Last Goodbye

Will last forever

Seungcheol didn't see it coming but he knew what was happening. They were falling apart but he never knew that it would end so soon. He loves him. He loves Jeonghan but for some reason, he felt that their relationship wasn't working anymore. Though, Seungcheol was willing to fight for them to work again.

They were fine. Well, that's what Seungcheol thinks. Until the last few days where him and Jeonghan rarely talk. They both excused themselves from meeting each other because they were busy. 

All of a sudden, at a sunn sunday morning, Jeonghan called him to Pledis Cafe, the place where they usually meet up. Seungcheol immediately dressed himself and drove to the cafe. 

He found Jeonghan sitting at their usual table near the window. He was looking out. Jeonghan was probably observing the people that passes by the window. Seungcheol wanted to smile at the sight of Jeonghan's beauty highlighted by the sunlight passing through the huge glass window. For some reason, Seungcheol cannot bring himself to smile. Instead he stood frozen at the cafe's entrance.

He has a bad feeling about this meet up. 'Calm down, Cheol. It's alright.' He told himself before he starts walking to their table quietly. Jeonghan caught him in his peripheral view so the bob-haired male turned his head towards his approaching boyfriend.

Jeonghan gave him a small smile. "Hey, you're here." Jeonghan said.

Seungchel nodded as he sat across his partner, face blank. He was freaking out deep inside but he needs to keep it cool. He doesn't want Jeonghan to worry so he kept a poker face. "Yeah, so why did you call me here?" asked Seungcheol.

"I wanted to talk."

"About what?"

Jeonghan's smile faded. He looked out at the window again before looking down at his lap. Seungcheol sensed Jeonghan's uneasiness. The latter kept quiet and so did Seungcheol. There was silence between them which made Seungcheol very nervous...and awkward. None of them tried to break the silence until Seungcheol had enough.

"Jeonghan what's-" 

"Let's end this." Jeonghan said, with no emotions at all. He was looking down at his hand, playing with his fingers while Seungcheol stare at him in absolute disbelief. 

Seungcheol couldn't find words to say. He felt everything around him stop. No, it's not like when he first met Jeonghan. Everything around him stopped.....and shattered this time. 

"W-What? Why?" Seungcheol managed to mumble. 

"I'm sorry." Jeonghan apologized.

"No, Jeonghan. Tell me why." Seungcheol found the courage to demand. He wants answers. Jeonghan couldn't just throw away their 4 years of relationship....right? "Jeonghan, are you pranking me? P-Please tell me you are." 

Jeonghan looked at him with teary eyes. Seungcheol forced himself to smile, "Jeonghan I know you like tricking people but this one isn't funny anymore." 

The bob haired male sighed, "Seungcheol, i'm not pranking you. I'm sorry but we have to end this." said Jeonghan, keeping himself from crying. Jeonghan wanted to cry but he held himself back. "This is the end Seungcheol." 

Oh, you don't know how hard Seungcheol held his tears back. "Y-You're not kidding?" 

Jeonghan only shook his head. "I'm sorry, Seung-" The latter didn't let Jeonghan finish his apology. Instead he stormed out of the cafe. Jeonghan watched as Seungcheol leave. He stared at the door even after Seungcheol went out and he let those tears that he fought back fall from his teary eyes. 

".....I'm sorry." He mumbled. 

 


 

"GAHHHHHHHH!!!!" Seungcheol screamed on top of his lungs. He threw the can of beer in his hands as far as he can. Seungcheol's eyes were puffy from crying. His knuckles are still bleeding because he punched a wall after he left the cafe. He's heartbroken. 

After the event at the cafe, Seungcheol called his closest friend, asking him to bring beer and take him far away. Jihoon immediately complied because it's not everyday that you hear Seungcheol crying over the phone. He bought boxes of beer and picked Seungcheol up from the park where he found the latter leaning on his and Jeonghan's promise tree, it was where they carved their names and vowed to each other that they won't leave each other. Jihoon knew about that because Seungcheol wouldn't stop talking about it.

Jihoon watched as Seungcheol scream in front of Han river. He calmly sipped his beer then he let out a sigh, listening to Seungcheol's rants.

"I LOVED YOU, I GAVE EVERYTHING TO YOU BUT WHY WOULD YOU JUST LEAVE ME LIKE THAT?!" Seungcheol shouted once more. He was broken. Who would've thought that Jeonghan would just give them up like that?

eungcheol started to gain attention from the people who were doing their night walks so Jihoon placed his beer down on the bench and approached his half-drunk bestfriend who was crying his eyes out. "Come on, dude." Seungcheol let himself be pulled back to the bench. 

Jihoon sat down, pulling Seungcheol to sit down beside him then Jihoon handed him another can of beer. "Here, just drink it all up." said Jihoon. Seungcheol took it, holding it with his two hands. He stared at the can while his tears fall from his eyes.

"I love him so much, Jihoon..." Seungcheol said weakly.

"I know, bro. I know." Jihoon said, patting his bestfriend's back. Jihoon isn't really good at expressing his feelings through conversations. He could express deep emotions but through his songs so he doesn't really know how to handle his heartbroken bestfriend. 

Seungcheol sniffled loudly. "I knew we weren't working anymore. I know this will happen but I didn't expect it to happen so soon." He said as he sob loudly. "Am I a bad boyfriend?" He looked at Jihoon with tear-filled eyes.

Oh, Jihoon pitied his bestfriend so much at that time. Seungcheol never cries. He knew Seungcheol since they were kids and he could definitely prove that statement. Seungcheol never cried when he gets wounded, he never cried when he got failing grades,he never cried everytime he would get scolded by his mom, he never cried when his parents broke up, he never cried when he broke up with his first girlfriend, he never cried. Well, at least not this much. He only cried like this for Jeonghan.

Jihoon shook his head at his bestfriend's question. "No, you were perfect." said Jihoon. "You were a wonderful boyfriend. You did great." Jihoon said while rubbing Seungcheol's back. 

He sobs again, "B-But why....why did he leave me?" 

"I don't know, Cheol," Jihoon replied. "Only Jeonghan could answer that because I only know one thing, he loves you so much and this break up is probably killing him too." he added.

Seungcheol sniffled and brought the can of beer to his lips, drinking it all in oneshot. 

 


 

The tissues were all over the floor. Rolled and crumpled. A small figure sat, leaning on the bed, eyes red and puffy from crying. "I-I love him, Jisoo, I really do." He sobbed loudly. 

Jisoo , who was sitting on the chair in front of the study desk, faced Jeonghan and sighed. "If you do, then why did you break up with him?"

Why? that question bothered Jeonghan to the core. Why did he leave Seungcheol? Why did he give up easily? Why did he let go first? Why is he so selfish? Why did he only think about himself? Jeonghan only sobbed loudly.

"I-I wanted to be happy, Jisoo..." replied Jeonghan. He blew his nose on the piece of tissue that was on his hands. "We weren't working out anymore.There's no more feelings. I can't just hang on to something that isn't working out anymore!"

"Why didn't you try to make it work?"

"I did, Jisoo. I did. For the past few months, I tried to hang on even though I know I wasn't happy anymore..." He sniffled loudly. "I tried to make it work but I can't anymore....I'm done..." 

Jisoo let out a heavy sigh. "That wasn't the only reason, was it?"

Jeonghan looked up at his bestfriend, sniffling. "What do you mean?" He asked. Jisoo rolled his eyes and showed an envelope in his right hand. Jeonghan's eyes widened at the sight. "I know you're leaving, Jeonghan. I know about your Dad setting you up with another guy. I know you too well when you're hiding something." Jisoo explained.

Jeonghan broke down again. He covered his face with his hands as he cry loudly. Jisoo went to his bestfriend and sat beside him, rubbing his back. "Why didn't you tell him, Jeonghan?" He asked to his bestfriend.

"H-He wouldn't let me go...and Dad would only make his life miserable...I don't want him hurt, Jisoo.." he choked his tears back. "Dad m-made Minki's life miserable.... just because they didn't obey him...they disowned him, Jisoo! They made sure that Jonghyun hyung doesn't get any job and Dad's people kidnapped him then beat him up. I-I wouldn't want that to happen to Cheol! " Jeonghan faced his bestfriend.

"Calm down, Jeonghan..." He continued to rub his bestfriend's back.

Jeonghan exhaled loudly. "I would rather leave him than see him hurt..." 

"But by leaving him, you're also hurting him..."

"It's for the best." Jeonghan said, completely defeated.

 


 

Jeonghan went to the park after a week. Today would be his departure, going to New York where his father awaits. He went to their promise tree. Jeonghan wanted to reminisce all their beautiful happy memories before he leaves all of them behind. He made his way towards the tree, miling at the sight of their carved names.

He still remembers that day, it was their third monthsary. Seungcheol took him to the park for a simple date because he said he didn't earn so much  from his part time job that month.

 

"Hannie!" he greeted as he approach his lover. Jeonghan turned around, his long brown hair flipping beautifully. He gave an angelic smile as Seungcheol walk to him. "Cheollie! You made it!"

Seungcheol rubbed his nape while smiling apologetically. "I'm sorry, love. I came to uhm....get this for you.. " He said shyly then he took out a bouquet of white roses, extending them towards Jeonghan. The long haired boy's face turned red.

"C-Cheollie you didn't have-"

"Just take them! I worked hard for it!" Seungcheol said pouting.

Jeonghan laughed, taking the bouquet then he brought it to his nose, sniffing them lightly. "They're beautiful. Cheol, thank you." He said sweetly, smiling at his lover. 

Seungcheol's face lit up. "You liked it?" 

