What the Future Holds

Heartfelt Memories

The rest of the holiday seemed empty and although they had all only known Jeongyeon for a short while, she had made a big impact on their lives. This was dulled by Jeongyeon writing to them and keeping in contact over kakaotalk. The absence was filled as school resumed. Sana was happily welcomed back to class and life it seemed, had returned to normality. Momo returned to dancing in the second floor practice room and spent the rest of her time hanging out with Mina and Sana or studying.

There was much to prepare as there were only a few months left until the national CSAT, the make or break for every South Korean. Even if one didn’t want to enter SKY, the exam was taken extremely seriously and Momo didn’t dare slack off. Even Sana, who was normally eager to play or have fun, straightened up and slogged long hours with her head buried in textbooks. Mina occasionally visited to have study sessions due to the pleading of the other two. She was known to be very smart and was sure to gain entry into one of the big 3.

~

The day had come. The second week of November had arrived and all the students who had painstakingly prepared now had the chance to show the fruits of their labour. There was a nervous tension in the air as students milled around in the courtyards waiting for the start of the examinations. Momo, squeezed Sana and Mina’s hands and they smiled at each other, trying to reassure each other. Momo shivered slightly as a cold breeze blew through the mass of bodies and an announcement came out that students were to line up outside their respective areas. The trio of girls hugged each other once more, wished each other luck before separating and moving off to their designated areas.

Momo, now alone, breathed into her hands and rubbed them, focused on the task ahead. The students entered the examination hall and Momo took her seat. She laid out her stationary and water bottle as the testing administrator’s gathered at their places and a stern-looking official read out the standard of examination. Momo could imagine the same words being read out in all schools across the whole of South Korea but shook her head to refocus. The official started his timer as he announced the start of reading time. Momo read through the questions and smiled slightly as she knew that her studying had all been worth it.

 

8 excruciating long hours later, Momo exited the hall with a happy expression on her face. She hadn’t studied in vain and many of the questions set she had prepared for although she was quite concerned with the listening examination. She ignored it as the test had passed and there was no point in worrying further. She walked towards her locker and collected her bag before making her way towards the second floor. The corridors were empty but Sana and Mina were already in the practice room.

Sana was lying on the floor rubbing her cheeks whilst groaning as Mina was engaged in a phone call with her parents. Momo sat on the floor beside Sana who leaned against her. She put her arm around her tired friend and rubbed Sana’s shoulder. Mina hung up her phone call and yawned before joining Momo and Sana on the floor. Momo looked to ask Mina about her noticing the strange look that had flashed across her face but decided that now was not the time to ask. She leaned over her knees as Mina and Sana chatted quietly, sharing this peaceful moment together.

Sometime later, Momo’s stomach growled and Sana got up citing that she was hungry too. They collected their belongings and walked to Sana and Momo’s shared house. Sana went into the kitchen to cook ramen and Momo sat down on the couch. Mina wanted to have a lie down and rested her head on Momo’s lap. Happy to oblige, Momo ran her fingers through Mina’s silky brown hair and caressed her forehead. She wanted to ask Mina about the phone call from before but Mina showed no signs for concern smiled down adoringly at the sleeping beauty then suddenly felt self-conscious about her actions. Knowing that she liked Mina made her judge her every action in her presence. She paused mid-action but then Mina with her eyes still closed, grabbed her and told her to continue.

‘Don’t stop. It feels good. For some reason, when I’m with you, I feel at peace.’

Flushed with praise, Momo continued Mina’s face before Sana walked in and announced that the food was ready. Reluctantly, Mina got up and went to set the table. Lingering, Sana stared at Momo. “What’s with that goofy grin?” she asked, raising one eyebrow. Pressing her lips together, Momo got up and replied with a quick ‘nothing’. Sana narrowed her eyes at the suspicious action but refrained from questioning further as they sat down to eat. Momo thought about Jeongyeon in America and hoped that things were going well for her before her thoughts turned to her own future. She pushed another mouthful of noodles into and glanced up as a spoon clattered against a bowl. Sana leaned back and patted her belly, full and happy.

‘Why so serious?’

Momo put her chopsticks down and Mina mirrored her action. They shared a quick glance before turning to Sana. “Just thinking about the future. I hope that we will remain friends for the rest of our lives,” she said. Sana put her hand on Momo’s and nodded gravely. She reached over with her other hand and held Mina’s hand as well.

