Log 005

Purpose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Log 005

“You asked for a request that was similar to another person’s request.”

 

 

{ 1 year ago }

 

My loose curls blew with the wind, blinding me of my vision occasionally. My hands grabbed the bundle of hair, disentangling them to the best of my ability before tying them with my spare hair elastic. I styled a messy updo ponytail, tucking the short strands behind my ear.

 

Jimin and Taehyung had finally convinced me to let my hair down. The finalization happened because of a bet. A bet that was lost, thus this whole ordeal was obligated.

 

Bet ー a wager between two parties. This word the boys loved doing. To take risks and live a little with life. My personality completely didn’t match theirs, but I tried hard to mesh in and let loose like my hair right now.

 

Where has it gotten me? Right, I lost about 90% of the stakes I joined in. Like that ice cream flavor journey that made me feel nauseous afterwards. I simply could not handle tasting eight more unusual flavors after vomiting pieces of durian on the sidewalk. The boys obviously pitied me, but snickered at my poor soul who had to purchase snacks for all of them. I barely had money in my wallet, but they wiped my young self clean. I shuddered at the whole event.

 

What was the current bet? I agreed solely because it was simple and I believed it would’ve gone in my favor, but man was I wrong. Jungkook sided with the boys and fell - purposely - when we were doing a duo relay race. I was matched with this boy; star-athletic abilities at any sports, so of course I had a surge of confidence at our advantage. I wasn’t too shabby myself with running especially when I had a purpose. Our competition was Namjoon and Yoongi and their abilities combined wouldn’t match Jungkook. Their power did not lie in utilizing their feet to run long distances. So to keep the two mouths shut for once I took the challenge. Who knew this mischievous, tall bunny would’ve been on their side. I should’ve known though.

 

My eyes wandered the neighborhood, streets void of many pedestrians. There was a couple interlocking hands behind me and a girl walking the same pace in front of me. No one I knew from school.

 

The coast was clear and I had a couple minutes to leave my hair the way it is before it had to go down. The tips of my lips curved downwards, pouting to myself at my loss.

 

The boys couldn’t see me like this. If I get caught I had to do another punishment; another bet not in my favor. How? Jungkook aggravated me with that race that I agreed to his nonsense in the spur of the moment. By the time I bit my tongue back and processed what he said, he looked at me with a smirk as well as half of the boys. From then on, I knew there was no going back. His offer was a dozen pack of strawberry pocky, but that was not worth what I had to do if I lost.

 

I knew that if I tried hard enough or faked tears they would let me off the hook, but I couldn’t. I wasn’t raised to be that type of person.

 

My mother always said to me, “Keep true to your words. No matter what the outcome may be.” Although it wasn’t said exactly the same every time, the keywords were there. Those were the words I cherished and became the base on my foundation. I was weak in many ways, I acknowledged this. I put my effort in making up for those flaws by building up my qualities ー even if no one knows I try.

 

I intentionally left the house early before the boys woke up, stood on the front door mat, and rung the doorbell. They could deal with my mom explaining that I left early with some fake excuse.

 

Mom was acting unusual or my imagination was getting to me. I told her everything about my life, sparing details here and there. Compared to other students my age, I was hip to hip with her if I wasn’t with my friends. The past few weeks we haven’t been, but our bond was strong. I wanted to be close as she makes me feel warm, comforted and protected. Students can mock me in words, but yes I am a mama’s girl. belched out a hearty-filled high voice laugh every time I mentioned something childish. However, this morning I felt her suppress her laughter, sounding forced a little even though she had the same smile on her face every morning.

 

I pushed the image of my mother’s figure to the back of my head as I saw from the distance the black, tall fences lining the front of my school.

 

Seoulite Academy. A private high school my parents enrolled me in because of its prestige in academics, sports, arts and everything you can name that is important in our district. Although it was costly it wasn’t expensive for only the privilege to attend, heck I wouldn’t be here if it was. Although it was private, somehow all eight of us managed to stick together.

 

I felt a tickle on my right thigh and a chirpy tone ding in my skirt pocket. I pulled out my pink cellular device to see a flashing text from the group chat, BTS Kingdom.

 

BTS Kingdom was created on a whim. Four years ago, we all sat in the living room of Taehyung’s house and watched music videos. Taehyung blurted out that we should create a dance group and go viral. The boys nicknamed each other interesting names that I don’t even know if they were sane coming up with them or sleep talking after a restless night of videogames and soda. Seagull was one option, like Jungkook doesn’t even look like one. Bunny would’ve been better, but I kept my mouth shut. So glad Suga was logical enough to snap the boy out of naming himself a type of bird. Eventually word got out about this during freshmen year of high school and everyone called them the seven princes of BTS Kingdom. Cheesy, but cute, even I was their secret plus one from the public’s eye.

 

They always mentioned how I would forever be their princess, especially Jin. I told them to cut it out and not call me that in public because that would make it difficult for her from a fangirl stranger’s mind. Nonetheless, I was named princess in the chat, but it was private so I let it be. A kingdom with a princess sounded majestic like a fairytale.

 

    V: RIRI!! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU DITCHED US! YOU CAN’T ESCAPE, WE WILL SEE YOU WITH YOUR HAIR DOWN!

 

    Jimin: Yeah, you can’t lose the bet or I get a good prize ;)

 

    Jungkook: Lose so I don’t have an empty wallet :p

 

This trio. It was all Jungkook’s fault that I had to this, I should’ve known the pact of three always stuck together like gum in situations like these. I responded back in a playful manner only close people knew I had instilled me.

 

    Princess: Catch me if you can then ;)

 

I pulled off the hair elastic, letting the locks of hair fall to my shoulders. My black hair wasn’t too long nor too short, just the right size to be pulled into a ponytail.

 

The school was pretty empty despite the lingering early birds who arrived at school 6:20am. The few spectators I passed by glanced at me. Groups of two or more looked at me and reverted back to their conversations.

 

Were they talking about me? The one question my brain refused to trash over the years.

 

I paced to my locker, but slowed down as I saw my next door locker buddy grabbing his books. I brushed my hair locks to the back and pulled out my strap of keys to unlock my locker.

 

My presence was made known when I saw his feet shuffle and his eyes looking at me from the corner of my eye.

 

“Good morning Nari. You let your hair down?” His matured voice with no cracks addressed me.

 

“Good Morning L. You noticed?” I responded with a small smile planted on my face.

 

“Who wouldn’t.” He chuckled and continued. “You always put your hair in a ponytail, and I remember Taehyung and Jimin complaining why you never let it down.”

 

Bingo. He was attentive and remembered the littlest details I sometimes don’t even remember.

 

I believed we had a mutual friendship going on after the trip to Mookaite Trails. I was shocked at how worried he appeared at the doorway of the temporary medical office when I sprained my ankle. His hair swept messily to the side as he stepped in, tiny specks of sweat, and cracking voice asking me if I was okay.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter