2 | Youngjae

Sweet As Sugar (sour as lemon)

By the time the class had finished, Youngjae has come to a few new conclusions.

  1. That he’s most definitely going to be talked about by his classmates, as the “new kid from the countryside”;
  2. That he has the privilege to be seat-mates with a really hot boy;
  3. That the aforementioned  “really hot boy” is Im Jaebum, or, more accurately, the guy he so embarrassingly ran into this morning (and who was oh-so-shamelessly checking him out!!!); and
  4. That Im Jaebum seemed to be too embarrassed to look at Youngjae after he sat down.

It’s kind of funny, in a way. He’s not really used to this type of response (because he’s never been the type of person people give a second look to), so watching Jaebum fidget so tensely as soon as Youngjae sat down… well… that was a prize in itself. Not to mention the fact that Im Jaebum was, in fact, really attractive. He’s the stereotypical bad boy; with a sharp jaw and piercings and messy hair and an equally unruly uniform (and totally Youngjae’s type - not that he has a type , but, you know).

Youngjae figures out relatively quickly that Im Jaebum looks really cute when he’s nervous. So when Jaebum all-but bolts out of the classroom as soon as the bell rings, he can’t help but laugh softly and shake his head. As far as first impressions go, Youngjae hadn’t taken Jaebum as the type to get so nervous so easily. Youngjae kind of expected Jaebum to just glare at him and ignore his existence (because he’s all-too familiar with those types), but he was pleasantly surprised when Jaebum did not, in fact, do that.

Nope, because as soon as Youngjae sat down and smiled at him, Jaebum’s cheeks flushed and his jaw clenched. Could he be any more obvious, Youngjae had thought with a giggle once Jaebum whipped his head back towards the window. Youngjae was still a little caught off guard, honestly - he’s never gotten this type of reaction before and he isn’t really sure what to do with it…. Not that he isn’t going to milk this for all it’s worth, either way, because (has he already mentioned this?) that Im Jaebum is really cute?

Now, Youngjae isn’t the type to go throwing himself at the feet of every attractive boy he sees, but there’s just something about Jaebum that just… draws Youngjae to him? It’s way too early to tell what it is and he hasn’t even had a full conversation with Jaebum either, but Youngjae’s about 90 percent sure he’s got a crush. And not like a small, puppy-love, school-boy crush, but a b i g , heart thumping, palms sweating, kind of crush (or at least, it’s gonna become one of those). Which is, for one, embarrassing to even think about, because Youngjae totally doesn’t believe in love-at-first-sight.

Totally.

And to make his already (good? Bad? weird? ) interesting day even more interesting, Youngjae doesn’t even have time to get up  from his desk before someone stands right in front of him.

“You’re Youngjae, right? I’m Park Jinyoung.”

Youngjae can only blink in confusion as Jinyoung stands in front of him, uniform looking all-too perfect on him and his hands planted on his hips. Youngjae’s mouth kind of drops open, because wow , Jinyoung is also really attractive (is everybody in Seoul hot or something? First Jaebum and his friend, and now this guy?) and he’s talking to Youngjae .

Oh my, Youngjae blinks, realising that now Youngjae was the one caught staring, and flinches from embarrassment when Jinyoung raises his eyebrow impatiently. "Y-yeah,” he stutters, blinking up at Jinyoung with his cheeks flushing red.

Jinyoung’s eyes narrow but then he smiles , little whisker-like lines cradling the corners of his eyes cutely. “Oh, you are really cute,” Jinyoung laughs fondly, pulling out the chair beside him and sitting in it, leaning against Youngjae’s desk.

“So you’re the kid who ran into Jaebum-hyung this morning, right?” Jinyoung doesn’t hesitate to ask, staring down at Youngjae,  “Like, the one he was checking out.”

“Excuse me?” Youngjae almost chokes on his spit at Jinyoung’s abrupt question. Is that why he came over here, Youngjae wonders, a little affronted. “Yeah, why,” he asks uncertainly, feeling a little shy thinking about it.

“Oh, nothing!” Jinyoung waves his hands, but them immediately leans over the table to speak to Youngjae in a low voice, “Just…. You should seriously stay away from Jaebum-hyung, or at least, be careful of him.”

“What?” Youngjae’s eyebrows furrow. Was this going to turn into the stereotypical jealous girlfriend (or, in this case, boyfriend) situation? “Why?”

Youngjae sees him shake his head slightly, “He’s just… I know him, he’s bad news.”

Oh? Youngjae’s eyebrow raises, and he can feel his heart speed up in his chest.  “Bad news,” he asks curiously.

Jinyoung nods stiffly, “ Yes, bad news. I guess you wouldn’t know this, but Jaebum-hyung’s got a bad reputation, you know. He’s a total heartbreaker.”

A heartbreaker? Youngjae’s head tilts as he takes in Jinyoung’s words. For some reason, this new information only makes him want to get closer to this so called “heartbreaker”.   He thinks of the way Jaebum looked so nervous sitting beside him and how he turned the cutest shade of red - no way , he huffs, totally suspicious.

Okay , I can see you’re totally not going to take my advice, so don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Youngjae giggles when Jinyoung rolls his eyes. “Whatever. Let’s get some lunch, I’ll introduce you to some people.”

Youngjae watches Jinyoung beckon him towards the door, feeling a new sort of giddiness. This is gonna be fun, he grins, following Jinyoung out of the classroom.