Chapter 3

"Lost Without You"

 

          The next morning, Hyun jae parked her own car near the school park, for she knew that Ga eul was waiting there for her.

             "Yaa! Hyun jae!"

             "Oh? So? what's on us now?"

             "Hmmn. Final decision, I'm helping you out w/ your charities over Christmas," Ga eul reminded her. "So you owe me, will you?

             " Ga eul, i haven't got the time.... '

             Ga eul was looking at her, pleadingly like a cute little kid deprived of her favorite chocolates and teddy's...

             " Well ok! " hyun jae finally gave in, Ga eul claped triumphantly. "But? how about the tickets? " She asked, sensibly. " I thought the dance had sold out weeks ago! "

             Like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, Ga eul whipped a pair of tickets out of  the back pocket of her Guess pants. In response to Hyun jae's puzzled look, she explained that she had bought them, several weeks ago, when they had first been put on sale. Then she had been planning to go to dance w/ Joon, a good looking fellow student on Ga eul's English literature course.

            " I seem to remember you calling Joon, the greatest love of your life only a couple of weeks ago, " Hyun jae mischieviously reminded her chingu.

                " puuh-lease..!! " Ga eul said and shuddered.  " He had spots like you wouldn't believe... "

                " You didn't seem to mind that when you were kissing," Hyun jae recalled. "You didn't come for air for hours..!  hahahaha" Hyun jae had an habit of always reminding her past mistakes.

                " Anyway, he was sooo immature,!"

                " He was two months younger than you!" Hyun jae  giggled.

                " That's what i mean, " Ga eul laughed and then suddenly serious again. " But, believe me.. Siwon is it!!! "

                " hahah.. sure, Ga eul! " Hyunjae nodded her head, but clearly not believing at all.

                " So I'll meet up with you tonight? " Ga eul asked, as she said goodbye to Hyun jae. who had to go to her next class.

                "And Hyun jae..! ?"

                "yep?"

                " Siwon is mine, ok? "

            Hyun jae frowned, but nodded anyway, and walked away, promising to pick Ga eul up at half-past seven that night.

            Ga eul turned and enter the Common room. She had more important things to occupy her mind now, like what to wear for the dance tonight, and  the best chat up line to try out on Siwon. Who knows she might even manage to fix a date for Hyunjae as well.

******

             The throbbing beat from the latest chart-topping sounds covered the assembly hall as Sangi University's Christmas dance got into full swing. It was almost nine o' clock and the dance floor was packed with couples bopping to the latest disco and techno. Hyun jae, dressed in a white AbbyDC and trendy Calvins, was sitting at a table by herself, after having turned down the 4th invitation to dance with her.

             She was writing in shorthand in a reporter's notebook, occasionally looking up to see Ga eul and Siwon on the dance floor. Her best friend hadn't wasted any time, and had been monopolizing the handsome guy for the best part of an hour.

             The dance track faded, to be replaced by a sugary-sweet music. Suddenly Ga eul and Siwon left the dance floor to rejoin Hyun jae at her table. Ga eul glanced down at the notebook, unsuccessfully trying to get Hyun jae's shorthand notes.

             " Don't you ever stop!? " she said and raised her eyes. She closed Hyun jae's notebook before reaching out for her cup of wine.

             " Mianhae..! " Hyun jae laughed guiltily. "I was working on some ideas for The Lode Star." 

             " You should be out there at the dance floor, enjoying your self! " Siwon said. He was showing more than a friendly interest in Hyun jae too, Ga eul noticed.

            " Yaah..! Hyun jae wants to be a famous news reporter, and untill she does she's not going to allow even superman to get a look-in!!

            " That's a shame," oozed Siwon. "And such a waste too..."

            Ga eul listened in horrified. Was Siwon actually comming on to her best friend?

            " Look, why don't you two go back and dance? I'll be fine here.."

                " You're sure? " Siwon asked.

                " Of course she's sure! " Ga eul said and grabbed Siwon's hand dragging him back on the dance floor.

                Hyunjae smiled as she watched them join the other couples.. The song was unfamiliar to her, sung by a male voice, telling of how the singer had known lots of girls but thought he'd never meet the right one. 

               It was pleasant enough, Hyunjae thought, but a little too slushy for her taste; it was probably just an attempt by another band of pretty boys to cash on w/ their good looks, and write a song w/c would appeal to all teenagers out there.

               " Would you like to dance to Super Junior w/ me, Hyun jae?" asked a voice above her.

