Chapter 5

"Lost Without You"

 

 

 

                        What was the point of having a father when he didn’t help you out when you needed him the most? Hyun-jae asked herself later that night. She returned home, through the snow, to ask her dad one tiny favor, and he’d turned away and told her in certain terms that he had no intentions of doing any favors for her at all, no matter how small. She turned away angrily and stamped her feet in frustration.

 

                        Mr. Lee was still a good looking man of fifty-five, and the greatest dad in the world Hyun-jae knew, he was also one of the most stubborn adults she had ever known!

 

                       “Come on Dad, I’ve tried every other way I can think of. I’ve rung their record company, their management company, I’ve even bought a ticket for their concert! But there’s no way that I can get an interview with super junior!”

 

                        Her dad smiled, he shook his head sympathetically. “Then you’ll just have to accept the fact you can’t interview them!”

 

                        “No way! If I got an exclusive interview with them, I could sell it to the news papers! It would look so good on my records – the only reporter in the country to get an interview with the most up - and – coming boy band around. And not just any reporter, but a

school reporter at that!”

 

                         “I know it would..”

 

                         “hmmm.. you could help me dad, you work in TV! Everyone says you’re one of the best. A great reporter and a TV arts producer too. You know everyone who is anyone, you could use your connections, pull a few strings."

 

Mr. Lee glanced down at the press release Hyun-jae had brought home with her. “ I probably could,” he agreed and read the name of Suju’s management company, “SHIN’s Promotionals.” The name rang a bell in his head and cast his mind back a few years.

 

“I met Shindong once, I’ve probably still got his phone number on my file-case.”

 

“then you’ll help me? You’ll phone up Shindong?” she leaned and kissed his father on the cheek. “OK Dad, you’re the best, and I know you’re going to be so proud of me when you see my interview printed in the papers!”

 

Mr. Lee shook his head “No darling, I’m not going to help you” he stated firmly.

 

“What!?”Hyun-jae couldn’t believe what his dad was saying.

 

“If you want your interview with Super Junior, then that’s fine with me.”He said and stood up from his chair. “But get it yourself. If you really want to be a reporter then you’ll be able to interview them

without my help.”

 

“But --- “

 

“Mianhe darling … you’re on your own on this one.”He walked out of the room.

 

“Of all the pig-headed, arrogant, selfish, old fashioned …. Grrrrr….”Hyun-jae uttered.

 

She turned to her mum who had  been following the conversation on her armchair. Mrs. Lee was a research physicist. “Can you believe that Mum? How can he be so cruel?”

 

Her mum put down the research papers she had been working on, and patted the chair next to her indicating that Hyun-jae should talk to her.

 

“He’s only getting your best interest at heart Hyun-jae and deep down you know Dad is right.”

 

Hyun-jae sighed “I suppose so, but an interview with super junior would be so good for me.”

 

“Then go for it, prove to Dad that you can do it. Prove it to yourself.”

 

“Security around them is so tight, I’d have a better chance of breaking into the Bank of South Korea, if only that so-and-so had agreed to help me!”

 

Her mum chuckled. “That so-and-so is your dad – my husband – who’s only interested on your welfare. If it has any consolation I’d happily give you Shindong’s number.” She said.

 

“You have his number too mum?”

 

“Well, yes –n on my PC. You know how absent minded your appa is. I’m sure one day he’ll lose that case, so I copied all his important contact number’s to my computer for safe keeping.”

 

“Kamsahamnida omma! At least you’re different from the Dad from hell… you’re both so different as in! How come you could get along with him for a long time!”

 

“Opposites do attract sometimes baby, and 26 years ago, if some one had told me that I would end up marrying your father I would have thought that they were crazy too. The first time I met him I thought he was arrogant, conceited and much too full of himself.”

 

“You’re not far wrong there mum…”

 

“But as I got to know him better I found out that, that was only the impression he gave to the world because he was shy about meeting other people.”

 

“Dad? Shy?”

 

Mrs. Lee nodded. “His stand-offish manner was just a front, a form of self-defense, but as I got to know him more, I discovered that he was the sweetest, gentlest, most lovable man I had ever known in my entire life. And in spite of all our differences, I found myself helplessly falling in love with him… Love is like that Hyun-jae, it never plays by the rules. When two opposites meet, they learn from each other, and the most important thing is that, no matter what your differences are, you can never stay apart for so long. It’s no use of fighting the attraction. Like a magnet to an iron. All you can do is give in. if you struggle against it, then you’re going to be  miserable for the rest of your life. And I’m glad that I didn’t resist against the attraction…”

 

“And I’m glad too… see, coz of that, I’m here!” Hyun-jae said then gave her mum a daughterly peck on the cheek. She looked towards the door, through which her father had left. “He’s still the Dad from hell though!” they laughed together.

 

“He’s your father and he wants to look after you.”Her mum repeated.

“If he’s interested in my welfare he could have got me my interview.”

 

“Like what he said, this is your chance to prove what crack reporter you are… and besides maybe there’s another reason for him not wanting you to get the interview…”

 

“hmmm… and what’s that?”

 

“Well, you’re our only daughter and we love you more than anything in this world, and you know what they all say about rock stars don’t you?”

 

“No… what do they say about rock stars mum?”

 

She was about to answer when suddenly the phone rang. She answered it and passed the wireless receiver over to Hyun-jae .

 

“yeoboseyo!”Hyunjae frowned, wondering who would be asking for her at half-past eleven at night.

 

“Hyunjae, is that you?”Gaeul’s voice crackled down the receiver. In the background Hyun-jae could hear the buzz of people talking and the throbbing rhythms of the music: she remembered  Ga-Eul telling her that Siwon had promised to take her to the city’s trendiest club to night, and guessed that that was where Ga-Eul was phoning her from. “ Hyun-jae imnida.”

 

“ kyaa~ I told you that Siwon was a catch and a half right?”Ga-Eul said excitedly, shouting to make herself heard above the sound of the metal beat.

 

“ Neh~ He’s a nice guy..”Hyun-jae agreed.

 

“ We have just had the most fantastic conversation ever.”

 

“ I’m surprised you can hear him above all those noise.”Hyun-jae joked.

 

“ we’ve learned so much from each other, He’s kind, charming, smart and witty – “

 

on the other end of the line, Hyun-jae nodded impatiently. “ All your

boyfriends are. What so special about him?”

 

“ Listen… we’ve talked about our families, I told him all about how my

brother’s two timing his girlfriend and so on..”

 

For Heaven’s sake, Ga-Eul, get to the point! Hyun-jae thought irritably.

 

“ And Hyun-jae... you are never too far to guess who Siwon’s cousin is!”

From her arm chair Mrs. Lee watched her daughter’s expressions as Ga-Eul announced her news.

 

“So Siwon is related to who?”Hyun-jae asked.

 

She couldn’t imagine how lucky she is. She glanced over to her mum and gave her a thumbs-up gesture of victory.

 

His exclusive interview with the six guys of Super Junior was as good as guaranteed.

 

She gave back the phone to her mum. “Haengbokhaeyo! Anyeongi jumuseyo omma..”  Hyun-jae said with a big smile then gave her mum a goodnight kiss and ran towards her room. 

 

Wait for me suju.. im heading my way to success! Hihi.. a real scoop as it is..   Hyun-jae thought before she closed her eyes.

 

-----------------------

 

so whats next? :] stay tuned.. ^^