Chapter 2

Say You Won't Let Go

 

The interview was quite shorter than what Wheein was expecting. She thought they would ask a lot of questions regarding to her experience in baby-sitting. Plus, the offer was alot more than usual. However, one thing that is still surprising yet scared to her is that she was interviewed by the CEO of SM. CEO for a nanny job.

 

“So when can you start working, Wheein-ssi?” Wheein can’t help but feel intimidated by the woman in front of her - her charisma and natural beauty.

 

“A-Actually, I can start working from tomorrow onward.” She gave a very nervous smile to Yongsun, and wish Yongsun didn’t see that.

 

“Great then! Come to this address tomorrow!” Yongsun gave an A4 paper to her that have an address on it.

 

“But...Can I at least know first about who am I going to look after?” the question somehow made Yongsun hesitate for abit before she spoke another word.

 

“Well, you will see tomorrow. But do not worry, I don’t look for any special requirement.” Yongsun gave her an assuring smile. “Oh and I will send the attire to your place. I think you will be able to receive it tonight.”

 

“I’ll get going then. See you later, Mrs. Moon.” She bowed to Yongsun, and left the room nervously. Why am I so intimidated.

 

After finishing the interview, Wheein met up with Soojung who happened to be in the building also. They hugged each other for a very long time, and then they decided to go to the cafe on the ground floor before embarrassing themselves in the building infront of everyone.

 

“So what was the job about? I’m sad you are not our manager.” Soojung pouted at her painfully.

 

“Sorry, Soojungie. They urgently need people for that, and Hyejin recommended me also. It’s nanny by the way.” the answer made Soojung raised her eyebrows.

 

“Nanny? I’ve never heard our new CEO has children, and she’s married to a woman though.” Soojung explained, and it made her sister confused.

 

“Really? Maybe I’m looking after someone else? Perhaps her niece or something?”

 

“She’s the only daughter if I am not wrong. But anyway, good luck with your job, unnie!” Soojung gave another big hug to her sister to cheer up.

 

That night, Wheein went through alot of thinking. She was half-excited and worried about her first day of work. I hope the kid would be nice. Before going to sleep, she drew something on her easel - she had something in her mind, but she couldn’t explain. She drew, drew and drew until it’s almost 3AM. Then the painting turned out to be a sky full of stars. She felt peaceful by just looking at it. Indeed, living on rooftop makes me imagine this kind of scenario.

 

~RING RING~

 

~RING RING~

 

“May I know who is this?” she can hear a male voice coming out of the bell device.

 

“I’m the new nanny, Jung Wheein.”

 

“Oh wait, abit. I’m coming to open the gate for you.”

 

After waiting for a while, she heard a sound of gate opening. A man with similar attire with her came behind the gate, and walked toward Wheein with a smile on his face.

 

“Hi, I’m a butler here. My name is Taehyung, and nice to meet you.” He bowed to her professionally.

 

“Hi, I’m newly hired nanny. My name is Wheein. Jung Wheein. Nice to meet you too.” She bowed back to him.

 

He invited her to come in the mansion, and they walked toward inside the house together.

 

“I will be responsible for showing you around, and introduce you to Mrs. Moon.” Wheein thought to herself if it’s the same Mrs. Moon from yesterday.

 

“Mrs. Moon? I already met her yesterday though.”

 

“Really? But I was looking after her the whole day yesterday.”

 

“She was the one who interviewed me at SM yesterday.” Once Wheein said that, Taehyung showed an understanding nod.

 

“Oh no, it’s not the same person.”

 

Surprised, Wheein couldn’t process all the information at first. What does that mean?

 

Taehyung led Wheein to tour around the house, telling her necessary places that is important during her work. Then he led her to first floor. They stood infront of a room.

 

“So, before we are going in. I want to tell you some expectation.” Taehyung observed Wheein’s reaction; she just simply nodded.

 

“She likes to eat kimchi stew, Kimbab and Strawberry Pancake. But she doesn’t like to eat spicy food at all, nor tolerate at all. Also, she likes going to the park to relax and sometimes she just doze off there. If you ever experience that, please carry her back here. Her mood sometimes is not stable. When she is mad, she could become quite aggressive. So if that happens, console to her that everything is okay and hug her. Do you get all of this?”

 

It was quite alot of information for Wheein to take in, but she decided that she understand for now. She smiled at him and nodded energetically even though she had no clue of who Mrs. Moon was.

