The One Chance (BAP)

Descendants of Idols

※ This is, of course, a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual people - living or dead, places, true events, incidents etc. are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner, and are purely coincidental.

Pairing: Daehyun x Youngjae

※ One Shot - Mafia-esque AU (attempting) left off after Bang Yongguk and the others got caught by Yoo Youngjae and the SWAT. Moon Jongup is a bit crazy here.

※ BL / mafia theme / comedy / mention of male pregnancy

※ Story created in 2017 ~ 2019 ( :T had this idea for a long time)

※ Certain information have been altered to fit with the story. Please pardon the mistakes.

Author Coffeemilk corner: I finally was able to write and comPLETE THIS Q_Q I’ve always wanted to make a BAP child fic, but I never knew how to go about it...I started to write one before, but scrapped it after a couple of chapters. Then I remembered BAP’s One Shot, and thought of an underground, organized crime story that takes place after the ending of One Shot. That is when I thought, yes...this is it. I shall introduce BAP’s first child. lololololololol

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Excuse me, but you can’t loiter here.”

“O-Oh, uh...my company will be coming any minute now --”

“Sorry, but I can’t have you stand idling here in front of BIG THREE entertainment,” The security guard said, crossing his arms, “sorry son, but I can’t.” He gestured his hand for the other to move down the steps, but it wasn’t until Daeyoung's company came running out of the building.

“Ah, Mr. Han! He is with us!”

“Eh?” The security guard, Mr. Han, turned around to see trainees Kim Jongsoo and Wu Yitao coming towards him. “Oh...he is with you?” ‘So he wasn’t lying.’

“Yep,” Jongsoo nodded his head, “it is our bad, we told him that to wait for us outside of the door.”

“Is that right? Well...next time,” he turned toward the guest, “please don’t idle around the area. Next time, I won’t be this gracious.”

“Yes sir…”

“Good day to you guys.” Mr. Han left, returning back to his post. Both Jongsoo and Yitao turned towards their friend, giving toothy grins.

“You guys could have warned me…”

“Sorry Daeyoung.” Yitao clasped his hands together, “We forgot. It's that lots of crazy fans hang around the area and are harassing the idols. Mr. Han was being protective.”

“Get used to it,” Jongsoo wrapped his arm around the other, “soon we will be idols, and this is going to be the norm for you. But do not fret, we will still remember our childhood friend!”

“Gee, thanks.” Jung Daeyoung crossed his arms, but let out a soft chuckle. “Well, I do thank you guys for still remembering me. Me...the non-idol trainee. Even if it is not all six of you together...it would have been great to see everyone.”

“They do send their greetings.” Yitao assured him. “Sehan has school work, Baekyeol has vocal lessons, and both Joonxing and Xiuchen have dance practice. It would have been great.”

“Well, let's get this date started!” Jongsoo started to lead, and the two followed.

It has been a good five years since Jung Daeyoung last saw this childhood friends. When his mother, Yoo Youngjae, transferred back to the police station in Seoul, it gave him the opportunity to see his friends again. Yitao patted Daeyoung on the back, “It is great that we still kept in touch. How is your mom? It must be great to come back to the city."

“Mom is doin’ well. He is well adjusted since it was the previous precinct before we moved to Chuncheon.” Daeyoung replied as he adjusted his hat, “and it is great to be back in Seoul.”

“To be honest, I can’t believe your mom let a fourteen year old go out in the city by himself,” Jongsoo said, “you look so young! And people are weirdos nowadays, they love to eat up young looking boys like you.”

“I-I’m old enough!”

“Nah...we are seventeen,” he pointed himself and Yitao. We are adults man. You is a wee child.” He said, chuckling a bit.

“Ugh...how does Xiuchen even deal with you guys. Do you treat him the same? We are the same age! I’m even older!”

“Hm...you got a point there...but with idol training, Xiuchen has learned how to grow up.” Yitao said. “Besides Daeyoung knows better. He is smart enough to know which people are safe to be with.” He said to Jongsoo.

Daeyoung lowered his eyes, “er...well...mom dropped me off.”

“Wah?” Jongsoo and Yitao their heads, now facing the younger, “y-your mom dropped off here?!” Jongsoo was doing everything in his power not laugh, but Daeyoung ended up punching him in the side.

“Mom is protective of me, okay?!” He blushed, “sometimes it's just too much.”

“Well...being an undercover cop, your mom would be protective. I bet the bad guys would love to have your mom’s head on a platter -- ow!!” Yitao jabbed his hand in Jongsoo’s side.

“Jongsoo is stupid...he doesn’t mean that,” Yitao assured him, “you are his only son and all. Every parent is protective of their kid. Your mom is the overly protective type.”

“Hm...I’m used it anyway.” Daeyoung sighed, “well, where are we going?”

“There is a nice bar restaurant just a block from here.” Jongsoo pointed out. “By day it is a restaurant, but at night it switched to a night restaurant and they serve alcoholic beverages. They have they have the best burgers there.” Jongsoo said, pointed at the direction.

The three continued to walk down the city’s sidewalk, still chatting and catching up from their lost time together. As they reached their destination, they were quickly seated outside on the patio of the restaurant. “Thank you so much,” Yitao said, taking his cap off and placing it on the table.”

“It is no problem.” The waitress said. “I’m Soonok and I’ll be your waitress,” she said, passing out the menus, “I’ll be back shortly to take your orders.” She nodded her head and excused herself.

The trio each grabbed a menu and started to look at the meals. Not even ten seconds, Jongsoo closed his menu. “Wah?” Daeyoung raised his eyebrow, “you know what you want already?”

“Hm!” Jongsoo nodded, “this place is the best when it comes to burgers.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be on a diet? You know...training and all.”

“I’ll be fine. Besides, I dance a lot and Yitao and I go to the gym...so it works out a-okay.”

“Eh? If you say so…” Daeyoung glanced at the menu. He hummed, decided on if he should order a burger himself or the taco bowl.

“Get what you want,” Yitao said, closing his own menu, “Jongsoo will pay.”

“Excuse me?” Jongsoo narrowed his eyes at the other, before turning to Daeyoung, “nah, he is right though. I’ll pay, so don’t feel like you need to get something that cost less. I want you to eat,” he reached over, patting Daeyoung on the shoulder, “growing kids need to grow.”

He pointed at the menu’s calorie count, “they are so high!”

“So what...it's fine. Oh! This one is good.” He pointed at the steak burger, “and this one is also good. Yitao liked this one.”

“Which one?”

“The charbroiled black angus beef, guacamole bacon burger.”

“Oh yeah,” Yitao nodded, “that one is good. Huge, but they cook it just right.”

“Are you gentlemen ready?” Soonok asked as she placed three glassed waters on their table. Jongsoo and Yitao glanced over at Daeyoung, in which he nodded his head. Soonok took their orders and gathered the menus. “Thank you, and if you need anything else, please let me know.”

“Thank you,” Jongsoo nodded his head, “we will.”

Soonok smiled; she turned and headed back inside the restaurant to the front desk. As she put the menus back in the slots, she looked up when hearing her name. “Those three,” her manager said, glancing at the cheerful trio that were outside, “are you waiting on them?”

“Hm,” she nodded, “I am sir.” Her manager squinted his eyes at them, as if he recognized them in some way, but couldn’t quite figure it out. Soonok tilted her head to the side, clearing before she spoke. “Are they...okay to be in here?”

The manager glanced over, humming a bit. He nodded his head, “Yes. The boy over there looks familiar is all,” He let out a smile, “continue on the good work.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Man!!” Jongsoo leaned back in his seat, rubbing his stomach, “my stomach is going to burst, holy cow!”

Daeyoung agreed, drinking his water. “That was the best burger I ever had. Thanks Jongsoo for paying.”

“Ah, it was no problem. Good that you ate though. Makes me happy.” Jongsoo chuckled.

“We should get going,” Yitao said, getting up from his seat, “thankfully, we have vocal lessons tonight and not dance. Because for sure, I just don’t want to move.”

The three made their way back inside, heading to the front desk to pay for Jongsoo to pay for their meal. “So, how was everything?” Soonok asked as she grabbed the card from Jongsoo’s hand, “good?”

“Very good.” Daeyoung beamed, “best burger that I ever had.”

Soonok chuckled, “that is good to know. I guess we will be seeing you three again?” Before Daeyoung could respond, the manager came up behind Soonok, telling her that he will take care of them. “Oh...okay, gentlemen, the manager will take care of you guys. Please, have a wonderful afternoon.” With that, she excused herself.

“Afternoon gentlemen,” the manager said, smiling warmly at the three, “how is your afternoon going?”

“Doing well,” Jongsoo replied, patting his stomach, “pretty much full.”

A chuckle escaped from the other’s lips, “well, that is great to know. That means we are doing our business right,” he leaned over to the side, grabbing three, business card sized paper and presented them in front of the trio, “right now...we are holding a raffle.”

“Raffle?” Yitao raised his eyebrow, “for…?”

“Ah, it is brand new,” the manager said, pointing at the card in front of Jongsoo, “by filling out your name, number, email that we can reach you, you could be a potential winner in winning a free and private dinner meal for two.” He gestured at the clear box that was on the side, “as you can see, people have already placed their cards in. As it says, we will close the restaurant just for the two of you so it will be private. Anything on the menu will be free.”

“Oh ho-ho, sign me up!” Jongsoo grabbed the pen and started to write his name, number, and his email address, “because I heard the magic word! Free!”

“Ugh...Jongsoo would take advantage of this.” Yitao rolled his eyes, “sure, why not.” He turned to Daeyoung, asking if he is going to do it.

“Yeah...why not.” Daeyoung shrugged. “I could take my mom here to be honest.”

The manager nodded his head, handing him a pen. “Excellent.” Yitao and Daeyoung started to write their information down, dropping it in the clear box. “Good luck to you three.”

“Thank you!” They said in unison. As they left, the manager glanced at the clear box, humming to himself. He glanced around, seeing that none of the employees weren’t around. In a quick flash, the manager grabbed Daeyoung’s card, putting it in his pocket. ‘Jung Daeyoung...he looks so much like him,’ he thought, adjusting his tie a bit, ‘almost like looking in a mirror.’

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Ah, there is Mr. Yoo!” Jongsoo pointed out as he saw Daeyoung’s mom driving up to the curb of BIG THREE. Jongsoo and Yitao waved, while approaching the car with Daeyoung following the two. “Hi Mr. Yoo!”

Yoo Youngjae, a still active undercover, police officer working in Seoul Division Police Station, smiled brightly seeing Jongsoo and Yitao. “Hey you guys, ah, you two have not changed.” He chuckled. “Oh? Where are the others?”

“Sehan had school work to do and Baekyeol, Joonxing, and Xiuchen has vocal and dance training.” Yitao replied, “we practice later tonight though.”

 “Ah, is that so,” Youngjae said, “when Daeyoung told me that you six were trainees, I thought he was joking. But singing and dancing are your passions is it not?”

Jongsoo and Yitao nodded their heads. They all had a fueled passion to sing and dance, and they were just grateful enough that their parents would let them fulfill their dreams. Youngjae continued, “I hope that your parents being the once famous idol group doesn’t make you all lazy. I do hope that you all are working hard.”

“We are,” Jongsoo nodded, “hm, there were days where I wanted to quit, but I love it too much.” He let out a toothy grin.

“That is good to know. What did you guys do today?”

“They brought me to a nice restaurant,” Daeyoung said, “it was really good.”

“Well, that’s good,” Youngjae smiled.

“We will let you go,” Yitao said, opening the door for Daeyoung, “lets hangout next time with everyone.”

“For sure.” Daeyoung nodded.

“Thanks you guys are looking after Daeyoung,” Youngjae said, “be safe going back to your dorms. And eat well!”

“We will!” They said in unison. They waved goodbye, watching the car drive off. Jongsoo hummed. “Mr. Yoo still looks the same, huh?”

“Yeah he does.”

“I still can’t believe he was part of the case fourteen years ago. For him to be able to uncover one of Korea’s top deadliest mafia groups and send them to jail. Jesus…,” Jongsoo whistled, “he is certainly the best cop ever.”

Yitao agreed. “But...I heard that they received capital punishment.”

“Huh?” Jongsoo raised his eyebrow, “you’re kidding me...no way. There has been a halt on capital punishment since that one President took office back in 19XX! No way they went through with it.”

“Well...it was an unofficial moratorium. The key word here is unofficial. I heard that they recieved the death penalty for drug trafficking, obviously murder, stolen goods and more.”

Jongsoo crossed his arms, “but that is so...wow...I didn’t think that we still used capital punishment still…though, they did get what they deserved. I mean, why have people like them around? Especially them killing and torturing people. I rather have them gone than having them released after some years.”

“True.” Yitao nodded.

Jongsoo sighed, “I should start reading the news…”

“Yes, do that,” the other responded with a chuckle, “it is a good way to education yourself what is going on around the world. You should try it sometime.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Daeyoung, you have everything for school tomorrow?”

“Hm,” he nodded his head, putting things away, “ that just as we got in Seoul, I have school the next day.” He groaned as he zipped up his backpack. “Do you have work tomorrow?” he asked, collapsing on his bed.

“I sure do.” Youngjae said as he passed Daeyoung’s room.

“Do you...you know, have to be out --”

“Not that kind of work just yet. Just because I’m transferred back doesn’t mean my old position would be given back to me immediately. Which is fine.” He said, putting the empty boxes on top of one another. “So many to throw away...you will be fine getting to school? This isn’t like before where you were able to walk with your friends.” He said, leaning against Daeyoung’s door frame.

“It’s fine, I mean...I am fourteen --”

“Weirdos don’t have an age requirement on their targets. I just want you to be safe.” Youngjae sighed, walking over and placing his hand on top of Daeyoung’s head, “you are my only son. And I love you a lot...I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

Daeyoung knew that his mom meant well and he couldn’t oppose him. “I know, but I assure you, that I’ll be okay. It is mostly walking distance from the train station.”

“Okay...text me when you get there...and text me when you are coming home.”

“Alright.” Daeyoung sighed, “I’m gonna take a shower.” He stood up and walked passed the other. Youngjae bit the inside of his cheek, feeling a bit worried.

‘Back in Seoul, in all places…,’ he exited his son’s room, entering his own. Heading towards his bed, he looked over his folders that were spread over his bed. Inside where the case files of the now dead mafia group, Hellhounds, the ones that he put away fourteen years ago. He let out a shaky exhale. “Dead,” he whispered to himself, “well, that is what you get.” Youngjae shook his head, putting the folders on the side.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung reached out for his phone, texting his mother as promised that he has reached his school grounds. He let out a soft exhale before locking his phone. He placed it in his jacket pocket, and started to head inside. Despite it being the new year, he was starting as a junior in his new high school. ‘Not only that I’m new, everyone will know that I am smart.’ He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

He opened the door, and started to walk in the hallways, maneuvering his way through the sea of students. Just as he made his way to the junior students’ hallway, the students started to turn heads.

“Hey man,” one of the students said, “this is the junior hallway,” he pointed passed him, “if you go back and turn right, that will be the freshman hallway.”

“Hu?” Daeyoung raised his eyebrows at the two students who were loitering in front of what he thought was their classroom. Cool in appearance, with their dyed hair and many ear piercings, the student that spoke to Daeyoung was about to repeat himself.

“Uh,” another student looked passed his friend, glancing at Daeyoung, “Byungwook, he is wearing a blue striped tie,” he pointed, “look.”

“Eh?” Byungwook leaned down, taking a good look at Daeyoung’s tie, seeing that it was in fact a blue striped tie, “he is a junior?! But he is a short!”

Daeyoung narrowed his eyes, puffing his cheeks out. “I may be fourteen years old, but I am a junior.”

Byungwook and his friend exchanged glances, before looking back at Daeyoung, “a young one. He must be smart.” His friend said, “ah...that means you are a transfer student...am I right?”

“Un.” Daeyoung nodded.

“Ah, I’m Seo Hoon,” he extended his hand, “and this is Cho Byungwook. Hm, welcome to Dohyun High School.”

“Thanks...uh, Jung Daeyoung.” He said, now having an immediate guard up, “uh...yeah.”

“What class room are you in?” Hoon leaned down, wanting to take a good look at the other, “damn, you do look like a fourteen year old. So young and still have that baby fat...”

“Right,” he leaned back, “uh...room 1-A.”

“And in AP classes as well?” Hoon glanced over at Byungwook, “smart and pretty.” The two chuckled, yet Daeyoung didn’t think anything .

‘I wish Sehan and the others were here…’

“Over there,” Byungwook said, pointing at the class over, “Mr. Shim the Horrid is the homeroom teacher for that classroom. Good luck.”

“Hm.” Daeyoung nodded his head towards them and rushed towards his classroom. ‘Weirdos…’ He entered and glanced at the board where his seat was. He quickly took his seat, placing his bag right beside his feet.

“Hello!” Daeyoung turned, seeing that his seat neighbor, stylish and very beautiful in Daeyoung’s opinion, was smiling at him. “You must be new!” She said in a high pitched, girly voice.

“What gave that away?”

“Ha...didn’t see you during freshman year, so it was a guess,” the student extended their hand, “I’m Yun Bitna...hm, you look pretty young to be in this class...are you --”

“Yes, I am suppose to be here. I’m fourteen years old...skipped a couple of grades, passed the qualifications and all that. So, yes, I am suppose to be here,” he took her hand, “and I am Jung Daeyoung.”

“Wow,” Bitna chuckled, “impressive. And AP at that.”

“What can I say? I like studying.” Daeyoung said nonchalantly.

“Ha, ah...you are an interesting character Jung Daeyoung. Your parents must be smart.”

“Hm...I would say my mother is very smart.”

“What? Dad not so much?” She chuckled.

“Well...I don’t know him.”

Bitna’s chuckle quickly died down, and she widens her eyes a bit, realizing that she must have stepped on a landmine. “S-Sorry...that was intrusive -- I apologize.”

“It’s okay. I didn’t know him that well -- er, well at all...but he must be smart right? Two smart parents make one incredibly smart child.”

“R-Right. Look...I didn’t mean to be --”

“It’s alright,” Daeyoung assured, “I mean, you didn’t know, and we just met.” He let out a smile.

Bitna nodded, but still felt bad. “Ah, well, since you are new, why don’t I show you around the school?”

Daeyoung pondered a bit, but returned a smile. “That would be great, thank you.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Mr. Yoo!” A group of police officers immediately stood up, saluting the officer. After all Yoo Youngjae was famous, especially for the turning in the mafia, Hellhounds. Officers in Seoul, new or old, still praised him for his work in turning in Korea’s deadliest mafia groups.

“Ah, t-thanks guys,” Youngjae bowed, blushing a bit, “it is good to be back.”

“Youngjae,” upon hearing his name, he turned seeing one of his old comrades that helped in the mission of putting the Hellhounds in jail, Chae Jaebum, “nice to see you back in Seoul!”

“Ah, Jaebum! It is good to be back.” He smiled, “the place has not changed.”

“Hm,” he shook his head, “not one bit. How are you by the way? I mean, from what I heard from the higher ups, you were doing well in Chuncheon, but you were transferred back in Seoul...couldn’t you rejected the offer?”

Youngjae hummed a bit; he could have and should have, but instead he came back home. With a sigh, he shrugged, “I guess I love Seoul alot. Lots of memories here.”

Jaebum nodded, “hm, welcome back, Youngjae,” he patted the other on the shoulder, “the boss is in his office.” He pointed straight ahead.

“Thanks,” he nodded towards the other before heading to the office, ‘I wonder if Mr. Hwang still working here...well it has been fourteen years.’ Stopping right in front of the office, Youngjae took a deep breath before knocking.

“Come in.”

Youngjae took the door knob and opened it. As he entered, the chief looked up from his paperwork. He beamed, seeing Youngjae again. “Oh my god, Youngjae,” the chief stood up, making his way over to hug his old friend, “when I heard that you were coming back to Seoul, I was excited to have you back on our precinct.” He patted Youngjae on the back, “welcome back.”

“Thanks Mr. Hwang,” Youngjae said, “it is good to be back.”

“I’ll be honest,” he said, heading back to his seat, “I didn’t really think you would want to come back here...erm, considering that...well, the whole mission to uncover the Hellhounds was here -- right here in Seoul. Out of all the police officers, you were the only one that was fitted to be in this mission. And to be in this mission for so long, two to four years...I’m sure there was traumatic experiences and such. I mean, why come back to a city with those memories in the back of your mind?”

Youngjae took a seat in front of the chief’s desk, letting out a soft sigh. “It...um, I mean, it was a job.” He said, almost in a shaky tone, “they were...were criminals and criminals that should be put back right where they belong. Um, I heard that...th-that they recieved capital punishment.” Youngjae’s tone started to become a whisper and he started to tighten his hands in a ball.

“They did. They did recieve capital punishment...and this must have been the shortest death row time that I have ever heard in my years of working.” He shook his head, “Eight months and eighteen days. Just like that,” he snapped his fingers. Mr. Hwang let out a sigh, “it is just a shame...why would they want to pursue a life like that. They could have had a normal life...good paying jobs, be one with society...heck, they could even have had families.”

Youngjae tightened his lips; he nodded, “yeah,” he said in a hushed tone, “they could have.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Guys, this is Jung Daeyoung,” Bitna said, beaming at her friends with Daeyoung right beside her, “he is a transfer student and a smart kid! He is fourteen years old!”

“Eh? Fourteen?” Bitna’s friend tilted her head left and right, “no way...seriously?”

Daeyoung nodded, “Fourteen.”

“Sit, sit,” Bitna said, patting a seat right next to her, “this is Seok Eunyoung , Yang Sangcheol, Kim Youngtae, and Ryu Hyuna.” She said, gesturing to each of them. It was now lunch and Bitna told her friends to meet them outside in the commons area, wanting them to meet Daeyoung. Bitna’s friends were amazed at the younger academic ability that they started to ask him how he was able to skip so many grades to get where he is now. “Oh, stop it guys,” Bitna waved her hand in the air, “stop it...I’m sure Daeyoung has told this story many times. He is just smart, okay?”

“Yeah, but this guy is practically skipped so many grades,” Hyuna huffed, “man, I wish I was like you...studying just kills me. Last year I didn’t do so well! I just barely passed and my dad is nagging me to study more. Study more, less of those idol groups.”

“I bet your parents were the ones that forced you to study hard?” Sangcheol asked, biting onto his rice.

“Hm, not really...I just enjoy studying is all. I love learning and I learn pretty quick.” Daeyoung admitted, in which Hyuna’s jaw dropped. “My mom was actually worried at one point because I wasn’t playing outside at all...I was lacking exercise that he actually forced me to go and play.” He said, remembering the memories.

“Wow,” Eunyoung chuckled, “but hey, you are doing well in school. No doubt you will be accepted to one of the SKY universities.”

“O-Oh...I dunno about that,” Daeyoung rubbed the back of his head, “I’ll be content if I can get to a good university.”

“Same!” Youngtae sighed, “but knowing my parents...that is not good enough.”

The group continued with their lunch, asking Daeyoung if he was going to participate in any after school programs. “Hm,” Daeyoung pursed his lips, “maybe...I mean, I do enjoy soccer...I’ll probably try out. Though, me actually playing is a pretty low chance.”

“I’m in the soccer club,” Sangcheol said, “yeah, try out. It will be fun.” He said, beaming brightly.

“Sure...erm, thanks.” Daeyoung smiled, happy to know that his first day was going smoothly. ‘Despite this morning with those two weirdos, but other than that, very smooth.’

“Oh-ho! It’s the clever pretty boy!”

‘And speak of the devils...ugh…’

“What do you two want?” Bitna raised her eyebrows in suspicion at Seo Hoon and Cho Byungwook. “You know them?” She asked the younger, to which he replied that they were the first two that he ran into when entering the junior hallway.

“Yep! We met Daeyoung this morning!” Hoon said, wrapping his arm around Daeyoung’s shoulder.

“Yah, don’t wrap your arm around him so casually!” Bitna swapped the other’s hand off.

“What? I’m just being nice and welcoming.” Hoon defended himself, “so rude, Bitna…” He said, sitting right next to the younger with Byungwook right next to him.

“You two are bad influences!”

“What makes you think that I’m gonna do something to him?!”

While the two bicker, Daeyoung could suddenly feel a migraine coming along. He looked at Youngtae who was across from him. “Do they know each other?”

“Hm, they are cousins.”

“Eh?” Daeyoung blinked, “no way. They are so different.”

Youngtae chuckled, “yeah, well...they are. But Hoon and Byungwook are good people. Weirdos, but good people.”

“Yah! I heard that!” Hoon turned his attention to the other.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Hyongjun, come here.”

“Sir,” Hyongjun stood up from his seat, approaching at the man sitting at his desk, looking at the papers and photos that were sprawled on his desk, “Yes?” He glanced down, seeing what he was looking at.

The man in front of him picked up a photo, showing a picture of a young boy’s school ID photo. “Him, you’ve seen him?”

“I have not, but Hansol has. He was there at the restaurant when the boy was there. He was with two other boys. According to him, they looked like they were friends eating lunch. Nothing much. What would you like us to do, sir?”

The man in front of him pondered a bit, wondering what he should tell the other. Afterall, he was longing for this moment when the that person would return to Seoul. Hyongjun cleared his throat. “Sir, what would you want us to do with Yoo Youngjae and Jung Daeyoung? After all...your wait is over. Once we heard that they came back to Seoul, we immediately took action as you said, tracking him down. Now we are watching him like a hawk -- ”

“Then do just that.”

“Huh?” Hyongjun blinked, a bit surprised at the response. “W-Wait, j-just keep watching them?”

The man looked up at the other. “That is all I want you to order subordinates to do. I mean that is all I could do. Afterall...I am dead.”

Hyongjun bit the inside of his cheek, but nodded. “How does it feel...to know that the boy is your son, Daehyun?”

Jung Daehyun, one of the four underbosses of the mafia group, Hellhounds, that controls six of the twenty-five districts of Seoul. Despite being dead in the eyes of society, him and the rest of the Hellhounds are alive and well. It is all thanks to their powerful connections that they had, inside and out, and the people’s loyalty towards the mafia. Their deaths were planned carefully and convincingly. Now years have passed, the Hellhounds’ work underground with their captains and subordinates being able to work freely on the surface and at the same time carry out dealings. However, for Daehyun, being alive seems to be more of a suffering than a blessing.

Jung Daeyoung.

When he found out that the person that he first fell in love with bore a son, his son, he was ecstatic. He was happy. He was a father.

But.

What killed him the most is that he couldn’t be there. He couldn’t hold him. He couldn’t watch him take his first steps, or hear his first words. Daehyun couldn’t experience any of that.

“Jung Daeyoung doesn’t even know that I exist.” Daehyun let out a soft exhale. “Besides, I think it is better this way. Saying that your father is an underboss of the Hellhounds...is not good. Not good at all.” He lowered his head, resting against his the palm of his hands, “all I can do is just watch from afar. Hm, fourteen years,” he glanced at the photos on his desk, “he looks healthy and happy. That is all I want.”

Hyongjun nodded. “If you say so, Daehyun. We will watch him.” He sighed, feeling bad for his friend and boss that he couldn’t be close to Daeyoung as much as he wanted.

“Now that I think about it,” Daehyun started to say, “I don’t think I’ll even be a good parent...as much as I wanted to have a family. Youngjae is doing so well in raising him.”

“Well, hm, it must be great to know that they reside in the Seocho district. Your district. Must be luck huh?”

“I guess so. The gods must be laughing at me...for this is punishment for being in a business like this.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Daeyoung, how was school?” Youngjae asked from the kitchen when he heard his son enter their apartment, preparing a snack for the younger. “And thank you for texting me. See? Not so hard.”

“Uh-huh,” Daeyoung nodded. He made his way over to the kitchen, “it was good.” He said, taking a seat by the kitchen table, “I made some friends.”

“That’s good! What a great way to start the new school year. With you just being fourteen, I was worried that the students might not take a liking to you...I was worried.”

“Nah. I mean, the ones that I met where pretty nice to me.”

“What are their names?” Youngjae asked, placing a bowl of fruit.

“Well, there is Yun Bitna, she is in my class. Um, her friends that she introduced me, Seok Eunyoung, Yang Sangcheol, Kim Youngtae, and Ryu Hyuna. They are pretty cool...and uh, two more. Weirdos, but they are cool...I guess. Seo Hoon and Cho Byungwook.” He bit into his apple slice. “Um, I’m thinking of joining an after school program...soccer.”

“Soccer?”

“Yeah, plus, Sangcheol is on the team. At least I would know one person.”

“Ah, hm, sure...I mean, it will be fun.” Youngjae nodded, “I am so happy that you made friends so quickly!” He beamed.

Daeyoung smiled, “me too.”

“By the way,” Youngjae turned to the counter, grabbing a piece of paper, “a place called...a restaurant I think.”

“Hm?”

“HHs Bar Restaurant...do you know anything about --”

“Oh! Seriously?!” Daeyoung stood up, looking at the piece of paper that his mother wrote, “no way! When Jongsoo and Yitao took me over there for lunch, they were doing this raffle thing. A free meal for two! I put our home number instead of my cell...you know that I don’t answer if I don't know...but oh man, Jongsoo is going to kill me!” He laughed, “mom, let's go for dinner. They have the best burgers there.”

Youngjae chuckled, “sure.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Jung Daeyoung, right?”

The said person blinked, “y-yeah, wait, you’re the manager right?” Daeyoung glanced at the name tag, remembering the name.

The manager smiled, nodding his head. “Yes,” he turned his attention to Youngjae, “I’m Jeon Hansol, and I’m the manager of HH’s Bar Restaurant. And congratulations on winning. As the prize you get a free private meal for two.” Hansol took two menus, “your...parent? I presume?”

Daeyoung beamed, “Yeah, my mom.”

“How nice,” Hansol gestured to the tables outside, “it is a nice evening tonight. Not too hot, not too cold.”

The two were quickly seated with Hansol handing them the menus. “I’ll personally take care of you two,” he smiled warmly, “anything to drink?”

“Oh, water is just fine for me,” Youngjae said, grabbing the menu, “Daeyoung?”

“Strawberry lemonade please.”

“Sure, and I’ll be right back.”

Youngjae looked around, complementing the restaurant's atmosphere. “What a nice place.”

“All thanks to Jongsoo’s appetite.” Daeyoung said, looking out as he watched the people go by on the sidewalk. He turned his attention back to his mother, seeing that his mind was somewhere else. “Mom? You alright?”

“Hm?” He blinked, “uh...y-yeah, of course I am,” Youngjae shook his head, “I-I guess that returning back to the Seoul precinct...lots have changed. I have to relearn some things.” He said. “I’ll be alright.”

“You sure?” He asked, still concerned. “Was it that hard coming back?”

Youngjae let out a sigh; he shook his head. “No...not work. It’s just that being back in Seoul brings a lot of memories.” He turned his head, facing his son. “That’s all.”

“And here are your drinks,” Hansol said as he came back with the beverages, “have you two decided on what to eat?”

“Oh, uh, sorry,” Youngjae started to flip the pages, “can you please give us another minute?”

“Of course,” he nodded his head, “I’ll be back.” Hansol excused himself, returning back inside. One of the waiters informed the other he had company waiting in his office, “ah, thank you for telling me. If I don’t come back in five minutes, can you please take their order,” he pointed at Youngjae and Daeyoung, in which the waiter nodded his head, “thank you, Cheolsoo.”

Hansol walked passed the other, heading down the hallway to his office. As he opened the door, there he saw his lieutenant as well as his boss. “Sir,” Hansol bowed towards his superiors, “good evening. Captain Hyongjun...Boss Daehyun.”

“It’s alright.” Daehyun said, gesturing for the subordinate to stand up straight, “No need for formalities.”

“I’m sure you know why we are here? Well, besides this,” Hyongjun placed a large packet on Hansol’s desk, “fulfill the task alright. I already informed the others about the dealings.”

“Okay, okay, enough with that,” Daehyun turned to Hansol, quickly changing the subject, “the two...erm, the people that you are waiting on...”

“Erm, t-they are doing fine,” Hansol stammered, “you mean Jung Daeyoung...the boy. He is with his parent. His mother.”

‘He is...he is here…’ Daehyun felt his heart beating, ‘Youngjae is here.’

“May I say...Daeyoung really does look like you. A younger version I may add.”

“Takes after his father, hm?” Hyongjun patted his boss on the shoulder, “why not take a glance at them?”

Daehyun pondered a bit, but shook his head. “I can’t...too risky.”

“One glance...and it is a quick one. Look Hansol and I cannot just describe to you what Daeyoung is doing. Don’t you think it is better to see him for yourself? Just from the corner is fine, yeah?” Hyongjun said, wanting for his boss just to ease his mind. “I know you want to. And this is a great chance to see them.”

Daehyun closed his eyes, letting out a deep exhale. ‘One look.’ “Okay…” He said softly.

“And a quick one,” Hyongjun looked over at Hansol, “keep them occupied so they don’t spot him. Got it?”

Hansol nodded. He opened the door, exiting out with Daehyun following. “They are outside on the patio.” He said, looking over his shoulder.

Daehyun nodded, “okay…” He said, trying to calm himself, ‘just one peek...and that’s it.’

“Oh, Cheolsoo,” Hansol called, catching him before he went to wait on the two, “I’m here,” he gestured beside him, “And Boss is here as well.”

Cheolsoo blinked; now feeling nervous, he immediately bowed towards the other, “Boss, g-good evening.”

“Evening.” Daehyun nodded his head. Hansol informed the other that he will handle on waiting on the two and that he can return back to his post, or take the rest of the evening off. Cheolsoo took the opportunity and decided to call it a night. “Well,” Daehyun said, “have a good evening. Good work today.”

“U-Un.” Cheolsoo bowed once more, and quickly made his way to the back to gather his things.

Hansol cleared his throat, informing Daehyun that he will head out now. “I’ll try my best to make them look at me so you can see their faces. Hiding behind here,” he patted on the column beside him, “is probably the best. You can see them, but it will be a bit hard for them to see you. Unless you move farther away from the column...they will see you.” With a soft exhale, Hansol excused himself.

Daehyun took position, watching from afar. He watched as his son and former lover were giving their order, smiling brightly at one another. Once again, Daehyun felt his heartbeat at the sight. He let out a small smile. ‘As long as they are alive and well...I’m okay with that.’ He heard the three laugh at a joke that he presumed that Hansol told to make them laugh. Daehyun chuckled softly, ‘Youngjae is still has the cutest smile...didn’t change at all.’ He thought, moving his position a bit to get a closer look. ‘Just a bit...closer…’

‘Hm?’ Youngjae blinked, feeling an odd sensation. ‘What the…’ He quickly turned his face, facing the inside of the restaurant. He widened his eyes.

“Sir?” Hansol glanced at him. He looked at the direction that Youngjae was looking at, but saw nothing. “Sir --”

Youngjae shook his head, “uh...sorry,” he let out a chuckle, “I thought I saw something. Um,” he handed Hansol the menu, ‘that was weird...I swear someone was staring at me.’

Hansol took the menus, “I’ll be back...please, if there is anything else, don’t hesitate to tell me.” With that, Hansol took his leave. ‘Oh wow,’ he thought, wiping a bit of sweat coming from his forehead, ‘d-did boss move and he saw him?!’ As he turned at the corner, he jumped seeing his boss leaning against the wall, clutching his chest. “Boss --”

“Shh.” Daehyun placed his finger on his own lips, “he might come over if you act too suspicious.”

“B-but sir, I think he almost saw you.”

“Yeah, I know,” Daehyun sighed, pushing himself away from the wall, “that was my fault. I was being too careless. I just wanted to see him...I just wanted to be closer. That’s all.” Again with a dejected expression, “Erm, they looked well...yeah?”

Hansol nodded, “They do sir.”

“I think that is enough,” Hyongjun interjected, “let the Boss return home and you know what to do.”

“Un.” Hansol bowed towards the two, “have a good evening.” As Hansol stood up straight, he watched as Hyongjun escorted Daehyun out to the back where the private car was waiting. He sighed, feeling a bit unhappy for his boss.

Meanwhile, Daeyoung was surprised with his mother’s action that he asked if he was okay. “The sudden turn of your head, it scared me.”

“Ah, sorry. It’s just that I thought I saw something...or rather I thought that someone was watching us. Didn’t the man say that no one else is here...since it is a private dinner?” Youngjae asked, in which Daeyoung nodded.

“It is...erm, maybe you saw one of the employees. You know, the ones working in the kitchen to make the food?” Daeyoung took a sip of his drink, “Mr. Jeon can’t do everything by himself ya know.” He chuckled.

Youngjae did the same; he spoke. “You have the same laugh as your father.”

“Eh? I do?” Daeyoung placed his hand in front of his lips, “yeah?”

“Hm,” Youngjae nodded, smiling, “it looks like I’m looking at a mirror.” He said, smiling brighter.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Couple months have passed and both Youngjae and Daeyoung were busy with their respective jobs. Youngjae with his desk work and Daeyoung with school. It was now break time for Daeyoung that he checked his phone, seeing that his mother would be late returning home. ‘Again for the third time this week,’ he sighed, ‘but it is work...you gotta do what you got to do.’ He closed his cellphone and placed it back in his pocket.

“Yosh!”

“Ugh...it’s you.” Daeyoung sighed, resting his chin against the palm of his hand. Hoon puffed his cheeks, but took a seat in front of Daeyoung’s desk.

“Rude. Can I not visit my friend?”

“We are not friends. We are more of an acquaintance last time I checked.” He said bluntly, which caused Hoon to act hurt, placing his hand over his own chest. “Nice acting.”

“Thanks! So anyway,” he started, fishing out his cellphone, “we have been ‘acquaintances’,” he said doing air quotes with his fingers, “for months now. And we have yet to exchange kakao id!!”

“Hm?”

“You even have Byungwook’s id!”

“Eh? Because he is the vice captain on the soccer team. Everyone on the team exchanged numbers. It makes sense if I need to contact any of them in case I need to inform them on something. Why would I need yours?”

“I...er...well that is because --”

“Funny...I’m surprised you didn’t ask Byungwook for the id. Considering you two are best friends.” Daeyoung chuckled.

“I thought it would be more respectful asking you personally.” Hoon said, “so...yes?”

“Eh...maybe. We will see how I feel about it,” Daeyoung chuckled, sticking out his tongue playfully, “anyway, break is about to end so shoo.” He said, shooing away the other with his hand.

“Fine, fine.” Hoon stood up, pushing the chair back in its place. “I’ll see you and the others at lunch then.”

“Un.”

Hoon quickly made his way out of the classroom, running into Bitna at the door. Daeyoung raised his eyebrow at the two, seeing that they were again bickering. ‘Those two bicker a lot everytime I see them.’ He sighed. As Bitna moved to the side, she let out a sigh.

“What in the world was Hoon doing here,” she groaned, “that baboon doesn’t have the brain to be in AP classes...ugh, I dread seeing his face every time he is here.” She took her seat, sipping on her coffee milk.

“Ah, sorry, he was visiting me...again.” Daeyoung chuckled, “you sure do hate his guts though.”

“He would always embarrass me whenever he got the chance. And I’ll never forget!! Third grade all the way to fifth!! He embarrassed me in front of my crush and it was so horrible that I couldn’t even -- ugh. Let's not talk about this. I’m starting to relive the memory.”

Daeyoung laughed, leaning over to pat his friend on the back. “There, there.”

“Ugh...anyway, you have practice yeah? Soccer?”

“Un,” he nodded, “I may not be in the varsity team, but being a substitute player is good. After playing a few scrimmages, I realized that I’m actually bad at it.” He chuckled, “But you know, it is fun. I’m thankful for Sangcheol and Byungwook for staying after practice to help me.”

“Hm, the first game is in soon, right? Good luck at the game. I know that Youngtae and Hyuna will be there, but it is on the same day as Eunyoung and I’s volleyball game.” She pouted, “I really wanted to see you play.”

“N-No way, I’m probably not even going to be in the game. Remember substitute.” Daeyoung waved his hand in the air.

“Is your mom going to be there?”

“Hm...I dunno. My mom is so busy with work...he returns late.”

“Oh...really? It would be great for him to see you play -- if you play.” She corrected herself, “Well, I hope that your mom comes.”

“Yeah, me too.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

‘I wonder how they are doing,’ Daehyun thought, tapping his pen against the table, ‘it has been months and all I heard were that they are doing fine. Well...Youngjae is working so hard at the precinct and with Daeyoung at school. Ugh, I hope they ate well...Daeyoung should be eating well. According to one of the subordinates, they said that he saw them practicing at the local soccer park and they saw Daeyoung practicing. I wonder if he made it to the soccer varsity team at school…’

“Daehyun!”

He jerked his head up at the sudden call. He looked to his left, at the head of the table. The boss.

His boss.

The ruthless mafia boss, Bang Yongguk.

Yongguk leaned against his palm, looking straight at Daehyun with cold eyes. If it was one thing being part of the Hellhounds, you must not ignore the boss. Even if you are an underboss or not, never turn a blind eye. Yongguk’s eyes continued to pierce Daehyun, “nice that you can finally join us.” He said, feeling a bit annoyed.

“I-I’m sorry.” Daehyun cleared his throat, “I think I caught something. I’m not feeling all that well.”

Down in the gangnam district, every month on the sixth day, the boss, his underbosses, and as well as the captains of each underboss, would participate in the meeting, about progress on their dealings, news, and anything in between. “Well,” Yongguk started to say, “last month you said the same thing,” he placed the folder on his right, “and the month before that.” He looked up at Daehyun once more with the piercing gaze, “do you need Doctor Hyelim to look into you? Because being sick every time we have this meeting...it is very troublesome.”

“Yes,” Kim Himchan, an underboss and very much close to the boss himself, displayed a worried expression on his face, “you have been acting very odd every month.”

“Maybe every month he does get sick --”

“Don’t be stupid Junhong,” another underboss, Moon Jongup, leaned back in his seat and tilted his head to face Daehyun, “you are faking it.”

“Faking?” The youngest underboss, Choi Junhong, turned to face the other, “eh? Is he telling the truth?”

‘What is Jongup playing at?’ Daehyun gritted his teeth. He composed himself before speaking, “It is just as Junhong said. Nothing else.”

Jongup didn’t believe it; he smirked a bit before sitting up straight in his seat, “Boss, I would like to request a private audience.”

“On what grounds?”

“Oh...I just would rather tell everyone without our captains around,” he gestured around the two men and two women sitting against the walls of the room, “it is a private matter anyways.”

“Hm…” Intrigued, Yongguk snapped his fingers, loud enough for it to echo in the room, “Everyone. Out.”

Hyongjun felt nervous. ‘No way...did they find out about Daehyun’s private matter with Youngjae and Daeyoung? How is that even possible --’

“Ahn Hyongjun.”

“H-Hu?”

Yongguk turned his attention to Daehyun’s captain, “are you deaf?”

“Not that I can...recall sir.”

“Then get out!” He yelled. “Can you not follow orders?!” He rubbed his forehead, easing his frustration.

“Sir.” Hyongjun shakingly stood up, and quickly exited the room. As the door closed, Yongguk turned his attention towards Jongup.

“Well? What is that you needed to tell us privately?”

“Why don’t I let Daehyun tell you guys,” Jongup leaned over the table, placing his hands underneath his chin. He smirked, knowing that it is very valuable information, “wouldn’t it be better?”

“About what?” Junhong raised his eyebrow at the other. “Well?”

Daehyun hesitated. ‘How does Jongup know? Did he see them? Wait...how -- he wouldn’t know about Daeyoung would he? Youngjae and I kept our relationship a secret...surely he doesn’t know...none of them knew!’ He cleared his throat, “I don’t know what you are talking about, Jongup.”

Irritated at the response, Jongup leaned back in his seat. “Why didn’t you tell us that you had a son?”

“Hu?!” Himchan widen his eyes, shocked by the news, “with -- wait, you were in a relationship? Who is the person?! Is it someone within the mafia?”

‘Used...to be.’ Daehyun thought.

“Daehyun, why didn’t you say anything?!” Junhong said, also equally shocked at the news, “Jongup, how --”

“It is not good to keep secrets within the mafia, Daehyun, especially from Boss.” Jongup smiled that let chills run down Daehyun’s spine, however it is true.

Rule number two.

Never keep secrets from the boss. To the Boss, it is a sign of being unfaithful.

Daehyun slowly glanced at Yongguk. ‘He is not happy…’ Yongguk, just like earlier, set piercing gazes at him. ‘Either he knows or doesn’t…’

“Well?” Jongup said, “son. How is he? Attending to Dohyun High School.”

Daehyun clenched his hand into a ball. ‘.’ “Okay, so he is my son...what is the problem? He doesn’t know about me or this business. He has nothing that would interest the Boss or benefit the mafia. So, why are you -- ”

“Actually,” Yongguk said, interrupting Daehyun’s words. He leaned back in his seat, folding his hands in front of his lap, “there is actually something really great about him. Well, two things great.”

“W-Wha? What?”

“One,” he pointed his pointer finger, “he is academically gifted,” he smiled, “a young boy like him, almost done with high school, and only fourteen. Taking advanced placement courses and even has time for after school programs.”

“What does...why would that matter? How is that beneficial to us?”

“Someone like him would be a great use. Train him well, we can have the best hacker. Better than the ones that we have recruited. Train him well, we can have the best straigest on our team when dealing with poser mafias groups, transactions, and plans incase of backfire. Train him well, and he will surely benefit the mafia group, Daehyun.”

“B-But --”

“Two,” Yongguk set up another finger, “he is the son...of our Jung Daehyun...and that bastard that betrayed this family, Yoo Youngjae.”

“W-What…” Himchan’s jaw dropped, “Youngjae? H-He can’t be the same Youngjae that --”

“In fact, he is the same one. Undercover police man, Yoo Youngjae.” Yongguk chuckled, “this is perfect actually.”

“What are you thinking of doing?” Daehyun asked in a firm tone.

“I want him dead!” Jongup yelled with laughter in the air, “he betrayed us, Daehyun! Betrayed! He ing sold us out! For four years he was with us, waiting for the perfect moment to get us!! I want his head on a platter!”

“Shut your mouth Moon Jongup!” Daehyun slammed his hand on the metal table, abruptedly standing up from his chair, “I would close that ing mouth of yours I swear to god --”

“Whoa, whoa,” Jongup held his hands up, “what in the world? Are you defending him?” He asked, raising his eyebrow at the other. “Are you?”

“We were in prison for eight ing months and we are alive and well! Isn’t that enough?” Daehyun looked at the other underbosses, hoping that they would agree with him. “Come on, Boss...you can’t  be serious about going with -- even considering Jongup’s idea? You aren’t going to hire one of our hitmen after him...a-are you?” His voice started to shake. The idea of Youngjae dead was something he didn’t want to come into reality. He had to change his boss’ mind. ‘I can’t have -- I don’t want Daeyoung to be without a parent!’

The underbosses looked over at Yongguk, wanting to know what his plan was, however, Yongguk was silent. He had the look that he was still thinking. Daehyun spoke again. “Look, he...he is just a boy. Boss I-I’m begging you...give him that one chance to live a normal life. We have a lot of people in the mafia already. Adding him is too much.”

“You care for him?”

“Wha -- of course I do --”

“Even though he doesn’t know who you are.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“You are in the soccer club?”

“Un,” Daeyoung nodded his head. He took a scoop of his ice cream, and continued to tell his childhood friends about his school life, “even though I’m not that good, but at least I am trying.”

“Of course,” the eldest in the group, Oh Sehan assured him, “takes time and hard work to be good at something.”

“When is your game?” another, Park Baekyeol asked, “hopefully if it is not conflicting with our scheduling, we would like to see you play!” He said with happiness.

“No way! I don’t want you guys to see me at playing soccer,” he blushed, “beside, I would rather have you guys pay attention to your training than watching me.”

“Seriously? Come on…” the youngest, Kim Xiuchen, said crossing his arms in the process, “this is practically our chance to see more of you.”

“Xiuchen is right,” another of Daeyoung’s childhood friend, Zhang Joonxing, said, “with our busy lives, we barely hang out ever since you came back to Seoul.”

“I know, but...I would rather have you guys focus on your dreams. How is it going by the way?”

“It’s so difficult!!” Jongsoo leaned back in his seat groaning and whining about the trainee life, “I want to eat a potato!!”

“He gained,” Sehan said, pointing at the depressed Jongsoo, “he gained a couple, so he is on a strict diet...conducted by our instructor...aka his dad made him go on a diet,” He sighed, shrugging his shoulders, “it is one of those things where we have to tough it out and work hard.”

Daeyoung nodded; he hoped to see his childhood friends succeed in fulfilling their goals as being idol singers. “See, focus more on training. Besides, it is just high school soccer...not the nation’s team.”

Yitao chuckled; he patted the other on the back, “you're right. So, how is school...academically. You are doing well with your studies?”

“Of course,” he gave a peace sign, showing no emotion with it, “aced my two tests that I had a couple of days ago, and only missed one question on the pop quiz that we had.”

“That is our Daeyoung for you,” Baekyeol chuckled, “the smarty-pants one. How about friends? You aren’t lonely are you?”

“I made some friends. They are really nice. Met a couple of weirdos, but you know, they are okay.”

“That is good to know,” Sehan said, “we worry sometimes about you. Since we aren’t around like back then...it is great to know that you aren’t alone.”

“But still, we are your favorites, right?” Jongsoo asked, in which Daeyoung had to roll his eyes over. He nodded saying that they were, “and the most handsome looking group ever?”

“Uh, sure.” ‘Whatever makes you happy.’ He chuckled. “I should get going,” he dabbed his lips with a napkin, “I have soccer practice since the game is tomorrow.”

“You have practice? And you just ate!” Joonxing said with worry, “it isn’t good to practice if you just ate!”

“Don’t worry about it. It isn’t within a few hours anyway. I just want to get home and get my stuff. But before all of that, I want to stop by the bookstore and get something anyway.”

“Oh, er, then that will work,” Joonxing scratched his cheek, “do you need anyone to accompany you?”

“Eh? You’re acting like my mom,” Daeyoung groaned, “not you too…”

“You said that you were heading to the bookstore yeah?” Jongsoo asked, now standing up from his seat, “I’ll go with you. There is this comic that I want to get.”

“There, Jongsoo will accompany you,” Xiuchen had to suppress his laughter, much to Daeyoung’s displeasure, “hey, don’t fret, Joonxing is pretty much my chaperone.”

“Ugh, whatever.”

“Lets go.” Jongsoo waved goodbye to the others, “I’ll see you guys back in dorm.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daehyun squinted his eyes, not really pleased with the view that he was seeing. “Hyongjun.”

“Hm?” He looked up from his sandwich that he was eating, “w-what? What’s wrong?”

“That boy over there,” he pointed his finger, letting it touch the car’s window, “do you have any information about that boy.”

“Hu --”

“Because he is walking with my son!!” Daehyun’s aura went from boss mode to overprotect parent, “I have never seen this boy in my life! Why is he so close to Daeyoung?!”

Hyongjun glanced over, seeing Daeyoung walking with a much taller and dull looking individual. He focused more, trying his best to glance at the individual and see his face. However, the other was wearing a black, mouth mask. “I can’t really tell...and he is wearing a sweatshirt, so I can’t see any markings like tattoos and such if he had any.” ‘If he only he decided to wear a shirt, those markings would be a great identifier.’

“Oh wait, he is taking his mask off…” Daehyun said. Just as the individual lowered his mask, Hyongjun recognized the face immediately.

“Ah, he is one of your son’s friends. Childhood friends to be exact.” He grabbed his phone from his pocket, pressing on an app specifically designed by the Hellhounds’ team that kept records and information on people that the bosses worked with, their families and friends, in case they ever decide to rat them out, they would have information on them. In short, it was having an eye in the sky. However, Daehyun privately instructed one of the developers that were under his leadership, Ji Chaeyoung, to alter his and Hyongjun’s to also keep tabs on his son and Youngjae, even having a list of close friends. Hyongjun scrolled through, letting out an ‘ah’. “He is Kim Jongsoo, son of retired idols, now instructors in BIG THREE Entertainment, Kim Jongin and Do Kyungsoo, age seventeen --”

“Seventeen?!”

“Yes...seventeen and is currently a trainee at BIG THREE Entertainment,” he kept on scrolling, “turns out that there are six of them, including him, that are friends with Daeyoung and are trainees at the company.”

“Names.”

“Oh Sehan, Wu Yitao, Park Baekyeol, Zhang Joonxing, and Kim Xiuchen.” He showed his boss his phone, which displayed their trainee ids.

“Ah,” Daehyun nodded his head, seeing the two walk into a bookstore, “you don’t think that they are...you know.”

“Huh?” Hyongjun placed his phone in his pocket, “what?”

“You know...what teens do. Dating.”

“Uh, boss, I don’t think --”

“Because Daeyoung is so young to be dating!!” Daehyun said in a panic, “I can’t have it!! We have to go inside!”

“Wha?!”

“Did you see that guy? When he pulled down his mask, he is goodlooking -- oh my god they are dating.” Daehyun leaned back in his seat, not happy with the ‘conclusion’ that his son was dating a man that was older than he was. “Oh...my god I cannot believe it.” He placed his hand over his own heart; he groaned, while Hyongjun was taken back from the sudden outburst, yet he let out a laugh. “You are not laughing are you. Don’t tell me you are laughing.”

“I’m sorry...I just...it is nice and a good change to see you go from mafia boss to an overprotective father. It is so different, so it is an interesting change.” Hyongjun got out of the car, “plus...I think this will be a good chance to see your son up close. Don’t you think?”

‘He is right. This is actually the perfect chance!’ “Un.” Daehyun placed his shades on and got out of the car. The two crossed over the street and headed inside the bookstore that Daeyoung and Jongsoo went it. As they entered, they saw that it was slightly packed. “So many people,” he turned to the side, seeing that they were having a sale on books, “that’s why.”

“I’ll go look around. Good luck in finding them. And remember, bask in the moment.” Hyongjun reminded before turning to his left to descend down the stairs. Daehyun sighed, looking left and right. He couldn’t believe it; he was in the same store as his son.

‘This is the closest that I have ever been in.’ Daehyun thought as he maneuvered his way through the crowd, ‘though, it isn’t fair...I can’t even talk to him...plus, if I do...who knows...Jongup’s subordinates might be lingering. They might see and pursue the boss to take Daeyoung in to be part of the mafia. I can’t let that happen,’ he nodded, ‘I won’t be able to live with myself.’

Daehyun headed upstairs to the second floor, thinking that he will be able to get a good view to look down upon the people. ‘Even if it is an aerial view it will be good enough.’ He made it to the top, seeing that there was one table let near the railing. He beelined his way over and grabbed the seat.

“Oh!” Daehyun looked up; his eyes widen a bit seeing that it was his son that was in front of him, with books in his hand and the other hand grabbing a chair to sit down. Daeyoung gave an apologetic nod, “s-sorry about that,” he released his hand from the chair, “I didn’t --”

“N-No no, go ahead,” Daehyun gestured, ‘Daeyoung…’ “looks like you need it more than I do,” he let out a nervous chuckle, “s-studying I see.” Daehyun tried his best to keep his composure in front of his son. It started to sadden him, knowing that his son doesn’t see him as a father, but a stranger than he ran into the bookstore.

“If you don’t mind, we can share,” Daeyoung smiled, gesturing the seat in front of him, “my friend will be in the comic section for a while anyway. Better to give a seat to someone who needs it.”

“O-Oh...erm, thank you. You are too kind.”

Daeyoung chuckled, “I was raised to be polite,” he flipped over the first page of his book, “besides...it is the most common sense thing to do.”

Daehyun hesitated, but let out a nod. “Your parents raised you well.”

The younger looked up, “yeah.” He said, gesturing once again for Daehyun to take his seat, “please.”

Not even a split second, Daehyun took his seat. He started to debate whether or not to take off his shades. If he does, the younger will see his face. ‘But that doesn’t really matter, now does it…’ Not thinking that it is a dangerous thing, Daehyun took off his shades, placing them on the table.

Daeyoung glanced up, seeing the man in front of him looked cool and composed. Almost looking like a model from a magazine. ‘Wow! What is a man cool as him doing here?’ He thought, ‘maybe to get away from it all? To relax? Well, idols do have a hard life...maybe he is trying to relax.’ He tried to resume back to his book, but couldn’t help himself from looking up once in awhile at the other. ‘Something about this man...feels...warm,’ Daeyoung thought again, ‘weird…’

“Am I bothering you?”

“H-Hu?” Daeyoung blinked, seeing that the man in front of him was looking at him with concern, “W-Wha? Sorry, what was that?”

“Am I bothering you?” Daehyun let out a weak smile, “if I am, I can move. More space for you anyway.”

“Oh, n-no...erm, sorry, it is just that I was...I mean, you look very cool,” ‘Cool?! Ugh...this isn’t going so well…,’ “What I mean is, not everyday you get to be near someone that looks like an idol.” Feeling that he was digging himself even more, he told the older that he would be quiet.

Daehyun chuckled at his son. ‘To think that I am an idol? Not really…if anything I’m more wanted for horrible things.’ “I’ll take it as a compliment,” he chuckled, “Even if I am old, it is nice to know that I am still young looking enough to be considered as an idol.”

“Old? I was thinking that you must be at least...late twenties?”

“Now you are being too kind,” Daehyun chuckled, ‘do I really look that young?’

“Daeyoung!”

The two glanced over at the source of the voice; it was Jongsoo with six books at hand. “Eh?”

Jongsoo blinked, glancing left and right at the two. “Uh...erm, hello,” he said towards Daehyun before turning to the younger, “you...know him?” ‘it looks like I’m looking at an older Daeyoung.’

Daeyoung shook his head, almost happily, “I just met him. He needed a seat so I offered,” he turned to the other, “I’m sorry...I didn’t catch your name.”

“My name?”

“Un,” he nodded, “your name. Ah, my name is Daeyoung...this is my friend, Jongsoo.”

‘Damn it Daeyoung,’ Jongsoo let out a strained smile, ‘the hell you telling him our names?! What happened in being aware of freakin’ strangers!’ “Nice to meet you, sir.” He bowed towards him.

“Hm,” Daehyun nodded his head towards him, “I’m Dae --” ‘Wait...I can’t tell him my name...fourteen years has been a long time, but...I can’t be risky.’

“Dae? Just Dae?” Jongsoo raised his eyebrow at the other.

“Dae...Jae.” ‘Daejae...what the .’ Daehyun mentally cursed at himself, wanting to punch his own face. “Jung...Daejae.”

“Daejae?” Daeyoung blinked, ‘weird name…,’ “it is, uh, unique.”

“It sure is.” Daehyun said, letting out a nervous laugh, “parents.”

“Well,” Jongsoo cleared his throat, “can I leave these here? I’m gonna get more.”

“What? You gonna buy these?” Daeyoung pointed, in which Jongsoo nodded.

“These are for Yitao and Joonxing,” he held up one of the books, “The panda boy messaged me on kakao. Yitao likes Tokyo Ghoul and he wanted me to get volumes seven and eight. The rest are for Joonxing.”

“I didn’t know Joonxing likes Bungou Stray Dogs,” Daeyoung picked up the book, “the art is wonderful...he told me about it.”

“Un. Well, if you will excuse me, sir.” Jongsoo said, before heading back to the comic section. Daehyun eased up a bit, resting his hands on his lap.

‘Oh jeez...why did I freeze up when asking my name. Any name would have been adequate, but I said ‘Dae’...,’ Daehyun sighed, ‘I have to be careful…’ He looked up at his son, who was now reading the book that he got and started to take notes. Daehyun let out a small smile, ‘Youngjae raised him so well...though giving out your name like that...man, I hope that he isn’t that open with strangers.’ He nodded to himself, ‘I would have never thought that you and I would be this close to each other. This is good enough for me.’

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Who was that guy? He was a real creep...Daeyoung, I’m telling you, weirdos will go for young, pretty boys like you,” Jongsoo said with concern in his tone, “wasn’t he weird?”

“Um,” Daeyoung hummed for a bit, thinking of the right words, “he wasn’t to be honest. He...he -- okay this is going to sound weird, but he gave off a warm vibe.” He said, letting out a soft chuckle.

“That isn’t funny...what warm vibe are you talking about?” Jongsoo raised his eyebrow.

“Did he look like someone who would do something bad?”

“Well --”

“Good vibes. I get good vibes from him.”

“That means and you know it. Doesn’t matter,” Jongsoo waved his hand in the air, “just be more careful next time...and don’t say our names out loud. And you know better, Daeyoung.”

“Okay, okay,” Daeyoung sighed, “I know what the feeling of danger is, but for some reason he didn’t…he didn’t give off a bad vibe.” ‘It was comforting and warm…’

“Just next time...be more aware.” Jongsoo said, “alright?” He turned towards the other, making sure that Daeyoung heard him.

“I got it…”

With a sigh, Jongsoo nudged the other. “Just trying to protect you. You know your mom would kick all of our asses. Hm, though, I do have to admit,” he started to scratch his head, “you looked a lot like him. It was almost as if you were a younger version of that weirdo.”

Daeyoung scoffed, “what?”

“Yeah...just that you two looked like father and son,” he shrugged, “it was actually interesting. You had the same eyes, face shape...and especially your lips.”

Daeyoung bit the inside of his cheek as he touched his own lips, “yeah?”

“For sure. It was interesting,” he said, not really making much of it, “even the way you guys smiled from time to time at whatever you guys laughed at.” As they reached Daeyoung’s apartment, he was about to ring the doorbell when the door opened. “Oh! Mr. Yoo.” Jongsoo bowed towards him. “Afternoon.”

“Jongsoo?” Youngjae tilted his head, “don’t you have trainee practice today?”

“Not today sir. After the hangout, I accompanied him to the bookstore,” he lifted up his purchase, “comics for me, Yitao, and Joonxing...they owe me so much.” He cried.

Youngjae placed his hands on his hips, “you spent your allowance on comics?”

“Yes…”

Youngjae let out a sigh, “you three and your comics. Come in. I actually made some food. Take some food back to the dorm.” He gestured for them to come in. “What did you get Daeyoung?” He asked, looking over his shoulder. “Anything?”

“Just this one...for school.” He lifted up the book before tossing it on the couch.

“Mr. Yoo, you won’t believe what happened in the bookstore today,” Jongsoo started to say, “we met a guy at a bookstore and it was so weird because he and Daeyoung looked the same.”

Youngjae turned around, raising an eyebrow at the younger. “That is...weird. Like...what do you mean?”

Jongsoo grabbed one of the snacks on the table, “What I mean is,” he said as he munched, “the guy looked like he could have been Daeyoung’s dad. The resemblance was uncanny.”

Daeyoung rolled his eyes; he glanced at his mother, wondering if he was thinking the same thing, but to his surprise, it brought sadness in his mother’s eyes.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung rubbed the towel against his head, feeling all refreshed from his shower. ‘Practice was brutal...I’m so tired…’ He hung his towel on the hook behind his door, before heading out to the kitchen area to grab himself a box of barley tea. Just as he passed his mother’s room, he backtracked a bit, seeing Youngjae sitting on his bed, looking over at files from work. He sighed, ‘for sure he won’t be able to make it to the game. Well, it is not like I’m starting or anything…’ “Mom?”

“Hm?” Youngjae looked up from his paperwork, “oh Daeyoung,” he took off his glasses, rubbing his eyes, “where are you going?”

“Kitchen. Want anything? I’m getting barley tea.”

“Ah, no I’m okay, thank you.”

Daeyoung let out a small smile, “no problem mom. Erm...mom…”

“Hm?”

Daeyoung his lips, hesitating a bit on if he should ask his mother about his father. Afterall, he doesn’t know much about him. Daeyoung never really pushed his mother to tell him about his father. In fact, he didn’t really care for his father at all, but there was a lingering of wanting to know. “Um,” he cleared his throat, “I just want to know about…”

“About what?”

“A-About...my dad.”

Youngjae blinked, sitting upright. He stared at his son, thinking on how he should proceed with the question. How can he answer this accordingly. “Ah...what about him?”

“It is...just from what Jongsoo said. Well, he said that the guy that we met...he said that he looked like me. Like father and son. And it got me thinking...erm, I was just wondering about dad. What was he like...how old were you two when you got together...all that stuff. Was he...cool? He must be handsome because I mean,” gesturing his face to show off his good looks, “look at me. I’m so handsome as you always say.”

Youngjae held in his laughter; he nodded. “You sure do look like him...that is for sure. A mini-me,” he smiled, “Um...your father. How should I say it…um, he was...ha. A sweet heart.” He said, snapping his fingers after finding out the right word.

Daeyoung raised his eyebrow before scoffing, “a sweetheart? Like from day one he was that nice.”

“Honestly...very nice. But you know your mother,” Youngjae sighed, “I was more oblivious to his kindness. I wasn’t in that mindset just yet. My, erm, job and working was far more important to me.”

“Is that right?” Daeyoung hummed, “poor dad. Sounds like he was struck by cupid immediately when he saw you.”

“After a...couple of months, I finally understood why he clung onto me.”

“Hm. So, what actually happened with dad?”

Youngjae bit the inside of his cheek; he knew that this was coming. He avoided the situation and since Daeyoung hasn’t said anything or questioned the whereabouts of his father, Youngjae assumed that his son didn’t really care. ‘That man and what Jongsoo said really made Daeyoung wonder...well, it is not like I’m mad about it.’ “Your father...passed away.”

Daeyoung froze in place; he tried to not to be surprised, considering that he didn’t know much about his father at all, but knowing that he would never meet his father was something heart wrenching. “I-Is that so,” he choked, “ah...well, it is not like...like I was that close to him anyway, you know?” He let out a shrugged before heading out to get a drink.

Youngjae felt a pang in his heart, knowing that Daeyoung deep down really wished that he had his father around. ‘Oh Daeyoung…’ His eyes lowered even more, now thinking about Daehyun. ‘I actually wish you were here...are you mad at me? For lying to you...lying to everyone.’ After the thought, he remembered everyone’s expressions as he showed his police badge crystal clear in his mind. To him, he felt ecstatic. A deep satisfaction that he was able to take down and arrest the number one mafia in all of Korea. However, seeing the expressions of the men that he literally shared a bond with, was tearing him apart.

Especially seeing Daehyun’s.

It wasn’t shocked nor hatred.

It was rather of a pained expression. Deception. And it was an expression that Youngjae would never forget.

“Uh, mom.”

“H-Huh?” Youngjae turned his head to face his son, shaking his thoughts away. Daeyoung cleared his throat.

“Um...another question.”

“Yes?”

“Are you...lonely?”

“Lonely? Why?”

The younger shrugged, “well...i-it is just that as long as I can remember...it was just you and me. I mean, I give you my blessing and all that.”

“H-Huh?! Do you even know what you are saying, Daeyoung?”

“Un! I do,” he said with a nod, “I just want mom to be happy is all. Don’t you have anyone that you like?”

“Ugh...seriously Daeyoung,” Youngjae got up from his bed, accpraching his son and giving him a hug, “I don’t need anyone...you are enough.” He said, smiling softly at the younger. “You are the love of my life.”

“Hm...I’m guessing dad was the first love of your life, huh?” Daeyoung felt his mother hugged him tightly, indicating that it might be true.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“What...are those…” Daeyoung’s expression started to scrunch up, seeing the handmade signs that Youngtae and Hyuna made for the soccer match. The duo beamed, waving their signs.

“We thought it would be great!” Hyuna said, “Why? Are they not?” She asked, now feeling a bit dejected considering how Daeyoung reacted it them. To avoid Hyuna from crying Daeyoung it up and let out a small smile.

“They are great. It is just that I don’t think I’ll be playing anyway.”

“Then why are you dressed in your soccer uniform?” Hyuna glanced up and down at the younger at his black and red colored uniform.

Daeyoung glanced down; he sighed, “I don’t even know why.”

Youngtae laughed; he patted him on the shoulder, “look...who knows...you might play today. And if you do, Hyuna and I will be there to cheer for you.”

With a sigh, Daeyoung knew that his friends were just being nice. He smiled, thanking the two for their hard work. Hyuna took out her phone wanting to get a selfie. “Come on! One photo!”

“Why --”

“Smile!!” Hyuna said as she clicked the button. She glanced at the photo with Youngtae giving out a peace sign with Daeyoung still in mid sentence. She laughed, “this will do! I have to send it to Bitna and Eunyoung.”

Daeyoung sighed, rubbing his forehead with his fingers. “I guess Bitna and Eunyoung left for their game?” He asked, hoping to change the subject.

“Yeah. They wished you good luck though.” Youngtae said, “your opponent Holy Sisters Academy right?”

“Un,” Daeyoung nodded, “are they tough?”

“I’m not quite sure, but does ‘Two-Time Soccer Champion’ mean anything to you?”

“No...no it does not,” Daeyoung said sarcastically.

Youngtae chuckled, “I’m actually surprised that we are here in the public park,” he said, glancing around, “well, then again...this park was made by the class of 1975.”

“Wow...alumnis still give back to their high school?”

“The graduated class from Holy Sisters always do. To show off mostly. With his park, it really shows that they have the money to make a nice park. A park that is great for just walking about and relaxing...as well as having an athletic side for soccer. This park is just huge.”

“How do you know this?”

“My cousin attends Holy Sisters. He is actually on the soccer team.” He pointed at player number 10. “The guy with the -- man, he attends a private school and he goes and dyes his hair a cobalt color.”

“Fun fact, Youngtae was accepted to Holy Sisters.” Hyuna said.

Youngtae was about to respond when the coach started to clap his hands to get his players’ attention.

“Okay guys listen up --”

“Eh? The coach.” Daeyoung said, turning around.

“ -- the game will be starting soon so the starting line up will be Byungwook, Jungmo, Seihoon, Woosung, the Kang Twins, Sungjin, Insik, Jaegeun, Dongha, and Deoksoo…alright?”

“Yes!” The team said in unison. The coach nodded his head, asking Byungwook and Dongha to go through some strategy reviews. Daeyoung thought nothing of it, thinking he wouldn’t play today. He resumed talking with Youngtae and Hyuna, until Hoon showed up with snacks.

“Yosh,” he lifted the plastic bag, “snacks?”

“Where did you get those?” Daeyoung asked.

“I bought them before coming here. The opponent’s area is near the main streets so...yeah,” he grabbed a snack, “thought we could all munch on them while we watch the game.”

“We will be heading to the bleachers, Daeyoung,” Hyuna said as she gave a fighting pose, “good luck today!”

“But I don’t --”

“Even if you’re not playing...good luck.” She said with a beaming smile on her face. She took her leave with Youngtae following right behind her. Hoon nodded his head, wishing him good luck as well, before following the duo.

‘Ahh...well...whatever.’ He thought as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Daeyoung!”

‘Hm?’ He turned to see one of the Kang twins, Jeongnam, wave towards him.

“Let's warm up!”

‘Warm up? Ah, well he is a starter. I should help him out anyway.’ “Okay!” He said, jogging up towards the other.

“Thanks so much Daeyoung,” he said, patting him on the back, “I feel like I’m warmed up already, but I would like to do a few passes if you don’t mind. Even though it is our first game, Holy Sisters Academy is such a tough opponent. For once I would like to beat them before I graduate.” He laughed, “weird, I know, but it is true.”

“Not at all. Whatever helps you...I’ll do my best.”

The two started to do their warmups, while passersby stopped knowing that a game was about to start soon. One of them was Daehyun, watching afar and standing by a tree to conceal his presence. Adjusting his shades and hat, he leaned back against the tree, wondering if Daeyoung was going to play or not. ‘Out of all the sports, he is playing soccer,’ he beamed, ‘just like papa!’

He turned hearing a young boy telling his father that he wanted to watch the game. “Can we? I wanna watch them play soccer, dad.”

“Hm…,” the father pondered a bit, before nodding his head, “sure, why not” He picked him up, holding him in his arms, “you sure do love soccer, Youngkee...maybe I should convince mommy to sign you up for soccer lessons.”

The young boy displayed the brightest smile on his face, nodding his head. The two started to make their way over to fence to watch the game. Daehyun couldn’t help, but smile. ‘If only…’

A whistle was heard and the players were already lining up. Daehyun continued to watch, wishing his son good luck.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung kept his head down, resting against his knees. The game was already over, but the last few minutes was most embarrassing for the younger. The game was 1-0, with Holy Sisters leading. For Daeyoung’s team, it was unfortunate that one of the starters, Insik, sprained his ankle and a substitute was mandatory. Daeyoung was put it and with the seconds counting down, he thought that had a shot to make the winning goal. However, he missed the goal and the game was over.

Holy Sisters won, and Daeyoung felt humiliated.

“Daeyoung…”

‘Hnn…go away…’

“Daeyoung,” he heard Youngtae call for him softly, “look...it is okay. It was the first game anyway.”

“Yeah,” Hyuna knelt down, rubbing Daeyoung on the back to calm him, “there is no need to be upset.” Daeyoung groaned; he mumbled a few incoherent words. “Huh? Daeyoung I can’t hear you…”

“I said..that I was... I’m so humiliated. I should have made that shot, but I kicked it so far to the right that it went passed the goal. I could have tied it...ugh, coach should have just picked someone else who was better than me.”

“Daeyoung it is okay,” Byungwook said, grabbing his backpack, “Holy Sisters are just a great team. They have a lot of good strategies. They aren't two-time champions for nothing.” He reached over and ruffled his hair; he chuckled, “we do have to train you more on shooting more accurately though.” He said, trying his best to ease up the younger, but it didn’t work.

“How about we all head out for dinner?” Hoon suggested, “hm? There is a small cafe down the street. I know it is just a cafe, but it is close by.”

“Sounds good,” Sangcheol nodded, “right Daeyoung?”

With no response, he just shrugged his shoulders, “erm, I think I’m gonna take a rain check,” he slowly stood up with his head still lowered, “I’m gonna head home.”

“I’ll go with you,” Hoon said, “it is getting late anyway --”

“Nah, it is okay,” Daeyoung said, “thank you though. Enjoy dinner.” He grabbed his backpack, swinging it over his shoulder. “Uh, I just want to be by myself.”

“What about a ride?” Hyuna said, “Daeyoung it is already late --”

“I’ll tell my mom,” he grabbed his phone from his backpack, “don’t worry. I will see you all tomorrow.”

“B-But --”

“Later.” Daeyoung quickly turned and started to walk the pathway of the park. His friends watched, worried about the younger. Hyuna was about to follow, but Sangcheol extended his arm out to stop her.

“What are you doing?” She asked, "we can't leave him --"

“We should just leave him to cool down. He is upset,” Sangcheol said, “and I’m sure that he will be fine. I’ll text him later tonight just to make sure that he made it home.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung sighed as he continued walking down the sidewalk, passing through various shops that were still open. He was still reeling in the few minutes of the game, and the image of him missing the goal was still burning in his head. ‘Ugh...so embarrassing…’ He thought as he stopped in the middle of the sidewalk.

“Daeyoung?”

‘Hm?’ He looked over his shoulder, seeing that it was the man from the bookstore that he met, sitting down at a table just outside of a small eatery, “Mr. Jung Daejae?”

‘Who -- oh! Me! Right!’ “Y-You remember?” He asked, clearing his throat as he took off his black-rimmed glasses.

“With a name like that...I can’t really forget it...uh, what are you doing -- er…well, enjoying dinner I see.”

“Oh, I didn’t order yet. ‘Considering that I actually was at least ten steps ahead of you...thankfully you went on this street...even though we are in Himchan’s district, I know that this restaurant isn’t one of Himchan’s.’ “I see that you came from soccer?” He gestured the other’s uniform. ‘There is no way that any of his subordinates knows that we are here.’

“Huh? Oh,” Daeyoung looked down, “yeah...we had a game.”

“Win?” ‘Sorry Daeyoung...it’s okay...next game for sure…’

“No...we actually lost and it was my fault. I had a lousy shot. And I feel so humiliated about it...I could have tied the game and we could have had a chance in winning. My senior was hoping to win because he is graduating, but...we ended up losing. I feel like I let him down.” He sighed, lowering his head.

“Was he counting on you?”

“Er...well not really.”

Daehyun smiled, knowing that his son just wanted to do a good job and help his senior get that victory. “Daeyoung, it is okay...and I’m sure that your senior isn’t blaming you for the loss. Was he mad?”

“N-No…”

“And the reason might be is that he knows that you are trying your best. It is a game after all. All you can do is learn to improve and try your best in the next game.”

Daeyoung sighed; he was starting to wonder if he was acting childish and was just whining on something so trivial. ‘Of course there should be a winning team and a losing team. And I did have a bad aim…Byungwook was right on training on my shots…’ “You’re right…”

Daehyun chuckled, “but I do understand why you were upset. I’ve been there, but don’t forget to show good sportsmanship,” He gestured towards the seat in front of him, “care to have dinner? You must be hungry after the game.”

“Oh...uh, your not waiting for anyone? You’re eating alone?” He crossed his arms together, “what is a handsome guy like you eating by himself?” ‘Surely he is waiting for someone...I don’t want to impose…’

“Can a guy not eat by himself?”

“Then I should leave?”

“Ah...uh…,” Daehyun clicked his tongue, and gestured for the younger to sit and have dinner with him, “I’ll feed you...don’t worry. And I’m not waiting for anyone. I came by myself.”

Daeyoung blinked. His mother has always told him time and time again to never be with strangers. It was obviously common sense. However, being with the other made him feel warm and safe, and his conscience was telling him that it was okay. Most of all, it felt as if it was familiar. ‘Weird…’ Daeyoung thought, but took a seat in front of the other regardless.

“Order anything you want,” Daehyun said, passing the menu towards him, “don’t worry about the price.”

“Un…” As Daeyoung read over the menu, he took small glances at Daehyun, who was glancing over at his phone. The younger couldn’t help, but continue to look at how handsome and refined the other was. ‘Dressed so nice...he must have a good job? Business man maybe?’ He closed the menu. “I’m ready…”

“Hm?” Daehyun placed his phone on the table. “Oh, alright then.” He turned, getting the waiter’s attention. As he ordered, the waiter took notes and nodded towards the older. The waiter took the menu and started to head inside to give out the order. While waiting for their food to arrive, Daeyoung offered to chat. He just wanted to know more about ‘Jung Daejae’.

“What is this? Interrogation?” Daehyun laughed as Daeyoung shrugged. ‘Curious...but understandable.’ “Well, I am a...loan officer.” He said, thinking very wisely one his words, ‘loan shark sounds more like it.’

“Oh, so you just manage money. Er, well you just help businesses or people by loaning money to help them get started.” Daeyoung said, nodding in approval, ‘normal job, I guess.’ “When I first met you, I thought that you were really an idol. Handsome and cool like. I bet a lot of people flock over you because of your good looks.”

“Ah, haha. I am not someone from the entertainment industry. Though, I’m so busy with my job that I tend to focus more of my energy on that.” Daehyun said, smiling at the younger. “I don’t have time for that. Heck I’m not even married.” He mumbled.

“Wow...hard working man. Just like my mom.”

“Hm?”

“My mom is in the police force. Just like you, he is hardworking, but does have time to be with me. Just doesn’t have time to be with anyone else.”

‘No one, eh? Well...good for me.’

“Honestly, my mom is that type, I guess you could say, that would only love one person, and one person only. Which is my dad.” Daeyoung nodded, unknowing to him that he mindlessly said his words. He didn’t even realize Daehyun’s blushing expression.

‘Youngjae...n-never got with anyone after me...w-well, he didn’t marry anyone. Even his records show that he is still single...b-but for him to not be with anyone mean that he --’ “still love me?”

“Huh?” Daeyoung blinked, “what was that?”

“U-Uh, nothing! Nothing, er, I mean I didn’t say anything. Your...dad...”

“Oh...my dad passed away right after I was born. I didn’t know much about him,” he said with a shrug. He cleared his throat, “So,” he glanced at Daehyun’s hands, seeing no ring, “not married, huh? That for all the people who flock over you.”

“Okay, the idea of people flocking over me...doesn’t happen at all. You are complimenting me too much,” he glanced at his own hands, “and no...not married...anymore.” He said, ‘well, Youngjae and I weren’t legally married, but I do enjoy the idea that we were. We were secretly boyfriends after all…’

“Oh yeah?”

“U-Un,” he said softly, “we had...one son together.” Daehyun avoided his son’s gaze, still looking at their table. “And I haven’t seen him since he was born. He should be around…fourteen?”

‘Same age as me…’ “Whoa, I'm fourteen...really? You haven’t seen your son for fourteen years?” Daehyun nodded his head, his expression changed into a hurt one. Daeyoung thought it would be best to change the conversation before it turned into depression.

“Here you go gentlemen,” the waitress said, placing their food on the table, “and here you go.” Placing a plate in front of Daeyoung. “Enjoy.”

“Thank you,” Daehyun nodded the waitress. He turned to the younger, “enjoy.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Yeah...mom I’ll be fine.” Daeyoung sighed, “I know, but the trains are still running anyway. I’ll be okay.”