 

                Hyunjae looked up to see the smiling face of Kim Kibum, the captain of the college soccer team. They'd known each other by sight but never really had spoken to each other.

                  " Excuse me?" hyunjae said. "Super Junior?"

                  " Thats who's playing now, " KiBum replied. "They're a new rock band, and it's their new single."

                  Hyunjae looked back at the dance floor. she felt a pang of envy to those dancing couples.

                  " Well, i don't know..." she said unsurely.

                  "I'll be honored if u did," He smiled at her, displaying a set of white dazzling teeth. "it's so rare that i get a chance to dance w/ such an attractive girl.."

                   " Then how can i say no?" Hyunjae said then allowed KiBum to take her hand lead her on the dance floor.

                   Ga eul released herself from Siwon's passionate embrace and her eyes glanced over them.

                   " Will u just look at that!" Ga eul said to her companion as Hyunjae and Kibum began to slow-dance in time to the sensual beat of Super Junior's 1st single. "Hyunjae and Kim KibUm!! "

                   Siwon muzzled on Ga eul's neck. "So? what's the big deal? "

                   " The big deal is that, Kibum is the most gorgeous boy in our entire school, he's the guy everyone says could make the big time as a male actor and model, if he wasn't captain of soccer team. Every girl's been running after him... well forever. And who get's to dance w/ him w/o trying?" Ga eul asked rethorically. " what a lucky so-and-so Hyunjae is! But i never thought Kibum was  interested w/ girls; the only thing he seems to have time for is kicking that soccer ball or guesting on drama club's event. Siwon, this is the start of something big!"

                  Unaware of all the attention being focused on her, or the fact that she had suddenly become an item of envy for every on the hall, Hyunjae was enjoying herself immensely.

                  "You're a very good dancer Hyunjae."

                  "Not really... thanks anyway.."

                  They danced in the silence for a few moments and Kibum pulled her close to him. Hyunjae looked up into his eyes, he's really extraordinary y, she decided, w/ a thick black hair just curl over his collar, and a fabulous killer smile he keeps on wearing on his face. Just her type in fact; she  hated pasty-faced blonds. she giggled.

                  "What's funny?"

                   "Ga eul was trying to  fix me up w/ a date before, she's convinced that i need a boy friend for Christmas."

                   "Well i'm glad that she was unsuccessful..., and do you?"

                   "Do i what?" She said although she perfectly knew what Kibum was asking her.

                    Near them.. there was Ga eul and Siwon listening. Ga eul believed that this was going to be too good to miss out.

 

                  " Needed a boy friend for Christmas?" Kibum asked huskily.

                  A look passed between them, a look that says everything they haeded to know. 30 pairs of envious female eyes glared w/ jealousy as the handsomest, iest, and hunkiest guy at Sangi University bent his head down to kiss Hyunjae.

                 She closed her eyes, raising her head to meet Kibum's lips.

                 And then suddenly she broke away.

                "Omhigod!!!!" She cried.. "I'd forgotten all about it!!"

                "Hyunjae, what is it, are you alright?'

                "Look Kibum, i'm really really sorry but, I have something to do, a politician from London is coming tonight at the Christmas Luxure,"

                "So?"

                "Well if I could get an interview w/ him for The Lode Star, that would be a real scoop!" she said and pushed her way out. She rushed over her table and grabbed her reporters notebook, then turned to Kibum who had followed her. 

                "Look, i'm really sorry, Bum.." she said and kissed him-- a friendly peck on the cheek and not the long, deep passionate kiss he had been expecting. "But, you do understand, don't you?"

                He was speechless; nothing like this had ever happened to him before. Usually he couldn't get rid of the girls and no one had ever walked out on him before!

                "I'll make it up to you," Hyunjae had promised as she picked up her coat from the back of her chair, and Kibum helped her to put it on. she kissed him on the cheek again. " Have to dash now.. See you!!"

                And w/ that Lee Hyunjae left the most gorgeous boy in the whole University standing alone, and raced out into the cold winds of winter. 30 girls who had been watching the whole scenario, decided that she was the biggest fool they had ever known!

               From the dance floor Ga eul and Siwon watched her go. Ga eul shook her head in amazement. she turned to Siwon and said... " My best friend is the craziest, dumbest, most brain-dead person in the history of the world. Dumping Kim KiBum for a fusty old politician! Aigoo! "

                    " It's her job, thats what you told me, "

                    " It's Christmas Siwon and we're allowed to switch off for holiday season!"

                    " Oh..  Just Let her do what she wants, now come on Ga eul and let's dance!! "

 

                   

**** next chapter :] ****