Chapter 1

Say You Won't Let Go

"Jung Wheein?"

 

"Come to help me harvesting the strawberry! Uncle Jin will come to pick them up at 3PM." Mrs. Jung called for her elder daughter who immersed in her painting in the barn house's proch near her very own strawberry farm. She sat in that spot painting on her easel for the whole morning that day.

 

“Yes, umma! I am going now.” Wheein replied happily once she heard the calling from her mother, and left her painting in her cozy barn house running toward her mother with a big smile on her face. 

 

The petite black-hair with chopped bang girl is Jung Wheein. Wheein is 23 years old, the elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jung who own a strawberry farm in Jeonju. Growing up as farmer’s daughter and a farmer herself, she never really complains about her life and struggle compared to her spoiled little sister, Jung Soojung, who is just one year younger than her. Her sister though take a different path from Wheein; she is now a trainee in one of the biggest company in South Korea, SM Entertainment. Therefore, there's only Wheein's parents and her are living together in Jeonju. 

 

When Wheein was born, her family wasn’t so well off - they could only be able to get financial source from the strawberry farm alone. The struggle became even harder after her younger sister was born as the couple needed to work double harder to support their children to get enough basic living, not to mention education. That's one of the core reason why Wheein never complain about her life as she witnessed the whole struggle her family went through since she was young. There's time when she saw other kids be able to have brand new clothes or new materials, she never felt wavered and jealous toward those materials at all. 

 

By the age of 8, Wheein started helping the family business already by physically planting the strawberry,  watering them and harvesting them by herself. She loved sharing the burden even if she was young back then. She loved doing all of those work. Her sister was different, she never laid her hands on the farm - not step on mud or anything. Soojung was well-taken care of by her parents and her sister. Studying and helping her parents were things she totally loved to do everyday, repeating all the same time over and over again. 

 

By the age of 12, her family condition started to become better from all of those hardworking. It did pay off at the end. Wheein wasn’t only a good daughter, but also a good student. She never missed any classes, and on top of that, she would get high score receiving praise from her teachers all the time. Actively participated in class, she also helped other students in their homework, and even their study performance. She was selected as a class president many times during her middle school period. 

 

By the age of 18, Wheein graduated from high school with honor in the town. She was able to give a speech infront of the other students, and theie parents. Everyone was proud of her, and they admired her parents for having such an outstanding daughter. Wheein was aspired to learn more, to do more and to achieve more. However, she always keep her feet on the ground. She was aware of the family's capacity.

 

"Unnie, I want to be a kpop star." Soojung expressed her dream to her older sister at one night when Wheein was making the bed to sleep with her sister. However, that didn’t surprise Wheein at all. Throughout these years, she noticed that Soojung really love watching TV, especially during idol segment - she followed them by singing and dancing along. 

 

"But you are ugly." Wheein teased Soojung. In Wheein’s eyes, Soojung is the most beautiful person ever. She believe that Soojung does have the potential to grow further despite the fact that Wheein is the type of tsundere sister, and she never expressed it out to her sister.

 

"I can always get surgery done though." Soojung spoke back honestly with giggle.

 

"Idiot. I was joking. You are beautiful. Don't let surgery define who you are.” Wheein poked her sister’s head, and kissed her forehead, “If somebody says you are ugly, poke their eyes and say they are blind."

 

At that night, Wheein couldn't sleep at all. She went through a lot of thinking. She really wanted to support Soojung’s dream; however, finance is the issue. Her family may be doing well right now, but they couldn’t support both daughter at heavy cost at the same time - university and living in Seoul. The training cost was also quite a big deal back then. Plus, Wheein would feel bad to let them invest in her study alone. There could be a better way. 

 

The next day, she talked to her parents about it as if she understood that Soojung probably couldn’t be able to persuade her parents alone. She convinced her parents to send Soojung to Seoul, so that she can continue her dream. She also convinced them not to worry about manpower in the business as Wheein would be staying with them - help taking charge of the business. Though at the back of her mind, she dropped her dream of studying to support her family instead. 

 

By the following year, Soojung finished her high school then moved to Seoul to continue her dream. The reason how Soojung was able to join in such big company was also the help from Wheein’s bestfriend, Hyejin.