 

“That’s the spirit! And hey, if you face any difficulties - just let me know. I’m always here.” Taehyung grinned at me. Cute. But before things got awkward, Wheein suddenly asked.

 

“So am I going to meet her now?”

 

“Yep!” he then knocked the door carefully.

 

“Oh! Actually, I forgot to tell you that you may need to help her take shower. You are okay with that, right?”

 

“Um yes sure.” Wheein was pretty confident that she can help minor to take shower. Not a big deal. Why was he so worried about this.

 

While these two were standing infront of the room, the door opened abit. Wheein saw someone behind the door - someone abit taller than her, and is a woman. Confused.

 

“Byulie nuna. Here’s your new nanny.” Taehyung gave a very big smile to the woman, and she smiled back at him. Confused. What?

 

Taehyung led Wheein inside the room, and properly introduce them together on the sofa near the masterbed. To much surprised, the woman next to her is the person that she need to look after. Wheein still coudn’t process yet. So she is Yongsun’s spouse afterall.

 

“So, I could leave now, and perhaps you guys can talk to each other.” he waved goodbye to Wheein, and left the room quietly.

 

Awkward silence.

 

“You are my new nanny then?” The woman came closer to Wheein who sat on the sofa still. She giggled at Wheein.

 

“Yes I guess so.” Wheein started scratching her head, not sure what to answer exactly.

 

“Nice to meet you, Wheenanny~!”

 

And then the next thing they do was just talking and talking. Byul seemed to talk alot, and sometimes she also asked alot of questions to Wheein. Wheein couldn’t remember how they get comfortable, but it’s already 4 hours since Wheein stayed in that room - just talking to Byul. For the past 4 hours, Byul introduced her 40+ stuffed animals, which are her bestfriends, to Wheein. At first, Wheein thought Byul was just kidding, but then she learned that Byul was being serious. Wheein also came to her own conclusion that Byul has mental disorder based on the way she talked, and the way she acted. Eventually Wheein wondered how Yongsun would sleep on the bed when it’s all covered by the staff animal. She didn’t bother to ask, as it’s not her business to begin with.

 

“It’s 6PM! Time for shower!” Wheein was glad that it’s time for break. Meaning no more talking. Not that Wheein didn’t enjoy talking to her, but they had been talking for hours . . . .about staff animals.

 

“Yes go ahead.” Wheein sat on the sofa and looked at the woman who stood infront of her - frowning at her actually.

 

“You need to stand up and take me to shower, Wheenanny.” Byul looked at Wheein innocently who is having a very full blush right now.

 

What? Take her to shower? How is that even possible? Will her wife be okay with that?

 

“Are you being serious right now?” Wheein just wanted to assure.

 

“Yongsunie said I cannot take shower by myself and need help. It’s the order from my wife.” Byul chuckled at herself when she thought about her perfect wife.

 

“Um wait. I need to go downstair abit. Wait for me here.” Wheein found excuse to leave the room. She needed to ask Taehyung about this. How is this even possible.

 

“Yes, it’s your job.” Taehyung was serious when he replied to the nervous Wheein.

 

“What? Are you serious?” she literally facepalmed herself, and unsure of what to do next.  

 

“You can do it, right?” He asked Wheein back with a curious expression.

 

“But can I do it? I mean will Yongsun unnie be okay with this?”

 

“Well. Actually, the previous nannies were old around 50 to 60 years old. So it wasn’t a big deal. But I guess Yongsun nuna must have trusted you alot, she told me yesterday to let you take Byul nuna to shower. Usually, it’s either nanny or Yongsun nuna herself who do it.”

 

Wheein wasn’t sure what to reply. If this really mean trust, Wheein doesn’t have any.

 

“And Yongsun nuna is flying to New Zealand today, so she can’t be here tonight to help Byul take shower. I guess you don’t have choice anyway.” he started teasing Wheein who looked worried to death.

 

“Heyyy, don’t tease. I’m just trying to assure that this is ok. I don't want to cause my affair to the loving couple.”

 

The next thing Wheein remembered is Byul stood infront of her, and grabbed Wheein's hands to the bathroom. Wheein's jaw dropped at the view, more like shocked. Byul must have loved bubble alot because she kept blowing them at Wheein, and laughed out loud. Wheein who is still blushing also laughed along. How can one be so cute. Wheein tried herself to avoid seeing what she shouldn’t see. She just did the job - spraying the water, adding soap and finding her pajamas to wear for her. God. So uncomfortable.

