4 | Jaebum

Sweet As Sugar (sour as lemon)

What if he changed his mind, Jaebum frets, holding back the urge to scream. Like he’d said, he was waiting for Youngjae at the school gates but it’s been 10 minutes and Youngjae still isn’t here. Oh my god, what if i scared him off? Jaebum kind of wants to run away (anything beats standing here like a ing idiot) but then he spots a familiar, pretty head of pink-blond hair and oh, it’s Youngjae.

“Jaebum-ssi,” Youngjae calls, cheerful as ever as he jogs over towards Jaebum (it was a really cute jog and his heart totally didn’t skip a beat. Nope), “I’m sorry for being late, I was pulled away by a teacher.”

“D-Don’t worry about it,” Jaebum says, like he hadn’t just been contemplating jumping out into traffic to cure his embarrassment, and pushes off of the all. “I wasn’t waiting long,” he lies, wanting to sooth the barely-there frown on Youngjae’s face.

The boy brightens visibly, like the ing sun, and Jaebum can’t control the squeak he makes (which is so embarrassing, ing hell) when Youngjae loops arms with him. He hears Youngjae chuckle under his breath as he starts pulling the both of them down the street, “Let’s go then, I know the perfect place!”

While usually, there’s no-way-in-Hell Jaebum would want to be caught walking with someone like this in public, for some reason, if it’s with Youngjae he doesn’t care. Maybe it’s because of his crush on the cute sophomore?

(Let’s face it, it is because of his massive crush. Jaebum’s already accepted his fate.)

 

Whenever he’s around (or even just thinking about) Youngjae, Jaebum’s heart does acrobatic ing pirouettes in his chest and frankly, it’s getting a little ridiculous. After Youngjae spoke to him at lunch, all Jaebum could think about was their date (at least to him, it’s a date). He could barely concentrate on his work because every time he tried to focus, Youngjae’s grin, and how much he wanted to feel those lips on his own, clouded his thoughts.

Like he said, ridiculous. He’s barely talked to Youngjae, for s sakes, Jaebum didn’t even know crushes developed this quickly. He hadn’t even felt this strongly for any of his exes (not that that was surprising, seeing as most of them were girls, and Jaebum realised he’s strictly into ) so it’s more than a little alarming. Not that he hates it, not at all.

 

It’s just annoying how easily he turns to mush every time someone mentions the current object of his affections.

 

Speaking of, Jaebum hums, looking down at the bright haired boy. Youngjae’s been pulling him along for a while now (really, it wasn’t that long but to Jaebum, it felt like forever) and his hand had slid from Jaebum’s elbow to his hand. Which meant they were holding hands. In public. Which probably shouldn’t make Jaebum’s heart race as much as it is, but it’s happening - oh, yep, he can definitely feel his face turning red.

 

“W-Where are we going, Youngjae?” He dares himself to ask, unable to take his eyes off of their entwined hands. Wow.

“Hm?” Youngjae hums, and he’s just pulled them down the street. “Right here.”

Jaebum blinks, tearing his eyes up to look at the building they stood in front of.  A cafe, he thinks, which is pretty obvious since they were going to get coffee. “Here?” He can’t quite see the sign from where he’s standing, so he looks inside.

“Yep,” Youngjae laughs, pulling Jaebum inside the building, “I found this place my first week in Seoul. It’s really nice.”

“Ah,” Jaebum hums, looking around. The cafe isn’t necessarily small, but it’s not large either. It’s got bookshelves lining one of the side walls and a few nice-looking couches and chairs around that corner. The other wall is covered in posters and frames; from bands, missing animals, advertisements. Beside the counter, there’s a pretty blue record player, and a shelf filled with vinyls. Only a few of the tables are occupied, but the space looks comfortable. The cafe has a very grunge look, not the type of place Jaebum would expect someone like Youngjae to go, but he supposes that he’s still got a lot to learn about the pink-haired boy.

 

“They make the best coffee,” Youngjae turns suddenly, sliding Jaebum a heart-stopping grin, “What do you want?”

Jaebum blanches, fumbling with his hands, “N-No, it’s fine! I can-”

“No way, Jaebum-ssi,” Youngjae huffs cutely, pursing his lips, “I’m the one who asked you out, it’s only fair that I pay for our date.”

Jaebum blinks like an idiot as soon as the word “dateflies from Youngjae’s lips. Date. D a t e. Jaebum’s almost too shaken to realise the tips of Youngjae’s ears have turned pink, but he notices and it only makes him want to cry out in joy.

“I… Let’s go order,” Youngjae squeaks, suddenly looking shy after his stubborn declaration.

Jaebum’s living (while also simultaneously dying because that just happened).

Youngjae clears his throat once they get to the counter, calling attention to the barista behind it. The barista, a boy with full cheeks, dyed red hair, and a lot of piercings, looks up and grins at them, showing deep-set dimples. “Ay, you’re back!” The barista looks between the two of them for a moment, giggling at Youngjae, “And I see you brought a friend.”

Jaebum raises an eyebrow when Youngjae’s face turns red (he’d be lying if he said that wasn’t cute). “Jooheon-hyung,” he whines, pouting over at the barista. “We’re here to order, not to distract you from your job.”

Jaebum stifles his laugh at the startled look on Jooheon’s face when Youngjae sasses him, but the noise turns into a startled cough when Youngjae grabs his hand and pulls him towards the counter.

“An Iced americano,” Youngjae huffs, before tilting his head towards Jaebum expectantly.

Jaebum jumps, distracted (once again. Get it together) by the feeling of Youngjae’s hand in his own, “C-Caramel Macchiato.”

Jooheon hums as he jots down their order, “Okay, got it-”

“Wait,” Youngjae interrupts, “And a piece of orange chocolate cheesecake.”

Jooheon snickers and Jaebum wonders what’s so funny, but doesn’t get a chance to ask because Youngjae’s nudging him towards the tables, “I’ll meet you over there in a second.”

And so, Jaebum’s sent off with another smile that shakes up his ing world (seriously, how whipped can one person be for a smile). It’s only when he’s seated at one of the booths that the reality of the situation actually sets in. He’s on a date with Youngjae.

Him. Im Jaebum. “Bad Boy” Im.

Is on a date.

 

With Choi Youngjae.

 

“ing hell,” he squeaks under his breath. He’s so giddy. He wonders if anyone will notice if he spontaneously combusts - but it’s a good way to go. At least he can die happy.

“Here you go,” Youngjae’s voice snaps him out of whatever weird fantasy he was just in. The pink-blond slides in across from him, sliding Jaebum a drink.

Jaebum flushes in embarrassment, but Youngjae doesn’t seem to notice, too preoccupied with trying to get the straw through the lid of his americano. He’s so cute, Jaebum thinks, then ugh, my heart. Watching him just do that shouldn’t make Jaebum feel ing butterflies but apparently it does!

“So, Jaebum-ssi, I he-”

“Hyung,” Jaebum interrupts him, and almost immediately regrets it when Youngjae frowns.

“What?”

He takes a shuddering breath, drumming his fingers against the table top. He’s oddly nervous. “Um,” Jaebum flushes, looking away, “y-you don’t have to be so formal…”

Youngjae’s silent for a minute, maybe I crossed a line? But then he’s blinking up at Jaebum through his eyelashes and the corners of his lips are curled upward, “Okay, hyung.”

By now, Jaebum’s sure he looks like a tomato in leather and piercings, but Youngjae’s still here, still smiling. Maybe he’s into that, he thinks, but then trashes the thought right then and there because for one, they’re in public, and two, that is a long dark road into places Jaebum (wants to be) shouldn’t go.

“So, as I was saying,” Youngjae leans against his elbows, biting at the tip of his straw and looking attractively sly, “I hear you’re known as the ‘Heartbreaker’?”

Jaebum feels himself frown. Oh, he thinks, dejectedly. “Look, Youngjae-”

“Someone told me you’ve broken up with all the girls you dated, but I’m not a girl, so does that mean I have a chance?”  Youngjae’s smile and his words are cheeky, but his cheeks are dark red and his fingers are fidgeting around his drink, like he was nervous.

That was not what Jaebum expected him to say - it’s completely opposite what Jaebum’s insecure mind thought Youngjae was going to say, and , is he relieved (and really, really happy). Plus, it’s kind of a bonus to see Youngjae (who’s, Jaebum had started to think, shy disposition was only a ploy) look so flustered instead of Jaebum.

Even though Jaebum’s literally just as flustered, but on the inside. Which is why he’s kind of just sitting there like an idiot - because Choi Youngjae just said that.

Then Youngjae’s cheeky smile starts to wobble and the silence between them is turning awkward, but just as Jaebum’s about to reply, he’s interrupted by the plate being placed in between the two of them. Youngjae jumps and Jaebum frowns, turning to look at the server.

“Here you go,” he drawls, grinning brightly (Jaebum thinks, briefly, that this guy looks just as suited to be here as Jooheon, with his piercings and his blue dyed hair). “Orange Chocolate Cheesecake. Enjoy your date.”

 

They both watch the server walk away, and Jaebum’s sure things couldn’t get any worse. Their date started out so well, too - but he had one chance, and he’d gone and left Youngjae hanging-

 

Jaebum flinches when Youngjae starts to snicker, one of his hands coming up to muffle his laughter. He can’t help but stare as the sophomore’s face flushes pink and he ducks his head, muffled giggles shaking his shoulders.

 

It pulls a laugh from Jaebum too, and soon both of them are giggling together over god-knows what, but Youngjae’s smiling again and Jaebum feels warm. The cake is forgotten between them for awhile, as Jaebum watches Youngjae try to catch his breath. He wonders just how fond a person can feel (just how disgustingly mushy this crush is going to make him) and how long it’ll last.

 

“If you give me your heart, I promise not to break it.”

 

Youngjae’s head snaps up and Jaebum hides his face in his hands. The words just slipped out before Jaebum even realised he said them. Oh my god, he thinks, mortified that something like that came out of his mouth.

 

Jaebum spares a glance up when Youngjae laughs again, squeaky and bright. He’s looking at Jaebum with a soft smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners. It’s beautiful, he’s beautiful. “Y-Youngjae-”

 

“Shush, hyung,” he chides, cheekiness back in full force as he shoves a fork-full of cheesecake into Jaebum’s mouth.

 

“I’ll only give you mine if you give me yours, a fair trade, I say,” Youngjae hums, after a moment, and Jaebum’s grin matches Youngjae’s.


This whole thing is new, and weird, and maybe even uncomfortable, because nobody’s ever made Jaebum feel this comfortable so quickly. He feels warm and Jaebum kind of doesn’t want this feeling to go away.