By Our Hearts

BTS One Shot ~

     I blew my new black-painted nails to dry them off. My lips curved in satisfaction looking at how the nails shined when the light from the pendaflour reflected on them. Her gaze shifted on her ringing phone right next to her. She wrapped her fingers around it and held it onto her ear.
     “Ryn, darling! Are you coming?” Hani asked.
     “Of course! Why would I miss the night?”
     “How about your parents?”
     I rolled my eyes.
     “Eff them. Imma still goin’,” I sneered.
     “Good! The party is about to start. Guess what? All of the hotties are already here!” she exclaimed excitedly.
     “Nice! Wait for me to make their eyes wide open,”
     “That’s my girl! I’ll wait for you, Ryn. See ya!”
     She hanged up the call.
     I looked myself in the mirror. Black crop top and pair of high-waisted black mini denim, red ribbon choker, with black and red high heels. My bold red lips smiled cheekily. I let my purple-highlighted wavy hair untied and rested it on my back.
    Ready to go.
    I stepped down the stairs and walked towards the door. A voice stopped me from opening the door.
    “Stop right there, young woman,”
    My eyes rolled and my mouth let out a heavy, annoyed sigh. With my arms crossing, I turned to my back and gazed onto my mother with a sharp look.
    “What?”
    She shook her head.
    “‘What?’ You could say to me like that?”
    I could see her look with disbelief when she saw me nodded.
    “It’s already 11.30 p.m. and where are you going with these ty outfit?”
    I snickered by hearing the word ‘’ spitted of .
    “I’m going to the library to study. See what I am holding here? Books,” I said with my hand lifted my purse in the air.
    “Of course I’m going to a party, mom! Where else will I go with this TY outfit?”
    “DON’T BE RUDE, RYN!”
    Our gazes engaged. The air was becoming more tensed. One of the corner of my lips lifted up, smirking devilishly at her. After giving her a wave, I turned back to the door and twisted the doorknob open.
    “How can she be like this? Who taught her? Oh my god, she’s so stubborn! I don’t know why I still raising a kid like her,”
    I was about to step away when her voice suddenly echoed into my ears. I withdrew a step then turned to her with my hand still on the knob.
    “Mom, if you want to kick me out or throw me away from the family. Just effing do it. Stop complaining and whispering in your heart about me and also stop asking who made me like this. Of course you’re the one who made me like this because you’re an effing too, also the reason why dad left us,”
    She blinked in confusion to her sudden confession.
    “Did you… Did you… hear me?”
    I rolled my eyes, again.
    “All these years, mom. All these effing years,”
    …
    I was on my way to the party in my car. The tears that formed on my eyes, I tried to them in. I couldn’t cry now or my makeup would be ruined.
    Yes, I was hurt by mother’s words. Even though I had heard them almost tons of times, I still hurt by them. This was one of the pain and burden received by me, the girl who could read people’s heart. But, that’s an advantage to me. I could know if that people were sincere to me or not, if they were badmouthing about me secretly, or if they were lying. I could hear everything what they said inside.
    But, the downfall was, I would get hurt with all the words I heard. And, the more painful was, I could not get mad of them for the words I heard, because they would know that I had this ability. And, the effect of that, I had no friends. Hani? Much more like close acquaintance. She was also one of the fake es that always talked about me behind me. Why I was still be friends with her? Because, trust me, you could not live if you had no acquaintances in college. So, fake friends would do.
    I guessed.
    I had no one to trust. To lean on. To have support. To give me support. Even my mother hated me. I just got… no one.
    “I wanted to die for so long,”
    My leg pushed the brake pedal, making my car stopped eventually. My eyes were wide opened to hear the sudden whisper.
    “Finally, the time is now,”
    My heart beated rapidly. What did I just hear? Should I do something or not? Should I search for the voice’s owner? But, I was already late for the party. What should I do?
    “I’ll end my life here,”
    Hold on there, bro. Imma search for you. Don’t do anything. Just stay there. I’m coming.
    She parked her car at the side. She went out of the car and her eyes wandered all over the place. Her gaze caught a silhouette of (probably) a guy standing in front of the lake beside her.
    “HEY! HEY MISTER! STOP RIGHT THERE!” I exclaimed with my index finger pointing out to the guy. I stepped forward but then fell on my knees as the pointy heels were dipped into the wet moist ground. I grunted in annoy. With barefoot, I left my heels behind and quickly ran to the guy. When I arrived right in front of him, his eyes were already on me, blinking confusingly.
     “Hey, you, over there…” I said while panting and both of my hands on my hips.
     “What are you trying to do?”
     “Can you read people’s heart?”
     I stopped panting for air, when his question made me gasped in shock. I fixed my posture and gazed sharply onto his figure. His purple hair shined as the moonlight reflected on it. He was so tall as I had to look up on him. He was a good looking guy. And, yeah he was. That pair of y lips on him really suited him well.
     “Can you read people’s heart?”
     His sudden question snapped me back into the reality. I shook my head a little and back to focus on him.
     “Why are you asking me that question? Don’t you think reading people’s heart is absurd?” I tried not to spill the beans.
     “No, I don’t think that’s an absurd thing, because…” suddenly he cut his words
     “I can read people’s heart, too,” he whispered.
     Is he lying?

     “No, I’m not. I literally can hear you,”
     I gasped in shock with both of my palms covering my mouth, trying not to shout. My eyes were wide opened and eyeing on him. Both of my eyebrows rose.
     Oh my god, did we just telepathy?
     “Yes, we ARE telepathing,”
     “I know that you are like me when I heard your voice, telling me to stay here and not to do anything,”
he started the conversation.
     “Exactly. I mean. What are you trying to do actually? You’re not trying to commit suicide, right?”
     He lowered his gaze then shifted back his gaze onto the lake.
     “I want to,”
     He started to step forward but I succeeded to hold a grip of his arm. He turned to his back to face me with his puffy, tearful eyes. I shook my head.
     No, don’t do this. Let’s have a talk before you doing weird things again, shall we?
     “I have nothing to talk. My decision is conclusive,”
     Come on! For a person with that was born with the same ability as yours, I probably can understand you! Don’t do stupid things, do you? You’re a grown up guy! Use your effing brain!

     He remained silent. With all the strength that I gathered, I pulled him as far as I could from the lake. My ankle heel touched on the muddy ground, making my to fall on the ground hard. I groaned in agony with my palm caressing my . He, without me asking to, sat down right beside me.
     “Tell me why I should live in this world, when there’s no one wants to stand beside me, to love me, to appreciate me in this world. Even my family never wanted me to exist in their lives,”
     My face turned to him. His eyes were still on the lake. Slowly, and gently, my palm touched his back and tapped it carefully.
     “I heard all of their sayings. Especially my friends’. They said I cheated in exam just because I got all good in my papers. I was framed and bullied just because I am not that rich, like them. My family said I was an unfortunate to them. Even though they didn’t say it by their mouths, but they said it by their hearts,”
     Looking at how he complained about his life to me, he looked just like a five-years-old boy who didn’t get his ice cream. Even though, I was confident, that he’s probably older than me, he looked just like a baby to me.
     What a cute boy.
     “I’m sorry?”

     I blinked, then I just realized what my heart whispered just now. I shook my head.
     No. No. Nothing. Do you have anything more to add?
     “For now, maybe, no,”

     I cleared my throat, even though I was not going to speak with my mouth.
     I know it’s hard for you to endure everything by yourself. But, you have to think that this is not the way to settle your problems down. This way may vanish all of your problems, but it will vanish your life, too. You life is not a problem, but problems attack your life. Remember, you may think that you’re the only guy or person to have this kind of disaster in life. But, trust me, there’s more out there that have the same thing, or even worse, than yours.
     Like me.

     His gaze met mine right away. Our gazes engaged to each other for the next five minutes without a word uttered by our mouths or even our hearts. I didn’t know why, I could not resist that gaze.
     By the way, what’s your name?
     “Namjoon. Kim Namjoon,”
     Good to know, from now on, you, Namjoon, and me, Marilyn can be friends.
     “Who’s the foreigner? Your mom or your dad?”
     My dad. A British.
     “No wonder.”
     What? No wonder what?
     “You’re beautiful,”

     My lips curved sweetly.
     You’re handsome, too.
     “Ok, now what? A complimenting competition?”

     I let out a sneer while he chuckled.
     Feel better?
     “Yeah, kinda,”
     Don’t do stupid things again. Committing to suicide is not a small matter. Even though if you’ll be dead, you won’t die peacefully.
     “How about you?”
     Huh?
     “You said you were ‘like me’. What’s your story, then?”