Daehyun waited for the younger to finish his call, hearing the furious Youngjae on the other line. He tightened his lips, not wanting to let out a smile. ‘Youngjae does act like a total mother.’ He glanced up at Daeyoung, who was rolling his eyes like any other teenager would. ‘Listen to your mother, Daeyoung...he is your mother...listen to him.’ He thought, ‘though...seriously...to Daeyoung, I am no one, but a stranger to him. He shouldn’t even talking to me…Daeyoung is that trusting?’

“I know mom,” Daeyoung leaned back in his seat, “I’ll get going now then...where are you? At work?” He blinked, “still? Ugh...okay then. Yeah...yeah, okay mom...love you too.” Daeyoung glanced at his phone, hitting ‘end’. “Hm, well, I have to get home. Mom very pissed at me for not calling him. I didn’t even feel the phone vibrate in my pocket...”

“You should have in the first place...at least let him know where you are going.” Daehyun said.

“Hm...acting like a dad all of a sudden.” Daeyoung leaned over and grabbed his backpack, “I should get going to catch the train before it shuts down for the night.”

“I can give you a ride if you want.”

“Hm? Really?”

“Of course...you said in the Secho district, yeah?”

“Uh…” ‘it should be ‘no thank you’...but…’ “it won’t be out of the way?”

“Not really...I live in the Secho district as well.”

“Oh yeah? Well, then thank you for the ride.”

Daehyun started to feel a bit troubled. “You trust people way or easily or what?”

“Hnn...not really...well, it is going to sound weird, but with you...you are very comforting. Kinda like a parent in a way. Plus, I don’t feel like I’m in sort of danger,” he swung his backpack over his shoulder, “besides, if you did anything, I would have kicked your .”

“Hey...language.” Daehyun said; he sighed, ‘does your mother know that you say ‘’, “lemme just call my driver.”

“Driver?”

Daehyun paused, before nodding his head, “Family driver. You could say that we are well off. I do have a big family. My parents passed away...so I’m in the care of my two older step-brothers. And I have two younger step-brothers.”

“No full blooded brothers?”

“Nope. Dad couldn’t keep his in place.”

“Pff --” Daeyoung covered his mouth, not wanting to laugh. “My bad…”

Daehyun shook his head, letting out a soft chuckle. “No worries. Now let's get you home.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Right here, Hyongjun...thank you.” Daehyun said towards his ‘driver’. “I’ll just bring him up to his apartment door. I shouldn’t be long.”

“Un.” Hyongjun nodded his head. He turned towards Daeyoung, very surprised to see that his boss was able to get close to his own son once again. “Have a good night.” He said towards Daeyoung.

“Thanks, you too.” Daeyoung smiled warmly at the other as he got out of the car with Daehyun following.

‘What...a nice kid.’ Hyongjun chuckled.

Daehyun and Daeyoung entered the apartment complex, passing the security guard when Daeyoung informed him that he was his guest. As they entered the elevator, Daeyoung pressed the tenth floor.

Daehyun let out a soft exhale, wondering and worrying that he might run into Youngjae, even though the younger did say that he would be in the office a bit longer. ‘Just the thought of seeing Youngjae,’ he pushed up his rimmed-glasses, ‘is filling me with excitement, yet a feeling of a panic attack. How is he going to react when he sees me. He is going to tell the police for sure that I’m alive...god this is such a risk!’ The elevator dinged and opened. Daeyoung stepped out, gesturing for Daehyun to come inside for tea. “Tea?”

“Just one cup...a thank you for buying dinner. It is at least I can do.”

Daehyun hesitated, but it was his son. ‘Just a little bit more…’ “Um, sure,” he stepped out of the elevator, ‘surely Youngjae is still at work.’

The younger beamed, before turning around to head to door 10E. With Daehyun following, his heart started to beat faster and faster. He watched as the younger placed his key in and turned the lock. “Come in, come in.” Daeyoung said, opening the door wider. He looked around, seeing that his mother’s shoes weren’t in. “Ah...looks like my mom isn’t here yet,” he looked over his shoulder at the older, “I’ll go make some tea, so make yourself at home.”

“O-On second thought…”

“Hu?”

“U-Uh...nothing. Thank you for the tea.”

Daeyoung smiled, nodding his head. As Daehyun stepped inside, the younger closed the door, dropping his backpack on the floor to get the tea ready. “It will be very quick.”

“Un.” He watched at Daeyoung made his way into the kitchen, hearing him opening cabinets to get a cup. Feeling awkward, he asked Daeyoung if he could use their washroom.

“Sure. Second door to the right is the washroom.”

Daehyun quickly made his way to the washroom, locking the door. ‘Calm down...Youngjae isn’t coming home anytime soon,’ he thought as he gripped the sink, ‘okay...just drink the tea and get out. ASAP.’ He glanced up, looking at himself in the mirror, ‘though...it would be great to see Youngjae again.’ “Even if it is just a hug.” He whispered, “As if that is going to happen.” Daehyun shook his head, letting out a weak chuckle. “What am I even thinking.” He let out a soft sigh. ‘Well, I should get out. Daeyoung might be done with the tea.’

Daehyun washed his hands before heading out. He closed the door, pushing up his glasses as he did. As he walked down the hallway and about to turn at the corner, he bumped into the younger. “Oh!” Daeyoung apologized, “my bad. My mom just got home.”

‘What?!’

“I told him about you and that you are here.”

‘Oh, holy !! , what am I going to do?!’ “Ah, I should leave then --”

“Nonsense. I told my mom that you fed me and brought me home.” ‘Though he wasn’t happy about it at all that I brought some random stranger home.’ “Anyway, I’m just going to change really quick out of my soccer uniform, but help yourself to the tea.”

Before Daehyun could even respond, Daeyoung started to head over to his room, closing the door behind him. ‘Oh ,’ Daehyun thought, feeling anxious. Youngjae was right there. Once he turns right at the corner, he would face Youngjae. His heart began to beat as he took a step forward, but quickly stepped back. ‘I don’t know if I can do it…’ Daehyun had to think. A lot would be on the line. If he is seen, he would jeopardize the mafia and once again they would be put back in jail, on death row. ‘This time...we probably won’t be in devil’s good graces...we will die for sure.’

Though, given a second chance in life, he was able to see his son. And knowing that he was healthy and on a good path, he was content. He looked across from him, seeing the door. Daehyun needed to get out. Just to make sure, he peeked at the corner, seeing the back of Youngjae, in the flesh. Daehyun let out a small smile; he loved Youngjae, even if he was an undercover policeman, he still loved him.

Daehyun stood up straight, thinking it was best to head out now while Youngjae’s back was turned. He took a deep breath and quickly made his way to the front door.

However, it ended up being the wrong timing.

A drop of a cup smashed on the wooden floor. Shards exploding over and the warm tea now wasted.

Daehyun, instead of running out toward the door, stopped and turned his head towards the source of the noise. His eyes locked with Youngjae’s, widen in shock. “Y-Youngjae…” He whispered. He froze in place, unsure what to do. Bolt towards the door? Stay still? Too scared to even move, yet Youngjae knew exactly what to do.

Closing his eyes, he started to think that Youngjae would call the police. He braced himself to be caught and mentally saying his sorries to Yongguk and the others. Instead he felt a warm embrace. He peeked through his eyelashes, seeing that it was Youngjae, shaking as he continued to hug him tightly. ‘Y-Youngjae?’ He hesitated in returning the embrace, but he couldn’t hold it any longer. Daehyun hugged the other tightly, placing his hand on the back of Youngjae’s head. He missed everything. Youngjae’s touch, his scent, and his warmth. “I-I --”

“Daehyun, I’m sorry.”

‘Huh?’ Daehyun blinked, pulling back a bit see his Youngjae’s teary eyes. “Wh-What did you -- why are you sorry?”

“It is my fault,” Youngjae mumbled against Daehyun’s shoulder, “It’s my fault that you and everyone got arrested. I didn’t want to...b-but I had to a-and you were put in j-jail -- I’m sorry.” He gripped Daehyun’s lapel tightly, and Daehyun continued to be silent, “y-you’re mad right --”

‘W-what is happening? I-I...is this real? He is actually happy to see me?!’ “I’m not,” Daehyun hugged Youngjae tighter, “it was your job, Youngjae. It is understandable. Shocked, of course, but...it was your job,” he nuzzled against Youngjae’s head, “I’m just glad that you and Daeyoung are safe and healthy. You are doing really well in raising him.”

Youngjae pulled his head, taking in that Daehyun was in front of him. He was breathing like he was, well and alive. To even make sure, he placed his hand over the other’s heart, causing Daehyun to blush. And he was real as he was. Youngjae smiled warmly that made the other’s heart beat. “I’m not dreaming am I?” Youngjae said as he leaned close to give Daehyun a kiss.

“Mom!”

Daehyun’s eyes widen and pulled Youngaje off from him, which shocked the other. They turned to see Daeyoung preoccupied and frustrated as he tried to remove some grass stains that were on his soccer uniform. He looked up, showing his mom the stain. “It’s not coming out…” He showed his stain remover pen, “I think it is empty.”

‘So he didn’t see.’ Daehyun thought, a bit relieved. As much as he wanted to tell Daeyoung that he was his father, he didn’t want to reveal the other part of him. The mafia side of him.

“Are you leaving?” Daeyoung asked, “did you drink -- oh , what happened?” He said seeing the broken cup on the ground.

“Daeyoung, language.” Both Daehyun and Youngjae said in unison, causing the younger to be taken back at the synchronized comment.

“Wow.” Daeyoung chuckled, “amazing. For a second there...it was like a mom and dad thing.” He made his way over to the kitchen to clean up the mess. Youngjae turned towards the other and gave a soft smile. He then turned towards Daeyoung, saying to him that he needed to tell him something very important. “Hm? What is it?” He asked, his attention still on wiping the tea with a towel.

Just as Youngjae was about to say that Daehyun was his father, Daehyun grabbed the other by the hand. “Hu?” Youngjae raised his eyebrow at the other, confused, but Daehyun pleaded with him to not say anything. He pleaded with his eyes, giving small shakes of his head.

‘I can’t let Daeyoung know...I don’t want him to know.’ Daehyun thought.

“Well?” Daeyoung said, standing up and placing the towel on the table. “What is it? Mom?”

“Uh...he…,” he gestured towards Daehyun, “he is an old college friend of mine.”

“Huh? You know him?”

“Yes, he was a year ahead of me in college.”

Daeyoung, confused, glanced over at Daehyun and then back to his mother. “Really? Huh...small world then.”

Youngjae nodded, letting out a smile. “Yes, he was a good friend of mine. Very close.”

“Well...that’s...cool.” Daeyoung said, still with a bemused expression. To change the subject, Youngjae decided to make pour another cup for the other.

“It was my fault after all…” He said, grabbing a cup from the cabinet and pouring the still warm tea. He turned towards Daehyun, gesturing for him to come over. Daehyun did just that, taking a seat that Daeyoung offered him.

Once the tea was served, the trio started to talk, Youngjae and Daehyun making things up to make Daeyoung believe that they were old college friends. How they were in the same dorm room, taking the same classes, to even how they disliked each other when they first met. Before they knew it, it was already getting late, and Daeyoung was feeling his eyelids betray him. He rubbed them, trying his best to keep awake. Youngjae chuckled; he reached over and brushed his son’s hair back. “Why don’t you go ahead and sleep? Tomorrow is a school day.”

“Hn,” Daeyoung groaned, “and I still have homework, ugh.” he laid his head on the table. He turned his head towards his mother, asking if he could skip school tomorrow. However, he knew that his mother would never agree to a request such as that. Daeyoung got up, excusing himself from the table. “Well...off to do homework,” he said, saluting to both adults, “have a good night...and thanks again for dinner.” He nodded his head towards Daehyun.

“It was nothing.” Daeyoung then excused himself and started to head towards his room. As the door closed, Youngjae turned to the other, a bit upset. “W-What?”

“Why can’t we tell him?” He asked.

Daehyun sighed; he shook his head ‘no’, “I don’t want Daeyoung to know.”

“But why?”

“Youngjae, no. I don’t want him to know about the mafia,” he placed his hand on top of the other’s, “Don’t you think it is a bad idea? He will know...that his father is one of the underbosses in Korea’s most dangerous mafia groups. And not to mention, we are suppose to be dead remember?”

Hearing the word ‘dead’ reminded Youngjae that, yes, the Hellhounds are deceased. No records show them to be alive. Even if Daeyoung were to look them up in a public server, it will show that they were dead. “B-But, even then...he wouldn’t know about any of that. And I can make some up lie about you being dead. I mean, I thought you were!”

“Shh,” Daehyun placed his index finger against his own lips, “careful, Daeyoung might hear.”

“So...what are we going to do? I want to tell Daeyoung that you are his father. That you are alive.”

“I do too, but at the same time I don’t. He is going to ask questions...and for me, I would want to tell him everything. The truth...but I am so ashamed of myself in being in the mafia scene. It is not something to be proud of your father to be in.” Daehyun covered his face with his hands, “I already feel horrible in lying to Daeyoung. To him, I am nothing, but a random stranger.”

“Huh?”

‘Well, secret is out now…’ “I...among Yongguk, Himchan, Jongup, and Junhong...we are in charge of the twenty-five districts in Seoul. Yongguk watches Seoul as a whole and Gangnam, while Himchan, Jongup, Junhong, and I, we each watch over six districts and Seocho is the district that I oversee --”

“Wait...hold on...the mafia is still...active?” Youngjae asked, furrowing his brow as he leaned in closer, “are they?”

Daehyun tighten his lips before he spoke, “I swear to you that I am breaking code here,” he let out a weak chuckle, “but yes. The Hellhounds...all of them, are alive and well. Lets just say that people are very loyal to Yongguk. Very loyal.” Daehyun proceeded to inform the other how the mafia now works. With many subordinates working on the surface doing their trading and message passing, the Hellhounds were underground giving commands. “That resturant...HH’s Bar Restaurant is one of the many bases that are under my command. We also have an App,” Daehyun reached out and grabbed his cellphone, showing Youngjae the HH App, “this is the mafia’s own app to use to track down...you know, whatever. It keeps records and information on people that the Yonnguk or any of us worked with, their families and friends, in case they ever decide to rat us out, at least we will have information to black mail them as well. In short, it was like having an eye in the sky. Though, the lead developer altered mine and my lieutenant's...to also keep an eye on you and Daeyoung.”

“An eye on us? Spying?”

“To make sure that you two are okay. Look,” he said, putting his phone on the table, “when I found out that you and Daeyoung came back to Seoul and to be in my district...I was so excited. I immediately told my subordinates only to watch over you guys...to make sure that you two are okay. I don’t want any of the other mafia members to give you any trouble.”

Youngjae raised his eyebrow, ‘So, he was watching us from afar…’ “You have all of Seocho in your control?”

“Un.” He nodded.

“You know that I am a cop, right? We can deal you know. I mean, he has me...and Daeyoung is a smart boy. He would never do anything that would jeopardize his safety.”

“Ah, that was before, but I was worried. Especially Daeyoung...I mean our son is pretty thin and short...and good looking. I wonder where he got it from,” he gestured his own face, “hm?”

Youngjae rolled his eyes before letting out a small chuckle, “Obviously not you…”

“Hm?!”

“Yeah, yeah...he is your mini-me.”

“He got your sarcasm for sure.”

The two smiled, laughing softly; it has been a good fourteen years since they had time together. Youngjae leaned over hugging the other tightly once more. “Okay...we won’t tell him…,” he said a bit dejected, “but I am not happy with the decision.”

“I know, but it is safer that way. Besides...I don’t even think Daeyoung will welcome me with open arms if he knew that his father is an underboss of Hellhounds,” he sighed, “plus, I don’t want any of the others to know about me speaking with you.”

“Why?”

“Because they know. They know that you are here...and it is all Jongup’s fault. They now know about Daeyoung as well...and I’m scared that they might show interest in him.”

“Why would they want Daeyoung?”

“Because for his age...he is incredibly smart. They can force him to hack into systems, manage transactions...I don’t know. But he would be a great asset for the mafia...and that is something I don’t want. I don’t want them to find Daeyoung, I don’t want them to recruit him...I especially don’t want him to be following me.” He said, tightening the palm of his hand in a ball, “I would do everything in my power to make sure that Daeyoung won’t be taken away…”

All the while, Daeyoung felt himself shaking; his lips covered with his hand trying his best not to make a sound. He came back out to grab his cell phone that he forgot on the kitchen table, only to overhear the two are not college friends, but the other is actually his father. ‘I-I don’t believe this!’ He pushed himself off from the wall, rushing back, stealthy as possible, to his room. He closed the door was gently and leaned up against it. He started to slide down, now sitting on the floor and trying to process what he overheard. “T-That can’t b-be...” He said in a whisper tone, “h-he is my dad? The Hellhounds? What is this?”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Next morning, Daehyun stayed over at Youngjae and Daeyoung’s apartment, considering it was very late, and Youngjae insisted to sleep over. Daehyun was about to decline, but the other still insisted. He just wanted to spend more time with the other. He informed Hyongjun about his stay, and his captain wished him to be safe. Daehyun stayed on the couch, sleeping soundly, while Daeyoung stood over him.

Hearing soft snores coming from the man that is his father, Daeyoung was unsure what to call him now. Dad? Mr. Jung? ‘His name isn’t even Daejae…’ He frowned, ‘I was lied to...but he did it for a reason...and he is part of the mafia. This is like some sort of movie plot...is this even real? And this Jongup guy knows about me and told the others.’ He felt himself swallow a lump in his throat. ‘I should be fine? Right...I mean, nothing has happened.’ He let out a sigh as he continued to stare at Daehyun. ‘How should I act towards him now?’

Daeyoung jumped in place when Daehyun snored loudly, turning away from the younger. “Jeez...he snores loudly,” he whispered to himself. He slowly grabbed the blanket that fell on the floor, draping it over the other. Daehyun stirred and slowly turned to be faced with the other. He blinked.

“D-Daeyoung?” He quickly sat up, still in a daze from just waking up, “ah…,” ‘oh ...how am I going to explain what I am here?!’ “Uh...so…”

“I know.” Daeyoung said bluntly as he adjusted his backpack.

“Huh?”

“Oh, Daeyoung,” the two looked over, seeing that Youngjae also woke up, “you’re up early...and even dressed for school.” He said, amazed. He turned to Daehyun, remembering that he asked him to stay over, “ah, it was getting late and I insisted for him to stay over.”

‘I hope this driver was okay with this...did he sleep in the car or actually leave?’ Daeyoung thought.

“Why are you up so early?”

“I...couldn’t sleep.” Daeyoung replied, “I had a lot in my mind last night.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah...um,” Daeyoung took in a deep breath, ‘I should just let them know. What is even the point to be quiet about this?’ “I...uh, know.”

“Know? Know what?” Youngjae asked.

He gestured over to Daehyun; he looked at him with an apathetic expression. “He is my dad. Isn’t he?”

Daehyun and Youngjae widen their eyes, both unsure on how to respond to Daeyoung’s comment. Daehyun himself could feel himself in a panic. He was about to speak, to explain himself, but Daeyoung raised his hand to stop him. “It’s fine...there is no need to explain yourself.”

“Huh?” Daehyun was taken back at the comment, and unsure how to respond. Daeyoung started to head towards the front door, opening it. He looked over his shoulder.

“After thinking, I...kinda understand...why you didn’t say anything to me before, I mean. And you clearly knew who I was.” He said. “You should have said something to me.”

Daehyun shook his head. “Would you even believe me?”

“Hm...touché.” He said, now stepping out, “don’t leave though.”

“Hm?” Surprised at the request, Daehyun asked why.

Daeyoung gestured to his mother, “well, first of all, my mom is very happy,” he said, letting out a soft smile, “so you are the ever famous first love that my mom was talking so highly about.” With that, Daehyun’s cheeks started to turn rosy, “Honestly, now really lookin at you, we do look alike.” He checked his cellphone seeing that he is going to be running late if he doesn’t get moving. He turned towards Daehyun once more. “It has been fourteen years, so I would like to learn more about you and I want to know more about your line of work...if you are okay with that.” Daehyun widen his eyes a bit, shocked once again at his son’s comment. He nodded his head ‘yes’, which made Daeyoung smile. “Great...then I’ll be off.” He said, nodding his head to both his parents. As the door shut, Daehyun’s jaw dropped. He turned to Youngjae.

“Our son is so...forgiving!!”

Youngjae raised his eyebrow, “huh? But did you hear what he said?!”

“I did! But...but he is not angry or showing any signs of disgust towards me! Has he always been this indifferent?!”

With the roll of his eyes, Youngjae pinched the bridge of his nose, “look, Daehyun...you’re missing the...other...important thing here. Daeyoung wants to know more about you. Our son is willing to look passed the idea of you being in the mafia. He wants to know about your side of the story.”

“O-Oh...I...but --”

“Our son is giving you an opportunity to tell him.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung was very quiet, not really paying attention to class or even interacting with his friends during break or even lunch. It was a free period for him and Daeyoung decided to head towards the library to study. However, instead of focusing, his mind was really thinking about his father. Daeyoung tapped his pencil against his paper of his unanswered questions from his assignments. ‘I just didn’t think that something like this would happen to me,’ he thought, ‘I mean the mafia? Hellhounds? And mom’s first love ended up being a bad guy.’ He raised his eyebrow at the thought. ‘Does that mean mom liked bad boys back then? Wow.’

“Oh? Daeyoung,” Sangcheol approached the seat across from Daeyoung, “studying I see. How are you? You were gloomy this morning...we were getting worried that it might have been from the game last night.”

“Oh...n-no, that is not it.”

“And you didn’t text me back.” He said, crossing his arms, “I was getting worried.”

“Ah...s-sorry. I did read it though.”

A sigh escaped from Sangcheol’s lips, “well...it is okay. So, feeling better now?”

“Hm,” he shrugged, “I guess. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“Yea? About the game?”

“Not about soccer. It is about something else. Family related.”

“Oh, I see. Well, I can’t really help you there. I don’t like to meddle with family affairs. Whatever it is, I hope it can be solved.” Sangcheol said.

“Hm, thanks,” he said, closing his notebook, forgetting that he had his questions written down, “I’ll know more about it later tonight.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung started to walk down the city streets, heading to the subway station. He had his notebook in his hands, looking over the reminder notes that he made for himself to ask his father. ‘He is still at the apartment...right? He wouldn’t leave...I mean...he looked pretty startled when I asked him not to leave and that I wanted to know more about him. Plus, mom loves him and he loves mom...so,’ he closed his notebook, squinting his eyes, “if he hurts mom, I would be so pissed that he would have to deal with me.” He mumbled to himself. “He better -- ack!”

He bumped shoulders with a stranger, and immediately the items the other was holding dropped on the concrete floor. Daeyoung quickly bent down, picking up the fallen items. “I-I’m so sorry.” He said, picking them up the random items that fell.

“Oh, it’s no problem.”

Daeyoung looked up, only see that the stranger stared at him, sending a shiver down his spine. The stranger smiled, but it was an eerie type of smile. Even through his rounded, spectacles, his eyes formed into perfect, crescent shapes as he continued to smile at the younger. ‘W-Weirdo...‘ “Um,” he shook his head, “I-I apologize. I wasn’t looking where I was going,” he picked up some papers, “I hope that I didn’t ruin anything…”

“It’s fine.” He flipped through the paper, nodding his head, “everything here is fine.” He stood up, with Daeyoung following his action, “be more mindful, okay?”

“Un.” He nodded his head, “I will.”

With that, the stranger smiled once more. Daeyoung took his leave, quickly picking up his steps. The stranger watched as Daeyoung disappeared in the sea of the crowd. He turned and started to walk down his path, tucking the paper under his arms. ‘Hee,’ the stranger thought, ‘he looks so much like Daehyun it is disgusting!’

The stranger’s phone rang, “Yo.”

“Jongup, where the you at?”

Jongup frowned, “that is so not nice coming from you, Junhong. So rude!” He said, tossing the fake papers that he carried with him in the nearby recycling trash bin, “what do you want?”

“Hmpt, Boss is wants to speak with you.”

“About?” He asked, curious as to what Yongguk wanted. It was fairly rare for him to speak with the members other than the meeting that is held every month. For him to be asking for him was also strange.

“Just business,” Junhong said, “where are you anyway?”

“Seocho.”

“Eh? What are you doing in Seocho?”

“Strolling. Look, I’ll be there in five.”

Junhong bit the inside of his cheek, but nodded his head. “Fine.” Jongup hung up, placing his phone in his back pocket. He adjusted his beanie, before crossing the street and blending in with the citizens. He started to hum in happiness.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung fumbled with his keys in trying to open the apartment door, softly cursing at himself as he dropped them. The door opened, and Daeyoung looked up, seeing that it was Daehyun who opened the door. ‘H-He is still here.’

“Daeyoung.” Daehyun said, a bit surprised, “I heard something outside, but I guess it was you...are you okay? Why do you look like you are out of breath? Did you run here?”

“I...did,” Daeyoung said, picking up his key and placing it in his pocket, “because I thought you left.”

“You asked me not to leave,” he said, giving a soft smile, “I wouldn’t deny such a request. I mean, even now since you know.” He said, move to the side to let Daeyoung in, “your mother is still at --”

“Work.”

“ -- work. Ah, right...right.” He closed the door, “um, how was school?”

“Good,” Daeyoung said, placing his backpack on the couch. He shrugged, “not a bad day or a good day.”

“Is that right? Oh, and I, uh, well...I’m not the best when it comes to cooking. But I made sandwiches since they are simple.”

‘Oh?’ “Uh, thanks.” Daeyoung started to feel awkward, now knowing that the man in front of him is actually his father. He had the day to process it, but still, deep down he is still wondering if this whole thing was a joke. ‘But seeing mom being so happy, especially when he looked at him...it is definitely true. My dad...an underboss...still unreal.’

“You said that you want to know more about me and I’m sure the mafia as well.”

“Un.”

“Then, let’s head to the kitchen. I’ll tell you what you would like to know while you eat.” Daeyoung nodded and followed his father, carrying his notebook with him. Daehyun took notice, “You’re going to take notes?” He pointed at the notebook.

“No, it is just...I wrote a lot of questions. You have to agree that this is so bizarre. I mean, the mafia? The mafia is still active in what they do? Really?”

“Believe it or not, the mafia scene is very much active to this day. Not only here in Korea, but in the States, Italy, Japan...this is not a joke, Daeyoung. The mafia is very much active as it was back then,” Daehyun took his seat, while the younger did the same; he continued, “The Hellhounds are the most notorious group in all of Asia. It was small when it was founded...consisting of just a few members. By that, I mean it was me with four members.”

“So total of five...really?” Daeyoung raised his eyebrow, unconvinced, “I was thinking...more of like...the founder is the father of your boss and they have a whole bunch of people working for him and it was passed down...you know all of that?”

Daehyun blinked, “I’m guessing’ you watch a lot of mafia films?”

“N-No...it’s just...common sense, yes? I mean, five people. Five people that became the notorious mafia group in Asia? How can five people really have millions of people under their control?”

He shook his head, “It may be different, but this is how it worked for us. It is all thanks to my boss. Bang Yongguk.”

Upon hearing the name, Daeyoung felt a chill shiver down his spine. They way his father spoke of his boss made him feel uneasy. He described  him to be a ruthless man, that even his underbosses feared him to an extent. He had many swore their loyalty to the Hellhounds, ranging from diplomats to respected politicians to businessmen and officers of the law. To feed their vices in exchange for loyalty and security. If any that were to be found as traitors, they would pay the price of death. Yongguk had a lot of powerful figures in the palm of his hands, even now despite the fact that he is considered to be dead, along with the others. “But because of loyalty...we were able to escape our execution. We continued our crimes, but working underground while our captains and subordinates work on the surface. You see, Yongguk is smart. He likes to plan things in such ways that he makes sure that the Hellhounds would not get humiliated again.”

“Again -- oh, wait...mom, right?”

Daehyun nodded his head. “Correct. The humiliation...when your mother caught us. Finally caught us and turned the Hellhounds in. I was so shocked...I mean, your mom and I at that time, we were getting along and I didn’t think that your mom was someone that was working in the police force. He was good...he had everyone fooled. Even though I was hurt, I think Yongguk was the one that was hurt the most. He treasured your mother a lot...” He paused, pondering a bit before he spoke, “now that I think about it, I hope that he saw your mother as a beloved younger brother and not romantically…”

“Eh? Romantically? Wow...that would mean that I would have mean a mafia baby.”

The older chuckled, “true, but I’m glad that you’re my kid.” He shook his head, “being in the mafia is more of a curse. You can’t live a normal life...and I’ll make sure that the others won’t take you.”

“Now that you mention it...I heard you and mom talking and you said something about the mafia wanting me,” Daeyoung was confused as to why they would want him, “why would they want me? Look at me...I’m an ordinary fourteen year old.”

“They are very interested in your academic ability. They were able to look into you more...and seeing that you are gifted in all subjects, they see you as an asset to the mafia. If I know them well, they will force you in learning various skills...but most importantly cybercrime...focusing on attacking computer systems." Daeyoung started to worry that Daehyun could see his son shaking. The younger has seen mafia films, and some members do kill their own if they are incompetent. He shook his head, trying to clear his mind. Daehyun continued. “You know that I will protect you no matter what.”

“H-Huh?”

“I’ll do everything in my power to make sure that you are safe...same goes for your mother,” he shook his head, sighing a bit, “the last thing I would want is you to be in something like this.” He let out a weak smile, “Your mother did so well in raising you and I’ll be damned if something happens to you. Thankfully, you are under my district, so underbosses and their captains and subordinates should not do anything to you.”

“R-Really?”

“Un,” Daehyun nodded, “That is how we split up Seoul and its districts. It goes against our codes. No acting on business on someone else's territory. For sure, and knowing them, we would never break our own rules.”

Feeling a bit at ease, Daeyoung relaxed a bit. ‘That is good to know that they can’t really touch me. Hm...now that I think about it...home and school are in Seocho.’ He glanced up at Daehyun seeing that he displayed an expression of comfort.

“Don’t worry, Daeyoung. I’m here. I’ll protect you and your mother.”

The younger blinked, but returned a smile. “Thanks, Dad.”

Daehyun widen his eyes, flushed and beet red as he turned his head away not wanting his son to see his reddened face. “Huh? A-Are you okay?” Daeyoung stood up from his seat, heading straight to the other, only to be stopped. Daehyun waved his hand, not wanting Daeyoung to come any closer.

“I-I’m okay...I just...I’m just really ha-happy.”

“Hu?” ‘About what?’

Daehyun patted his own cheeks, feeling the heat on them. “You called me dad. A-And I just felt so happy...it is my first time hearing you say it so…,” he looked up at the younger, letting out a toothy grin, “I didn’t actually expect you to say it.”

Daeyoung paused, realizing that he did say ‘dad’, but in a more casual tone. He didn’t think that he would say it so easily as well. Afterall, he was just learning more about his father and the mafia. “I-I didn’t realize it…” He placed his fingers against his lips, “It slipped.”

“O-Oh.” A bit dejected in knowing that is was just a slip, Daehyun told the younger that it would be okay to call him however he saw fit. “I just want you to be comfortable. I mean, Mr. Jung is fine by me.”

“Hm? No way,” he shook his head, “I’m still gonna call you dad.” Daeyoung placed his hands on his own hips, “you’re my dad no matter what.” He let out a reassuring smile, “I think that it is a good start. We lost a lot of time together...fourteen years is a long time.”

“R-Really?” Daehyun asked, still unconvinced, “Daeyoung...I don’t know...don’t you think that it would just be better if we would just end --”

“You can’t possibly think that you are going to leave me and mom. Are you?”

“Huh?”

“And just when mom is so happy.” he took his seat once again, “you just said that we are completely safe considering that we are in your district, so there should be no problem.”

“Yeah, but still --”

“Look, mom is happy with me...and he would be even more happy that you are here,” he sighed, “and you are going to leave me.” Daeyoung lowered his head, staring at the table, “that is unfair.”

Daehyun tightened his lips; he hated seeing his son being sad. It equally broke his own heart. He reached over, laying his hand over his son’s hand. “I’m not leaving. I’m just thinking of your future. I would want you to live a happy and normal life.”

“Dad, when you said that you are an underboss for the Hellhounds...my life isn’t normal anymore. You see that, right?”

“I...well...yeah. Yeah, you’re right.” Daehyun sighed, “you know, I had dreams as well.”

“What do you mean?”

“One of my dreams was to have a family,” he beamed, “your mother was able to give me that...it is just that...I ended up being in the position that I am in now. Ah,” he started to rub the back of his neck, “I wasn’t able to be there for any of your firsts...your first steps, words, going to school...did your mother give you ‘the talk’ yet?”

“Hu!?” Daeyoung blushed, “N-No!”

“Oh good! I can give you that talk.” ‘The first of something that I can do.’

“D-Dad, no...stop…”

“Eh?”

“Uh...a-anyway...can’t you leave?” Daeyoung asked, “it should be that simple...o-or maybe not. From the films, that I remember watching, they don’t really go for resignation and let you out like a free man.”

Daehyun nodded, “you’re right about that. I’m bound to the mafia. Until the day that I die.”

The door opened, and the two blinked in sync. “Mom is home.” Daeyoung said, standing up to clear the table. “That is unusual.”

Youngjae turned at the corner, peeking to see that it was Daehyun and Daeyoung. “Oh, so...you talked?” He asked as he approached the two.

“Un.” Daehyun nodded, “though, I feel like it is just the first part of the story.” He turned to the younger, “I’m sure you have more to ask me.” He gestured at his notebook. “Am I right?”

“O-Oh.” Daeyoung looked down at this notebook, before nodding his head. “Some more things to ask…”

“Eh? Really?”

“Yeah...and…”

“And?”

Daeyoung shrugged, letting out a soft chuckle. It caught both Daehyun and Youngjae off guard that the two glanced at each other. “I know that this weird, but I’m just...just happy that our family is complete.” He turned to head towards his mother, “I know...that I never showed it or cared...about knowing dad before, but honestly...deep down I wondered who he was and what kind of man he was.”

Youngjae was again caught off guard, “O-Oh...but you could have asked me then. I could have told you everything...more than what you asked me before.”

“I know.” He said, letting out a shrug, “but this changes everything. I know I should be wary, but as I said before,” he turned to Daehyun, “I feel at ease with you.”

Daehyun let out a small smile; he shook his head, “you are too susceptible. You aren’t like that with other people are you? This world is a dangerous place you know.”

“I know...but I was right, right?” Daeyoung let out a smirk, “so no problem.”

“I...guess, but still. Don’t be careless.” Daehyun stood up and approached the other, “Just be careful.”

Youngjae nodded in agreement. “He is right,” he patted Daeyoung on the shoulder, “I’ve told you many times not to interact with people that you don’t know.” Daeyoung rolled his eyes at the comment. “And don’t roll your eyes at me Jung Daeyoung. Do you understand? This...this, erm, well doesn’t count...he is your father.”

“I must have a good sense of judgement don’t you think?”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Months have passed and Daehyun would now and then stay at Youngjae and Daeyoung’s apartment. It gave the underboss the opportunity to hang out with his son and talk to him, even tell him more about the Hellhounds. A good way to fill in the fourteen years that were missed. Daeyoung, despite not showing it, really enjoyed his father’s presence.

“Is that really your homework?” Daehyun glanced, a bit surprised at his son’s assignments. He scratched his head, “this is not what I did back in school.”

“Eh?” Daeyoung looked down at his math equations, ‘but these are so easy...as long as you know the formula, all you need to do it just plug in the numbers.’ “Um, is it? Then what did you do when you were my age.”

“Hm...I…,” Daehyun blinked as he trailed off his words, “uh…honestly?”

“Well, yeah?”

“I was a pain to be with in my middle school days...hm, high school...I was the --”

“Playboy?!” Daeyoung’s jaw dropped, “how in the world did mom like you?”

Youngjae sighed, “how I ended up liking you is a true mystery.” He sipped his tea.

“W-What?! No! No, I was not a playboy!” Daehyun shook his head furiously, “that is not me!”

“Mm-hm,” Youngjae rolled his eyes, “whatever you say. You charmed your way to my pants.”

“But you let me!!”

“Okay...let's stop,” Daeyoung shivered at the thought of his parents, “anyway...back to what you were sayin’.”

Daehyun sighed, “In high school, I was just a quiet person. That is all. I tried to not to run into problems and keep myself out of the limelight, but low and behold, I ended up being in the mafia,” he rested his elbows on the table.

“But then...you met mom,” Daeyoung gestured to Youngjae, “so meeting and being with mom was destiny,” he beamed, “then I was born!”

Daehyun chuckled, “You like to see the light in things, huh? Afterall, you are right about that. I was able to meet your mom in that way. Hm, though I wish I still met your mom and not be in the mafia. I would rather live a normal life...and be one with society.” He sighed, glancing down at the table, “Sneaking around like this and being cautious.”

“Cautious?” Youngjae displayed a worried expression, but was assured by the other that everything should be okay. “But why cautious?”

“Hm...Jongup has been strange.” Daehyun bit the inside of his cheek, wondering if he should inform the two. In the end, he had to tell them, “He has been acting strange during our monthly meetings, and I know that it has something to do with me. Months ago, he exposed about our relationship and our son. With the Hellhounds knowing about you two, my guard has been up ever since.”

“But you said that we are okay, right? That they cannot do anything in your districts right?” Daeyoung asked, in which Daehyun nodded.

“But still. It is concerning. I trust them fully, but the thought of them betraying me and hurting you two...kills me.” ‘I’ll kill them if they ever hurt Youngjae and Daeyoung. I will kill them with my own hands.’ He displayed a warm and comforting smile, “I must be just overthinking things.”

“Isn’t the mafia like a family anyway? No way that family betrays each other.” Daeyoung said, shaking his head in the process. “That would be so messed up. Er, well...mom doesn't count though.”

Daehyun smiled, leaning over to ruffle his son’s black hair, “you really like to see the good in people huh?” He shook his head, “My advice would be...always keep a guard up, Daeyoung. People aren’t always nice.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daeyoung adjusted his bag as he started to head out of the school’s gates. ‘Man, three tests in one week,' he groaned, ‘so unfair.’ With a big sigh, he started to mentally complain his difficult courses. Not because they were hard, but they were starting to become tedious to do, and having multiple exams in one week, it just meant that he wouldn’t have time to be with his father.

As he waited to cross the street, he looked up at a billboard, showcasing BIG THREE’s new, idol boy group. He chuckled, ‘they look so good.’ He thought, as he continues to glance at his childhood friends, now rookie idols in the entertainment industry. Daeyoung clicked his tongue, ‘Damn...and one of my exams is on Friday! I won’t be able to see them at the fan signing!’ “Man...so unfair,” he pouted, “I wanted to surprise them too.”

The light turned green, indicating for the pedestrians to walk. Daeyoung mumbled to himself, complaining about his busy schedule.

Unknown to him that he was being followed.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Youngjae sat in his desk area, pausing here and there at his work. It was a strange sensation.

“Youngjae?”

He blinked; he looked up. “O-Oh, Eunjoo...yes?”

His co-worker displayed a worried expression on her face, “It’s just that...you would furrow your brow...and you had this look as if something was wrong.”

“I-I do?” He placed his hand on his own cheek, “I-I didn’t even think I would show that on my face…”

“Is something wrong?”

Youngjae could only give a shrug. He was unsure what the feeling was. “I can’t explain it...but it feels like something bad is going to happen…”

Eunjoo started to become alarmed. “Mother’s intuition.”

“Huh?”

“I know you have heard of it...mother’s intuition. It is like a sixth sense. It usually means that someone close to you is in danger.”

“Danger?” ‘Daeyoung?!’

“O-Or in need. But like I said, it is just intuition. A feeling.” Eunjoo stood up from her desk, leaning over to gather Youngjae’s papers, “you’ve been working so much, Youngjae, maybe you need to take a break. I’ll handle these and you head home.”

“I-I can’t do that Eunjoo...besides, you are almost done with your work…”

“Nonsense,” she waved her hand, “I don’t mind. Now that I have said what I have said...now I’m starting to question myself...you have a son, yeah?”

“Un.”

She nodded her head, “Maybe you need to head home. Your mother’s intuition is telling you something.”

‘Is she right?’ With a nod of his head, he thanked her and started to gather his things. “I swear Eunjoo, I’ll repay you.”

“With coffee!” She chuckled, “and with two scones and a danish from Cafe Wu!”

“You got it,” Youngjae smiled, “Thanks again.”

