Recovery and Reparation

Heartfelt Memories

Momo woke up a few times during the night, startled awake by night terrors and nightmares. She was comforted each time by a patient Mina who hugged her tight and sang lullabies until Momo fell asleep again. Worn out by her ordeal and interrupted sleep, Momo slept in till mid-morning. She opened her eyes to a bright light as she blinked rapidly against the sunshine streaming in through her window. She turned abruptly and felt the spot next to her. Not sure if she had dreamed the night before, the bed felt cold and uncomfortably large by herself. She called out before a voice replied from the kitchen.

‘I’m here. Just making breakfast.’

Momo wrapped a blanket around her and walked towards the living area. She stopped bleary eyed and watched as Mina made an omelette. Serving up their breakfast, Mina noticed Momo and immediately wiped her hands and rushed over to inspect her. Mina put her hands around Momo’s face and stared into the large brown eyes. Seeing nothing to worry about, Mina stepped forward and wrapped Momo in a hug. “I was so worried,” she whispered. “Thank god you’re alright.” They stayed standing still for a moment before Momo’s stomach growled in protest. Momo chuckled sheepishly and they sat down to eat.

Having filled her belly, Momo went to brush her teeth and wash her face while Mina washed the dishes and clean up. Feeling refreshed, Momo abandoned the blanket and walked to the lounge room where Mina was waiting. “What would you like to do now? We have the rest of the day to ourselves,” she said. “What about school?” Momo asked. Mina shook her head and smiled brightly.

‘I got the day off and the teachers said that you needn’t go to school for the rest of the week considering.’

Thinking back to the day before, Momo felt her neck and the rough bandages wrapped around. Her memory felt foggy and she could only recall flashes of the event. Still though, she felt as if a cold aura had settled around. Blinking a few times to try and clear her head, she felt a touch on her shoulder. She recoiled from the hand before realising that it was Mina who had moved closer to her. Mina rubbed her back and spoke soft words of comfort in an attempt to soothe the frightened girl. When the episode finally passed, Momo found her body covered in a layer of sweat. She wiped off her forehead and winced as she felt a throbbing in her temple. She excused herself and went back into her room to get a change of clothes.

Mina watched her go and sighed wearily. She made a note to not make any references or say anything related to the incident with the two other girls. Although she felt a bit guilty at reminding Momo, she knew that if Momo was exposed little by little, she’d recover rather than always fearing the memory. However, the process of that type of therapy was long and difficult so Mina sated herself by bringing out some board games. When Momo returned, her expression brightened at the sight of the games. She excitedly sat down and waited eagerly as they chose one and began to play.

Mina spent the rest of the day with Momo trying to keep her mind off darker thoughts but was having fun all the same herself. They played a few rounds of Monopoly before Momo repeatedly landed on Mina’s properties and went bankrupt before moving onto the deck of cards on hand. After exhausting her repertoire of card games, they cuddled on the couch together and watched some dramas. As the sky turned dark, Momo fell asleep in Mina’s lap, her mind fatigued. Admiring the sleeping form of the blonde, Mina tucked her hair behind her ear and leaned over Momo’s face. She looked at Momo’s cute nose and her lips that puckered slightly as they drew breath in. The only thing that was lacking were the sparkling eyes that Mina knew always looked around at the world full of excitement and innocence. With the blood pounding in her ears, she moved closer until only a centimetre separated the two. Drunk to reason, Mina leaned forward to kiss Momo when Momo’s eyes sprang open. Her pupils darted around for a second and Mina held her breath as the brown orbs settled down and closed as Momo sank back into a deep sleep.

Uncertain of the reason for her actions, Mina sat up straight and fanned her reddening face. Trying to think of anything but the person laying on her lap, her thoughts turned to her stomach. She reached over to the kotatsu and grabbed her phone to call her parents. She told her mother about her order and reassured her that Momo was doing fine. She ended the phone call and sat in silence as she watched Momo sleep. Momo slept like a wanton angel as her chest moved up and down in time to her breathing.

Struck with a random thought, Mina turned away and stared at the ceiling as she decided that her thoughts were decidedly inappropriate considering the situation. She was saved by further berating as the doorbell rang. Gently waking up Momo, she walked towards the door and opened to a delivery man. Thanking him, she took the box and closed the door, walking back to the lounge room. She set the box on the kotatsu and the delicious smell of pork rose as steam wafted up.

Momo’s face brightened at the sight of her most beloved meal and hugged Mina before digging in. Content to let the other girl serve herself, Mina watched as the normally cute Momo devoured the pork in bliss. Chewing the warm meat, Mina couldn’t help but admit that jokbal could perhaps become a favourite of her own. They ate most of the box but set aside some as even Momo’s voracious appetite could not conquer a family takeout.

They sat down at the kotatsu and warmed their feet and Momo brought out her makeup case. She laid out an assortment of nail varnish and polish. They then set out to paint their nails in all sorts of crazy fashions. The only downside was the wait between coats and time flew by as they exploded with artistic inspiration.

The hours grew late and Momo fell asleep as she waited for her last nail to dry. Mina smiled amused at how much one person could nap and bent down and lifted up the sleeping beauty. She bridal carried Momo and moved her over to her bedroom. She tucked Momo in and hesitated for a second before slipping under the covers with her. Momo slept soundly and Mina leaned her head against Momo’s back inhaling the faint scent that was Momo. She thought for a second that lying there right next to Momo was her place and welcomed the warm blanket of sleep.

~

Momo woke up and felt a movement behind her. She turned her head and looked right into Mina’s sleeping face. She reached down where Mina’s hand was draped over her midriff and felt a slight embarrassment at being spooned. She yawned and Mina stirred behind her. She called out softly for the other girl to wake up but that only succeeded in Mina hugging her closer and saying, ‘5 more minutes.” “You have to go to school, silly,” laughed Momo. At that, Mina rolled over and gave a loud yawn. She stretched and Momo turned to look at her. They looked at each other for a second before Mina asked her a serious question.

‘How are you feeling?’

Surprisingly, Momo had slept through the night without a single nightmare and she echoed this. Mina nodded and got out of bed to get ready for school. Not wanting to leave her warm bed, Momo went back to sleep as Mina left the house. However, a few minutes later, a knock came from the door. She went to answer thinking that Mina had left something behind but widened her eyes in shock as the door revealed Jeongyeon. She tried to stammer out a greeting but Jeongyeon initiated the conversation. “Can I come in?” she asked. Momo moved back to make room for Jeongyeon to enter and peered outside to see if there was anyone else there. Jeongyeon was seated on the couch and nervously twiddling her fingers. Anticipating something difficult, Momo stared at the nervous girl. Jeongyeon took a deep breath and began.

‘Firstly, I’m sorry for coming to your house like this. I know I’m probably not your most desired guest right now. I came to your house to apologise. If it hadn’t been for me, those girls might not have bothered you as much.’

Momo interrupted the speech with a sudden comment. “Bothered me as much?” she asked. “What do you mean? So you’d be fine with them just bothering me a bit?” “No!” Jeongyeon said instantly before softening her tone. “My mind’s in a bit of a jumble today, sorry.” Seeing Jeongyeon’s nervous antics and miserable expression, Momo decided that Jeongyeon’s intentions were well and in the aim of reparation. She let her flaring anger subside and paid closer attention to Jeongyeon’s words.

‘I came here today not to seek forgiveness. I mean I do want your forgiveness but I’ll understand if you decide not to since I don’t deserve it. Basically, I just want to wholeheartedly apologise for any hurtful or malicious actions I may have displayed. The truth is that I don’t really know how to interact with people our age. I’ve always grown up in the midst of adults and fierce competition where the slightest weakness is preyed upon. I asked Mina and she said that there were times and many of them where I acted like a total towards you. I didn’t mean to get you hurt or anything, I thought we were having some playful rivalry. Sorry, I’m rambling. You can say stuff as well.’

Momo looked at the other girl shrewdly and not without a little pity. “Imagine living in that kind of environment,” she thought. No wonder Jeongyeon seemed cold all the time and didn’t have many friends outside of those girls who were in her same situation as a trainee. Trying to avoid any more conflict, she got up and hugged Jeongyeon. “It’s alright,” she said. “I understand what you’re trying to say and I just hope that now you’ll be a bit more gentle in your attempts to befriend people,” remembering the incident where she was bowled over for one lunch roll. Jeongyeon tentatively returned the hug and retreated back to the street. “I have to go now or I’ll be late,” she called. “See you next week at school.”