III.

Soulmate Drabbles

the one where soulmates can heal each other’s injuries.


Footsteps echo around them – rapid stomps grow louder as they head to the nearest shelter. There are only two of them, survivors of the wild and crazy life they’re sustaining. There were nine of them, but they fell apart – three died to buy the rest more time, two was eaten by the horrible things and the other two killed themselves.

(Death is death and they are shaken – too many losses in a day, too much grieve has carved inside their bones. But death is death and she has vowed not to fall into his arms.)

The shelter appears to be empty. People had already left when the government offered to take them to another continent which was said to be safe and sound from the horrendous creatures inhabiting their land. And, of course, they were too late.

Several steps to go, and –

The creature, a huge one with horrendous smell and eight slippery legs, comes with a spring and tries to land on her head, driving her to the ground. Taeyeon can barely register the scream her partner lets out as the creature sinks a leg into her abdomen. Her hands move in a practiced swing with knifes on her hands, slicing and stabbing every part she can reach, even when her consciousness slips away.

In the end, she kills it. But it nearly kills her too.

Taeyeon lies on her back, face pale and lips cracking, her stomach bathed in crimson liquid that trails down her leg. Her partner is doing everything she could - Tiffany might not be the best healer the town ever had but she’s definitely capable.

“You’re not dying on me,” her voice comes out strong even when her eyes are shut, tears gathering on the tip of her lashes.

She lets out a wheezing laughter and damn it hurts. Every breath the takes and releases hurt like her abdomen have been pierced by glass shards (which is close enough but not) and every contraction her muscles make causes her to –

Blink in confusion.

The pain, though slowly, has gone away.

She takes a sharp breath, the agonizing pain on her abdomen have subsided into a dull ache. She stares at her partner and for the first time, she realizes. A faint laughter leaves her and she lifts a shaky hand to cup her face, tender and loving. Like what soulmates are supposed to do.

“My soulmate,” she whispers, longing and amazement laced together, “I should have known it.”

Her eyes are bright with smile, even with tears b on the rim – in happiness, she assures herself. “I’ve told you, you’re not dying on me.”

Taeyeon laughs, hoarse but free, and thinks that living in this hellish place wouldn’t be so hard anymore.