Actors

BACK 2 U (1:27 AM)

 

Jaehyun hadn’t bothered to flick on the garage light. He knew his way around every inch of the house just by feel. Somewhat ironic since it wasn’t technically his house. Or his mother’s. It was all Sung Rok’s. Everything inside of it. Even the things that weren’t. Jaehyun swiped the car keys from a hook hanging right beside the white door and pressed the center button to unlock the doors of the Blue Camry. It was labeled the “family” car but they were a still such a weird remake of a family that it still just looked and felt like....a car. And not a particularly cool one.

His phone was on it’s last ring when he let himself inside the car. “Yeah it’s me.” Jaehyun leaned to the side, his head rested on the window. Suddenly he was tired. Maybe from all the pizza and stress he’d consumed during the earlier part of the day. As angry as he was at the arrival of Taeyong, he was still trying not to dedicate most of his attention to it, which was making him that much more upset. Like some fly trapped in a windowless room, the thoughts of Taeyong just kept buzzing right back every time Jaehyun tried to swat them away. “We can’t meet at the same place as before? What? Why do we need to change the location? Aren’t you being paranoid?” Jaehyun was monotone, letting her answer all three of his questions one after another. He groaned and hummed in agreement when she took more an a couple seconds to catch her breath.

“Fine, Wendy. I’ll be there.” Jaehyun had wanted to end the call first, but the busybody on the other end beat him to it.

Even just the sound of the car purring to life made Jaehyun’s head tighten. Everything was starting to get to him at once. Not to mention Doyoung and Mark still hadn’t stopped blowing up his phone. Jaehyun had yet to give them one single reply, and they were still asking rapid fire questions, or trying to get their calls through. Goodness, hadn’t they ever seen a fist fight before? It was hardly even that.

Jaehyun pressed the clicker, lifting the door of the posh garage. He’d lost touch of the time of day, flinching a bit at the darkness that stared back at him all hollow and still. It wasn’t just evening time anymore. It was night. For half a second he thought of his mother, out drinking and gossiping with her fake, Barbie doll friends. Was that what he was working towards? To be like his mother or like Sung Rok...or to be opposite his criminal father?

“Damn you, Chanyeol.” Jaehyun tsked, thinking about the boy he couldn’t beat.

Out of nowhere, Chanyeol had transferred to the school and started to quietly dominate in nearly every area Jaehyun had made his mark. Academics, sports, clubs, volunteer work and even visuals. If things kept up the way they’d been going, Jaehyun would miss out on his invitation to the Mayor’s upcoming event for young scholars, pissing off his mother and step-father.

“Sorry but, damn you.” Jaehyun wasn’t happy that he had to welcome the repeated help of Wendy, but she was good at what she did and never got either of their hands too dirty in the process. Still, this was going to be the last time. He wouldn’t be able to look at himself in the mirror much longer. With the radio turned all the way down and the windows rolled up tight, Jaehyun felt hidden away. Confined but free. He drove, liking the idea of never having to stop. Maybe the GPS system could direct him somewhere far away from Taeyong, Chanyeol, his mother’s pressure and the fear that he’d end up anything like his father.

Taeyong had turned his cell phone off. Heechul was never going to stop calling no matter how many texts Taeyong sent back. The boy had even sent live pictures back, smiling wide so Heechul could see he was alive and in once piece. It wasn’t enough for the spaz of an adult. Texts turned to calls and then back to texts. At one point, Taeyong had been almost positive a ringing payphone down the street from him was indeed Heechul again. “Go out and get laid or something...” Taeyong sneered, jaywalking. On the sidewalk across from Dream Park, he started to feel his least favorite sensation creep over his skin tiny insects, not there to harm, but rather, just get comfortable.

Weakness.

Now that he was staring at Dream Park, he was even less sure of what he’d been expecting to stumble upon by coming back. It all felt very rushed all of a sudden, like he’d just coughed and ended up there. He barely recalled which route he’d taken to get there if he really thought about it. Apparently teleportation was a thing.

He felt small and breakable in comparison to the park, as if the place was going to rip out of the ground and eat him up. Taeyong started to sweat. His fingers pulled at the edges of his longline shirt and his feet refused to move at first.

The park looked dangerous to him. Taeyong swallowed hard, stepping forward. He jaywalked again, this time, stopping twice right in the middle of the road. There were no cars or other people around. At some point over the years, this part of town had clearly decongested.

“It’s just a stupid park.” Taeyong lied to himself, thinking it would propel him forward faster. Unable to stand still, he paced from the swingset to the jungle gym and then back again.

His fingers kept reaching out to touch everything, sometimes wanting to wrap around what they touched so Taeyong would pause. But he couldn’t. Without noticing, he ended up back in the center of the grassy field where he and Jaehyun had last seen their friend, Jongin. The grass was a little more than damp, probably from a new sprinkler system. He groaned at the stains already appearing on his light gray shoes.

“This is bull.” Taeyong spit at the grass. Waiting there for something big to hit him, he turned pale before red.

What was it all for?

Why had he been magnetically pulled back to this boring, ghost town of a park all day?

So that he could stand in the middle of the slippery grass a ruin a perfectly good pair of shoes? Now that he was there, all he wanted to do was fight someone again.

He looked at the spot where he and Jaehyun wrestled, he looked at the mouth of the woods where Jongin vanished and narrowed his eyes at the fountain where the trio used to fill up their balloons. None of it was good or warm. None of it helped. It was all poison seeping into Taeyong’s resolve, burning away at the parts of him that had been sure this was what he needed. What he wanted. Yeah, he wanted to start over. Yes, he wanted to prove he wasn’t scared of anyhting. But now, he just wanted to sprint out of Exodus City, leaving normal behind. And Jaehyun’s big head too.

It took Taeyong nearly half an hour before he started to feel suffocated by something quite specific. Something he was trying to sidestep as it got bigger, taking up more space within himself. Finally, he couldn’t duck or dodge it. It trampled him, submerging him.

Guilt.

So that’s what it had been. The loud, aggressive feeling that had dragged Taeyong back to this park by the earlobe. Guilt was the reason he’d been unable to stay still or relax in any place for too long all day. Maybe the last two days.

It felt cruel and unusual. Coming all the way back to Dream Park just so he could feel like a piece of crap. There was no reason to stick around any longer, he wasn’t going to have an epiphany or do any soul healing. Almost frantic, he turned his back to the park. Jogging, he didn’t care what kind of place he ran into next. A crackhouse. A strip club. A zoo. Anything was better than standing in the middle of Dream Park hating himself for another second.

“If anyone should feel guilty, it’s you, Jaehyun.” He crossed back the opposite side of the sidewalk, looking back over his shoulder once. The park was taunting him, knowing it had won. Round two, if there even would be a round two...seemed very far away.

Jaehyun knew the place Wendy wanted to meet at. He’d lived in Exodus City his entire life, there was only a handful places he’d never set foot inside of. This Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream shop, “BLACKPINK’ wasn’t one of them. It had been open for quite some time, often revamping and changing owners, but still holding up quite a bit of popularity among a younger crowd.

Jaehyun was skeptical about Wendy wanting to meet there. Weren’t hackers usually people who liked to stay under the radar and go unnoticed? The last two times he’d met with her she’d chosen a old, vacant cinema with mice dashing about.

Before getting out of the Camry, Jaehyun slipped into his dark blue trench coat, checking out his hair and skin in the rearview mirror. He wasn’t trying to look good for Wendy, he just had more than a gut feeling he was going to run into someone he knew. I’m here let’s make this quick Jaehyun sent the text to Wendy’s cellphone. He had never actually seen her phone, it was probably a burner or something she changed every few days. That seemed like a hacker thing to do.

With one hand on the entrance to BLACKPINK, Jaehyun jumped, hearing someone shout from behind him. “Incoming! I’m late, make way!” The boy was sprinting, his laces untied and arms overflowing his belongings. Not even a block away, Jaehyun spotted the bus he’d most likely pounced off of.

“Watch out, watch out!” The boy’s low voice sounded hoarse, like he was sick or about to get there.

“Okay, okay.” Jaehyun stepped aside, letting the panicked boy enter before him.

“Sorry I’m late, it’s a crazy story, boss! I stopped to help an old man..” He was trying to illustrate the excuse with just the use of his two index fingers.

Curious, Jaehyun entered a step behind him.

“Just shut up! Late for the third day in a row, I swear young people like you don’t appreciate a 9 to 5 job! It’s like you wanna be out on the streets begging for bread crumbs. It’s not cute or charming like the movies make it look!” Kibum, the shop’s manager came flying from behind the counter. Pink hair and all.

“Okay but we’re not that far apart in age...” The tardy one spoke, one finger raised.

“Put your finger down!” Kibum swatted. “What’s your name again? I’m gonna make sure my mom knows hiring you was a big mistake. Honestly, you don’t even have the visual for this line of work. Flower boys are way more popular.”

“Taehyung.” The tan, pouty lipped boy with the overflowing arms half bowed, his hair flopping around.

“Well Taehyung, you’re really making your generation look bad right now. And you’re not even dressed!” Kibum was about to swat at him again, but seemed to finally realize he had a small audience of two. Jaehyun and Wendy. They were seated at a table for two, but hadn’t said a single word to each other yet.

“Ahh, welcome to BLACKPINK, please please, try our new Honeycomb sundae!” Kibum winked in their direction. Instead of swinging at Taehyung, he wrapped a strong arm around the boy’s neck. “Go get changed into your uniform so I can clock out and wipe this fake smile off my face.” He shoved Taehyung towards the counter, still cheesing at the attractive customers. “Ready to order?” Kibum asked.

“Yeah, is that hunk on the menu?” Wendy asked, twirling a thick lock of her pretty black hair.

“He’s not even on payroll yet.” Kibum frowned at the mention of Taehyung. “Sorry for his theatrics.”

“Don’t be so hard on him. Or the rest of our generation. We’re the future, ya know.” Wendy went on, a bit of sugar and spice sprinkled over every word. Kibum seemed to catch on to the traces of sarcasm in her tone. With half a nod and even less of a smile, he hurried back behind the counter to work over the register. His hands moved meticulously with the money, stopping every now and then so he could steal a look at Jaehyun.

“Who does that guy think he is anyway?” Wendy rolled her eyes, finally looking at Jaehyun only.

“The owner’s son.” Jaehyun replied.

“Listen, pretty, my mom owns a daycare and you don’t see me verbally abusing the toddlers.”

“Wow, I learn something new about you every day.” Jaehyun fake grinned.

“Trust me, I’m full of many more surprises.” She started to dig through her cutesy purse, smiling at whatever girlish or dangeorus things Jaehyun couldn’t see.

It was only their third time meeting in person, but every time Jaehyun laid eyes on her, he felt some sort of static between them. He was sure it wasn’t anything special, she probably made everyone feel that way.

Wendy was the kind of person who had many faces, many lives and many more secrets. Being near her, you were bound to feel pricked by one of them or maybe even several. The girl finally pulled out her Sailor Moon wallet. “Hm, that honeycomb sundae actually sounds good. It’ll go straight to my girlish waist.” She sung. “Hm, or maybe I’ll finally try the Ice Cream Cake they make here.”

“Can we get down to business? I’m sure you know why we’re meeting.” Jaehyun spoke over the sound of Wendy ping her wallet, sifting through cards and bills.

“I don’t know about you, Jaehyun, but I came to eat something sweet.”

“Okay fine, order the whole beehive if you want, but let’s make this fast. I’ve got tons of homework.”

“Homework? Never heard of it.” Wendy played with the credit card between her two fingers. She knew the topic that was on the table before them, but enjoyed watching Jaehyun skate around it. “I honestly think you should pay, this is basically a date, right?”

“I need you to handle someone else.” Jaehyun scooted closer to the table, lowering his voice. Keeping his eyes only on her, he immediately felt that he’d fallen through some trap door.

“Alright big boy. So who’s nudes am I leaking this time? That Jin boy was such a boring job I know you can do better than that.”

“Keep your voice down.”

“Why? We’re the only ones here. Oh wait! Maybe it’s more than nudes this time. Do I get to expose a pregnancy or cut someones brakes?” She giggled.

“It’s up to you. I mean, don’t do anyhting too crazy but yeah....I need you to get someone out of my way.” Jaehyun pictured Chanyeol and Jin, a breeze of uncertainty passing over him. Did he have to do this again?

Last time he’d gotten Wendy to hack into Jin’s laptop and ruin the boy’s chances at being interviewed for a Academics Website.

And the time after that, she very easily knocked Namjoon out of the running for an overnight trip to Japan for a University Tour. Each time, he felt bad before and after, but there was no way he could risk ruining his mother’s image of him. She’d been so happy the past few years and part of it was because her son was exceling at everything he touched. Jaehyun was determined to keep things that way.