‘I would never leave you. An experience lasts but a second but a friendship lasts forever.’

Momo looked at Mina and for a second she could see a pained expression on her face. The look was quickly replaced by calm and she affirmed Sana’s sentiment. Sana went to wash the pot as the other two girls finished eating. Momo ate silently but observed Mina who seemed to be avoiding her gaze. She wondered what was plaguing her and noticed that Mina wasn’t eating so much as picking at her food. Suddenly, Mina stood up, took her bowl to the sink, washed it and announced that she was going home. Sana was already in her room so Momo still confused, just nodded. She heard the door close and blinked a few times. She shook her head and tried to process the last few seconds. Sana peeked around the corner and asked, “Where’s Mina?”

‘She left.’

Sana nodded and went to open the fridge but turned around and looked at Momo. She began with a simple ‘So…’ closed the fridge and slunk to the dining table where Momo just stared unblinking. “What was all that about before?” she asked. “You guys looked like quite the married couple. Momo thought for a second before deciding that Sana could be trusted and she could potentially offer some advice as to knowing the next step to take. She could remember a while back that there were certain hints Mina displayed that could mean that the love was mutual. She told the truth and confessed her true feelings for Mina that seemed to be growing by the day. Sana was sympathetic to her cause and put forward some useful suggestions but Momo’s love was still budding and she didn’t plan to do much with it. Her main concern was figuring out whether Mina was alright.

After a while of chatting, Sana declared that she needed a nap and retreated back to her room. Momo followed suit but instead of sleeping, she put on a coat and decided to pay Mina a visit. She walked the short distance to Mina’s house and knocked three times before waiting. She heard footsteps in the hall and a moment later the door opened to reveal Mina in her pyjamas and a robe. She greeted her friend and was glad that Mina looked pleasantly surprised. “May I come in or am I not welcome?” she chuckled. Mina nodded and made way for her to pass through. Momo took off her shoes and rubbed her hands as she entered the warm home from the cold outside. She followed Mina into her room and Mina patted her bed in invitation.

‘So what brings you here? I would’ve thought that you’d be fast asleep by now; cuddling one of your plushies.’

Momo smiled wryly but decided to be serious for a second. “I was just wondering whether you’re alright. You seemed a bit distant today,” she ventured. Mina’s eyes widened at Momo’s perceptiveness.

‘Oh. I’m just- I got a headache right now. Not feeling the best.’

Momo moved closer and wrapped her arm around Mina. Mina leaned into her and sighed contently.

‘Is there anything I can do?’

‘You help just by being here.’

Warmed by the compliment, Momo remained still as Mina’s breathing slowed and she seemed to relax entirely. A while later, Momo turned to look at Mina who was now sleeping. Alone with her, she observed the face that she had grown to love over the past year. She loved the way Mina’s hair looked framing her beautiful face and the way her bottom lip quivered as she drew in breath. Momo brushed away a stray strand of hair and moved Mina into a sleeping position on the bed. She lifted Mina’s head onto a pillow and was about to grab the covers when Mina’s grip tightened. She froze as Mina pulled her closer before succumbing to the temptation of being able to sleep in Mina’s bed again. She drew up the blanket around them and watched silently as time passed and the sky grew dark outside.

Momo opened her eyes to darkness and saw a shape above her. She blinked before calming down when she realised that it was just Mina’s mother. She had drifted off unknowingly and Mina’s parents had returned home to see the pair fast asleep. She rubbed her eyes as Mrs. Myoui spoke.

‘It’s 8 o’clock now. I wondered perhaps if you wanted to return home but we don’t mind if you stay over for the night.’

Momo shook her head and slowly got out of the warm bed. She pulled the blankets back around Mina who shifted and hummed sleepily. She smiled at the sleeping beauty and leaned forward to press a kiss on her forehead. She whispered a goodnight and closed the door to the bedroom. She waved goodbye to Mina’s mother and left quickly. She walked slowly, crunching on the snow underfoot and whistled quietly. Her thoughts wandered over to the past few hours. Her face reddened in embarrassment at having fallen asleep and praised her decision to pay Mina a visit. Mina’s words had touched her in that she felt comfortable around Momo. Hopefully that affection would translate into love. She clapped her hands to her face as she realised that she was love-struck and was head over heels for the shy, brown haired ballerina.