Eunjoo nodded as she watched Youngjae quickly leaving the police office. She sighed, “I hope everything will be okay...Youngjae loves his son so much.” She nodded, “everything will be okay.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Youngjae burst through the apartment door, yelling for his son, frantic and shaking.

“Christ, Youngjae,” Daehyun quickly exited from the kitchen and made it to the front door, “what’s wrong?!”

“D-Daeyoung?!”

“Daeyoung -- wha? He is taking a quick bath.”

“B-Bath?” Youngjae blinked; he relaxed himself, “Bath?”

Daehyun nodded, “jeez,” he placed his hand over his own heart, “you scared me...and you’re home early. What happened at work?”

“I-I...uh...I had a feeling…”

“Feeling?” Daehyun crossed his arms together. “About what?” He raised his eyebrow, concerned.

“My co-worker said that is was mother’s intuition...reason why I was acting weird all day at work. I thought something happened to Daeyoung.”

“Well...you don’t have to worry. He came home. He is just taking a quick bath before dinner.” He said, giving him an assuring smile, “good that you are home too.”

“Oh, mom? You’re home early!” Youngjae looked passed Daehyun, seeing his son coming over as he dried his hair with his towel. “This is rare.” He smiled at his mother, “but what a nice surprise.”

“Daeyoung was telling me that he has a lot of exams next week,” Daehyun said, “so I told him to relax first before studying.”

“It helped a lot for sure, but now I feel like I just want to laze around and sleep.” He chuckled. “Is dinner ready?”

“Almost,” Daehyun said, returning back to the kitchen, “just give me a few minutes. I’ll call when it is ready.”

“‘Kay!!” Daeyoung turned to his mother, “you okay?”

“Oh...um, yeah. I’m alright. Did you walk home...okay?”

“Uh...yeah? What do you mean by ‘okay’?”

Youngjae shook his head, “Oh you know...if things were okay walking home.”

“Erm, yeah? Everything was okay. No problems.” He smiled.

“Good.” Youngjae sighed, “I’m going to just sit on the couch and relax for a bit.” He said, heading over towards the couch. He leaned back in the seat, trying his best to ease the tension and worry. ‘So...it was nothing after all...I definitely feel bad for leaving my work load to Eunjoo.’ He brushed his hair back, ‘Well, Daeyoung is okay...that’s what matters right now.’

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Yo, Daeyoung!”

The said person turned, seeing Sangcheol and Youngtae walking towards him. “Oh, what’s up?”

“We are all heading to a local cafe to just chill. You wanna go?” Youngtae said, adjusting his backpack.

Daeyoung contemplated, but shook his head. “Sorry guys...I'll take a rain check. I just have a lot of things on my plate.” He rubbed the back of his neck, “Next time?”

“Of course.” Sangcheol said, eyeing the other, ‘He has been acting strange all day…’ “You okay?”

“Hm? What?”

“You okay? I mean, you’ve been acting strange all day.”

“Must be the exams?” Youngtae said, “Bitna has been complaining about them as well. I guess you have been feeling the pressure?”

Without hesitation, Daeyoung nodded. “Yeah. Well, not really...even though I enjoy studying...there is a limit of enjoyment I get.” He sighed, “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

“Okay.” Youngtae started to wave goodbye, “Be safe.”

Daeyoung nodded, returning the wave. He walked down the hallway, saying goodbye to his classmates as he exited. “Later.” He waved goodbye to one of his classmates. Once he approached the door, he picked up his pace, exiting the gates. He turned right on the sidewalk, heading to the main city streets. “I wonder if Mom will be home early tonight.” He mumbled to himself, “That was a big surprise to see him home that early, but then again I highly doubt he will be home early again.” He smiled warmly, “It was nice. It felt like we were a family for the first time. I feel so complete.”

Daeyoung glanced down, clicking his tongue when seeing his shoelaces were untied. ‘Jeez,’ he rolled his eyes, as he bent down, “Tedious...I want to get some velcro shoes. I don’t give a damn if they are cool or not, it would be much easier to slip on and off.”

“You are right about that.”

“Hu?!” Daeyoung looked up immediately, seeing that a stranger was looking down at him with a chilling smile. “U-Uh...pardon?”

The stranger pointed at his shoes, “about velcro shoes. I think they are much better than normal shoes.”

“Er...yeah…” Daeyoung slowly stood up, a bit cautious at the smiling stranger. He took a closer look, remembering that he has seen him before. ‘Wait...he was the one that dropped those papers --’

“You know, I’m so sorry for doing this.”

Daeyoung raised his eyebrow at the other, “What?”

“I just hate your mother, that is all. And your father is very stupid not to take care of him.” The stranger said, motioning a cut throat motion with his hand.

‘Wha -- Wait...mom? He said mom and dad?’ Daeyoung widen his eyes a bit, ‘He is --’ “Jongup…” He breathed out.

A curled smile formed on Jongup’s lip. “You know my name.” With swiftness, he reached over, grabbing Daeyoung before he could even run the opposite direction. He grabbed Daeyoung’s wrist, pulling him forward. “You really shouldn’t do that.” Jongup rolled his hand in a ball, hitting Daeyoung straight to his solar plexus.

The younger gasped, falling forward against Jongup. “Up and at ‘em,” Jongup adjusted the now unconscious Daeyoung in his arms, “oh dear…” He whistled, and on cue a black car from the opposite side of the road quickly drove by them. Jongup opened the door, almost tossing Daeyoung inside. “He is unconscious, but he should be fine. I’m sure I just surprised him.”

Jongup’s captain, Sim Mihee, nodded her head and pulled the younger inside the car. Jongup closed the door and opened the passenger’s door. He got in and instructed the driver to go. Mihee gently pushed Daeyoung to his side of the seat, adjusting him so that he would look like he was just sleeping. “Boss,” she said, placing a cap on Daeyoung’s head, “do you really think that this is a good idea? I mean...he is Daehyun’s son.”

Jongup looked over his shoulder with a piercing gaze. “Now why would I not think that this is a good idea?”

“But you know...you know that what we are doing is breaking the code of the Hellhounds. We trespassed Boss Daehyun’s district and literally took him.” she pointed at the younger, displaying a worried expression, “We are going to be in trouble.”

“You swore your allegiance to me, yes? You and my subordinates...yes?”

Mihee hesitated, but nodded. Afterall, she owned her life to Jongup after he took her in at a young age when she couldn’t rely on her own messed up parents. “I-I did.”

“I just want to lure that Youngjae and kill him off.” Jongup said with no hesitation in his voice. He was dead serious. “We put trust in him. Even I trusted him, and look what he did. He in’ ratted us out to the police. An undercover cop? Goddamn.” He shook his head, still frustrated after years have passed, “And he has been with us for four years…” He glanced over at Daeyoung, “just so unfortunate that he is also the son of Daehyun.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

Daehyun pursed his lips, glancing at the clock once again. He crossed his arms, confused as to why Daeyoung hasn’t come home yet. ‘This is unlike him...it’s getting late,’ he thought, rubbing the back of his neck as he paced in kitchen, ‘Youngjae said that he is always prompt when coming home and even diligent in texting him when he is coming home and when he gets home,’ “so why isn’t he here yet?”

Daehyun’s nerves started to rise. He took a seat, trying his best to calm himself. ‘Jeez...wait.’ His mind started to go back to Jongup and his suspicious attitude towards him and his son. ‘That can’t be...right?’ He furrowed his brow; his heart started to race again at the thought. ‘M-Maybe he went with his friends? Study group? But this is really late now.’ Daehyun glanced at the clock once again, seeing that it was close to five ‘till ten o’clock. ‘It’s getting --’

The sound of the door unlocking caught Daehyun attention. He stood up immediately and rushed towards the door, hoping that it was Daeyoung. “Dae --”

“Hm?”

Daehyun felt his worry rise even more. “Youngjae.”

“What?” Youngjae closed the door behind him, a bit surprised at the other’s attitude, “What? Did something happen?”

“Did Daeyoung message you?”

“Today? Um, yeah.”

‘Oh...thank god.’ Feeling a bit at ease.

Youngjae took off his shoes, placing them against the wall, “He just messaged me about a book that he thought that I had, but I told him ‘no’. I apparently gave it away two years ago as a donation for a local library.”

“Uh, I meant earlier...like where he is going to go after school?”

“Hm, no…?” Youngjae eyed the other, “What is going on?”

Daehyun hesitated, but if his speculations were correct, ‘It’s Jongup.’ He quickly grabbed his cellphone from his pocket and started to quickly dial a familiar number.

“Daehyun? What the hell is going on?” He asked, now concerned, “Hey, Daehyun --”

“Jongup.” Daehyun said, causing Youngjae to pause in his steps.

“Ah...Daehyun. What is it?”

Anger started to rise within. “Give him back to me.”

“Eh?”

“Give back my son you son of a ! I swear to god Jongup if you lay a finger on him --”

“Whoa...whoa, slow your roll, Daehyun. What is the problem?” Jongup asked, letting out a charming smile as he waved ‘hello’ towards the now awake and conscious Daeyoung, tied up and sitting on a chair across from him. He placed the phone on speaker, “Why are you getting all pissy about? Huh? Yelling at me like that…”

“Jongup!! Stop playing games with me!! Where is Daeyoung?!”

‘Dad!!’ “Hmm!!” Daeyoung hummed, hoping that his father would hear him, but was unsuccessful due to the cloth that covered his mouth. ‘Dad!’ He sent piercing glares at the underboss, only to have him smile sweetly at him. ‘Bastard!!’

Jongup sighed, “Well...if you want to know. He is with me. His caring uncle.”

Daehyun felt his heart pound; he was almost on the brink of breaking down. ‘Calm down...calm down,’ he assured himself, ‘Daeyoung’s life is on the line…’ “What do you want...besides...you know that Daeyoung has no beneficial qualities that would benefit the mafia. You know that already. Even Yongguk disregarded him already, so what do you want with my son?!”

“Ugh...you are giving me a headache.”

“Jongup!!” Daehyun was already raising his voice, “ing answer me!” He turned when he felt Youngjae grabbed his arm, worried about their son. Youngjae tightened his grip on Daehyun’s arm, pleading that he calm down so Jongup could give in the answer. Daehyun let out a shaky breath. Jongup chuckled.

“Hot headed I see. As always.” Jongup looked over his shoulder, staring at the younger. “But I will give you the answer. Yongsan district. You know where.”

“Wha --”

“Also, don’t forget,” He said while displaying a chilling smile on his face, “to bring Yoo Youngjae.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Go, Hyongjun. To Jongup’s warehouse.” Daehyun instructed as he quickly got in the car.

Youngjae picked up his pace, grabbing Daehyun’s arm, “Wait for me!”

“Are you crazy?” He jerked his arm away, “you know what he is going to do!”

“And do you think I care?! That is my son that psychopath has!” Youngjae quickly opened the door to the back of the seats, before slapping Daehyun’s hand away from pulling him out. “Do not touch me and don’t treat me like those people to stay back.”

“Y-You’re going to be in danger --”

“I wasn’t talking to you was I, Hyongjun. I’m the mother! And I’m not going to sit at home and wait!! Now go!!”

“Yessir!” Hyongjun quickly placed his car to drive and sped off to the main streets. “S-Should we inform the other underbosses? What about Boss Yongguk?” He glanced over at Daehyun, “Well?”

Daehyun gritted his teeth, contemplating if he should or not. Jongup betrayed him and, for sure, the mafia for stepping into his district, however, what if the other underbosses secretly wanted revenge for his betrayal. ‘This has to be a trap for sure,’ he thought, tightening his hand into a ball on his lap, ‘I-I can’t let Youngjae interfere. Something is up.’

“Daehyun? What do you suggest we do?” Hyongjun asked in concern, “We are only three people here...versus Jongup and his band of ten or even twenty armed subordinates. This will be suicide!”

‘He is right...Jongup isn’t stupid.’

“Besides, Jongup stepped his bounds...you have to notify the others about this. At least notify Yongguk.”

Daehyun glanced at his phone. ‘Hyongjun is right, but…what if they are lying?’

Hyongjun was getting annoyed at the other’s lack of response. He continued, “We should at least have our own band of twenty with us. Should I call?” He asked, reaching to press on his in-car bluetooth to inform the subordinates, however he was stopped by Daehyun.

“I’ll do it. I’ll call Yongguk.”

Youngjae widen his eyes; he tightened his hands together wondering if it was a good idea or not. “D-Dae --”

“I have to plead for his help…”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“You look so much like Daehyun.” Jongup tilted his head, really taking a good look at the younger. “So you got Daehyun’s good looks...and the smarts of Youngjae.”

“Yeah...so what?”

“Hm...don’t you find it interesting that your father is a bad man? And your mother is, well, basically the goody-two shoes by being in the police force. Hm, you must know that your mother betrayed us, right?” Daeyoung continued to give the other a piercing gaze, not wanting to answer. Jongup continued. “We treated your mother like family. He was like an older brother to me, as cliche as it sounds.” He reached in his pocket, and with pristine action, unfolded his fan knife. The action immediately caught the younger’s attention.

“.” Daeyoung said under his breath. It made Jongup smile.

“Don’t worry...I’m not going to do anything to you. You are not even close on my radar.”

“Huh?”

“Your mother,” he pointed the blade at him, “is going to meet his end...here tonight.”

‘No way…’ “You hate my mom so much that you want him dead?!”

“Of course! This is about the betrayal that he has done. Is this how you treat family?”

Daeyoung hesitated in responding. ‘Mom was doing a job.’ “Just look at yourself…’how you treat family’ you say...but what you are doing is hurting my dad. Isn’t he your family? All you can think about is revenge.”

Jongup grinned, “I have the desire to kill him for his act of disloyalty.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“This is it.” Daehyun said, getting out of the car. He stood in front of a large warehouse, just as he was instructed. He rubbed the back of his neck, feeling ill about going in. ‘There is no way that I’m bringing Youngjae with me. I’m not that stupid.’ “Youngjae just stay in the car --”

“Don’t tell me what to do.” Youngjae said as he started to walk passed Daehyun. He stopped in his tracks and turned to face him. “You said that we were safe.” He said, tightening his lips. “I don’t know what I'd do if I lose him...I don’t think I can live if something happens to Daeyoung.” Youngjae shook his head, before heading up towards the doors of the warehouse.

“Youngjae -- Hey, hey! Hey!” He reached over and grabbed Youngjae by the wrist. “What the ?!”

“What? I’m heading in.”

“Wha? You can’t be that stupid.” He gestured towards the warehouse. “You think that Jongup is there by himself? Huh?! He is in there with an armed army for sure. They are going to gun us.”

“He is right.” Hyongjun nodded as he closed the door. “I mean you’re a cop, aren't you? You know that goin’ in head first is dangerous.”

Youngjae turned to face Daehyun; he pointed at the warehouse. “Our son is in there.” He said in a whisper. His eyes glassy as he tried to hold in his tears. “Who knows what they are doing to him. And I don’t want to just stand here. This right here. Just waiting is killing me.”

“I know. I know that.” Daehyun said, trying his best to calm him. “But we have to think of a strategy and how to go about this. Look, I already informed Yongguk about this --”

“So?” He jerked his hand away.

Right on cue, three jet black cars pulled up right behind Hyongjun’s car. Daehyun shielded his eyes from the cars’ lights. He felt himself calm down, knowing that it was Yongguk, Himchan, and Junhong with their captains and subordinates. As the door opened, only the Boss of the Hellhounds stepped out dressed in a black suit with his hair slicked black. He grabbed a pack of Raison Black. Behind him were Himchan and Junhong; they locked eyes with Youngjae, unsure how to even express themselves to each other.

“Well, well. This is quite a reunion.” Yongguk said, exhaling out smoke. “I never would have thought that Daehyun would have called me. Considering that this has nothing to do with me or any of them.” He said, gesturing Himchan and Junhong. “But...Daehyun is family.” He turned towards the other, a gaze enough to send a shiver down Youngjae’s spine, “And I would never turn my back against a family member in need. You are indeed lucky Yoo Youngjae. It is because of Daehyun we are helping out.”

“I...I-I understand. I j-just...I just want our son s-safe.” Youngjae said in a shaking tone. His breathing started to become erratic and his anxiety started to rise. “I just want Daeyoung safe.” He made his way over to Yongguk, grabbing the lapels of his suit tightly. “I am begging you to help our son...please.”

Yongguk could only look at the frantic officer, uninterested to his cry for help. He gently reached over to Youngjae’s wrist. “As I said before. I am doing this for Daehyun. Not you. You are not part of this family.” He walked passed Youngjae, with Himchan and Junhong behind him.

Youngjae bit the inside of his cheek. He let out a shaky exhale before turning around. He watched as Yongguk and Daehyun formed a plan to rescue their son. ‘What a turn of events…’ He thought to himself as he is now at the mercy of the men that he turned in to the police all those years ago. ‘As long as Daeyoung is safe.’

“Alright. You all know the plan.” Yongguk said as he glanced over at Youngjae, “I didn’t bring any of our subordinates... we probably don’t need to use them. This problem shouldn’t be a big mess anyway. Hyongjun and the other drivers will be sent off. I don’t want them to be caught by his subordinates,” He said to Youngjae as he approached him, “Jongup made a big mistake to go up against me.”

“U-Un.” Youngjae nodded, “Th-Thank you...Yongguk.”

Apathetic to his thanks, Yongguk ignored him. “Let’s go.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“You think that mommy will come and save you?” Jongup asked while leaning back against the metal table. Daeyoung turned a deaf ear to Jongup’s question. “Hm. So unresponsive...well, whatever. It doesn’t really matter. I’m sure that they won’t refuse my request. As I said, all I want is your mother’s head on a platter. A payback for turning his back on us. Revenge is truly the best medicine.”

“It’s not...and you know it. Stop saying that,” Daeyoung said, “killing my mom won’t do anything --”

“Of course it won’t do anything. It can’t change what has happened to me or to the mafia.” Jongup said, pushing himself off of the metal table and approaching the younger. “Don’t be stupid. I want to feel the pleasure of him begging for his life...and before he knows it,” he leaned in close, just inches away from Daeyoung’s face, “I’ll stab him repeatedly. Once he is dead, then...then I’ll be happy.”

Daeyoung tried his best not to express fear, but it was difficult not to. Alone with Jongup made him even more alert and the crazed look on Jongup’s eyes were enough to make him shut his mouth. Daeyoung averted his eyes, making Jongup smile.

A loud bang of the warehouse metal doors opened, causing Daeyoung to jump in his place.

“Moon Jongup!!”

Daeyoung quickly lifted his head upon hearing the voice. ‘Dad?!’ He turned his head seeing that it was his father with three other men behind him. He squinted his eyes, unsure who they were. However, for Jongup, he clicked his tongue upon seeing them.

“Why am I not surprised.” Jongup sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I had no choice! And you definitely knew it!” Daehyun turned his attention to his son, sitting in chair and tied up tightly. “I’ll kill you myself Moon Jongup if you laid a finger on him!” He said, trying to approach him, but was quickly stopped by Yongguk.

“You broke the rules, Jongup.” Yongguk said, walking forward, “And you know it. Stop being stupid and return the boy.”

Jongup gritted his teeth, angry that Yongguk and the others did not see his views. “Why...why don’t you all want revenge?”

“We all made our peace with it.” Himchan said, “Besides, it’s not like we can just resurface back and blend in with society. You know that.”

“But we have people that can create false documents...be under new names...why aren’t you guys seeing it my way? I don’t understand…”

“Jongup...you are pent up with anger. We get that, but come on.” Junhong said, “This is getting ridiculous. And him.” He gestured towards Daeyoung, “He is a boy. He needs his mother. He needs Youngjae.”

“You side with him?” He asked, his eyes lowered. “They can’t be serious.” He mumbled under his breath. Jongup looked up, realizing that the only person that he specifically asked from Daehyun wasn’t here. He clicked his tongue before moving slowly towards Daeyoung.

‘Wha?’ “What the hell are you doing?” Daehyun said as he caught Jongup’s movement. “Jong --”

“Where is Yoo Youngjae?” He forcefully grabbed Daeyoung by the hair and whipped out his fan knife, placing the blade right where Daeyoung’s jugular vein was located.

“Da...Dad.” Daeyoung breathed. The feel of the cold steel blade against his neck made him freeze up in place. Any slight movement and it would be over for Daeyoung. He closed his eyes, scared of what might happen.

“Son of a -- Jongup!!” Daehyun was about to charge over, but Yongguk once again restrained him.

