Part 2: Plane Tickets

Paper Planes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jessica’s thankful that she doesn’t have to work on the weekends because she spends her Saturday and Sunday attempting to make paper planes…and failing to produce the paper craft. She groans and slumps her head onto the table on Sunday evening, dropping the paper in her hands onto her desk and closing her eyes to rest as she contemplates on how to salvage the misshapen airplanes. Unfortunately, that rest lasts a few seconds before a voice enters her ear and she jolts upright.

 

“Unnie, dinner is ready,” Krystal announces, smirking at her sister’s reaction. She peers over Jessica’s shoulders and clucks her tongue at the weirdly shaped objects on her desk.

 

“What are you trying to make?” She asks, picking up an object that oddly looks like a folded triangle and inspecting it.

 

“I’m trying to make paper planes but I just can’t get it to work! I’ve looked online for instructions but the damn paper just won’t fold,” Jessica complains, tugging on her sister’s arm as if to plead to her for assistance.

 

Krystal sniggers.

 

“This is a triangle Unnie,” She replies, dropping the paper in her hands onto the table. She ducks her head and scurries off to the dining room when Jessica tries to reach for her ear.

 

“Stupid brat,” Jessica remarks, turning back to the papers on her desk and sighing before making her way to dinner.

 

She’ll work on it another time.

 

 

 

When Jessica steps out of the elevator the next morning, she’s surprised to find a group of her colleagues crowded together near the entrance to the office.

 

“What’s going on? Why aren’t you going in?” She asks as she approaches them, trying to look over Yoona’s shoulder. Unfortunately, her co-worker is too tall so Jessica fails to catch a glimpse of what’s inside the office which is preventing the rest of her colleagues from entering. Yoona seems to notice Jessica’s smaller form because she moves out of the way and points inside the workplace.

 

“Taeyeon-Unnie has been in there since five am and she hasn’t stopped to take a break since,” She replies, cowering when she sees the mentioned woman stop typing on her computer, only to stretch her arms and her back before returning to work.

 

“How do you know she’s been here since five?” Yuri asks before sipping on her coffee.

 

“Taecyeon told me as I was making my way to the lifts. He said that she gave him quite a fright when she scanned her card at 4:50, then she went straight up to the office to work. He’s been keeping an eye on her through the security cameras in case something happens and said she hasn’t stopped working. I don’t think she’s even had breakfast or gone a toilet break.”

 

Not being able to stand the sight of the woman putting work over her health, Jessica pushes her way through the group and enters the office. As she walks across the room she observes Taeyeon’s reaction, or rather her lack of reaction as she remains preoccupied by the screen in front of her. Jessica drops her handbag on her desk before making her way over to the older woman’s.

 

“Taeyeon?” Jessica says softly, watching as the woman glances upwards and her eyes widen in surprise at the person standing before her.

 

“Oh. Oh, good morning Jessica!” Taeyeon says a little too formally, even getting out of her seat and bowing in front of the younger woman. It makes Jessica feel even worse and she shakes her hands out in front of her.

 

“No no, don’t bow to me Taeyeon – you’re older and worked here first,” Jessica protests, fighting the urge to cry at the sight of the older woman treating her so well despite being hurt.

 

“Is there anything you need help with?” The older woman asks politely as she straightens her back.

 

It makes Jessica hate herself even further.

 

“No, but I wanted to tell you to take a break. I heard you’ve been here for about four hours so –”

 

“Our boss needs the report I am working on to be completed as soon as possible,” Taeyeon interjects, looking down at the computer screen as if to tell Jessica that she really needs to get back to work. Being the person that she is, Jessica isn’t going to have any of that.

 

“You don’t have to finish it today; the meeting isn’t for another two weeks.”

 

“I will be taking leave tomorrow.”

 

“What?” Jessica responds, feeling the breath knocked out of her from the revelation. Taeyeon raises her head and looks at her.

 

“I have applied for leave for a month so that’s why I am finishing it quickly,” She clarifies. When Jessica stands still in shock, she shakes her head and excuses herself.

 

“Sorry, but I have to print some work,” Taeyeon utters, walking away towards the printer.

 

When the rest of the employees enter the office, they notice a frozen Jessica standing in front of Taeyeon’s table.

 

 

 

When Jessica returns from work and eats a late dinner by herself, her mother enters the dining room with her sister in tow.

 

“Sooyeon, what’s this supposed to be?” Her mum asks, raising a familiar looking triangular shaped object in her hands.


“That’s Unnie’s failed attempt to make a paper plane because she can’t – oh my god I’m going, I’m going,” Krystal pipes up, only to dash off to her bedroom when her sister shoots her an icy glare and raises the fork and knife in her hands.

 

“I was trying to make paper planes but I don’t know how to fold them,” Jessica confesses after she makes sure her sister isn’t in sight, placing her head on top of her arms as she crosses them on the countertop.

 

“Please don’t tell me that a child has been annoying you so you’re trying to retaliate by making paper planes and throwing it at them.”

 

“Mum!” Jessica whines.

 

“I’m kidding! Now what’s made you upset?”

 

Jessica spends the next ten minutes describing her dilemma to her mother. By the end of the story, Mrs Jung has a deep frown on her face and she lightly knocks her knuckles against her daughter’s head.

 

“What did I tell you about yelling at people and hurting them for no reason?”

 

“I’m sorry!” Jessica says, only to receive another light rap to the head.

 

“You shouldn’t be apologising to me; you should be apologising to this Kim Taeyeon you’re talking about.”

 

“I know Mum; you don’t need to rub it in,” Jessica complains, shooting her mother a pout. Mrs Ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter