehan. He started to feel bad at what he said, and it wasn’t what he intended to say towards him.

He glanced over at Sehan, who was standing right next to the coach with a glassy expression. His head lowered, and not much excitement was radiating off from him.

“Lets go, captain!” Baekyeol called out, as he started to his jacket, getting ready to warm up, revealing their uniforms, black with gold ts.

“R-Right, let's go everyone!” He said, ushering everyone to get on the court, “let's warm up before they here.”

Everyone nodded their heads, and started to get on the court. They warmed up with passing, spikes, and even serving. It was just in time when Seuta’s volleyball team entered the gym, now in their white and light green volleyball uniforms.

“Welcome Yoogun Prep,” the captain of Seuta’s volleyball said with a happy tone in his voice, “to Seuta High.”

Jongsoo narrowed his eyes. “Thanks.” He said rather too coldly, making Seuta’s captain smile rather smugly. “We just finished, the court is yours.”

“Thanks...you heard him, on the court!” He ordered, which his teammates responded with a ‘yes sir’.

As Yoogun Prep stepped off, it gave them an opportunity to study each member. Their strength, their weaknesses, and even their average skills. However, Yoogun Prep were in for a long battle with Seuta. Their skills have increased tenfold from before. They were receiving more accurately, passing, serving, and spiking better and more quickly than before, that Yoogun Prep started to become nervous. Even Sehan himself.

“They are better than before,” Yitao whispered towards Baekyeol, who nodded his head, “how did that even happen…”

“They must’ve practiced even harder....”

Jongsoo looked over his shoulder, seeing his teammates worried. “Don’t get worry about what you see on the court,” he turned around to face each of them, “we are better. We practiced for this...we serve better, we receive better, we pass and spike ten times better than they do. If they get a point, we will take it right back! We will take that spot to enter the VBL tournament in Seoul...for the championship. We will show that Yoogun Prep is the best varsity boys volleyball team!”

He glanced at each of his teammates, who nodded their heads, feeling the adrenaline pumping up inside of them.

“Let's do this!”

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

Sehan lowered his head as the spike was hit, deep in the corner of the court. It was in. Another point for Seuta. Cheers of the home court echoed in the gymnasium, while it started to break some spirits of Yoogun Prep. It was the final set, a tie breaker.

Chiwon brushed his hair back out of frustration, he tried his best not to let it show, but his boys were making mistakes that they could easily get or get themselves out of. Sehan bit his lips, looking at the current players on the court of both teams. He tried his best to figure out a way to change it back to their favor. He glanced over at his team, seeing how tired they were, and newly formed bruises were on their arms.

‘Jongsoo...’ Sehan could see his eyes clouded with anger. He was being frustrated considering Seuta were targeting him. For the past couple of rallies, they aimed it right at Jongsoo, which caused it to bounce from his arms far out of the court, making it difficult to let his teammates retrieve it. From time to time, Jongsoo would show his frustration on the court without him even knowing. ‘He can’t clear his mind...’ With one more point, Yoogun Prep would lose.

“C-Coach time out.”

“Huh?”

“T-Timeout!”

Chiwon stood up, and called a timeout towards the official. The whistle blew. “Time out for Yoogun Prep.” The official said, gesturing her hand towards Yoogun Prep. Sehan stood up from the bench, meeting up with the others. Chiwon turned his attention towards Sehan, wondering why he asked for a timeout. The team manager cleared his throat, ready to speak, when Jongsoo started to immediately apologize for his lack of receives.

“C-Captain, it’s not your fault...they are targeting you.” Namil said, trying to comfort him, yet Jongsoo shook off Namil’s hand off his shoulder.

“No it’s not. With one more point, they will advance! They are aiming right at me, and something about that service is difficult for me to properly receive it!”

“You’re frustrated, we get it,” Baekyeol slapped Jongsoo on the back, “but clear that damn head of yours because if you are still clouded with that anger, it is gonna cost us for sure!”

“A bit harsh,” Kwanghyok whispered, “clear your head captain...we can still turn this around. We just have to focus more...we can still do it!”

Jongsoo glanced at his teammates’ arms, red from the ball landing hard, and the discoloration happening due to them landing on the floor hard to reach for the volleyball to pop it back up in the air. With him not saying a word, he instead brushed his hair back, letting it stand in place. He was still frustrated.

Chiwon decided to step in, thinking of a new plan to turn the points around. Everyone started to pay attention, nodding their heads, while Jongsoo ended up separating himself mentally from the group. Sehan watched as Jongsoo started to break down when really it wasn’t the right time to do so.

He loves playing volleyball a lot. He loves it more than anything...it will kill him if him and the others don’t make it...Jongsoo don’t let this break you down...plus, it is your birthday...I don’t want to see you down!’ “Hnn..."

In the midst of his plans, Sehan stepped forward in front of the coach towards Jongsoo. In front of everyone, he extended his hand out letting it rest against the back of Jongsoo’s head, pulling him close towards him, while his right hand rested on Jongsoo’s chest. Despite Sehan being nervous, he ignored it, and pulled the other to a kiss.

‘Please let this work!’

He pulled back quickly, puffing his cheeks. Jongsoo’s cheeks flushed, and eyes wide like an owl. Everyone, including the coach, their jaws dropped. Sehan cleared his throat. “You listen here Kim Jongsoo, pull,” he slapped him on shoulder, “yourself,” slap, “together!” another. “Your team needs you more than ever, and you are being frustrated about this! They need one more, but we can turn it around! Freakin’ concentrate Jongsoo so you and everyone can win that championship!” He tried to regain his breathing, before pinching Jongsoo’s ear, bringing it down to his height. He started to whisper, “if we win...we...you and I...um, w-we,” he started to blush, “okay, you were right. I will end up alone if I don’t give dating a try at all...but just the thought of breaking up with you...I don’t like it at all, and being alone also scares me…” he rested his head against Jongsoo’s shoulder, “so, I’m giving you a shot here...Yoogun Prep wins, and we can date.” He mumbled, his cheeks now red and overheating. It was a risky move for Sehan to even say what he just said, but it might be a good motivator to help Jongsoo out.

The rest of the team was unsure how to react to what had just happened, but before Chiwon could speak, the official already whistled, indicating that the timeout was already over. Sehan pulled back, patting Jongsoo on the shoulder, “go get ‘em.” With that, Sehan quickly sat back down on the bench. Being too embarrassed, he placed his hands on his face.

The rest headed back on the court, with Jongsoo staggering his way over. Yitao made his way over towards him, patting his back. He leaned over, trying his best not to laugh at Jongsoo’s expression.

Dazed, yet determined.

“Yo, captain, you ready?”

“I’m mother fu--”

“Yah,” Yitao covered Jongsoo’s mouth, “no cursing. You are gonna be kissing Sehan with that mouth of yours, and Sehan is such a sweetheart. He doesn’t need any of that.”

“Hm!” Jongsoo nodded.

“Great,” he brought his hand down, and started to wipe his hand on his jersey, “lets win this!”

As they got into their positions, it was Seuta High’s serve. The slam of the ball echoed, aiming right at Jongsoo. With determination setting in, he just had to get this. He just had to.

And he did.

The ball went up, and team Yoogun Prep went into formation. With the ball still in the back, Yunru placed the ball close to the front, enough for Yitao spike it over.

The spike was a success, and it have Yoogun Prep a point, returning the point system back to deuce.

Jongsoo smiled. “Let’s bring this back!”

Yitao spun the ball in his hand, bouncing it on the court. “You got this Yitao!” His teammates said, which gave him enough encouragement to do well in his serve. He tossed the ball forward and high; he ran forward and jumped. He slammed the ball hard, down the middle of the opposite court, surprising Seuta High very much. It was an ace. Yitao’s serves were mere floating serves and they knew how to come about them, but a direct serve was something that they weren’t prepared for.

“One more!!” Yoogun Prep said in unison. Yitao nodded his head, exhaling out shakingly. He did the same serve, but it was received.

They rallied it out; back and forth, back and forth. It seemed never-ending. Sehan felt his heart beating rapidly, his palms sweating profusely despite that it wasn’t him in the court. It was completely nerve wracking.

Seuta spiked the ball deep in the back, which Namil was able to retrieve successfully, however, the ball ended up going back, instead of forward. ‘!!’ Namil’s eyes widen, seeing the ball heading behind him. Yitao, being in the back due to the rotation, was able to reach out for it; he dove for it, hitting back with much strength that he had.

The ball was high enough, but it was halfway from the net.

“I got it!” Jongsoo said, running back to get the ball. He leaped up, turning around in the process.

Sehan stood up from the bench. ‘Spiking from back there?!’

Just as he intended to do, Jongsoo spiked the ball from where he was. His intention was for it to go over the net, but instead it hit the top of the net. The ball started to teeter, until it fell. The players tried their best, even diving to get the ball, to pop it up, but they have failed.

Yoogun Prep won.

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

After a long match battle between Seuta, the captain of both teams shook hands. “Congrats.” Seuta’s captain smiled, “next year for sure...we will defeat you.”

“I will love to see you try, Yeongcheol.” Jongsoo chuckled. Yeongcheol patted the other on the back.

“Good luck in the championships. Hm, honestly...I’m actually surprised…”

“Hm?”

“You were frustrated, then after that timeout, you had this different air about you. Like it went away.”

“Lets just say, I had motivation.” He glanced over at Sehan, who was tending to the Baekyeol and Yitao. He smiled brightly. Yeongcheol followed his direction, now fully understanding who that little motivator was.

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

“Lets celebrate, captain’s birthday!!” Yitao said, jumping up in the air.

“How is it that you have energy?” Namil yawned, rubbing his eyes with his left hand.

Chiwon nodded his head. “Yeah, we should. A win and a birthday celebration,” the coach looked around, seeing a nice and small restaurant that was still open. “how about it?”

“Coach, you don’t have to.” Jongsoo ran up beside him, “it’s fine, really.”

“Nonsense, my treat.” Chiwon patted Jongsoo on the back.

“Woo!” Yitao jumped even more, heading down to the restaurant, with the rest of the teammates following his lead.

“Yah,” Baekyeol rubbed his forehead, “such a child.”

Sehan chuckled, nodding along. “He is. I’m surprised that he has enough energy left in him.”

“Me too, but hey,” Baekyeol started to lean close to Sehan, “let's talk about that kiss that you did.” He wrapped his arm around Sehan’s shoulder.

“E-Erm, how about not…”

“What? I just wanted to say good thinking. It worked, and it got us the win.” He placed a thumbs up, “if you keep doing that, he just might win the whole thing!”

“I-I think that the kiss was only a one time...thing…for volleyball that is...”

Baekyeol pouted, but started to wave it off. “Sure,” he said with a smirk, “I hear ya.” He picked up his pace, and entered the restaurant first. Sehan bit his lip, and entered the restaurant last.

“Sehan!” Jongsoo waved his hand like a child, while he patted the table he was at. It was a small table, just perfect for the two of them. Sehan adjusted his bag, and made his way over to Jongsoo. They were a bit away from their teammates, just as Jongsoo wanted. He wanted some personal time with Sehan.

The waitress made her way over the team, and started to take everyone’s orders. Double checking with everyone, she nodded her head at her notepad. “Okay...I’ll just send this to our cook, and I’ll get all of your guys’ beverages.” With that, she left.

While everyone were talking among themselves, Jongsoo was trying to figure out what to say. Up to this time, his mind has been preoccupied with the kiss. The kiss. His face started to heat up a bit. It was so out of the blue, and it wasn’t something that he was expecting in a time like that. ‘It was a good motivator though...but was that it?’

“U-Um…” Sehan fidgeted in his seat, “Jongsoo...I --”

“Oh...I see…” Jongsoo nodded, “it was just a motivator...right?”

“W-Well --”

Jongsoo lowered his head, “So, it really didn’t mean anything?” 'I knew it...it was for the win.'

Sehan shook his head. “I means something, Jongsoo, it does...y-you’re right about what you said...I’m just scared...I mean, my parents...from what I remembered, we were a loving family. My dad loved my mom so much and vice versa...and with...w-with the separation, it shocked me so much...that it started to scare me. The idea of being in a relationship and then...down the line you get tired of me, and then we break up...I don’t like it...”

“Hm, you are the type of person that falls hard in love...that and saving yourself for one person.”

