One of Many Ends

Heartfelt Memories

Entering the holidays, Momo helped Sana catch up to the curriculum material as she had missed an entire term’s worth of work. She did this due to Sana’s irresistible aegyo and also to the fact that Sana had been in Japan to help her mother as her father had fallen sick. Luckily, Sana was a quick learner and Mina had come over every day to help. Mina was smart and they were motivated in that the faster they helped Sana catch up, the sooner they could have fun without something weighing on their minds.

~

Sana put down her pen and leaned back from the kotatsu onto the couch. She took in a deep breath before letting out a groan. She had finally completed all the exercises required and read over the material the class had already covered. She reached forward and wrapped both Momo and Mina in hugs. She thanked them for their assistance before asking them what they wanted to do next.

‘I was thinking of getting something to eat before heading out to maybe the arcade or the amusement park.’

Momo thought over the proposal and looked to Mina who agreed with the amusement park idea. Momo swayed by their opinions then remembered Jeongyeon. The girls had all grown closer as they had spent more time together with Jeongyeon visiting them a few times. She gave the other girl a call and the phone rang twice before Jeongyeon picked up and hummed her consent. They agreed to meet outside Everland as Jeongyeon had already eaten. They packed away their school stuff and Mina returned to her house as they needed to change into more presentable clothes. Momo put on jeans and a shirt and blouse whilst Sana expressed her personality in a long dress and pink jacket. Mina wore a prim skirt with stockings and they headed to a nearby restaurant to eat lunch.

Mina ordered ramen but Sana missing Korean cuisine, settled for tteokbokki. Momo ate her usual jokbal and Sana and Mina chatted about a popular drama that had ended recently – My Love from the Star. Momo stayed silent, content to let them talk but also to ponder what Jeongyeon had said. During their phone call, Jeongyeon had told her that she had another reason for going with them. Still thinking, she finished off the last of her food and the three Japanese girls paid and left towards the train station.

They boarded the train and took their seats in the largely empty carriage. Sana and Mina nodded off on either side of Momo but she felt too preoccupied to fall asleep. Jeongyeon’s voice had sounded a bit strange over the phone but Momo dismissed the thought when they departed the train nearly two hours later and Jeongyeon greeted them with a bright smile on her beautiful face. They paid for their tickets and entered a world of fun.

The quartet tried out as many rides as they could but Sana and Jeongyeon seemed to be the ones having the most fun as Momo and Mina clutched each other tightly on the rollercoasters, not really fans of the more action-packed rides. Thoughts about Jeongyeon went from Momo’s mind as they enjoyed their time with the many attractions and activities the theme park offered but as the light began to fade from the sky, Jeongyeon seemed to become more and more sombre the few times Momo glanced over. Finally as if to answer her questions, they entered the line for their last ride in the Ferris Wheel and boarded the two man pods, Jeongyeon requesting that she go with Momo. They took their seat in the pod and Momo seeing Jeongyeon’s worried face, held her hand. She squeezed affectionately and Jeongyeon took a deep breath. She looked into Momo’s eyes and started.

‘I have two things to say today. There’s good news and bad news. I just felt that I’d be more comfortable telling you first but don’t tell Mina and Sana what I’m about to tell you. I want to be the one to tell them.’

Momo nodded, touched that Jeongyeon felt comfortable enough with her to confide and Jeongyeon continued. “You know how I had that recital a few weeks ago? The one you attended?” Jeongyeon asked. “Well it turns out you weren’t the only one watching for me.” She paused for a second.

‘One of JYP Entertainment’s executive managers had been watching me for a while and he came forward afterwards to say that he liked my abilities and that he’d be happy to invite me to join their company.’

Momo’s face split into a grin at the announcement, somewhat proud of her friend’s achievement. JYP Entertainment was one of the best agencies out there and Jeongyeon was sure to reach stardom under their care. Remembering that Jeongyeon had only given out the good news, she calmed down and softly asked for the bad news.

‘They looked into my background and they thought it more appropriate to move me to their American headquarters to train before I debut.’

Tears began to fall from Jeongyeon’s beautiful face but she steeled herself to finish.

‘I leave next week.’

Momo’s face fell at the bombshell news and she blinked a few times to reorient herself. “You’re moving to America then. When will you be back?” she asked. Afraid, Jeongyeon told her what she didn’t want to hear.

‘I won’t be back. I will be living there possibly for the rest of my career.’

Silence settled over the pod and not knowing what to say, Momo leaned forward and gave Jeongyeon a much needed hug. She nodded and said, “I understand,’ into her ear. Seeing that they were nearing the ground, she stepped back and gave a sad smile.

‘I’ll miss you.’

She placed her hands around Jeongyeon’s face and used her thumb to wipe away the tears. Jeongyeon rubbed her eyes and smiled happily to hide the fact that she had been crying. The ride slowed and they got off and together with the two other girls, rode the shuttle bus back to the train station and from there back home. Mina’s parents called her on the way back and she told her parents where they were, ended the phone call and informed them that they were all invited for dinner at her house.

They napped on the train and got off, walking the rest of the way home but Jeongyeon led them to the park near their houses. Momo stood off to one side and went on the swings as Jeongyeon sat with Sana and Mina at a bench and quietly told them what she had told Momo before. Shortly afterwards, quiet sobs could be heard coming from the bench so Momo walked over and they had a group hug where a fresh bout of crying was started.

Jeongyeon rubbed her face with her hands and they separated from the hug. “We’re such crybabies,” she remarked, eliciting a few giggles from the other girls. The crying subsided and they took a few moments to catch their breath and wipe their faces. They walked towards Mina’s house where they enjoyed a lovely dinner made by Mina’s mum, taking their minds from Jeongyeon’s imminent departure. Afterwards, with their bellies full, the four girls went to Mina’s porch and lay down on the grass together, watching the night sky.

With the light of the stars and the bright moon, they talked about life and how things sweet as they may be, always ended up with a bitter next to it. A while later and considerably calmer, they hugged each other once more and went back to their respective homes. Sana decided that things being as they were, sharing a bed with Momo was justified and they slept next to each other. Although she was sleepy, Momo couldn’t help her last thought dwelling on Mina. She had come to think of Mina and Sana as her best friends but sleeping next to Mina felt different to Sana. Sleeping with Sana felt the same as with her sister but when she slept with Mina evoked inappropriate thoughts. Shaking her head, she felt glad at having confirmed one thing and drifted off.

~

With only a week left, Momo, Mina and Sana endeavoured to make the 7 days the best that they could to see Jeongyeon off. They filled their days with fun and had sleepovers that stretched into the night. However, even with their youthful energy, they could not push back Jeongyeon’s inevitable departure. Jeongyeon packed her bags and her parents drove them all to the airport so they could say a final goodbye. Jeongyeon did her checks and went through Customs to the waiting area outside her departure gate. They all held hands as they waited in silence before the calls came to board the plane. They hugged one last time and said their own goodbyes.

Momo stared at Jeongyeon silently before finally saying, “I’m glad that you’re following your dreams.” Jeongyeon looked at Momo and gave a sad smile. “If you really were happy, you wouldn’t be crying this much,” she said, caressing Momo’s face fondly. She hugged her again before stepping back as the final call for her flight came. “I’ll write you,” Jeongyeon called out behind her as she rushed onto the plane. Momo gave a teary wave and was hugged by Sana and Mina as they watched the plane lift off. They watched until the plane disappeared into the distance, a somewhat farewell to a special chapter in their lives.