Jin

Unwanted Attention

Seokjin was usually pretty calm when it came to emergencies. He was responsible for taking care of all the others as the oldest, so things like blood and throw up had stopped fazing him awhile back. However, when Jimin had texted the group telling them to stay out longer because of Jungkook, Jin was suppressing the urge to rush back to the dorm. They all knew something had been bothering their youngest and over the past week had been trying to discover the cause; even starting a secret group message where they discussed it.

Jin had thought they were on to something when Hoseok told them about what he had seen the choreographer do, and Yoongi had mentioned a similar problem with the man a few nights ago. However when Namjoon returned from the talk he explained that the choreographer insisted that Kookie had come to him wanting to get better and asking the man to be tough on him. Seokjin felt like something was wrong, but neither he, nor any of the others, had any definitive proof that the man was doing anything wrong to their maknae or anything that the boy hadn’t asked for.

Jin just wanted to know what was wrong so he could help the boy. He had seen the quiet way Jungkookie held himself now, and how he frequently distanced himself from the rest of the group. It wasn’t right and it hurt more than any of them, especially Jin, liked to admit. So when Jimin sent the text it sent the eldest’s mind into a scramble and he had to force his feet to not taking off sprinting back home.

It was the longest four hours of his life.

But at five o’clock they all made their way back to the dorm, anticipation, and nerves running high. Secretly, Jin craved the comfort that Namjoon would’ve provided for the group, always very calm and collected; unfortunately, Jimin had called him separately and after a brief discussion the leader was off to the Big Hit offices with a grimace on his face.

The remaining four of them stood huddled outside the door after Taehyung knocked, not sure if they’d be welcomed in yet or not. A few seconds ticked by and cool breeze made Jin shudder as they waited. Finally, the door swung open and Jimin stepped out, shutting it quietly behind him.

“Well?” Yoongi asked bluntly. He was never one to beat around the bush especially when it came to the other members, and he supposed that’s why Jungkook and him got along so well at times. Along with the fact they were both emotionally stunted 80% of the time.

“It’s not good... But it’s not what we thought.” Jimin said slowly as if hoping that the words would be able to provide some small comfort, at least for a bit. And now that the boy was closer, Jin could see the way his eyes were still puffy and he had a slight sniffle.

Resisting the urge to pull the orange haired boy in for a hug, he asked, “Then what is it?”

“You know how we thought that there was something going on between Kookie and choreographer-nim?” Jimin started before having to stop and take a breath, “Well, there was. And he- uh told Jungkook a lot of things… about us, and about himself. Bad things.” Jimin paused again, dropping his eyes to the ground and running a hand over his face before gathering himself to look at them again, eyes shining, “And umm, apparently, the past month and half he got….physical when Jungkook made a mistake or didn’t listen-” His voice broke and his eyes searched their faces desperately for comfort, “There were so many bruises....all over his body. I don’t know how to help him.”

Taehyung quickly grabbed Jimin as the dancer began to cry in earnest, pulling him close to his chest and rubbing his hands softly over his back and neck to try and calm him down. Jin watched, frozen, and for a moment he thought he was going to be sick. How had they let this happen? The world felt off-kilter, the idea that someone so sweet and kind as Jungkook could be reduced to a bruised husk was beyond comprehension. In the background of his thoughts he heard Yoongi cursing and Hoseok’s futile attempts to calm him down.

Finally, after a few more minutes passed, Jimin gathered himself to speak again, “We need to go back in, I don’t like the idea of leaving him on his own for too long.”

Hoseok nodded, “Probably a good idea. Is there anything we need to avoid doing?”

“Don’t grab him, at all. And don’t let him think you’re mad at him, it’s been a long day and he needs to rest. Thinking that he’s upset everyone will only stress him out more” Jimin told them before pushing open the door and making his way inside, the others following closely behind. Inside it was dim, with only some light from the curtains and a couple lamps. Jimin lead them to the living room where Jungkook was sitting, curled up in a blanket, staring blankly at the TV.

“Jungkookie, the others are back,” Jimin spoke softly, sitting on the couch beside the boy; keeping his hands to himself until Kookie laid his head on the dancer’s shoulder.

The boy’s eyes purposefully avoided looking at the group, and instead drifted back to the TV from Jimin, “They know?”

“Yeah, Kookie, they know,” Jimin replied, a hand running through the maknae’s hair as the boy shifted so his face was better hidden in Jimin’s neck, cheeks turning red.

The others watched nervously from the side, not sure if they should interfere, even Yoongi was shifting from foot to foot anxiously. It was clear that the past few hours hadn’t been easy for either of them and whatever had transpired had Kookie clinging to Jimin like a baby koala.

Suddenly the boy turned to look directly at them for the first time, his eyes watery, “I’m sorry hyungs.” was all he managed out before tears were drip-dropping down his face.

Jin rushed forward and while the urge to gather the boy into his arms and never let go was strong, he maintained his distance. Instead, he offered a hand, allowing Jungkook to make the first move. “Why are you sorry? We’re sorry for not noticing sooner that something was wrong.”

Jungkook grabbed the offered hand while his other tried to stop the flow coming from his eyes, “You would have if I hadn’t been lying to you.” His voice pitched as he tried to speak, the words coming out thick and uncomfortable. “Especially Taehyung-hyung.” The final admission had the youngest sobbing and allowing Jin to sit beside him, an arm around his shoulders to match Jimin’s around his waist.

Taehyung froze at the admission, the group had been slowly working it’s way closer, but all progress halted at the words. “Kookie, what do you mean? What did you lie about?” His voice was gentle but the underlying panic didn’t go unnoticed.

“Bang PD-nim never knew anything, I spent two hours a week sitting in an empty storage room every week so you wouldn’t tell the others what happened,” Jungkook says, the sobbing making some parts almost unintelligible. The others just listen, confused, they didn’t remember anything happening between the two. Jin ran through every memory that he had of the two talking from the last three months and nothing struck him. Although Taehyung had always had a strong opinion when they talked about was what wrong with Kookie, Jin could never distinguish why and he had the sinking feeling he was about to find out.

Meanwhile, Taehyung wasn’t sure he had ever felt this nauseous from hearing something in his life. Jungkook had been on his own the whole time. Was that even the first time he had gone to the roof? Or the last? He could’ve jumped. He could’ve died because I never told the others. The thoughts clouded his mind and soon he was sitting on the ground trying not to have a panic attack in front of the others. He felt Hoseok put a reassuring hand on his back, dropping to his knees to better face Taehyung.

“Tae, what happened?” The voice is Yoongi’s and while it’s gentle enough, there’s a certain steel to it that let’s Taehyung know that not answering isn’t an option.

“I found him on the roof one night. He looked like he was gonna step off so I pulled him back. He told me that he was seeing someone though,” Taehyung’s voice began to rise a little, frantic. He didn’t want the others to think he had been disregarding Jungkook’s safety or lying to them when he knew Jungkook wasn’t okay. “He didn’t want the rest of the team to know, and I thought he had been getting better, I would never- I didn’t mean to-” Taehyung stopped as his breath kept catching. Spots danced across his vision and he felt dizzy. Suddenly he was being lead by Hoseok away from the others and into the hallway out of view.

“Taehyung, you need to breathe,” Hoseok told him, patting his back. “In….Out….In….Out.”

 

Meanwhile Jungkook was having a similar problem. His hands were shaking and sweat was dripping from his body. This is why I never told them. This is why you shouldn’t have told them, you selfish brat. The voice echoes in his mind, and even though he knows he shouldn’t listen, he can’t help it. Jin looks at him concerned when Jungkook flinches suddenly at the thought, unable to stop himself. The eldest is at a loss for what to do to help. When Jimin had admitted his own lack of knowledge on how to handle the situation, Jin had figured that his past experiences would make it easier for him, but so far that had been a fantasy.

Instead the two, along with Yoongi who found his spot in front of Jungkook on the floor, work to calm the boy back down. Although after all was said and done they’d definitely be having a team meeting about not lying to the other members. However for now, Jin and Jimin rubbed circles on Jungkook’s back and neck, fingers running through his hair; while Yoongi spoke softly to the boy, his deep voice and gentle words helping to relax the maknae. Slowly his breathing evened back out, and his body slumped down on the couch, head on Jimin’s lap and legs on Jin’s. That’s when the door to the dorm opened again.