     I smiled weakly.
     Probably same as yours. But, I’m not a good child, like you. I don’t perform in my studies. I have tons of fake friends. And a fake mom, too. Mentally, not physically. She was still the one who once giving birth to me.
     “You just had a fight with your mom?”
     Had a fight? We NEVER been good to each other. I inherited the stubborn from my mother, if you want to know.
     “Oh, I see,”
     But, I realize, that I’m the one who like to get on her nerves first. Just look at me. By my outfit, you can see that I’m a wild girl,

     His eyes wandered on me from head to toe, then back to my eyes.
     “But, I’m sure your heart is not this wild,”
     One of my eyebrow rose.
     “Your appearance is wild and cold. Maybe because you want to show that you’re a tough girl who doesn’t want people to see even a second of you being weak, but, the fact is, you’re just protesting and rebelling everything to be tough and strong while you are sensitive and emotionally hurt in your heart,”
      I remained in silence.
      “You have a good, sincere, beautiful heart. Because if you don’t, you won’t be here, comforting a guy from committing suicide, am I right?”
     I smiled, again. My heart was moved by his words.
     “Do you know why I preferred to speak by my heart rather than by my mouth?”
     Why?
     “Because words that are spoken by heart are more sincere and true than the ones spoken by mouth,”
     True.

     We stared into each other’s eyes again, for the next, I didn’t know, 10 minutes at least? I knew it was so randomly, but at least, I found someone in common. Realizing that the night was becoming older and time was ticking away, I lifted my wrist to take a look on my watch. My eyes opened wide when the shorter needle almost pointing the number ‘1’.
     “I gotta go. My mom probably gonna kill me,” I tried to get off from the ground. But, I failed. Every time I tried to push myself up, a pain struct in my left heel, making me groaned painfully.
     I lifted my face to face him who was already on both of his feet. I shook pitifully.
     “I think I have to go back all the way home barefooted,” I chuckled lifelessly.
     Out of sudden, I felt myself hanging in the air. He took me off the ground with carrying me bridal style to my car at the side. Both of my arms were wrapped to his neck. The gap between my face and his was so close, made myself hard or literally could not breath.
     He put me into the passenger seat and my pair of high heels down. Then, he got into the car.
     “I’ll drive you home,” he said.
     “Then, how about you…?”
     He spoke nothing. He the engine. Suddenly, he got on his seat and moved closer to me. I breathed in deeply, when his chest was resting right in front of my face. He pulled the seat belt and buckled it for me.
     “Th… Thanks,”
     The journey was silent. I mean, really, really silent. We didn’t turn the radio on. There’s no conversation. It was just the sound of wind resisting and me showing him the way to my home. We arrived right in front of my bungalow after about half an hour. I opened the car door and stepped a foot out. I was about to step another one out when he came and carried me again.
     I gazed on his face focusly, looking at how his face could be this flawless, his lips could be so y, his features could be so perfect.
     Thanks.
     He turned to face me, making the gap between our faces reeeeeeeeeeeal close.
     “Thanks to you, too,”
     The door creaked open. Both of us, in jinx, turned sharply to the door. My mom appeared with tear streaming down by her cheeks heavily.
     “My daughter!”
     “Hey… Mom…” I greeted, awkwardly, still in his grip.
     Mom, who was crying, shifted her gaze to Namjoon.
     “Who’s this guy, Ryn-ah?”
     “Madam. Thanks to your daughter, I am still alive. She is a life saver, did you know that?”
     “Oh! My daughter saved your life?”
     Namjoon nodded.
     Lol, what are you telling my mother?
     “Erm, the truth?”

     “Mom, can we come in first? He probably feels tired right now, carrying me,”
     “Oh! Of course! Of course! Come in, please,”
     Mom left us alone in the living room by ourselves after me persuading her to go to her bed. I told her that I could treat my hurt heel by myself.
     “You should stay here for tonight. It’s too late,” I said.
     “Well, okay then. Is it okay for me to sleep here?” he tapped the pillow on the sofa numerously.
     “Of course,”
     I tried to lift my from the sofa, but, again, I failed. Namjoon caught me keep failing to get up.
     “Can you please just ask for my help?”
     I ended up arrive onto my bed by the help of Namjoon a.k.a Mr. NeverGetTiredToCarryMe. He, gently, put me onto my bed and tucked me in the blanket and comforter, like a father tucking his daughter to bed.
     “Don’t treat me like a kid,”
     “Why can’t I?”
     He kissed me on the forehead, which made me startled.
     “That’s a good night kiss kids always receive from their parents before going to bed, innit?”
     “You’re not my father,”
     “Well, that’s right,”
     He walked back from the door to me and bent over. Unexpectedly, our lips met for a few seconds before him lifting his face back. I blinked in confusion and my cheeks were getting warmer.
     “That’s a good night kiss a girl like you always receive from her boyfriend, right?”
     Our eyes kept on each other for awhile.
     Is that a sincere and true statement?
     I spoke that by my heart, darling.