My Dance for You

Heartfelt Memories

Momo woke up to a silent house. She glanced at her phone screen and saw that it was still the early hours. She closed her eyes and stayed still before getting up, realising that she wouldn’t be able to go to sleep again. She got dressed and ate some toast for breakfast, trying to make as little noise as possible. As she was leaving, she saw a pair of waterlogged shoes hanging to dry on the verandah and felt a pang of guilt as she was reminded of her actions the previous day.

Momo sighed and began walking to her university. The sky was still dark and few cars passed, driving through the drizzle, most likely headed towards warm beds. The rain fell softly and Momo was glad for the accompanying sound as millions of drops hit the earth. The streetlights were still on and the wind blew through, making her shiver. She thought about heading back home but thought that it wasn’t the place she needed to be. Mina would probably still be angry and she didn’t fancy facing her.

She made her way to the station where she waited silently as the train pulled into the platform. She took a window seat in an empty carriage and leaned her head against the glass, watching as the raindrops slowly rolled down. She got off at her platform and watched as a pair of lovers cuddled together on a bench.

Envy touched Momo and she turned away, quickly walking towards campus. The grounds were deserted and she was glad that she’d been given a key and unlocked the doors to her practice room. She the lights and set her bag on the floor. She took off her parka and rolled it up into a ball, laying her head on the soft fabric. She looked up at the ceiling, surrounded by darkness. The darkness helped, allowing her to keep her mind blank.

As the world slowly woke up, the sounds of drumming feet and chattering students could be heard faintly and she plugged in her earphones, listening to the melody of BIGBANG’s voices in ‘Last Dance’. However, the lyrics spoke to her bleeding heart and feeling a burst of inspiration, she got up and danced, feeling the flow through the music. The music faded and she was glad to hear the beginning notes to another of BIGBANG’s songs; Let’s Not Fall in Love. The sad love ballad was soothing to her, and she felt a sudden desire that Mina were here so that she could tell them to her. She stopped dancing and sighed, knowing that the other girl would rather face the rain than Momo.

A voice from the doorway interrupted her thoughts and she glanced over to see Bora leaning against the wall. “If you sigh one more time, you’re going to lose all your energy you’re going to need for the competition,” said Bora, referring to the superstition. “Now tell me what’s wrong. If I’m not wrong, your song is by Taemin, not BIGBANG.” Momo nodded and began to speak, choking back tears as she described recent events.

Bora listened with a sympathetic ear and was silent as she gave her take on what to do. She reached for Momo’s phone and scrolled through her photos. She looked at one that was favourited and saw a captured scene of Mina posing with Momo, all smiles as they enjoyed the beach on their holiday in California. She inclined her head and Momo confirmed that Mina was the one standing next to her. Bora considered the photo before saying, “If you really intend to win her heart, you need to show her that you’re a capable person, capable of supporting her. You can’t do that if you neglect your dancing. And besides, you dance with your heart.” Momo nodded at the words and realised that she was still lacking in many areas. However, Bora’s next words were not as agreeable.

‘You will also need to keep your distance.’

Momo jerked her head up and frowned at Bora. Bora waved both hands in negation. “What I meant,” she said, “Is that she won’t be able to see you as anything but a friend if you’re always by her side. You can’t appreciate something that you will always have.” Momo considered the meaning behind the words but still felt a bit unsure although she could see the truth in Bora’s words. She hugged Bora and leaned against her before adding, “I will follow your advice, but just to be sure, you shouldn’t go to my house in the near future.”

Bora chuckled and got up, reminding Momo to practice. Momo watched as Bora left and when the door shut, she played Taemin’s song on a low volume. She went through the choreography she’d designed and realised that although she had been working on it for a long time, there was still a missing element in the song. She danced through to the song’s end and kept practising but there was still dissatisfaction when she left to ride the train home.

The drizzle from the morning was still present and she looked up at the grey sky as she walked. The clouds were still heavy with rain and seeing the cars whizzing by splashing water everywhere as they rushed to get home, a feeling of solidarity filled her. The lone person walking, she enjoyed the deserted streets and instead of entering her house, she sat outside on the kerb. She watched as the water flowed down the gutter. The water was clear and she could see her distorted reflection in the wash. She entertained the idea of drinking the water but limited herself to putting her hands in the icy flow and gave a short laugh.

A voice called out behind her and she turned to see Sana staring at her from the doorway of their house. She looked to the sides, avoiding her friend’s gaze. Sana was looking at her with a raised eyebrow and narrowed eyes. Momo grinned at the funny expression and got up to enter the house before remembering to soften her demeanour. She recalled Bora’s advice and took a shower, changing into her warm pyjamas. She sat down alone at the table to eat and quickly finished her meal before retreating to her room to work. She shut her door indicating that she wanted to be left alone. She listened to a few lectures before heading off to sleep.

