/3/

Beautiful ( as in world-changing, show-stopping beautiful)

Seungcheol was at the top of the stereotypical, albeit the all too true (whether you like it or not), high school hierarchy. Since his freshman days three years ago, when he first joined the basketball team and easily earned his title as rookie ace, he walked the halls of his school with laid back confidence and charisma. He doesn’t typically like to toot his own horn (he totally does), but girls and guys alike fell for him left and right when he flounces his signature move, The Wink.

 

The times were simpler back then, but with university applications right around the corner, Seungcheol found himself drowning in both tears and stress as a senior. That’s why Seungcheol indulges in miniature getaways with his favorite person in possibly, most-likely, absolutely, the entire world: Yoon Jeonghan.

 

And after watching Jeonghan laugh with that weird kid Wonho, or whatever his name was, during AP Chem, Seungcheol was more than ready to whisk him away to the bakery, where it’d just be the two of them.

 

“Jeoghannie!” Seungcheol said gleefully. “Are you ready to go get lunch now? Let’s hurry, before the bakery gets too crowded.”

 

Jeonghan, who was in the middle of packing up his books, looked up and smiled. “Yeah sure, but let’s stop by the lockers so I can drop this off,” he gestured towards the books in his hands.

 

The walk to the lockers was brisk and short, Seungcheol’s eager footsteps leading the way, students scrambling to the side to let him pass. At times like these, Seungcheol always found himself wishing that Jeonghan would walk beside instead of behind him. So he would have the chance to gather the pieces of courage scattered in his body which happened to be just enough for him to grab Jeonghan’s hand, so that they can walk along the halls held together in all the right places. He’s been dreaming about it since freshman year.

 

In reality, walking with Jeonghan was like walking by himself, him always in the front, the boy he loves always a step or two behind him. Sometimes, Seungcheol wants to stop leading, he wants to let go, breathe, and let fate take him by the gut, and throw him off the mountain he calls “expectation.”

 

The walk to the bakery was probably just as uneventful, and by the time they had ordered (Jeonghan ordered his favorite Tiramisu and he had ordered 3 melon breads and a large cup of coffee to go with it), Seungcheol’s adrenaline seemingly dissolved into his bloodstream, leaving him weary and flat.

 

He watched as Jeonghan slowly ate his dessert, his lips between every three bites to get the crumbs and cream sprinkled on the corner of his mouth.

 

“Cheol,” Jeonghan began as Seungcheol’s heart beat wildly to the nickname. “Have you decided yet?”

 

Seungcheol frowned. “Decided what?”

 

The boy in front of him sighed as he wiped his mouth with a napkin, sweeping away the leftover bits of the pastry. “ Well, it really comes down to one question doesn’t it? Basketball or Law?”

 

The black haired boy frowned, putting down the bread that was fit snugly in his hand. He was fully aware of what Jeonghan was talking about. “Hannie--”

 

“You have to make a decision soon. Any university will accept you, since you’re practically top of the school” Jeonghan paused a second, “ Second best to me, of course” he said jokingly.

 

Seungcheol laughed weakly. “We talked about this before, my parents want me to become a lawyer, there’s nothing I can change about that.”

 

Seungcheol came from a family of lawyers, the occupation rooted into the earliest stems of his family tree, back to his great-great-great-great (basically too many greats for him to even count) grandpa. His dad was a lawyer, an exceptional one at that, and he was expected to be one too. The only problem was, he didn’t want to be.

 

There was one specific memory, back when Seungcheol was in the mere beginning of his teenage years, fresh into high school, he had just befriended Jeonghan, a boy that he was paired up with in class, deemed star player of the basketball team, and on the edge of discovering his passion for the sport. His dad was home early from work that day, the case closed easily due to his unrivalled persuasion.

 

He had sat Seungcheol down on the big swirvy chair in his office and said in a clear demanding voice that still rings clear as day in Seungcheol’s head: “ The family’s honor is riding in your hands, Seungcheol.” He gruffly handed him a big book with Constitutional Law etched on in gold script font, “this was your grandad’s before mine, his grandad’s before his, and now it’s yours.”

 

Seungcheol remembered how heavy and large the book seemed in his pubescent 15 year old hands, “Wow.” he deadpanned. “Thanks, dad.”

 

“I know you won’t disappoint.”

 

His dad’s deep rumbling voice morphed into Jeonghan smooth-like-silver one when Jeonghan said, “ There’s nothing wrong with following your dreams,” shaking Seungcheol out of his thoughts.

 

“I never said there was,” Seungcheol replied.

 

“Seungcheol-- you have the talent, and the passion to do it. It’s all there! God is practically telling you to sign yourself the up for that basketball scholarship.”

 

The black haired male rolled his eyes. “If God was really on my side, he would’ve had me born into another family.”

 

The ghost of a smile was wiped off Jeonghan’s face as he said it. The male’s features shifting into a slight frown, but it was only there long enough for Seungcheol to notice it before his facial features were swept clean of emotion and replaced with a gentle smile.

 

“The deadline to apply is a week away, which gives you a whole 7 days, 168 hours, and 10080 minutes to think about it.”

 

Seungcheol scoffed, but still ended up smiling.

 

“Whatever you decide, it’s up to you, I’m not in the position to tell you what to do. I can always suggest things,” Jeonghan paused and started sporadically coughing, slipping the word scholarship between coughs before continuing, to which Seungcheol chuckled at.

 

“ But- as cliche as this sounds-, I’m always here for you, every step of the way, right next to you ready to support your sorry to whichever way you go.”

 

Seungcheol smiled widely at Jeonghan’s eloquently put words, the burden in his heart lessening just a tad bit. Sometimes it leaves him in awe at how Jeonghan knows exactly what to say, in exactly the right moments. Just gives him more of a reason to love him.

 

The rest of the lunch period was spent in fits of giggles at each others terrible jokes, subtle laughs, stealing each other’s food. For once, Seungcheol wasn’t plagued with thoughts about his future, what he’s going to pursue in life, his decisions.

 

Plus, the deadline for the application was a week away, he had plenty of time-- a full 7 days, 168 hours, 10080 minutes to think about it. Seungcheol wasn’t worried because even if he was leading his life like he was supposed to, he’s always got someone right next to him to lean on.

 

The walk back to school felt less lonely, it seemed as if both males had made a compromise: Seungcheol slowed his pace, and Jeonghan quickened his so that they walked side by side, hands occasionally brushing each step of the way.

 

;;


 

Seungcheol was absolutely sure he was going to get charged with murder for manslaughter of his best friend when Seungkwan had loudly proclaimed he was going to sit with Jeonghan the next day. The two of them were just released from class and walking towards the cafeteria because Seungcheol was too broke to buy food from outside and too lazy to find somewhere else to eat.

 

“What? Since when were you friends with him?” he asked, eyes practically bulging out of his head in shock.

 

Seungkwan huffed, annoyed. “We’ve been in this school for 4 years. And besides, I’m friends with everyone.”

 

“But Jeonghan, really? Isn’t he like out of your league or something?”

 

Seungkwan frowned. “Excuse me, but you shouldn’t be talking considering you’re the one who actually likes him, and has liked him for the last 3 years.” Seungkwan pushed open the doors as Seungcheol’s cheeks burned light pink, and started walking towards the back table, where Seungcheol could make out Jeonghan’s figure, waving them over.

 

Seungcheol seated himself next to Seungkwan and in front of Jeonghan. On Jeonghan’s left, was Jisoo, soccer player and Jeonghan’s very own best friend, the cat-looking boy was shifting uncomfortably and when Seungcheol turned his head, he figured out why-- because on Jeonghan’s right, was Wonho with his head lazily nestled into his hand in casual indifference.

 

“What’s he doing here?” Seungcheol asked, words flying out of his mouth much more harsher than he intended to.

 

Jeonghan smiled and placed his hand on top of Wonho’s shoulder-- much to Seungcheol, and clearly Jisoo’s distaste, who was practically writhing in his seat at the sight. “His name is Wonwoo.”

 

“I’m Soonyoung,” an energetic voice said next to him, and Seungcheol finally noticed the presence of the boy next to him, who was happily munching away to the store bought bibimbap.

 

“Jihoon,” sitting next to Jisoo, a short, pink hair boy commented.

 

“Jisoo.”

 

When an air of silence extended between them, Seungcheol realized that it was his turn to introduce himself. “I’m Seungcheol, nice to meet you,” he said through mildly gritted teeth.

 

Sure Wonwoo hasn’t done anything yet, but the way the two interacted during class, and how Jisoo looked very uncomfortable when he was normally a smiling, church loving boy, not to mention how Wonwoo (that was his name, not Wonho), was leaning too close to Jeonghan for his liking--, it was enough for Seungcheol to be wary of the other male’s presence.