“Don’t,” Yongguk said softly towards him. He gritted his teeth, ‘...I can’t be reckless with this.’ “Moon Jongup, release the boy.” He said, “nothing really will come from this.”

“Now why would I do that?” He said, pressing the blade even closer. “Where is Yoo Youngjae?”

Daehyun felt his heart beating fast, however he couldn’t think of a way to bring his son to safety and as well as keep Youngjae safe. He was starting to think that he has failed in protecting his family.

“Moon Jongup!”

Daehyun blinked, hearing Youngjae’s voice. ‘N-No.’ He quickly looked over his shoulder, seeing Youngjae walking towards them with composure. ‘Y-Youngjae...what the hell are you doing?!’

“Well, I’m here.” Youngjae said nonchalantly, “If you could...release my son. He has nothing to do with this.” His eyes now glaring at the other, “That was unnecessary and you know it. How dare you kidnap my son when I’m the one that you wanted.”

“Hmpt. Finally.” Jongup smirked, releasing his blade from Daeyoung’s nape, “Finally you are joining us...instead of hiding like a .”

Youngjae extended his hand, “Please...my son.”

“Him?” He yanked Daeyoung back, gripping his head even tighter. Daeyoung yelped, trying his best to not shed a tear or even cause Jongup to put the blade back on his neck.

“Stop it.” Daehyun gritted his teeth, “enough.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. My bad.” Jongup loosen his grip on the younger, “you’re right. Enough is enough.” Jongup gave a menacing grin at his former brothers. With a snap of his fingers, gunshots roared on the warehouse, causing everyone to take cover. Both Junhong and Himchan were grazed by bullets from Jongup’s subordinates.

“What the !?” Himchan placed his hand over his left arm, feeling the crimson liquid pouring out. “God ing damnit!”

“Himchan! Are you alright —“

“Does it look like I’m fine, Yongguk? Seriously asking me that?” He pressed on his wound, “ing mistake!”

“S-Sorry...I...I was sure that he wouldn’t do that,” Yongguk gritted his teeth, ‘tch...a boss making a rookie mistake. He really has gone against me!’ “Junhong stay down, got that?”

“U-Un.” Junhong placed his hand on his wound, groaning in pain. ‘ this hurts…’

Jongup was now surrounded by armed subordinates with heavy duty artillery. “Come out, come out wherever you are.” Jongup called out with a giddy expression on his face, “don’t you just love our partnerships with the New York mafia? Their ranged weapons are top notch.”

Both Daehyun and Youngjae peeked from their hiding place. “He is heavily surrounded by his own subordinates...that bastard. But those weapons aren’t ours...” Daehyun said, “He literally asked those Americans for help.” ‘W-What am I going to do?! I can’t even protect my son and Youngjae...What kind of guy that can’t protect his family!’

“Daehyun?” Daehyun whipped his head towards Youngjae, which caused him to flinch at the action. It pained Youngjae to see Daehyun in that state. “We have to get Daeyoung.”

“Right,” he shook his head, “but how, Youngjae. We are surrounded with not enough people and artillery to help us.”

“I know that. I’m willing to go.” Youngjae bluntly said, “he only has one purpose anyway, and that is me.” He chuckled weakly, but Daehyun didn’t find it funny.

“Don’t even think about that,” he forcefully grabbed Youngjae by the shoulders, gripping him tightly, “are you crazy? Youngjae don’t do that --”

A weak smile formed on Youngjae’s face, “This is the only way. I told you...I don’t know what I would do without Daeyoung. I can’t risk that.”

“And I can’t either! Both of you! What you are doing is stupid and you --”

Youngjae embraced him, holding him tightly. “I am so happy,” he whispered in Daehyun’s ear, “that I was able to see you again. You know that I love you so much.” He pulled back, cupping Daehyun’s cheeks, seeing that the other’s eyes were now welling up. “Protect him, please.”

“I-I can’t lose you.” Daehyun said in a shaky tone.

“And we can’t lose our son.” Tears started to shed from Youngjae’s eyes; he leaned in giving Daehyun one last kiss on the lips. As he pulled back, he wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. He smiled brightly, “I love you...alot, Daehyun.” With that he started to stand up.

“Wait --”

In one quick motion, Youngjae kicked Daehyun on the chest. ‘Sorry.’ Youngjae mentally apologize; he turned his heel heading straight towards Jongup and his band of armed subordinates.

‘What is that idiot doing?!’ Yongguk watched as Youngjae had his hands up in surrender, ‘don’t tell me --’ He rummaged through his suit pocket, ‘…’

“What is this? One survivor?” Jongup held up his hand, ordering the armed subordinates to lower their weapons, “acting like a hero?” He turned to Daeyoung, forcing him to look at his mother, “take a good look sonny...your mom is here.”

“You asked for me...and here I am,” Youngjae said, trying his best to hold his composure, “but...I need my son back.” He held out his hand, “you can at least do that for me...right?”

Jongup sighed; he closed his fan knife and ordered one of the subordinates to untie the younger. Once Daeyoung was released, he felt his wrists, seeing the bruises formed. Jongup aggressively picked up Daeyoung by the hair, throwing him forward to the ground. “There.” He smiled, “not so bad.”

Youngjae ran over to his son, holding him tightly. “I’m so sorry, Daeyoung.”

“M-Mom.” The younger held onto his mother tightly as he could.

“Don’t worry about this...I’ll take care of everything,” he smiled brightly, “I love you a lot. My greatest gift.” He kissed Daeyoung on the forehead, “you and your dad are the greatest gifts that I could ever received.”

“W-What are you --”

Youngjae stood up, picking up Daeyoung by the arm. Giving him one last hug, he gently pushed him away. “Go.”

Daeyoung’s eyes widen, “wh-what are you talking about?”

“Go. Now,” Youngjae pointed towards the exit, “I’ll be fine.” He smiled.

“You listen to mommy. Leave.” Jongup made a shoo-ing motion with his left hand. His slowly reached his gun that he had behind him with his right.

“No! I’m not doing that! I can’t --” Daeyoung gasped; a shot was made. The bullet hit the floor, close to the younger’s right foot. He fell, shocked at the sudden action.

“My god you are testing my patience,” Jongup was holding a gun his hand, “now leave before I put a bullet in your head.” He said as he started to approach the younger, but was quickly blocked by Youngjae.

“You promised.”

“Tch…fine,” he lowered his gun down to his side, “you heard him. Get up and get out.”

Daeyoung struggled to get up. His heart pounding and cold sweat dripping from his face. He started to walk backwards, watching his mother gave him a reassuring smile. ‘I...can’t believe this.’ “Y-You are a horrible man.” His eyes started to water.

“Hm. Thank you. As expected from being in the mafia.” Jongup smiled; he turned towards Youngjae, “head back. Towards that exit...a car is waiting.” He then turned towards the subordinates ordering the same thing. They quickly took their leave.

Youngjae nodded; he glanced once more at his son before heading towards the exit. The younger stepped back; he turned his heel and started to run towards the exit of the warehouse. Jongup watched as Daeyoung’s stepped echoed. A smiled curled on his face. He raised his gun at the younger, “Bye.”

“Huh?” Youngjae turned his head, eyes widen at the sight.

With quick moves, Youngjae fully turned around and grabbed Jongup’s arm, causing the shot to miss Daeyoung greatly. The younger looked over his shoulder; he was quickly pulled to the side by Yongguk, who was still hiding behind the storage boxes. About to scream, Yongguk covered his mouth with his hand, “Quiet.” He said, and the other nodded his head.

“The ?!” He jerked his hand away and grabbed Youngjae by the front of his shirt, “you know what? it! I’m just going to kill you now! I had the whole night planned to slowly torture you, but screw it! It was ruined!”

Youngjae’s eyes widen, but if it meant that Daeyoung would be able to get away, even for a few seconds, that was good enough for him.

“Bye-bye.”

Before Jongup could pull the trigger, a shot was made, causing crazed mafia member to release his grip of the other. He was shot. Right on his left shoulder. ‘!!’ Jongup took a couple steps back, eyes looking up at the shooter. “You!”

Daehyun’s angered eyes met with the other, gun still pointing at him. “I can’t let you do that.”

“Seriously?! You seriously shot me!” He laughed hysterically, but it didn’t budge Daehyun one bit.

“Daehyun!” Youngjae cried.

“Now Jongup...you know I love you as a brother, but once you dragged my son and Youngjae into this...I can’t forgive you.”

“Hmpt,” he scoffed, “neither can I.”

“Don’t try anything,” Daehyun still pointing his gun, he extended his left hand, “give me Youngjae...and I won’t kill you.”

“Tch…”

Daehyun’s attention went towards Youngjae, “come here.” He pleaded. Youngjae was shaken up, thinking he would be shot right there and then. This is the escape that they needed. Seems the gods were on their side.

Youngjae started to jog towards Daehyun.

But before he could make it to his arms, Jongup pointed his gun and pulled the trigger. His enemy fell down. The bullet went right through Daehyun’s head, a clean shot.

Youngjae stopped in his tracks, “D-Daehyun.” He breathed out, “Dae...Daehyun.” His legs gave out and fell to the ground. ‘N-no...no…’ He did his best to crawl over to him, holding a now dead lover in his arms. He cradled Daehyun’s body, holding him close to his chest. His eyes started to water and his body shaking.

“My finger slipped,” Jongup said as he walked towards the two, “truely bothersome...not to mention stupid. Attention should have been on me, not you. Come on now, Daehyun!” he laughed, "what a mistake!"

“How could you!” Youngjae cried, “how could you do that to Daehyun!!” Tears flowing down his face, “you’re a horrible man!”

Jongup smiled, “thanks.” With that, Jongup pointed the gun at Youngjae, “you should be happy that you will see him in the afterlife. Consider this a great gift that I’ll give you.”

“Wha --” Youngjae felt the bullet hit him right on the shoulder; he fell back, gripping it tightly, but blood continued to pour out.

“Youngjae.” The said person looked up, gun right against his forehead. “I wanted to do things differently, but now that your stupid lover has shot me...I’m in a bad mood. So, I’m just going to do this quick.” He stood up with a deadpan expression on his face. He pulled the trigger and shot Youngjae just like how he did with Daehyun. Youngjae fell back, blood pouring out from his head.

From afar, Daeyoung watched as his parents were both shot in front of his eyes. He kept still, trying his best not to let out his hiding place. He closed his eyes, letting his tears fall down his cheeks. He could hear Jongup release more shots and the more Daeyoung tighten his eyes. ‘H-Huh?’ He looked up, seeing Yongguk had covered his ears with his hands, trying the best he could to block out the sounds of the gun.

After the comotion, it was silent for awhile, until they heard the sound of Jongup’s laughter echoed. “Ah great! This is great!! Not how I wanted it to be...regardless the deed is done.” He turned his heel and started to head towards the back, exiting out of the warehouse. He slammed the door behind him.

‘H-He left.’ Daeyoung tried to get up, but was held back by Yongguk. Without saying anything, Daeyoung knew that he wanted them to wait for a bit. Making sure that they don’t get caught by wandering subordinates.

They waited for awhile, and Yongguk released his grip of Daeyoung. The younger took the opportunity to race towards his parents. He tripped in the process, dragging himself towards their dead bodies. He covered his eyes and started to weep.

“…” Junhong breathed out, “he went all out…”

Many gunshot wounds were placed on Daehyun and Youngjae, as if Jongup made sure that they were dead. Their pool of blood beneath them spreading out on the floor. Himchan knelt down beside Daeyoung, comforting him. “I...I’m sorry Daeyoung.”

Yongguk inhaled deeply, ‘I’ve dealt with these things many times…’ He took out his pack of Raison Black, grabbing a cigarette, ‘but...…’ He glanced down at Daeyoung, face still buried in his hands, “hey kid...listen --”

“What kind of boss are you…,” Daeyoung mumbled, “you’ve known him for many years and you didn’t think he was this crazy? You did this on purpose didn't you?! Why didn't you help?! What kind of mafia is this?!” He turned his attention towards Yongguk, eyes filled with anger. He struggled to stand up; he approached Yongguk with his hand curled into a ball. The younger swung his arm, but it was easily blocked by Yongguk. He grabbed Daeyoung’s wrist, causing the younger to wince at the pain.

“Tch. Stop.” Yongguk said, “I am angry as much as you are. Two people that I care about are gone.”

“S-Stop lying!” Daeyoung stomped his feet, acting like a child having a tantrum, “I know you don’t care about my mom and dad! Look what happened! And you’re supposed to be some kind of boss? Some mafia boss you are! You didn't help --”

“Listen here you piece of sh --”

“Yongguk, stop it.” Himchan pulled Daeyoung close to him and pushed Yongguk with his right hand, “look, we are all...feeling lots of emotions right now. We have to get out of here. C-Call...call Hyongjun. We will dicuss these things somewhere else. Just not here.”

“T-Then what about my parents?!” Daeyoung pushed Himchan away, “what about them? Are we just going to leave them?”

“No! No, we aren’t going to do that,” Himchan cupped Daeyoung’s crying face, “we will bring them with us.”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

“Hey...hey, Daeyoung.” Yitao pounded the door of the younger’s apartment. He clicked his tongue before turning to the rest of his circle of friends, “he’s not answering.”

“I-I’m getting worried,” Sehan said, “we haven’t heard from him for a week now.”

“He would always text us every other day,” Joonxing checked his phone, “I’m worried as well.”

“Should we ask the guard in the front? Maybe he saw Daeyoung and Mr. Yoo.” Xiuchen suggested.

“But we already tried that. I doubt that he knows where they are.” Jongsoo crossed his arms together, “what the hell is going on?!”

“Lower your voice,” Baekyeol smacked the other on his arm, “the neighbors.”

“Well...they probably know something --”

“Lets just leave for today,” Sehan said, “clearly they aren’t here.”

The group nodded and started to head out of the apartment complex. As they stood out on the sidewalk, they made plans that after their practice, they would come back later tonight to check up on him.

“Oh my god! Y-You’re XII right?” The group turned their heads, seeing a group of seven students in front of them, “it is them!! Whoa...I’ve never been this close to idols before!”

“Tch, Hyuna keep your voice down.” One of the taller male students said, “I-I’m sorry...our friend...really loves you guys.”

“Sangcheol! You are making me sound crazy!”

“You are crazy…”

Hyuna glared at Bitna, but turned her attention back to the idol group. “O-Oh...ah, it’s alright.” Sehan chuckled, “we were just startled. That’s all.”

Xiuchen glanced at the apartment complex, then back at the students, “erm, may I ask you guys a question?”

“Sure!” Hyuna clasped her hands together, “anything!”

The younger pointed at the complex beside them, “you guys live here?”

“Oh...n-no. We don’t, but our friend does.” Said Hoon, “he lives here.”

“Is there a reason why you’re asking that question?” Eunyoung asked

Baekyeol nodded, “we have a friend that lives here and he hasn’t contacted us. It has been a week now and we are worried about him.”

“Considering you guys are wearing that uniform,” Yitao pointed out, “you guys go to the same school. So, you know who were are talking about right? You all should know since he probably hasn’t been in class for a week now.”

“At least that is what we assume.” Joonxing said.

Youngtae hummed, “yeah...Jung Daeyoung is our friend.”

The idol group widen their eyes; Jongsoo approached them, “s-so you know where he is? W-We are his childhood friends...and we --”

“N-No.” Byungwook shook his head, “we don’t know where Daeyoung is...it is like he vanished into thin air. When we asked his teachers said they said that he had to leave the school. Something about being transferred...somewhere...I can’t remember where though. Just like that, he up and left.”

“And he didn’t say anything to any of you?” Baekyeol asked, to which the students shook their heads ‘no’.

“Texting and calling doesn’t seem to go through…” Bitna said as she adjusted her bag, “that’s why we came to check up on him...maybe the teacher was lying to us, but I’m guessing you all went up…”

“That is not like our Daeyoung.” Xiuchen pursed his lips, ‘this is odd…transferred? B-But...like where?’ He looked up at the apartment complex, “Jung Daeyoung...where are you?”

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

After a week, Daeyoung’s world literally turned upside down. He lost both his parents at the same time, in the hands of a lunatic. As promised, both Daehyun and Youngjae were brought to their headquarters. Before they were properly cremated Himchan personally asked his subordinate to purchase two wedding bands for both Daehyun and Youngjae for them to wear. When asked, he made a simple reply that they would have done it anyway and that it was a shame that they couldn’t. Their ashes were put in a black, granite double urn inscribed with their names.

In the while, just as expected, Jongup up and left along with his loyal subordinates. By doing so, he severed tied with the Hellhounds. Yongguk was adamant in finding Jongup and personally handle him himself. However, they were having issues finding him.

Yongguk sat in his office, staring at nothing in particular. He was feeling rather irritated and unhappy. He took out a cigarette, lighting it. He blew smoke out, leaning back in his seat, ‘how are we going to get through this…it is my fault for being to lax about the plan.’ The door creaked open catching Yongguk’s attention. “Oh…,” he sat up straight, “Daeyoung.”

The younger opened the door, letting his head peek in, “apologies if I am bothering you.”

“No...no. Come in. Close the door while you are at it.” Daeyoung did just that, closing the door behind him and headed straight to seat in front of Yongguk’s desk. “What can I do you for?” The boss asked, inhaling and blowing out smoke before putting it out.

Daeyoung glanced down at Yongguk’s desk, seeing a Beretta 92 on his desk. He sighed, “I...I just wanted to...thank you for taking me in…”

“Hm. No problem,” Yongguk said, taking his Beretta 92 and started to disassemble to clean it, “I know that...your father would be against this, but I couldn’t do it.”

“D-Do what?”

“Send you away. I mean, I should have. Better to live off with relatives or would being in foster care be better? Though, you are old...I don’t think they will take you in? I don’t know. I don’t have kids.”

“I can see that.”

“Anyway, it would have been much better than staying here with the mafia. Even though your father despised the idea of you being here, but...really...we are the only family you got. Not only that...we can give you the protection you need.”

Daeyoung scoffed at the idea, but deep down he thought that Yongguk was right. No one else knows about his situation, but him and the rest of the Hellhounds. ‘Also…’ he glanced up at Yongguk, ‘with me being here...I can also --’

“Don’t think about it, kid.” Yongguk said which surprised Daeyoung at the sudden comment. The younger chuckled.

“Pardon?”

“Revenge, right? I can tell you were thinking of it. Against Jongup for what he has done?”

Daeyoung widen his eyes, but knew that he couldn’t hide it now, “yeah...so what? I want to kill him.”

Yongguk looked up, seeing the younger’s eyes clouded with hate. “I understand that you’re mad --”

“I am...very angry. I don’t have my parents anymore. Just as I was able to get a complete family...it didn’t last long. And I don’t even get a picture of them together with me,” he tightened his hands, “that Moon Jongup stole them away from me. Don’t you think he needs to be punished?”

“I...I’ll take care of it, Daeyoung. You don’t need to worry --”

“But I want to.” he reached over taking the Beretta 92 and reassemble the gun in front of Yongguk, even putting the full magazine inside. He pointed the gun at Yongguk with confidence, however, the boss sat still in his chair. “Instead of you or whoever...I rather have it be me. Got that?”

Yongguk sighed; he leaned back in his chair, ‘this kid...seriously...I thought he would be a good boy.’ He took a glimpse at Daeyoung, seeing that look in his eyes.

“It needs to be me. If you get in the way...th-then I won’t hesitate to kill you too.”

“Heh...that is brave. Saying that to a mafia boss.” Yongguk stood up from his chair causing Daeyoung to move back a bit, “fine. Fine, I’ll let you have your revenge, but myself and the Hellhounds would like to help. We will support you anyway we can. I understand that he killed your parents, but he also killed my brother as well.”

“Hmpt, I guess you can’t forgive my mom for what he did.”

“No...I did. It was for show, but I did forgive your mother.”

“R-really now? Is that right? Why?”

“Because I loved him, too.” Yongguk he said softly. He extended his hand, asking for the gun to be returned. Daeyoung, surprised at the answer returned it. “So, I do have business with Jongup. We will work together to get him.”

Daeyoung nodded, “yes.”

Yongguk extended his hand once more, and Daeyoung took it. They shook hands at the agreement. The younger took his leave from the office; he closed the door behind him. He smirked.

“I’ll get you, Moon Jongup.

--- (DAEJAE) --- (DAEYOUNG) --- (DAEJAE) ---

The End.

Author Coffeemilk corner: Now start playing B.A.P's Skydive song...(We can skydive free fall)...now I want to watch the MV :T