Chapter 1

"Lost Without You"

 CHRISTMAS SEASON

 

         The wind was cold and the snow fell softly around Sangi University, covering the sports arena with a crisp blanket of white, and transforming the University's rolling ground and old stone buildings into a scene from a Victorian Christmas images.

        It was late afternoon, and the darkness was slowly spreading on the ground; inside the brightly-lit centrally-heated classrooms there was a feeling of well-earned idleness. After all it was nearly Christmas and 3 days to go before the end of term.

      Money is not needed for you to enter Sangi University, even though the parents of many students were very well off indeed, but you need brains and something which the teaching staff and the Board of Directors--- every employees-- valued even more.

      Individualism, thinking for your self, standing on your own feet -- or stubbornness was something which was positively encouraged at Sangi University. School work was important, certainly and nothing but the best possible grades were expected from each and every student; but preparation for adult life and work was deemed just as important and therefore there was a whole host of extra curricular activities from which Sangi students could choose.

     At the end of school day the corridors were packed with students, only half of those were in a rush to go home; half are busy working on school papers, going to a school's drama society for rehearsals or preparing for Charity Hall New Year's Eve Party.

    There was this one beautiful tall girl with a black shiny hair, who was so mesmerized with her own thoughts at the end of this day, that she wasn't looking where she was going, and she bumped into a a fellow student, a pretty and petite blonde-haired girl. as they ran into each other, the file and folders the dark-haired girl was carrying fell tumbling to the floor.

    " Damn it.. aish" cried the taller girl, and bent down to pick the files and papers.

    " Minahae, Hyun-Jae, " the blonde girl said, as she knelt down to help her friend gather up her papers.

    " Its not your fault, Ga eul..." she said and smiled. " If i stopped charging around Sangi, like a bat out of hell, it wouldn't have happened.'

     " Its Christmas you know," Ga Eul said, handing over the papers to her best friend. "You are allowed to have a little time off, wind down, have some fun. Thats what Holidays are for."

     They stood up and walk through the corridor.

    " You know that Christmas is the busiest time of the year for me," she reminded Ga Eul. "For starters theres a revision for next term's exam---"

   " Don't remind me, " Ga Eul said glumly.

Christmas, supposed to be a time of goodwill to all, but obviously no one had informed Mrs. Minching, their math teacher, when she had set them their holiday homeworks.

     " And there's a Charity Hall's New Years Eve Party, " Hyun-jae continued. "You promised  to help me out this year."

     " I Know," Ga Eul said. While in fact, she had secretly been wishing that Hyun-Jae had forgotten about the promise she had made her 8 months ago. When the thoughts of helping to organize a party for disabled kids at Charity Hall hadn't seem so bad. Christmas and New Year were supposed to be times for enjoying yourselves, not for spending much of your time elbow-deep in someone's jelly or custard.

    " Plus there's stories to prepare for The Lode Star, " Hyun-Jae said " The New Year issue's is due on the 1st week of next term." She sighed and chuckled. "Holiday?? What Holiday huh? "

   " Ommo?? Don't you ever rest Lee Hyun-Jae? " Ga Eul asked in a mock-stern voice. " A straight-A student, part time charity and care worker, and assistant editor of student's News Paper. I mean,.. do ever get time to do things we, normal people do-- like eat?" 

  For a moment Hyun-jae looked serious. " Ga Eul, if my Grand dad hadn't worked hard and raised enough money to move his entire family here in Seoul, I might not be here now. My dad's family were poor, its through sheer hard work that we've got to where we are today. I don't want to waste the opportunity I've been given."

     Ga Eul nodded, taking Hyun-jae's point but still giggled. " Where are you today? " she repeated. " Living in a posh house in the hill, and having so little free time that you don't even get the chance to use your father's credit cards?  Now thats's what i called a waste! "

   Hyun jae gave Ga eul a friendly slap on her shoulder: it was a long argument between the two of them.

   " When I'm at the university, I want to be working as a great journalist, " Hyun jae continued sounding a little too eager for her own good. " and every hour i put on the student's news paper, every minute i spend experiencing some of the social problems of this town, every moment i'm helping some one less fortunate than myself, is going to stand me in good stead. Think of it as a sort of working experience. :]"

    " But, you could walk into a reporter's jop as easily as that.. " Ga Eul said, clicking her fingers.

    " And what gives you that idea? "

    " Well, your dad, he works fot some shows & news segment on Arirang, doesn't he? He could pull a few strings for you, and the next thing you know, you'd be reading the six o' clock news on telly! "

     Hyun jae shook her head. " No way. He says that if i want a job in journalism then I've got to get it my self, the hard way. The way he got his own job. "

       Ga Eul pulled a face, as if to show that she didn't think much of Mr. Lee's refusal to help his only daughter, but Hyun jae smiled.

      " And of course, he's right..., if i can't get a job on the strength of my own talents, like what Donghae and Sungmin oppa is doing right now, and could only get one because of who my dad is, then i'm simply not good enough! "

      " haha..! you're determined Hyun jae.. I'll give you that. " Ga eul said. And they finally reached the journalism den's door.

        "Ok Ga eul.. you can go home now, like what i've said, i have something more to do for the school paper.. I'll phone you right the moment I reach my bed. " Hyun jae said while she's searching her own key on her bag.

        " Alright!.. As you wish! Go home early huh??? "

       " Yeh.. i will.. "

       " annyeonghi..! "

 

>>next chap...