~

Momo kept to herself for the remainder of the week, both practising hard for the penultimate day but also to avoid Mina. She had eventually realised that the void she felt was Mina and that she missed the brown-haired girl. She hadn’t formally apologised and still felt awkward in approaching the other girl. Luckily, the competition served as a distraction and although she knew she had put in the work, Momo couldn’t help but feel nervous. She was encouraged by her fellow classmates and teachers who wished her luck and that added to the pressure to perform. She knew by heart the lyrics to the song and her choreography was now ingrained into her muscles.

However, she was unable to practice as much as she wished, due to ceremonies planned for the arrival of the other participants. The performers were shown the theatre and given a chance for a rehearsal on the stage they’d be using. She mingled with the other participants and was surprised to discover that they were humans just as she was and many of them shared common interests.

However, there was a big topic between the contestants as to the representative from Juilliard. Juilliard was a world-renowned school for the performing arts and any graduate from there was sure to gain employment in the top ranks of the performing arts elite. The participant would not be arriving till the final day and there were rumours abuzz as to why. Momo ignored all that and tried to focus on herself. She needed to retain a calm mindset and engaging in rumours with others was sure to distract her. She tried to keep to herself as much as she could and when the day arrived, she was ready to perform.

She took the provided transport and arrived at the National Theatre Company of Korea and looked up in amazement as the venue glowed with a thousand lights. She exited the limousine and took her pressed uniform with her as she headed to her waiting room. There a trained team of professionals took over and helped transform her into readiness for the stage. When she was finally left alone, Momo looked at her reflection in the mirror and hid a smile as she saw how beautiful she was. “A girl could get used to this,” she thought, admiring the way her eyes shone.

Her excitement was dispelled as she lined up and entered the theatre and took her designated seat alongside the other contestants. There was chatter as the guests and VIPs took their seats before the lights dimmed and the evening began. The announcer commenced the start of the program and the first contestant began. Any nervousness she felt was pushed to the back of her mind as she watched as the performances played out before her. There was an incredible array of dancing and Momo could feel some sweat on her palms as she wondered how she could possibly trump the beautiful performances shown.

The audience was hushed when the next participant was announced to be from Juilliard. Momo heard herself gasp as the name tickled her memory, albeit less than the sight of a familiar face. Yoo Jeongyeon was announced to be performing and Momo blinked as she wrapped her head around seeing her old friend again. They still kept in regular contact but Jeongyeon hadn’t mentioned that she would be participating. However, as Momo thought over it, it was logical that Jeongyeon with her many talents would be able to gain entry into the most well-known school of arts in the world and would be performing at a competition of the highest level. Silence settled as the music began and Jeongyeon started to dance.

Jeongyeon moved beautifully. Her lithe body moved quickly to the music as the violins played. She froze as the music stilled and Momo held her breath, waiting for the music to fill her body again. Jeongyeon was beautiful in her black leotard and her looks had matured in the years since Momo had seen her. Her dancing had improved as well and Momo felt a tinge of envy as she remembered that Jeongyeon had the voice to accompany it.

When the music finally stopped and Jeongyeon completed her last pose, the applause was thunderous and Momo knew that everybody would be hard-pressed to be able to win. She looked to Jeongyeon as she walked off the stage to a seat and caught her eye, pouting when Jeongyeon winked at her. She was glad to be able to see her friend in person after such a long time and looked forward to taking her out but a tap on her shoulder reminded her that she would be performing soon.

She walked through the bright corridors and found herself wishing that Mina was beside her then. She realised that none of the three had mentioned the competition and she worried that Sana and Mina wouldn’t be in attendance. She promised herself to try and make amends afterwards as she waited in the wings. She walked out as rehearsed and waited as she was announced and the song to play. All words left her mind as the first notes of Sayonara Hitori played and Taemin’s voice floated through the air and Momo began to dance.

She moved slowly but her motions melded into one fluid action. All her practice had come to fruition as she sped up to follow the fast paced music. Although she was exerting her body, her heartbeat was surprisingly calm. She made use of the flowing dress sleeves and imagined herself dancing a traditional kagura. She had followed the concept in not only dress but also moving only within an imaginary circle, only the hem of her dress twirling around.