 

When she checked her watch again, it’s 6:50PM already. Her working hour was supposed to finish since 6:30PM.

 

“Byulie unnie. I am going home now since it’s time. See you again tomorrow.” Wheein packed her bag - ready to leave the place.

 

“You are coming back again tomorrow, right?” Byul looked Wheein with a very soft expression.

 

“Yes sure!” Wheein smiled at her.

 

“Can you cook food for me tomorrow? And can we play in the park instead? I miss sleeping on the grass.” Moonbyul looked at her with a begging expression.

 

“I’ll cook from my home and bring them tomorrow then!” Wheein walked to the door, and she felt a warm presence behind her back. Byul was hugging her tightly.

 

“See you tomorrow, Wheenanny! I’ll be a good girl!”

 

“Alright! See you!” Wheein left the place, and went back to her rooftop studio.

 

She cooked her own dinner, ate and then took shower. Then she reviewed some of her lesson before the morning class came. After 1 hour of review, she opened her laptop - start watching the drama, Goblin, that she had been following for a while. She kept watching the drama until it's almost 12 midnight. Before turning off the light to sleep, she received a message.

 

Checking - it's her bestfriend, Hyejin.

 

“How was your first day at work? Surprised? - Hyejin”

“Interesting. You should’ve told me earlier about Moonbyul unnie’s condition - Wheein”

“If I told you, I’m afraid you are scared to do it, lol! But it’s good you are ok with the job! - Hyejin”

“Yes I am ok. But I feel sad for her. What happened to her? - Wheein”

“Accident happened. But well, hey...don’t fall in love with my boss’s wife LOL she looks hot I admit - Hyejin”

“What the hell, lol. I won’t. - Wheein”

“Ha! Control yourself! - Hyejin”

 

Wheein decided to rest and called it a day. An interesting one.

 

The 2nd day of her work, Wheein tried to cook pancake for Byul as she heard from Taehyung that she liked it. After done cooking, she packed them and ready to go to the mansion. She was greeted by Taehyung once again, he looked brighter today. He was surprised that Wheein came with food. Wheein simply told him about Byul’s request yesterday. Once Wheein was inside the room, she was welcomed by a warm tight hug from Byul - just like yesterday. But Byul seemed to forget what she requested to Wheein. All over again, she started talking about her stuffed animals just like how she did. After an hour, she said she was hungry. So Wheein made her eat what she prepared. Byul was happy to eat the food. Then they both went downstair to the park. As expected, Byul literally slept in the grass, and looked at the sky. At one second, Wheein was jealous of that life where there’s no worry and you can just look at the sky feeling contented. Wheein had to remind herself that everyone born differently. The day ended again after she helped Byul taking shower. Wheein was still not that comfortable yet simply because two female adult standing in the bathroom together, one is . It’s an uncomfortable thought enough.

 

 

The 3rd day of the her work were the same. It’s like she went through the same things over again and again. Again, her stuffed animals. Wheein swore that by now, she already remembered all of their names. Strangely, Wheein wasn’t bored of that. She’s impressed that Byul liked to show her around. Wheein actually looked forward to another day even if it meant to repeat the same things again. It started to become a habit that she always received a hug when she came to work, and left work. Wheein wasn't sure if it's because it's been a long time since she hugged someone, or because Byul naturally had a warm embrace. 

 


The 4th day of her work, Wheein experienced different thing once she set her foot there. Wheein came into the room excited, but only to see Byul was crying on the floor. She kept crying and crying without actually saying anything. Wheein tried to console her, hugged her and patted her. She just didn’t speak out. She cried until she fell asleep. Wheein put her to bed carefully to make sure she wouldn't disturb the older girl. Wheein later found out that Byul was missing her grandfather through her sleep talking. It was sad to see the girl suffer from this. She must have felt lonely because basically she had no one besides Yongsun left. She must had a hard time since Yongsun wasn't here these few days. There was not much going on as Byul directly slept. They spent the day together like that. But she heard from Taehyung that Yongsun is coming back today, so she won’t have to worry about missing the shower time. As Wheein walked out of the room, she noticed a familiar figure walked on the same floor but to the other side. It was Yongsun. Wheein was about to call her, but the woman was entering another room. Wheein raised her eyebrows, but once again, perhaps it’s something personal - and she definitely didn’t want to in. Perhaps Yongsun just visited that room for particular reason. 

