5 | Youngjae

Sweet As Sugar (sour as lemon)

Youngjae walks into school on monday with a spring in his step, his soft pink hair bouncing with every excited movement. He feels great, giddy, even. Youngjae can’t really remember the last time he felt this excited to be at school (maybe when he first stepped into his elementary school music room?), and he knows exactly why.

Im Jaebum.

His boyfriend .

 

Okay, well maybe not boyfriend, but something close to that. They haven’t put a label on it, their little thing , but it’s pretty obvious they have something . He knows Jaebum likes him (honestly, it’s cute how obvious Jaebum is about it) and Youngjae likes him back (a whole lot ).

Plus, they’ve been on two official dates so far (well, three, if you count the “coffee date”)! And they even held hands, so there shouldn’t be a problem, right? ...Except for the fact that Jaebum hasn’t brought it up yet and Youngjae always gets to nervous to ask, so they’re sitting in some kind of pre-relationship limbo.

(But, if Youngjae’s being honestly, he’s content with how things are going. After their second (technically third) date, they started exchanging text messages back and forth, and with every dorky message received, Youngjae feels himself falling more and more for Jaebum.)

So maybe he’s a little (more than) enthusiastic about seeing Jaebum again. Maybe. He can’t really help but fall for Im “looks like a sinnamon roll but is a cinnamon roll” Jaebum. There’s just… something about him that draws Youngjae in like fish on a hook. From his ruggedly y appearance, the two dotted moles above his eye, to his soft and husky voice, his secretly nerdy personality…

God, Youngjae thinks in embarrassment, red face hidden in his locker, I’m so gross!

 

Too caught up in cringing over his own embarrassingly mushy thoughts, Youngjae doesn’t notice the pair of boot-clad feet standing in front of his locker until something knocks lightly against the door. With a yelp, Youngjae startles, unceremoniously smacking his head against the top of the locker and hissing in pain.

“Yah,” he whines, feeling his face flush darker and rubbing the sore spot on his head. That hurt .

“S-sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” Youngjae blinks up at Jaebum, who’s watching him with pursed lips. When Jaebum’s fingers lightly trail over the red mark on Youngjae’s temple, he nearly loses his breath. “Are you okay?”

Is he … Youngjae stares. He can’t take his eyes away from the sight, watching the almost unnoticeable shake of Jaebum’s shoulders as he tries to control his laughter . He’s laughing . At me. He’s laughing at me, oh my god. Why am I so embarrassing?

Hyung ,” he whines again, slapping Jaebum’s on the shoulder playfully, “It’s not funny! I could have died !”

Jaebum winces, chortling adorably from behind his hand. “I-I’m sorry, Youngjae,” Jaebum smiles at him, and it knocks the breath out of Youngjae’s lungs, “You’re just…. So cute .” And , if Youngjae’s mortification meter wasn’t already filled, Jaebum pinching his cheeks just sent it skyrocketing.

Jaebum-hyung,” he squeaks, head banging softly against the locker beside him as he tries to escape Jaebum’s hands, but failing.

“It’s true,” Jaebum whispers, crowding in close and trapping Youngjae against the locker - acting much bolder than Youngjae’s ever seen him be. Jaebum’s forehead is resting against his, so close that Youngjae has no choice but to look him in the eye. “You’re too cute, Jae-ah,” Jaebum hums, caressing the cheek he just pinched.

 

Youngjae can’t move, struck frozen by Jaebum’s bold display of public affection, but the butterflies in his stomach flew free, tumbling around and making him dizzy. Neither of them say anything, but Youngjae catches the pinkness bleeding onto Jaebum’s face the longer they stand there, where anyone could see.

With an awkward cough, Jaebum steps away (much too quickly for Youngjae’s liking) as if coming to his senses, fiddling with his fingers. “S-sorry, I just…”

He looks so bashful, so shy - especially after that . Youngjae kind of ( really ) wants to kiss him.

“Jaebum-hyung…” He starts, catching the junior’s startled attention. “Let’s be boyfriends!”

The words are rushed and jumbled together, but by the shy grin that lights up Jaebum’s face, Youngjae can tell he understood. The black haired boy reaches over again, looking away from Youngjae with red cheeks, and entwines their hands.

 

“I-I’d love to, Jae-ah,” Jaebum mumbles, squeezing Youngjae’s hand.