 

The conversation commenced when Soonyoung started to talk about how his day went by, and how his awful math teacher assigned him two projects for the upcoming month. Seungcheol was too distracted to care, eyeing Wonwoo and his motions carefully.

 

It was only when Seungkwan tapped him on the shoulder when Seungcheol snapped out of his daze. “I’m not coming home with you today”

 

“What why?” Seungcheol turned to his friend, a frown on his face. “I don’t have practice today, we always go home together on Wednesdays.”

 

“But, I have cheerleading practice.”

 

“You guys don’t need to practice, the basketball season doesn’t start until the Spring.” Seungcheol brushed off the comment.

 

“No, not for you guys.” Seungkwan replied. “For the soccer team, championships are coming up, and the school’s not only known for their basketball team, y’know. The soccer team is pretty good, too.”

 

“Uh-huh” Seungcheol eyed Jisoo who was immersed in a conversation with Jihoon. “So does that mean I’m going to go home alone?”

 

“I mean you can always watch my practice. Or--” Seungkwan paused and gestured pointedly towards Jeonghan’s direction. “You can always go home with him.”

 

;;

 

Seungcheol did eventually end up waiting for Seungkwan to finish his practice, but that was only because Jeonghan was waiting for Jisoo to finish too. That’s how he found himself sitting in the metal benches with the angel-esque male next to him.

 

Their conversation revealed much of Jeonghan’s relationship with Seungkwan over the 2 hour period. Seungcheol discovered that Seungkwan was, in fact, friends with Jisoo first, since they often saw each other when their practice times overlapped. But, as Seungcheol expected (since Jisoo wasn’t the type to introduce Jeonghan to anyone for that matter), Jeonghan and Seungkwan had actually became friends back in the beginning of junior year, when they bonded over a ty teacher they both shared.

 

Time passed quickly and practice ended in the middle of their heated game of rock-paper-scissors. Jeonghan had miraculously won ten times in a row, and claimed it was merely luck when Seungcheol accused him of cheating.

 

The four of them walked home but when Seungkwan initiated a very high strung venting session about the cheerleading captain with Jeonghan, Seungcheol became wary of Jisoo’s presence, who seemed to be purposely matching his pace towards his.

 

“Do you need something?” Seungcheol asked as Jisoo placed a finger over his lip to tell him to quiet down.

 

“Quiet, I want to talk to you about something.”

 

“It’s about Wonwoo isn’t it.” A lightbulb in Seungcheol’s head went off, as he realized.

 

Jisoo nodded. “Why else would I talk to you?”  Normally the two didn’t get along, especially because Jisoo was very aware of Seungcheol’s feelings towards the resident angel, and vice versa.

 

“Go on.”

 

Jisoo cleared his throat, voice barely above a whisper, “Anyways, let’s get straight to the point. I don’t like the way he looks at Jeonghan. He doesn’t seem to like him, yet, but… he probably will soon, knowing him.” he gestured towards the boy in front of him, who was laughing at Seungkwan’s animated antics.

 

Seungcheol nodded as he noticed Jisoo’s demeanor completely change. Usually, he evoked a nice calming aura, much like the neighborhood church oppa. But suddenly, the air around him warped so much, that it gave even Seungcheol chills.

 

“Let’s make a deal, I don’t usually like to ask you for help, but you’re kind of my only option.”

 

“A deal about what?”

 

“We’ll do everything we can to keep those two apart, and even if they still somehow manage to get together, we can’t let them be alone.”

 

Seungcheol choked on his own spit, thinking that it was a joke. But a look at Jisoo’s face was enough to tell him that he was completely serious. “You know Jeonghan’s not an object, right?”

 

Jisoo visibly swallowed. “I know.”

 

Seungcheol paused, his thoughts seemingly running a million miles an hour as considered the request, eventually (and a little hesitantly) agreeing.

 

“Great” Jisoo grinned, his smile returning his gentleman-like features. “And while we’re at it, let’s add Mingyu to the list.”


[A/N] Shoutout to @smileyaz for betaing ! Thanks to all who subscribed/ upvoted/ commented! You guys are great <33 As a bonus, I will tell you guys who the next chapter is going to be about..... 

JISOO (hmm, I wonder what his problem might be)