Jeonghan nodded eagerly. "Of course! I love white roses!"

"I took them for you because you're pure like a white rose~" Seungcheol said, making Jeonghan blush more. The long haired boy covered his face with the bouquet. "Cheollie, stop being so cheesy!" 

Seungcheol laughed then he turned his head and foun a tree beside them. "Oh jeonghannie! look!" He said grabbing Jeonghan's wrist. He pulled the latter towards the tree. 

Jeonghan looked at his confusedly. "Why, Cheollie?"

"Let's carve our names here!" Seungcheol suggested with a wide smile.

Jeonghan blinked and laughed loudly. "Yah! That's so cliche. What are we? Novel characters? Are we in a movie perhaps?"

Seungcheol pouted again then he took out his key, walking closer to the tree then he started carving "csc" which stands for choi seungcheol. Jeonghan watched him, smiling at his lover's adorable antics. 

"There! done!" Seungcheol smiled, proud of his work. Jeonghan furrowed his eyebrows. "Yah where is yjh?" He asked, looking at his boyfriend.

"I thought you don't want your name-" "Give me that!" Jeonghan grabbed the keys from Seungcheol then he start to carve his name beside seungcheol's. 

"Tadaaa!" Jeonghan showed his work proudly to his boyfriend. Seungcheol laughed and went towards Jeonghan, taking the bouquet from him then he placed it down before he took Jeonghan's hands and looked at him straight in the eyes.

"Do you know what they say?" Seungcheol started. "They say that relationships nowadays only lasts for 3 months, if it exceeds that, it lasts forever." Seungcheol added, squeezing Jeonghan's hand.

"If that's the case then I would really want us to exceed three months." Jeonghan replied.

"We will, and we'll last forever. I promise you that." Seungcheol said, bringing Jeonghan's hand to his lips and kissing the back of it. "I, Choi Seungcheol, vow to love you and only you, Yoon Jeonghan, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, I will honor you for the rest of my life until death do us part. I can't promise you a big mansion nor a fancy car but I promise you my love, forever. I promise."

Jeonghan smiled at his boyfriend's vow. "I, Yoon Jeonghan, vow to love you and only you, Choi Seungcheol, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, I will honor you for the rest of my life until death do us part. I can't promise to be the best boyfriend, partner nor husband but I promise to love you forever." Jeonghan replied, tearing up slightly.

Seungcheol leaned towards Jeonghan, pressing his lips on the latter's soft ones. The two shared a sweet kiss filled with love.

"I love you, Jeonghan."

"I love you. Forever and ever, Seungcheol." 

 

"What are you doing here?" Jeonghan's thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice. 

"S-Seungcheol." Jeonghan didn't intend to stutter but he did. Seungcheol was frowning at him. "What are you doing here?" Jeonghan asked in return.

"I'm here to erase this," He turned his gaze towards the carving on the tree. Jeonghan's eyes widened, "No! don't-""And why?" Seungcheol cut him off. Jeonghan looked at him with a frown. "Just don't." He replied coldly.

Seungcheol went towards the tree, touching the carving. "Remember when we promised to love each other forever?" Seungcheol said with a bittersweet smile. 

Jeonghan turned silent. He held back tears, again. Oh how he wish Jisoo would come and pick him up already. "Nothing lasts forever." The bob haired male his back, starting to walk away but he stopped when Seungcheol spoke up.

"We could've lasted forever, only if you tried." Seungcheol spat. "Only if you tried." he repeated. Jeonghan felt a thousand daggers stabbing its way to his heart. He didn't say anything. Instead he left the scene leaving Seungcheol there to break down by himself as he watch Jeonghan leave him....again.

 


 

"Jeonghan, you ready to go?" 

"Yes, Jisoo. I'll call you when I get there."

"You saw Cheol, didn't you?"

Jeonghan looked down at the luggage in his hands. He sighed before nodding. He was already at Incheon airport, ready to leave everything behind including Seungcheol. "You know you could do something about it." Jisoo said. 

Jeonghan sighed and shook his head. "I wish I could, Jisoo... but it's too late." Jeonghan sniffled, feeling his tears roll down to his cheeks. Jisoo went forward and hugged his bestfriend.

"I want to see you happy, Jeonghan." 

Jeonghan closed his eyes and more tears came running down. "Tell Jihoon to take care of Seungcheol for me." He pulled away from the hug, wiping his tears away. 

Jisoo's eyes were full of pity and sadness. "Are you sure about this?" 

"Yes," He said, taking a deep breath. "I'll send you an invitation for the wedding." Jeonghan gave him a small smile before he started walking away.

Jisoo watched his friend leave, Jeonghan turned back only to wave at Jisoo. 

Jeonghan made a promise to himself that day. He promised not to turn back once he enter the departure area, he promised  not to comeback to Korea and he promised to leave all the memories of Seungcheol here.

...

to be continued.