9

My Guardian Demon
Please log in to read the full chapter

They got the train to Jieqiong’s house the next day after saying goodbye to Jieqiong’s friends at college. Jieqiong’s parents had agreed to let Nayoung stay over the summer, so now all Nayoung had to do was act normal and not let Jieqiong do anything she shouldn’t with her. Jieqiong’s parents were nice. Nayoung knew a lot about them already, mostly because she’d been part of Jieqiong’s life since Jieqiong was four, but Jieqiong sometimes told Nayoung stories about them. When they arrived, Jieqiong’s parents gave them food and let them do whatever they wanted. It was late night, and the parents went to bed. But Jieqiong’s father said something that set alarm bells ringing in Nayoung’s head.

“We’re going to church tomorrow morning and we would like you two to attend with us.”

And with that, he was gone.

“Can you even go near a church?” Jieqiong asked.

Nayoung shrugged. “I haven’t tried.”

“Then I guess we have to go, but if you start feeling weird when we get near the church, just say and we can pretend you’re sick.” Jieqiong said.

Nayoung just nodded, feeling slightly nervous at the thought of going to a church.

They went to bed shortly after that.

 

They woke up the next morning quite early and got dressed and headed to the church. Jieqiong’s parents were walking ahead whilst Nayoung and Jieqiong followed along a little further back. They turned a corner and saw the church.

“Feeling okay?” Jieqiong asked.

Nayoung nodded. “Fine so far.”

They approached the church. Jieqiong’s parents walked in, then Nayoung attempted to follow. As soon as she stepped foot in the church, a sharp pain spread through her body and she let out a loud groan of pain and stumbled backwards out of the church before falling backwards. Luckily, Jieqiong caught her.

“Nayoung!” Jieqiong gasped.

“We need to go inside.” Nayoung said quickly, regaining her balance.

“But you can’t—“ Jieqiong grabbed Nayoung’s hand, stopping her from going any further.

“Your parents are waiting for us.” Nayoung said.

Jieqiong sighed, before her and Nayoung walked towards the church again. This time, Nayoung managed to get inside the church, but it was clear she was in pain. They sat down next to Jieqiong’s parents.

“You’re going to be okay, right?” Jieqiong whispered to Nayoung.

Nayoung just nodded, squeezing Jieqiong’s hand tightly.

The choir began to sing and everyone stood up. The priest came out and the pain Nayoung felt was intensified. The choir stopped singing and everyone sat down again. The priest began to read things from the bible. Halfway through, the priest made eye contact with Nayoung, and she felt like she was on fire. She suddenly lost consciousness, slumping against Jieqiong. Nobody else seemed to notice. Jieqiong began to panic, nudging the taller girl a few times.

“Nayoung.” She whispered. “Wake up. Please.”

A quiet groan came from Nayoung.

Jieqiong turned to her parents.

“Nayoung’s not feeling well, can I take her outside?” She asked her mother.

Her mother just nodded before focusing on what the priest was saying.

Jieqiong managed to get Nayoung’s arm around her shoulder before she got up and managed to pull Nayoung along with her outside. They got a few weird looks from people as they left.

Jieqiong put Nayoung down on the ground outside. A few seconds later, Nayoung woke up.

“Am I dead?” Nayoung suddenly asked, sitting up quickly.

“We should’ve never gone in…” Jieqiong sighed, pulling Nayoung into a tight hug. “You scared me.”

“I feel awful.” Nayoung groaned, holding onto Jieqiong. “The priest looked at me and then next thing you know I’m outside.”

“You passed out.” Jieqiong said. “Can you stand up? We need to leave.”

Nayoung attempted to stand up, but she let out a cry of pain and fell back down.

“I don’t think we’re going anywhere.” Nayoung sighed. “Unless I…” She paused, then closed her eyes.

A few seconds later, Eunwoo appeared.

“Disgust

Please log in to read the full chapter