“Y-You could say that…but you know I...I do like you a lot…” He started to say, almost whispering that Jongsoo really had to listen carefully. Sehan cupped his own cheeks, “you are so caring, handsome...and such a happy person, anyone would be lucky to have you, yet...you came to me…”

“You wanna know why?” Sehan couldn’t make any eye contact with the other. He was just too embarrassed. “Because I,” Jongsoo said, placing his hand on his own chest, more particularly where his heart was, “have fallen hard for you.” He sighed out, “it sounds...cliche in a way...people will say that all the time in the beginning, but I feel that you and I...are going to be more than just a year or two relationship.” He started to chuckle. “You got me, Sehan. My heart is already set for you.” Sehan covered his face with his hands, feeling the heat radiating off from them. Jongsoo leaned over, gently grabbing the other’s hands off from his sweet face. He rubbed his thumb over Sehan’s hand. “Sehan, I love you so much...I hope you can feel the heart I’m putting into those words.”

Sehan looked up, seeing Jongsoo smile lovingly at him. “I’m sorry that I hurt you…”

“W-Will you go out with me?”

A soft chuckle escaped from the other’s lips. “I made a promise, and I would love to go out with you.”

Jongsoo lowered his head. “Oh my god, thank you!!”

“Wha?” Sehan started to burst out laughing, before placing his hand on Jongsoo’s cheek. “You’re so weird.”

Jongsoo looked up, puffing his cheeks out. Sehan turned over to face his bag that was on the floor. He bent down, trying to grab the item, while Jongsoo raised his eyebrow. He tried to see what it was, but decided to sit still and wait.

“Here,” Sehan sat up holding onto a plastic container. Inside was a small chocolate cupcake with frosting and sprinkles on top. He opened it, and took out the cupcake, handing it out to Jongsoo, “for you.”

“Cupcake? Oh! Wait, this is my favorite cupcake!” Jongsoo smiled, as he took it from Sehan’s hands, “chocolate with buttercream frosting right? Did you go to Sunny Hill? That awesome bakery near the school? I love that place! This is what I get all the time! I’m so glad that I found it last year!”

“I-I know...but I made it myself.”

“Oh really? That’s awesome! I didn't know that you could bake -- wait…” Confused for a bit, he glanced at the cupcake, then back to Sehan, “how did you know...that I love Sunny Hill and this type of cupcake?”

Sehan blushed. Since they were going out now, might as well let out a few secrets. “Not that I was following you or anything…” Sehan huffed, looking away from the other, “I just so happened to get...the same cupcake...a-and...and wanted to make it myself.”

Jongsoo eyed the other, before piecing it together. “Oh my god...hold up...you loved me first!”

“N-Not really --”

“Admit it, you had a crush on me first!”

“Hnn, Kim Jongsoo!”

“Admit it!” He sang, “admit it, admit it! You loved me first! I was a freshman at that time! I didn’t know who you were until I joined volleyball!”

“Okay! Fine, I had a crush on you first! Happy?!”

Jongsoo got up and leaned over, giving Sehan a kiss on the lips. “Oh yes, very happy! More than that, I’m in heaven right now.”

Sehan blushed. “I had a crush on you, until I saw how much of a weirdo you were.” He huffed out.

“You are stuck with me now!” Jongsoo bit onto the cupcake, “and babe, I’m a hoot to be with! Just ask Yitao and Baekyeol!”

“Babe...did you just call me ‘babe’? I’m starting to regret this now --”

“What is my nickname?”

“Asswipe.”

“I lov -- what?!”

Baekyeol started to chuckle at the two bickering, thinking it was the cutest thing in the world. ‘They just got together, and now this...’ He smiled as he watched the bickering quickly died down, turning into smiles and laughter. Baekyeol nodded, ‘they fit well...yeah, they fit well together.’

Both Sehan and Jongsoo looked over at their teammates, only to see Baekyeol watching them. He smiled. “Wuhu! Love birds in the house!!” Baekyeol screamed out, causing the rest of the team, even the coach himself, to look over at Sehan and Jongsoo. The boys cheered, clapping their hands, and even some saying ‘finally’.

--- (JONGSOO) --- (JSSH) --- (SEHAN) ---

The End.