“Here.” Jaehyun slid his phone across the table. A second phone he’d stopped using months ago, but kept updated without anyone knowing. There were some things on it even he didn’t like to see. But journals and diaries just couldn’t be trusted these days.

“Hm. Chanyeol. I recognize his face. Not my type.” Wendy swiped at the screen with her middle finger.

“Forget if he’s your type or not, he’s a pain in my these days.”

“Why? Trying to bang your girlfriend or something?”

“No. He’s just really smart. And athletic.”

“The worse.” She faked shock.

“Ready to order?” Taehyung approached, a goofy grin resting comfortably on his face.

“Two Honeycomb sundaes.” Wendy moved all her locks to one side of her head, giving Taehyung a long look up and down. The boy returned the look, blushing under her gaze.

“I really don’t want one.” Jaehyun said, tapping Wendy lightly on the palm.

“They’re both for me.” Wendy didn’t bother to look his way. “And I think we’re done here, big boy.”

“You’re sure? That’s all you need from me?” Jaehyun stood.

“Yeah just wire me the money like the last 2 times.” Wendy had yet to take her thirsty eyes off Taehyung.

“Hey.” Jaehyun hissed at her lack of subtly. Did she have to say everything out loud?

“Have a great night, buddy.” Taehyung cheesed at Jaehyun. “Sorry for nearly running you over earlier.”

“No worries.” Jaehyun headed for the door. “Good luck on the job.” He was speaking to both of them that time.

“You’re shoes!” Kibum came running back to the center of the shop. “You’re tracking mud all over the shop!” He was over dramatic, looking on the verge of tears when he pointed out Taehyung’s dark, muddied shoes. “Do you have even one solid brain cell?” Kibum pulled at his own hair.

“Oops.” Taehyung peeped just as Jaehyun let himself out. He was glad to see not too much time had gone by. If he drove fast, he could still get to the place he’d beeb thinking about since Principal Sook’s office.

A place he usually went to forget about everything that was weighing him down. It was cryptic and odd, he knew that. But still, he didn’t question it. Settling back into the car, Jaehyun shifted out of the sleeves to the trench coat. With his hands around the wheel, he took one long, guilty breath before heading for Dream Park.

Taeyong didn’t know much about this place. The fact that he even remembered how to get there surprised him. But again, maybe it was just that mountain of guilt steering him in the directions it pleased. For all he knew, he could have ended up in London next. Why not Peru? There was no telling.

As soon as he’d gotten a block away from Dream Park, he’d wound up turning around and jaywalking right back to the place. Not lingering, he power walked across that same wet, muddy grass, reaching the mouth of the woods where he and Jaehyun had watched Jongin go. There was nothing for him in there. That’s what he told himself. But of course, he ended up going inside regardless.

Less than two months after the night Jongin ran away, local police had found traces of blood and hair in the woods that they believed to belong to a totally different person who’d gone missing. Taeyong had still been young then, so he didn’t follow the news that well. If he remembered correctly, it was a high school boy running away from finals. Unfortunately, he had never been located and...the blood and hair found in the woods turned out to be Jongin’s.

The blood was found stained into the trunk and roots of a tree high up on a cliff in the woods. The hair had been found at the same time, tangled up in the earth. Back then, Taeyong was naïve enough to think the police finding something like that was a great, happy thing. He didn’t know what it suggested back then, so his hopes skyrocketed when he’d heard his biological mother talking about it to herself.

Only a day after the discovery of the DNA, it was announced to be Jongin’s, slashing everyone’s already dwindling hopes of finding the boy.

Jongin’s parent’s never spoke out and the police seemed to brush over the finding swiftly, not wanting to deal with two possible deaths of two different boys at once. Taeyong mostly recalled how hard everyone worked to tiptoe around the topic. His dad enrolled him in a tennis as well as basketball so he wouldn’t have time to set and wonder what happened to his buddy. It didn’t work. Not to mention, during that time, his mother’s schizophrenia had gotten much worse. If Taeyong wasn’t struggling to get a rebound in basketball or not have nightmares about the woods, then he was crying about something twisted his mother had said to him in the halls.

Looking back, he wondered how he managed to not snap like Jongin had. What was keeping him from running away besides the fact that he was a kid? He supposed it was the idea that he’d die like everyone assumed Jongin had.