 

Hyejin had the same age as Wheein, but she’s different in personality and aspiration in life. Hyejin was not a good student as Wheein, but she is a prodigy in music - making her casted by SM to be a music composer & lyricist at the age of 18 as they saw her work on social media. Hyejin wanted to travel the world, make music, and live in the modern lifestyle. On the other hand, Wheein just wanted to live with her family and support them in their strawberry farm business.  

 

After 18, Wheein solely focused on helping the family business, at the same time, she also discovered another hobby: painting arts. Painting makes her mind peaceful, calm and happy. On top of that, her family business is doing great right now and she decided to build a barn house next to the farm and her parents’ house - living by herself because she needed space. If there’s no harvestment work to do, she’d stay in her barn house painting all day long. Just once in awhile, she would go out to the town to catch up with her friends.

 

It has been 4 years since Soojung went to Seoul, and it’s also exactly 4 years Wheein last saw Soojung physically. Her parents talked to Soojung and told her to come visit once awhile, but Soojung seemed to be busy in her trainee life - plus she is working part-time as lyricist to support her own living expense, as well as develop another talent. Apparently, she learned to compose lyric from none other than one and only Hyejin, now also known as Hwasa - a new name she used in her profession in SM. 

 

"Soojungie?" Wheein hang up her phone with smile after she saw her sister name appeared on it. Throughout these 4 years, Soojung usually talked to Wheein, especially she didn't dare to complain or cry when she was upset about her tough trainee life. Wheein was a dependable sister that Soojung would rather express her feeling to because Soojung knew that Wheein would listen when no one else would. Last week, Wheein received a great news from Soojung that she would be making a debut this year. 

 

"No, I'm not Soojung. I am Krystal of F(x), the future girlgroup that dominates the World." Only if Soojung was really here, Wheein would have smacked her head for denying her real name teasingly. 

 

"Who gave you this name? I bet mom and day won't be able to call our your so-called new name at all." Wheein complained as she found it hard to pronoune the new name her sister mentioned. 

 

"Dear sister, it's in English. It's a very nice name. Well fact is, it's Hyejin unnie who give me this name - she said it represents my real name as well." Wheein can almost see Soojung smiled via the phone with happiness behind her voice.

 

"Next time, I'll make sure to blame her for influencing western culture to you." she heard her sister laugh, and she laughed along too. 

 

"Anyway, unnie. Do you want to come to Seoul? Actually, our company are looking for manager - and perhaps, I think you can be here with me if you take the job! At the same time, you could also continue your study here as well. This is a one way ticket I am offering, unnie!" For a minute, Wheein imagined herself moving there, being able to stay with her sister and studying in university. The idea was still blur to her, but it doesn't scare her 

 

"Yah! I don't know what I did in my past life to have a sister like you, and now you are asking me to be your servant again? I'd rather be there." Wheein tried to make a joke out of situation.  

 

Little did she know, Soojung privately talked on phone with her mom the next day, and discussed with her mom to send Wheein to Seoul, so that she can find herself - her passion over here. Soojung was always grateful for a fact that Wheein had sacrificed herself for her, and it's time for her to pay back - making her sister live in a dream also. Although her idea of having Wheein as manager was a joke to pull on her sister only.

 

Her mom bought the idea of sending Wheein to Seoul. 

 

After helping her mother to harvest the strawberry, Wheein went to relax near the lake of her barn house. Her mother approached her from behind. Lightly tapped on her head, her mom started. “Wheein, what do you think about continuing your study?”

 

Surprised by sudden news from her mom, Wheein replied with frowning eyebrows. “Suddenly why mom?”

 

“Well, our business is doing really well now compared to before. I mean we have enough financial support for you to continue your study in Seoul.” Her mom gave her a very warm smile, and another hand on her shoulder.

 

“It’s been awhile since I last thought about my future, mom. I’m not sure if I still want it or not. Plus I am happy here. I don't know what other happiness I am looking for, or want anymore.” Wheein shrugged off. To be honest, Wheein forgot what dream she used to have, and what she wanted to achieve before. Day went by so fast, and it's been 5 years already. Wheein only remembered her time spending on the strawberry farm itself. 

 

Without hesitation, her mom continue to motivate her “I’ve been thinking that it’s good for you to continue your study. I want you to live your life different from us - not just in a farm. I believe you can do so much more, darling. Plus, you can also take care of your sister while you are there too. That little brat needs reminder that she does have family too.” Her mom frowned at the thought of her little sister forgetting the family.

 

Silence filled in for awhile, then Wheein broke it off. “I guess I will check the opportunity first and what kind of major I would be interested in.” Wheein couldn’t help but agree. Maybe it doesn’t hurt to try something different in her life. 

 

By the next 3 days, Wheein went to her parents - informing them her decision to challenge herself. She decided to enroll in Bachelor of Arts as for now, she is interested in art while her talent is painting is already a bonus for the major.

 

By the next 2 weeks, she found herself standing in her studio in Seoul. Wheein is a very aesthetic person, and her taste is different from other people. She decided to rent a rooftop on one apartment, 3 block away from SM where Soojung stayed. The rooftop was plain at first, but as Wheein moved in - she decorated her studio by herself - making them looking modern than ever. She's now happy to live here, but she knew that she needed to find a part-time job - so that she can start saving more rather than just studying and sleeping. 

 

She made a phone call. "Hyejin-ah, I am here! I already enrolled in the university. Do you know how can I apply in that manager job for Soojung?" 


 

*     *    *    *    *    *    *


 

Sitting in CEO office of SM Entertainment, a slender woman with long black hair didn’t seem to sit still on the sofa. She kept looking with pout face at another woman with long wavy brunette hair who is sitting at the CEO table. 

 

“Moonbyul wants to go home! Let’s leave now! It’s boring here.” The slender woman started shouting at the another woman with tears in her eyes that are about to burst out anytime soon.

 

“I told you 5 minutes ago, and 10 minutes ago already. I still need to finish my job.” The other woman has a very serious tone, and her eyes were still fixed on the documents on her table. “If you are bored, just sleep on the sofa then.”

 

“Wake me up when we go back home then.” The slender woman decided to sleep instead of doing nothing in the boring office. “Good night, wife.” it’s her last remark before she travel to her wonderland. It's been a very dull day for her. 

 

The other woman didn’t seem to pay any attention as she still just focused at her documents. She can hear stomach growling already. It’s almost 2PM, and she really needs lunch to have energy to continue her work again.  

 

The woman sleeping on the sofa is Moon Byulyi. Moonbyul is 25 years old by age, and she’s the only heiress of The Moon Family. The Moon Family’s business is one of the top entertainment company in South Korea, SM Entertainment. The business is indeed very successful. The only tragic thing is there’s no pipeline directly from The Moon Family to manage the business.

 

Moonbyul’s grand father was the late CEO of SM, and recently, he passed away due to his old age. Moonbyul’s parents left her when she was 10 because of a car accident. Moonbyul also had another bloodline to depend on, her brother - Minseok who is 3 years older than her. Minseok never wanted to involve in the business as he never got along with his grand father since he was young. Minseok was very cold toward the family, and he left South Korea 8 years ago to live in the U.S creating his own business over there. Therefore, there’s only Moonbyul left, and her so-called wife, Kim Yongsun. While for now, Yongsun is the proxy CEO in SM as they need someone capable to take lead. 

 

When Moonbyul was born, her family was so rich already because of the strong business. Moonbyul always got what she wanted regardless of what it takes - as it’s how she was nurtured by her grand father. The Moon Family held so much power not only to SM, but also to other business partners. Despite of having so much power, there's also people who tried to take her grand father for granted. There's only few amount of people that her grand father would trust, one of them is Mr. Kim - CFO in SM back then. Mr. Kim was a diligent and hardworking person that her grand father really appreciate to have. Mr. Kim was a single father, and he had only one daughter who is Kim Yongsun. This was how Moonbyul and Yongsun get to meet each other. 

 

By the age of 8, she was a very outstanding, witty and bright kid. No one could fool her to take advantage. She always topped her score in study, and always be the honored students in her private high-class school. Aside from school, she would usually meet up with Yongsun in SM. Moonbyul really liked Yongsun a lot from a very young age. She liked Yongsun’s genuine smile.

 

By the age of 12, Moonbyul suffered alot. One fine day, she went on a trip with her parents to Jeju. In a blink, everything was gone - they got into a major car accident. Her parents didn’t make it, but she made it - barely. Waking up from coma state for 3 months, Moonbyul suffered from intellectual disability. Moonbyul didn't act like her age anymore. She can become very moody, aggressive, shy, silent, and illogical. The damage costed a lot to The Moon Family, especially to her grand father. He lost his only son, daughter-in-law and barely have his granddaughter with him.

 

By the age of 15, Moonbyul was expelled from her school. She got reported for pushing her friend off the stair - breaking her friend's leg. The school director was very closed with her grandfather, but he was afraid that he could no longer cover Moonbyul’s track. He suggested that Moonbyul shall be homeschooled instead - so that she couldn’t cause other damage to other students. Her grandfather did his best to bribe the school, but at the end, it still not worked because of the risk that Moonbyul potentially could cause. He became very worried and anxious, especially for who would need to inherit from his successful business. 

 

By the age of 18, Moonbyul told her grand father that she wanted to marry with Yongsun from The Kim Family. The news got her grand father caught off guard too, but he couldn’t just force his only precious grand daughter to marry some guy. In that year, her grand father found out that his favorite employee, Mr. Kim, stole alot of money from SM - he was very mad at Mr. Kim for breaking his trust. He sued Mr. Kim to go to prison - end up sentence him for 30 years plus. Her grand father threatened Mr. Kim to let Yongsun marry Moonbyul, or Yongsun would be ended up staying on the street as she was only living with her father - once he was in prison, there's no one to take care of her. Mr. Kim didn't really have any choice, but to let his daughter marry and go in The Moon Family. Mr. Kim though could already see that one day, Yongsun would hold power in SM as there's no one could manage the business at the end. That's why he agreed.  

 

Yongsun were very numb from everything. She was only 18, she lose her father - yet she had to marry someone. She was a great student, she had a great future - yet it seemed like her future was already decided, and there’s no compromise in that. She used to like Moonbyul as a friend, but because of that incident, she looked at Moonbyul differently. Seeing Yongsun as great asset for SM, Mr. Moon invested alot of money to let Yongsun study in proper university and even in master degree - because he saw her as his only successor, not his disabled grand daughter. He thought Yongsun would be different from her father. As a wife, Yongsun needed to take care of Moonbyul as the girl couldn’t do most of things by herself, and needed alot of attention. However, Yongsun had different intention after all. She spent time visiting her father in prison - gradually got influenced from her father. She would complain things to her father when she was unhappy with her married life, more of baby sitting life. He told her to stay patient - one day, they will have everything together. 

 

Moonbyul loved Yongsun because of her smile. But she never noticed that Yongsun’s smile is never the same, it was faded gradually as time passed by. Even now, Yongsun could barely smile at Moonbyul anymore.

 

Present Day

Yongsun’s life in this week was a hell. The maid for Moonbyul was fired because Moonbyul didn’t like her anymore. Therefore, there’s no one to look after Moonbyul rather Yongsun herself this week. She really needs another person to babysit Moonbyul. However, Moonbyul's condition was always confidential within the company. No one besided the Management Team were aware about this, as it could affect the company's image. 

 

"Can I go in?" Yongsun could see a woman in short hair peeked in. Yongsun was quite happy to see woman as she's one of the favorite composer in SM. 

 

"Come in, Hwasa-ssi!" Hwasa then walked in, and handed in another document. 

 

"Here's all the songs I composed for f(x) debut album! The visual team told me it's great, and also the production team - only I need to ask final approval from you, unnie." Hwasa smiled at the woman infront of her. 

 

"Well, everyone trusted you including me, so here's my decision." Yongsun didn't even bother to check the document, but quickly signed on the last paper. "Good job for working on f(x) debut so quick."

 

"My pleasure, unnie." Hwasa was about to go out, but then she noticed something. "Unnie, are you ok? You don't seem okay." 

 

"Remember what I told you this morning? The last nanny resigned because she couldn't manage to take care of Byul anymore. I don't know how long it will take find another maid now." Yongsun looked stressful, and Hwasa then thought of something - but she wasn't sure if it's the best idea. 

 

"I have a bestfriend who is available though. She is Krystal's older sister actually, and she thought of taking the job to be f(x) manager. but perhaps, if you really need, she could take the nanny job first."

 

"Can we meet her tomorrow then?" 

 

Hwasa came out of the CEO office happily, and made the phone call to her bestfriend immediately "yah! you don't have to be f(x) manager yet, I have another better opportunity instead that really need your help."

 

"What's it?"

 

"It's nanny."

 

"Nanny? But I never experience in looking after kid. I almost killed Soojung before when she was young and acted all princess."

 

"Well . . . the person you need to look after is not really a kid - but not exactly not a kid too. Hard to explain, come to SM at 2PM tomorrow."