 

 

Within a blink, it's already been one month. The only things we spent time together was either inside her room or in the park. It was actually not that safe to go out in the public as Byul might be not comfortable in that environment, nor she could get lost. Wheein was also not confident about that. They only can imagine and talked about going out. Byul had alot of place in her mind - Amusement Park, Shopping Mall, Restaurant and Karaoke. Byul also learned that Wheein's family own a strawberry farm - she even showed her interest that she wanted to go there and harvest the strawberry too. Only if Byul is ordinary, they could have been there just like normal people do. Other than talking about going out, they also had new activities indoor together. Wheein taught Byul how to draw and paint. It was a mess at first, but Byul enjoyed doing it. Eventually, Byul started drawing on the ceiling, the floor, her closet and the door. So it's a mess still. However, Wheein enjoyed seeing Byul try doing various things other than just staying with her stuffed animal. 

 

"I wish one day, Byul unnie get to experience amusement park." Wheein blurted out to Taehyung once while they were cooking for Byul together.

 

The idea was heard to Taehyung, and he actually supported the idea of letting Byul experience outside. He had observed and seen that Byul had become abit stable (not much emotional breakdown anymore) as Wheein was there to take care of her timely especially when she thought of her grandfather. Seeing a great improvement, he eventually talked to Yongsun about it and about letting Byul visit amusement park, and Yongsun agreed to let Byul visit Amusement Park with her nanny. On the side note, Yongsun was relieved from work load, especially she can just focus on her work - so related to Byul, she gave full control for Taehyung to decide from time to time. 

 

 

Upon hearing the exciting news from Taehyung, Wheein couldn't hide her happiness and tell Byul all about it. The moment she told Byul, she actually jumped around and couldn't control her excitement. It's going to be fun.

 

 

On that day, they both and Taehyung went together to Lotte World Theme Park. Wheein decided that it was also much safer to take Taehyung with them - so that if anything happen, he can protect them. Once arrive there, Byul was so excited to see all the rides. As expected, they could only ride normal things even though Byul begged so much to try extreme ride, but both Wheein and Taehyung knew that it is not the best choice, and even they were scared of that. They were able to ride normal things like Merry-go-round.

 

It was kid ride, but it made Taehyung dizzy, so he didn't want to continue the ride. He just waited for them when they took any ride. The last ride Wheein and Byul took was Ferris Wheel. Byul was excited to take the ride as it's at night time, and the view would be perfect.  

 

"I'm glad Yongsun let me come here! This is the best part of getting married!"

 

"Unnie, the best part if when you get to marry the person you love - not because they let you go to Amusement Park." Wheein girl. 

 

"Yes I love her, but I'm also glad that she let me come here!" Byul smiled at Wheein clumsily.

 

"Unnie, you should also appreciate the fact that you get to wake up seeing your loved with you every morning, and seeing her the last one before you sleep."

 

"is that what Love it? then I am in love! I do get to see her everytime we have breakfast and dinner together!"

 

"No no I mean bed! don't you sleep in the same room as you got married?" Wheein questioned, but she didn't put much attention in the answer. Simply because spouse share room in general.

 

"Does love mean we have to sleep on the same bed? but she has her own room, and I have my own room!"

 

"oh..."

 

Wheein was taken back by the answer, but there realized that Yongsun and Moonbyul are married by title only. They don't share room like typical couple do. The puzzle fit together so well, and that's why she saw Yongsun the other way entering different room, and it also explained why Moonbyul was able to sleep on the bed full of stuffed animals without any extra space. But she did not wish to conclude that Yongsun didn't care about Byul. Perhaps, she is just a busy business woman who haven't had time yet. It's their family affair, and the last thing Wheein wanted to do was to involve in that. She just Felt bad.

 

Yongsun was sitting the room, waiting anxiously for her most important person to come in. He was finally here. She missed him alot. She wished she could hug him tightly, but she cannot. Prison cell was between them.

 

"Dad, I miss you too." She sobbed at him, and she couldn't control her emotion.

 

"My daughter, stay strong! you have worked hard so far! Just hang in here. We can be together again soon." He looked at her fondly, almost want to wipe her tears.

 

"Yes dad. It will happen soon." she gave him a hopeful smile with tear in her eyes.

 

The day they were waiting for is happening soon. It's only matter of time.

 


"If you're with her and you wish you were elsewhere then leave. One of the cruellest things you can do to a person is make them feel like home when to you they are only temporary. We all deserve adoration and undistracted attention. We all deserve to feel complete. If you can't give her your whole heart, then don't you dare hold hers hostage." - Beau Taplin | The Hostage