For that, there were small, invisible parts of himself that were grateful to Jaehyun. But still, he couldn’t stand the guy for letting Jongin get away.

Taeyong stepped over a loose piece of caution tape that he had to assume was leftover from Jongin and that other boy’s investigation. The tape was a dark brown color now, all tattered and wrapped up in a ugly looking bush by his ankle. This had to be the spot. The place where they’d found the DNA. Taeyong couldn’t believe how he’d once again ended up somewhere he really hadn’t been trying to go.

Blinking fast, he wanted to suddeny be in Heechul’s kitchen eating a damn salad. That reminded him to turn on his phone. He dug through all the wrong pockets before remembering which one he’d dropped it in. He held down the power button, watching the screen come alive. He was impatient but couldn’t take his eyes off the screen, it seemed easier to focus on that than the fact that he kept winding up in bad places.

“Of all the places in this city...” He cussed to himself. The phone’s notifications rolled in one after another...all from Heechul. All except two others. One text from Ten asking if he’d gotten home yet.

There was something from a blocked number that Taeyong didn’t bother reading, he deleted it on reflex. After checking the time and making sure he knew the exact directions back to Heechul’s place, Taeyong slipped the phone back into his right pocket.

“Jongin...did you really die here?” He sighed, taking a long look around at the ugly, dead woods. Maybe whatever life was in such a place went on and died along with Jongin. Taeyong had never really thought about how it happened...the death.

It was the one thing he’d been able to keep from latching on to him over the years. The why and when, as well as the who often crept into his thoughts. But he never wanted to sit a fathom the thousand ways Jongin could have taken his last breath. “It’s my fault. No. Our fault. We weren’t there to rescue you..” Taeyong kicked at a clump of wet, dead leaves. The kick turned into a step forward and before he knew it, he was walking deeper into the woods.

“Speak for yourself.”

Taeyong his heels, a fist ready to swing on whatever had tailed him.

“You.” Taeyong wanted to swing even more now that he saw it was Jaehyun standing there. In his dark colored trench coat and a pair of cropped trousers that exposed a pair of plaid dress socks, Jaehyun looked very much out of place. But anything would look strange in such a place. Still, taeyong wasn’t happy to see the former friend. “What the actual hell do you think you’re doing? Following me around like some kind of..”

“Stop right there. Noboy’s following you. That requires giving a damn.” Jaehyun retorted.

“Which you do.”

“Again, wrong.”

“You care enough to swing on me the first chance you got. Didn’t even do any damage. Why’d you follow me? Are you that desperate for round two?” Taeyong braced himself. Despite the big talk, he hadn’t been in many fights and wasn’t sure if Jaehyun was going to charge him.

“Shut up already, Jesus. Listening to you talk is worse than seeing your face.” Jaehyun scoffed.

“Hey!”

“Hey yourself.” Jaehyun walked closer, making sure they stayed very much away from each other while closing the gap.

“If you didn’t follow me then why are you here? I don’t believe in coincidences.” Taeyong circled the space. Both of them were unable to take their eyes off the other, even less able to stand in the same spot for more than a moment. It would give the other too much time to say or do something reckless.

“I live in this city. You don’t. So you being here is way more of a coincidence than me.” Jaehyun told him.

“But I got here first. And this isn’t exactly a poppin hangout spot, so what the hell is the reason anyone would ever come here for a stroll? Especially someone like you.”

“What do you mean someone like me?”

“Someone who doesn’t care.” Taeyong fired.

“Care about what?” Jaehyun’s face twisted.

“Jongin!”

“You’ve got to be kidding me. Are you seriously living that far in the past?” Jaehyun asked.

“It stopped being the past when I moved back to this damn city. Now it’s the present.”

“Maybe for you. Not for me.” Jaehyun shurgged it off frivolously.

“Exactly because you don’t care about any of this , you never have.” Taeyong accused louder that time.

“Is that supposed to hurt me?”

“My fist in your face is supposed to hurt you.” Taeyong knew he wanted to fight Jaehyun again, but he hand’t expected to get so riled up only the second time they saw each other again. It felt premature, like he still wasn’t in control of what was going on with his body. Sort of like the way his mother would blame her irrational behavior on her illness.

“Been there, done that.” Jaehyun finally halted now that he and Taeyong were at opposite sides of the space.

“Either you don’t care and you followed me here...or you do care and you come here all the time to think about how letting Jongin go was a mistake. So which one is it?”

“Niether.”

“I told you, I don’t believe this is a coincidence.”

“You sound childish and dumb. I don’t know which is worse.”

“Your head is big and ugly, which one of those is worse?” Taeyong waited for a legitimate answer.

“Do you really think he’s coming back?” Jaehyun surprised both of them. He’d planned on just leting Taeyong fly off the handle to distract from his own reason for being there, but now...just like Taeyong, he wasn’t acting on his own. “I mean, do you really think coming here to see this place with your own eyes is going to change a single thing? What good are you getting out of it? And what does it matter if I care or don’t?” His hands flew out of the pockets of his trench, frustrated and red from the cold air.

Taeyong couldn’t answer any of those questions fast enough.

“He’s dead, Taeyong. No matter how much you care or how little I feel guilty, he’s dead and isn’t going to come walking through the trees anytime soon. Ever.” Jaehyun’s voice went up at random places, like he was struggling to keep himself in some sort of check.

“But you’d like that, right? For him to come back or at least be alive? So you wouldn’t feel so guilty.”

“Once again, speak for yourself.”

“So you don’t care?”

“Taeyong, stop it!”

“Stop what!? Stop making you face this?” Taeyong cut across, getting into Jaehyun’s face.

“You sound crazy! There’s nothing to face! Jongin made a stupid choice and now he’s..”

“Bastard!” Taeyong swung, missing Jaehyun’s whole face and getting him more in the neck. Falling backwards, Jaehyun grabbed Taeyong’s collar. They fell together, but at the last second Jaehyun flipped Taeyong and landed on top the boy.

They flailed their arms, both hungry for contact. Nothing landed and they just ended up wearing themselves out. Still, it was Jaehyun who ended up pinning Taeyong’s hands down at either side of the boy’s head. “You’re the one that made the stupid choice!” Taeyong growled. “Let me go!” He wanted to spit at Jaehyun but knew it would be taking things to a totally different level. The part of him that was still in control of himself knew better.

“How can you not feel anything!” Taeyong exclaimed.

“I didn’t do anything wrong!” Jaehyun finally matched Taeyong’s volume. They were full on shouting in the middle of the woods, probably waking up a family of nearby deer or whatever scampered around those parts.

“Keep telling yourself that!” Taeyong screamed back, lifting the lower half of himself as hard as he could manage. He just ended up jerking right into Jaehyun’s body with no success. Was he weaker than Jaehyun? The idea made him mad so he tried again and again, continuing to buck himself into the firm boy on top.

“I’ve been doing it!” Jaehyun’s tears dizzled onto Taeyong’s face harmlessly. “For all these years, I’ve been doing that! I’ve been telling myself that I did nothing wrong...” He interlocked his fingers with Taeyong’s, tensing while also going limp on top of him. “Been telling myself that I did the right thing by saving at least one of you...but after all this time, here you are, still hating me.” He sniffled, hiding half his face in the thick sleeve of his trench.

“Get off me.” Taeyong said calmly.

“Forget it. Forget everything, I don’t know what I’m saying.” Jaehyun got to his feet, totally turned from Taeyong. “Don’t speak to me at school or anywhere else we see each other. This time, I hate you.” He spat at Taeyong’s feet this time, reversing their history.

“I’m sorry.” Taeyong let the words leave his mouth without a fight this time.

“God, just shut up.” Jaehyun grumbled.

“I’m sorry that things didn’t go the way you wanted that night.”

“I’m serious, stop talking.”

“I know you wanted us to remain friends after that night, but it wasn’t possible. And even less possible now that I....” Taeyong cleared his throat. He didn’t want to say it, but again, it just seemed like it was going to fly from his lips anyway. “Especially now that I see you as Jongin’s killer.” He stabbed.

Jaehyun swayed backwards, looking like something sneaky had taken a swing at him. Taeyong was ready to go, sick of being inserted somewhere he didn’t wish to be without much choice. IF this was the way things were left with Jaehyun, then so be it. As wild as it sounded even to himself, he just wanted to get home to Heechul and the salad cookbook.

Stomping towards the right, Taeyong rumaged for his phone again.

“Wait.” Jaehyun was there again, Taeyong’s wrist in his hand. “That’s the long way.”

“Huh?”

“Go this way.” Jaehyun made sure not to look at the other boy in the face, instead keeping his head lowered as he lead them both back down the trails until they were out the mouth of the woods again. Back on the grass of Dream Park, Jaehyun dropped Taeyong’s wrist.

“Thanks.” Taeyong backed away a couple steps, still thinking round two could jump off.

“Get home safe. And like I said, stay away from me.” Jaehyun left first.

Alone in the middle of the grass, Taeyong was even more pissed at himself. Not because he’d ended up in two unhelpful places in under an hour, but because now, Jaehyun had a reason to hate him. He already wasn’t too sure he could live with this taste of his own medicine.

Ten’s parent’s were out for the night. Date night. It was relatively new thing they’d been doing and so far, they were bad at it. They kept forgetting or getting their schedules crisscrossed. Or, if they did get it right, they just went somewhere lame like the grocery store or to the drive-in to see a foreign film that was already available on Netflix. However, this time, they had outdone themselves and gotten tickets to an Opera or play or something that Ten didn’t really remember.

Shirtless, he stepped out of his steamy bathroom. The chills on his body were just as much from the chilly two story house as they were his nerves.

“Okay Ten, relax, no big deal. Just like last time.” He repeated to himself, posing to the side in his full body mirror. He admired and inspected his body. There were a few things he was unhappy with. Softly, he grabbed at his . Maybe these weren’t the right jeans. They’d have to be good enough, all his other pairs were either totally wrong or in the wash. Ten opened his phone’s camera, using one hand to get a better view at his body from different angles.

Finally, he put a shirt on his toned, damp body. Then he yanked it right off. “Button down? No...” He cleaned his room while he searched for the perfect top. A crisp white short sleeve...button down.

“No!” He yelped cutely at the sound of his personalized ringtone. He knew exactly who was calling. The phone went all the way to the final ring before Ten answered. “Hey.” He tried to sound cool. “Oh, yeah hang on, I’ll be right down.” He ended the call, cringing at his own voice.

All in under twenty seconds: Hair gel, lotion, cologne, different earrings and a mint. Then two more mints.

The doorbell buzzed, all noisy and obnoxious. Ten took the steps two at a time, trying not to slip on the wood with his sleek dress socks on. “I’m coming!” He tried again to sound more manly than his regular tone allowed. Just before his guest knocked, Ten took a deep breath and opened the front door.

“Hey.” Ten relaxed a pinch at the sight of the other boy’s admiring smirk. Not an expression Yuta showed many people.

“Hey, study buddy.” Yuta answered, his bookbag loosely over one shoulder. He was dressed wrong for the weather. A simple, lightweight long sleeved sweater that barely touched his waist and skinny jeans with stylish rips at the thigh and knee. “Are you gonna let me in or just watch me freeze?”

“Oh yeah, come in.” Ten stepped aside. Yuta enterted comfortably, closing the door himself.

“So.” Ten rocked on his heels.

“How long do we have?” Yuta dropped his bookbag.

“They’ll be back in three hours.”

“Perfect.” Yuta said just before using his finger tips to shove Ten into the nearest wall. He pressed his own frame agaisnt Ten’s, followed by his own lips. “Nice cologne.” Yuta pulled back for a second.

“It’s my dad’s.” Ten smiled.

“Here.” Yuta pulled the collar of his sweater down to reveal more of his neck and chest, covered in hickeys. “Mark me up.”

“Roger that.” Ten got to work, and biting at the other boy’s skin.

 

HI !! Okay so, HOW ABOUT THAT SURPRISE ROMANCE!? IM SHOOK.

YUTEN! Ten is my NCT bias and I don’t know why I find it really har to ship him with most other members lol but Yuta and him go really well together in my opion.

Also, I hope you liked the chunk of Jaeyong in this update! I have some wild ideas about their relationship and some interesting things planned for both boys separate from each other as well as together.

Kinda random to see Taehyung and Wendy added, right? Lol

Pay close attention to the newer characters showing up, they’re parts may seem small but in the long run, you’ll be surprised how important they were.

I’m going out of town for my birthday this weekend, so the next update may be a little behind, but I’ll try not to keep you waiting too long. In the meantime, I’m also a co-author on a new fic so bear with me.

THANKS FOR READING AND COMMENTING AND SUBSCRIBING!