The crowd watched amazed as Momo showed the true extent of her abilities. Her dance held the right mix of edge and sultriness without dirtying the concept. Momo could feel the heat radiate from her as her body moved to the rhythm of the music. Beads of sweat flew from her forehead as she injected every ounce of energy she could into the performance. Her breaths came quick, but she felt free; as if she could dance forever on this stage.

She worried that she was too free in her movements and stumbled slightly at the thought. She recovered quickly and looked up once before closing her eyes and embracing the attention. She could see the stage in her mind, a performance she had practised countless times. She felt her movements become more fluid and smiled for the first time since she had walked out. She opened her eyes as the of the song neared. She faced up at the ceiling and the lights that shone. The bright orbs reminded her of a love unrequited and eyes that glowed with a secret smile. As if dancing through a cloud, she used the mic for the first time, singing along sombrely to the ending lyrics.

 

'Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...'

She breathed out and she felt a sudden forlornness at the departure of her performance. She knew that now, no matter what she did in the rest of her life, this experience would forever remain in her memory and dance in her dreams.

 

The seated audience was silent and Momo shivered, standing alone on the black vinyl floor. However, moments later one person stood up and clapped and like a lion's roar, the applause grew and spread through every person in attendance. Flushed with praise at the standing ovation, she took a bow and left to the wings.

~

The rest of the event was a blur for Momo as her brain replayed her performance over and over in her mind while she sat. The MC concluded the performance and the crowd departed, Momo returning to her waiting room. She was met half-way by Jeongyeon who stood at a distance. They looked each in the eyes and ran towards each other. They hugged and Momo felt a few tears slip as the longing for her friend surfaced. They separated and held each other at arm’s length as they observed the other. Momo broke the silence by remarking, “You evil ice woman! Why didn’t you tell me you were participating?” Jeongyeon chuckled as she answered.

‘I didn’t know until I saw you at rehearsal and besides, wouldn’t want to make you disappointed at knowing you had no chance to beat me.’

Momo snorted and they walked along chatting, catching each other up to recent events in their life. However, Jeongyeon had a curfew to follow as she was staying in event-provided accommodation and she left regretfully, promising to meet up. Momo returned to her waiting room to wipe off her makeup and change into more presentable clothes. She was getting ready to leave when knocks came to her door. She opened it up, expecting her chauffeur only to see Mina waiting nervously. The words she was about to say froze in as she processed seeing Mina.

‘Hey.’

Mina initiated the conversation and Momo returned the greeting. Mina entered the room and stood as Momo continued packing. Unfortunately, the awkwardness from their last encounter was still fresh in their minds and Momo wracked her brains feverishly as she tried to think of something to say. Finally, she remembered that she had never apologised to Mina and swallowed to speak.

‘Um…so first things first, I would like to apologise for my rude behaviour and harsh words the other day. I’m in your debt. Sorry.’

She bowed and the tension disappeared as a smile broke through Mina’s face. She was unable to continue as the sight of Mina’s smile seemed to reopen wounds in her heart. The smile was beautiful, just as Mina was and she berated herself for making Mina feel any other way than wanting to smile. “It’s alright,” Mina replied. “I’m sure you were just stressed out from performing.” Momo nodded but Mina continued speaking.

‘I would like to say, Sana came to watch your performance but she has an exam to study for and had to leave right away. And also, you danced amazingly out there. Words cannot describe how good you were.’

Momo grinned at the praise, glad that things weren’t as awkward anymore. She thought of something to say but Mina surprised her with the next suggestion.

‘Want to go out for some bingsu as a little celebration?’

‘Now?’

‘Yea. I know a place that’s still open.’

‘Sure why not.’

Momo held the suit bag containing her outfit and they walked a short distance to a dimly lit alleyway. Momo looked dubiously at the shop as Mina ordered one blueberry and one strawberry bingsu and wondered if Mina was in her right mind to be coming here. They got their cups of ice-cream and they exited the shop, Mina leading them to a park. They were on the banks of the Han River and the scenery was breath-taking. The moon glowed at them from the bright sky and as they sat on a bench together, Momo closed her eyes and inhaled, smelling bingsu and the sweet scent of Mina who was beside her. The trees that dotted the park blew gently and the winter’s breeze whispered through their branches. There was a soft splashing sound as the waves of the river fell against the bank and Momo felt one with nature as she sat there.

She ate her strawberry flavoured bingsu glumly as they sat in silence and Momo was reminded of another night like this with Bora which hadn’t ended well. She looked up and stared at Mina who was slowly eating and admired the way Mina’s lips glistened in the moonlight. Mina turned and Momo was slow to react, caught off guard. Lifting up the cup, Mina asked Momo whether she wanted some. Momo whose head was still in the clouds, replied the first thing that came to her mind.

‘I’d rather taste it from your lips.’

She jerked her head up when she realised what she had just said and tried to back track. However, Mina was staring at her with a wicked grin and moved closer. Momo leaned back as Mina leaned towards before pressing her lips to Momo. An ecstasy filled her as she finally kissed the one person who had seemed out of reach. She was stunned for a moment but then embraced Mina and returned the kiss. They pulled apart and stared into each other’s eyes before Momo looked down at Mina’s lips that were red and slightly puckered.

Craving the taste of Mina, she leaned forward and initiated the kiss herself and Mina met her passion with force. Her hands slid up Mina’s back and settled around her neck. Mina was cradling her face as their lips melded into each other and Mina managed to straddle her with their mouths still attached. They finally broke the kiss to breathe and Momo blinked a few times, her breath hot. She looked at Mina, filled with elation and smiled, Mina returning her smile fully.

‘So... I’m supposing that’d be your answer to me asking you out?’

Mina laughed happily, and hugged her tightly. A hug full of love and promise. Momo felt a warmth spread within her as she thought how lucky she was that Mina returned the feelings. Mina remained on her lap and softened her voice as she asked Momo a sudden question.

‘So when did you fall in love with me?’

Momo grinned and thought back to memories of their past. She remembered seeing Mina for the first time and thinking how she would be a cool person to befriend. The memory of their first meeting in the cafeteria melded into her thoughts of when she had woken up those fateful years ago with an unexpected gift from a stranger. Time had passed, and she recalled the many experiences she had shared with Mina. She realised that she had been reminiscing silently by herself for a while and Mina was still looking at her expectantly. The memories they’d shared were sweet and too many to count, but there was one distinctive time in her life when she’d truly been in love.

‘It was when you first danced for me.’

Mina looked at her puzzled, thinking back to what Momo was referring to.

‘It was your repayment for spying on me.’

Mina covered her face with her hands in embarrassment at the memory but then uncovered them to ask a question.

‘You were in love with me even then?’

Momo nodded and pressed a kiss to Mina’s chin. “Who could resist you?” she asked. “You were like a goddess. I still remember it. You were framed by the moonlight and you gave me a show of ballet that I will never be able to forget. I memorised it, and I spent weeks trying to perfectly replicate it. Would you like to see?”

Mina hummed in agreement and stood up for Momo to dance. Momo smiled at the memory of Mina dancing and closed her eyes as she performed a routine that was from her heart. She went through the motions in silence until Mina joined her. Momo watched as Mina danced as she had all those years ago. Momo was now a few years older, but watching Mina dancing like an ethereal goddess in the night, she felt as if she were her younger self. The same emotions of admiration and love spread from within.

When Mina stopped, they stood facing each other and she leaned her forehead against Momo’s. “Well,” she whispered huskily, “I glad I took those ballet lessons then.” She tilted her head to the side and Momo stared into Mina’s eyes as her heart pounded in her chest. She closed her eyes in anticipation but all she received was pain from her forehead. She opened her eyes to hit Mina for flicking her forehead but the ballerina laughed brightly, having already danced to the side. She stuck her tongue out before grabbing her bag and catching up to Mina. They walked side by side and Momo thought about how much she wanted to hold Mina’s hands. Mina seemed to be thinking along the same lines and slipped her hand into Momo’s, leaning her head on Momo’s shoulder. They walked slowly, in silence and in peace, filled with elation at the thought of spending the rest of their lives together.

****

Author’s note: I would like to say with some regret and not a little longing that the story has come to an end. However, do not disregard the story just yet. I will be putting the Completed tag but I have a few more chapters and such I’d like to add including an epilogue of sorts, revisions to the earlier chapters which in hindsight were crappy and which you must be thanked for reading this far and also a little surprise which I won’t reveal yet.

Regardless, it’s been a good time writing this and I felt glad to be able to share my story with you. It was truly a joy to hear the feedback on my writing and seeing the comments of engaged readers. I would like to put special mention to a special few who really helped me along the way. Firstly, Jineon who was of help in getting me accommodated to the site. Next, I’d like to thank Saltnpaper for your great feedback and advice for ridding writer’s block. And last but not least, I’d like to thank Vesc2gm for your suggestions and being a touchstone for my ideas. There are others who I’d like to thank in mention but you probably don’t care if you’re reading but do make sure to visit their respective profiles and read their great Mimo stories.

Finally, I’d like to thank you, the reader, for being a part of the journey and experience and hope that you weren’t too dissatisfied with my work. I may write another story in the future and will count on your support again but until then Sayonara.