Part 1: Paper Planes

Paper Planes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Apparently it’s ‘annoy the out of Jessica’ day because she almost pulls her hair out when Krystal eats the last slice of toast their mum had made for breakfast (she’s only managed to get one slice of bread before she’s reminded for the umpteenth time that she’s late for work). She groans when traffic decides to be a pain in the arse and she ends up arriving at the office fifteen minutes later than her usual time (she’s still late regardless) after honking all the cars in front of her to move forward, albeit an inch on the road per minute. She almost slaps her face when Hyoyeon and Sooyoung run in front of her chasing after each other (she later learns from Yuri that Hyoyeon stole a packet of chips from Sooyoung’s desk and now the taller girl is ballistic since her secret stash has been discovered).

 

So when a paper plane lands onto the sheets of paper she’s working on, she glances upwards and glares at anyone who comes into eye contact with her. Jessica’s eyes land on Tiffany who immediately gulps and furiously shakes her head whilst waving her hands in front of her, mouthing ‘not me not me!’.

 

Grumbling, Jessica tosses the paper to the side.

 

She’ll deal with the culprit another time.

 

 

 

The second time Jessica receives a paper plane is when she’s standing up from her seat and the tip of the paper craft hits her in the centre of her forehead. Groaning, she rubs her forehead as she scans the office for the perpetrator. Her eyes land on a woman who is bending down too much over her desk and she scoffs, strolling over and landing a hand on the woman’s desk. She tries to hide the smirk on her face when the woman jumps in surprise at her appearance and stares a little too hard at the papers in front of her.

 

“Is this yours?” Jessica asks sternly, holding out the paper plane in her hands. The woman raises her head and meekly nods, apprehensive of the standing woman’s reaction. Jessica recognises her as one of the quiet workers in the office…Kim Taeyeon? Or was it Im Yoona? Jessica rolls her eyes and drops the plane on the woman’s desk.

 

“This isn’t a playground for kids, Im Yoona,” She remarks curtly, turning on her heels and strutting back to her own desk.

 

She fails to register the look of shock and surprise on the woman’s face.

 

 

 

Jessica’s had a rough day.

 

After speaking on the phone with a client for the past thirty minutes, she’s received numerous text messages from her family and friends; her parents ask if she’s free to eat dinner with them that evening and Krystal keeps bombarding her and informing her that her classes are too boring to pay attention to. When she finally manages to place her mobile phone down, it vibrates in her hands and she groans. She lifts up the device and frowns when she sees the name ‘Im Yoona’ on the screen. She doesn’t recall ever meeting an ‘Im Yoona’ unless…that woman who threw the paper plane at her!

 

Jessica quickly picks up the phone call.

 

“What?”

 

“Omo Unnie, you sound very aggressive on the phone. What’s annoying you?” a giggly voice comes through the speakers.

 

“Who the hell are you? Why are you annoying me again? First that paper plane, then this –”

 

“Unnie, you know who I am; I’m one of your co-workers! Anyways, what paper plane are you talking about?” Yoona replies, her voice projecting with confusion. The frown on Jessica’s face deepens as she reads over the report in front of her.

 

“You threw a paper plane at me as I was standing up!”

 

“Unnie, I know I’m annoying but I swear to my food that I have never thrown a paper plane at you or in your direction. I don’t even know how to fold one.”

 

At that response, a paper plane lands right in front of Jessica’s hands and her head immediately shoots upwards to glare at the culprit. Her eyes widen and forms an ‘o’ when she registers the name tag on the woman’s shirt that she failed to see previously as she stands up from her seat and begins to pack her belongings into her bag.

 

“So it’s definitely not you who threw the paper plane just now?” Jessica clarifies.

 

“Unnie, I’m waiting for Sunny-Unnie in the lobby. How can I possibly throw a paper plane through ten stories and have it land on your desk? And even if I was still in the office, my desk is the closest to the lift so I can’t throw a paper plane in a curved manner and have it land on your desk or hit your forehead,” Yoona whines.

 

“I…okay. Right. Well, goodbye,” Jessica states, hanging up on the phone and making her way over to the desk whose occupant has just left the floor. She lifts the name plate from the desk and internally slaps her own face when she confirms she’s mistaken the woman for someone else.

 

“Kim Taeyeon,” She murmurs, her thumb rubbing the plate in her hands.

 

 

 

The first thing that greets Jessica the next morning is a paper plane on her desk. She lifts her head to stare hard at Taeyeon’s but the other woman is too concentrated on her computer screen that she fails to notice she’s being stared at.

 

Growling at the fact that she’s being ignored, Jessica holds the paper plane in her hands and throws it.

 

She clasps a hand to when it doesn’t reach its target and instead hits Tiffany squarely in the face.

 

“I’m so sorry Tiff, I swear I didn’t mean to –”

 

“You ing !” Tiffany exclaims, chasing after the other woman when she runs away.

 

Taeyeon just watches the scene unfold her with a silly smile on her face.

 

 

 

After Tiffany successfully manages to convince Jessica to take her shopping as revenge for hitting her in the face with the paper airplane, Jessica tiredly slumps into her chair and places her head in her hands. She doesn’t move from her spot until she hears something being placed in front of her. She lifts her head and comes face to face with a beaming Taeyeon.

 

“What?” She says, her voice a little hostile from the events that occurred an hour ago. She’s surprised when Taeyeon remains unfazed by her attitude.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter