Collision

BACK 2 U (1:27 AM)

Jaehyun left the meeting with Principal Sook feeling lighter, like maybe the quick flash of his history with Jongin and Taeyong was going to remain just that..a flash. Diving back into that deep pit of secrets and sadness wasn’t exactly at the top of his priorities. It was the past. And as far as he was concerned, none of it mattered anymore. He and Taeyong weren’t friends anymore, they hadn’t been since the last day anyone saw Jongin. And Jongin was dead! What was there to freak out over? The mention of their names? Jaehyun felt silly now, almost amused that he’d had such a reaction in the first place. This stalker guy...Jimin? Jaehyun wasn’t going to waste time pondering his connection to his former friends either. Clearly he was a lunatic who’d wound up behind bars, so what difference did it make to him?

“Whoa, that’s crazy stuff, huh?” A girl tugged at her boyfriend’s sleeve, dragging him to look at one of the four hanging tv screens inside the front office of Red Exo High. It was a spacious building with high, sleek walls painted in deep blues with splashes of maroon here and there. The floor was a sturdy cherrywood that never seeme to scuff or dim. The main desk, where the two, equally bitter receptionists always sat was long, constructed out of a pretty marble that stood out in the otherwise dark, lux room.

Jaehyun stood still, allowing the couple to cross in front of him. The girl, someone Jaehyun didn’t know was practically in hysterics over the news. “Really, sweetie, I’m into stuff like this! True love gone wrong, it’s so gripping.” She clung to her boyfriend’s arm, refusing to let him turn away no matter how much his face turned up in disgust. Jaehyun couldn’t blame the guy.

It made sense that someone like this Park Jimin person could pull such opposite reactions out of total strangers. To the excited girl, he was a of some sort, a vice or an itch that she could indulge in for those few moments, hoping her boyfriend wouldn’t judge her too harshly. And to her boyfriend, he was a dark figment of imagination. The kind of thing you just hope doesn’t really exist. And if it does, you pray it never touches you. Jaehyun wished he could explain it away as easily as the couple would, but to him, it was more.

Feeling like a caged animal, Jaehyun half turned, seeing Jimin’s face on every one of the four monitors hanging around him. It was almost as if someone waited for the exact moment Jaehyun got his mind to mellow out before they clicked play on the broadcast. Once again, Jaehyun had to listen to Jimin’s childish song about how Jongin and Taeyong were supposed to be together forever.

The airy, whimsical voice matched Jimin’s chipper visual, but it was a hugely twisted contrast to the string of accusations and convictions that ran across the bottom of the screen. Doyoung had been correct when he told Jaehyun how loony this Jimin person was.

“Honey, let’s go, I don’t want to see anymore.” The guy used both hands to pull his girlfriend out of the office. She protested, hanging in the doorway a bit longer. There was a moment where she caught Jaehyun’s gaze, her own eyes looking thrilled. Jaehyun’s couldn’t return the feeling. As if she’d been turned down for a date, she let go of the doorway, letting her boyfriend pull her down the hall.

“It’s really him...” Jaehyun muttered. “Taeyong.” The male anchor covering the story had an annoyingly positive attitude as he reported from the very bottom of the courthouse steps.

There were pictures of Taeyong appearing then fading away right beside the anchor. Then a side by side shot of Taeyong, Jimin and Jongin. “What does it all mean? Is it just a sick prank gone too far...or could it really be fueled by love?” The anchor man smirked, probably trying to hide his guilt at making such a serious story into a petty young adult novel pitch.

“We’ll have more on this story as it develops. I’m Lee Jinki and you’re watching Exodus Coverage. Back to you in the studio.” He signed off, letting his wide, elastic smile slip off into something somber at the last second.

Jaehyun’s brows furrowed. With his jaw clenched, he tried to figure out how much of himself this all deserved, if any at all. Did he really need to let himself be effected by any of it? A bad thing happened to Taeyong, but it didn’t have to mean anything to him. He could go on with his life, couldn’t he? Work on the Tennis 4 Tots event, keep making top scores on his exams, finally ask his mom for the car he wanted and maybe pursue an actual romantic relationship.

All that sounded great. But it also started to seem further and further away from Jaehyun’s grasp, being replaced by images of Taeyong and Jongin.

“Hey, are you mad at me or something?” Doyoung asked, a hurt look on his face. Jaehyun flinched a bit at Doyoung’s palm waving between the two of them. On reflex, Jaehyun caught the boy’s hand, holding it in place while he took half a minute to fix his own expression into something...normal? Jaehyun loosened his grab on Doyoung, without letting go.

“What are you talking about?” He smiled almost too warmly. Doyoung would know something was up. Jaehyun wasn’t the type to show any one person that much affection. Hand holding AND a big, happy grin? It wasn’t normal at all.

“I’m talking about you ignoring me for the past five minutes. And now this.” Doyoung lifted his hand, looking back and forth between the intertwined fingers and the boy on the other side.

“Oh, sorry. I’m just thinking about...” Jaehyun was usually a much better liar.

“About that stalker story again.” Doyoung said.

Calmly, he dropped their hands again, liking the feeling of it. Besides the two busy assistants who’s gotten to the office extra early, there was no one else around but the two boys. Doyoung hadn’t had that luxury in a long time. Anyone having Jaehyun to themselves was rare. He was in many ways the Ruler of the school, constantly in a position where everyone could get to him, but never really touch him. It made Doyoung a little jealous that he had to fall in line with everyone else most times.

“What stalker boy? I was thinking about the Tennis 4 Tots.”

“Aye, you’re usually a much better liar, Jaehyun.” Doyoung laughed, showing his teeth. With his free hand, he pointed at one of the screens. “I walked in and you were blood red, watching the brodcast for the second time today.”

“Again, I just zoned out.” Jaehyun bit back.

‘Sure, sure. Look, if you’re interested in stuff like that, my dad has a bunch of old records from his visits to the psyche ward. He’s interviewed some of the craziest..”

“Doyoung.” Jaehyun dropped the other boy’s sweaty hand. “I wasn’t watchng it, okay? I don’t care about any of it.”

“Okay.” Doyoung swallowed hard, regretting even saying anything to begin with.

“Let’s just head to homeroom. Sungjae said he’s bringing donuts..” Jaehyun tried to soften his voice that time.

“Yeah sure.” Doyoung said. “He always brings the cheap ones but sure.”

Again, as if someone had planned it, Jaehyun and Doyoung collided with Taeil in the doorway, each of them dropping something.

On their knees, the boys gathered their things, apologizing over one another. Actually, Doyoung and Jaehyun were just talking to themselves since Taeil hadn’t stuck around to help them or to give a proper sorry. With his sweater hood back over his head, he continued down the hall, looking like he was just being reeled in by some kind of hesitant magnetic force at the other end of the hall. Wherever he was going, he didn’t want to get there it seemed. He’d been that way the last few times Jaehyun had seen him.

“That guy’s a jerk.” Doyoung brushed himself, pouting at the scuff mark on his crisp white shoes.

“When did he enroll again?” Jaehyun was happy for the change of conversation. Taeil was interesting enough to keep his mind off Taeyong and Jongin until he got to class. “He was gone for a couple months.”

“Yeah he got back from America last week or so. Apparently that music contract he was bragging about online didn’t have the fine print he was looking for.” Doyoung scoffed, still throwing daggers at Taeil’s back.

“Online? He doesn’t have any social media.” Jaehyun said. “Are you guys, like, close?”

“Oh, well, I used to be in the same gaming circle as him. That’s all.” Doyoung started towards homeroom. “He’s a jerk online and a jerk in person.”

“You at shooters, so I know it wasn’t one of those.” Jaehyun’s joke fizzled in the air, barely even getting a chuckle from Doyoung. Was he still offended at Jaehyun’s reaction in the office? Typically the know-it-all had tougher skin than that.

Heechul was a like something out of a kid’s morning program. The kind that aren’t really about anything other than waking up your six year old with some cheesy songs about breakfast and listening to mommy and daddy. The more Taeyong watched the man, the more he was certain Heechul had been a cartoon character in a past life. His stringy black hair, his lanky build, clumsy looking features and the way he sounded a bit fickle no matter what he was saying. It all spelled out caricature to Taeyong. Not at all like his straight-forward, assertive older brother.

The train station wasn’t busy. Not because it was early or just that kind of day, but because nobody really took trains anymore. Why would they when there were faster buses and the amazing invention of Uber? If you were really despeate and had money to blow, you’d get a taxi or just fly. But trains were just sort of uncool, even for people traveling alone to a simple destination.

“Need some help?” Taeyong asked lethargically, not even looking up from the Snickers bar in his hand.

“No no no, I got it.” Heechul assured, straining his entire body. One of Taeyong’s suitcases had gotten stuck on the last step up onto the train, holding up the short but irriated line of people waiting behind them. The train’s driver, a round man with slitted eyes read the newspaper, humming to himself. Taeyong mimicked the driver’s attitude, focusing on the yummy warm chocolate in his hand instead of his Uncle’s struggle.

“Sir! We’ve all got places to go!” A voice groaned from the back of the line.

“Of course, of course, I’ll get this er inside...right.....NOW!” Heecul braced himself, then pulled back with all his might. “Jeez, Tae, what do you have in this thing? A car?”

“Nope. Dead body.” Taeyong joked. A mother of two behind him tsked at the comment.

“Right........NOW!” Heechul tried again. This time, Taeyong kicked the bottom of the luggae, lifting it all the way off the stair, sending Heechul backwards onto the driver’s lap.

“Finally.” The same voice sighed.

The bodies around Taeyong moved swiftly, boarding with their passes or their faire, all looking a different shade of uncertain. Taeyong wondered if all of them were trying to outrun something or start over like he was. And if so, why couldn’t they be as optimistic as him? Really, since leaving his house, he hadn’t been in such a bad mood. The news broadcast with Jimin had been a slap in the face, but also a needed wake up call that he was about to quite literally start over somewhere else. He couldn’t waste the chance to gain his normal back by speding every minute fixated on Jimin’s motivation and disturbed mental state.

“Do you want the window seat or the aisle?” Heechul waved Taeyong forward from a seat in the front mddle of the train. “When I was your age, I loved the window seat because I could see all the clouds better and figure out what they looked like.”

“Don’t they just look like clouds? And how young do you think I am, Uncle?” Taeyong finished his chocolate, sliding into a empty side across from Heechul altogether.

“Anyway! I’ve gotten your room all set up. Some books, some tech, some fresh underwear, I think you seem like a boxer kind of guy.” Heechul’s hands were everywhere, poorly illustrating everything he was trying to say.

His voice carried, again grabbing the attention of the few other parties around them. One of the youngsters with the mother of two looked back to sneer in Taeyong’s face because of the boxer comment. Were underwear funny to kids? Taeyong didn’t understand.

“Do you know how to cook, Uncle? My dad and step-lady so I ordered out most of the time.”

“Cook?” Heechul’s face went blank for a second after the question.

“Yeah, I remember a few years ago you nearly burnt the roof off your place trying to make flan.”

“Yeah, I’m still working on that flan recipe. But, I’m a great cook. Do you like home cooked meals?”

“Yeah.” Taeyong turned in his seat to face hus Uncle, not even noticing they’d already began traveling along the tracks. “What can you make?”

“You’re gonna love my cooking! I just purchased this cookbook that’s changing my life. It’s 200 Salad Recipes for the Single Man of Class!”

“Salad...” Taeyong repeated.

“Yeah, it’s mind blowing how many different types of salad a single man with class can make! You’re gonna be well fed every night, I swear! I think I’ll make the Tomoto Peach Salad tonight.”

“Uncle, salad isn’t a meal...you don’t even cook it.” Taeyong leaned back.

“Of course it’s a meal.”

“Nope. You’re wrong, I’m right.”

“You kids these days think you know it all.” Heechul laughed heartily, choking on his own spit.

“Uncle, it’s just a bunch of leaves.” He snapped. “And how young do you think I am!”

The few small children on the train formed some kind of superhero squad, all loud and busy. To most of the travelers, they were pests, keeping everyone from fully relaxing or getting any real shut eye, but Taeyong was grateful for their noise. The antics kept his mind from spilling over, creating a mess of questions he still didn’t have any clues to.

But even the kids dashing up and down the train with fake capes and sound effects wasn’t enough to keep Taeyong’s mind occupied for forever. Eventually, the lid on his thoughts popped. As blurred mountains, trees and modest buildings all started to mesh into one vague color, Taeyong once again tried to search himself for even a fragment of Jimin’s past.

It was no use, just like the other five hundred other times he’d tried it. Jimin was a stranger. A total stranger that knew Jongin and even Jaehyun. Taeyong felt wide open, like a piece of his chest had been removed, leaving a hole for someone like Jimin to peer through for their own twisted agenda. Was he ever going to find out who or what Jimin had really been after...in real life and his dream? He still refused to think of it as a nightmare. In the dream, Jimin had said he failed and was ‘he’ was moving on. And in the confession he’d stated that he couldn’t do it all by himself to begin with. There had to be another, smarter, more capable person pulling the shadow strings somewhere on the outskirts of it all.

Taeyong sunk into his cushioned seat, his hands in the pockets of his black zip-up. Heechul had given him a neck pillow to use, but Taeyong had given it to the kids to use as a ‘hostage’ they needed to save.

Maybe he’d been projecting. Maybe he was the hostage that wanted to be saved. From what? His own mind that wouldn’t let him rinse all the doubt and anxiety down the drain. Instead, the sink continued to fill, drowning that small bit of normalacy Taeyong was so desperate to get back.

As everything slowed, eventualy stopping all at once, Taeyong was almost angry to find himself back in such a familiar place. Dream Park. He was nine years young again, racing Jaehyun to the top of the intricate jungle gym. “It’s mine, it’s mine!” Jaehyun whined, tears already starting to form in his sensitive looking eyes. Back then, even just thinking about crying could make Jaehyun cry.

“Tough luck!” Taeyong reached the top of the gym seconds after Jaehyun.

“Taeyong, I got here first!” Jaehyun was right, as usual. He’d reached the big pirate steering wheel first.

“Hey, Jongin! Who do you think got herte first? Me or big head?” Taeyong yelled, trying to pry each of Jaehyun’s fingers off the wheel one by one. Each finger that popped off was replaced with one of Taeyong’s. “Hehe.” He grinned at Jaehyun in that innocent evil sort of way. Harmless even while he was pissing you off.

“Jongin, don’t take his side just because he brought the candy!” Jaehyun’s last finger slipped off.

“Jongin, tell big head it’s my turn to steer! We’re off to America! Woohoo!”

“Jongin!” Jaehyun yelled.

“Jongin!”

“Jongin..” Jaehyun and Taeyong headed back down the gym together. When Jaehyun tripped, nearly falling off the edge, Taeyong was there to grab him under the arm, pulling him back up.

“Thanks.” Jaehyun said through gritted teeth.

“Oh no.” Taeyong reached the sand first, freezing under the glare of Jongin’s father. The scruffy, muscular man loomed over Jongin’s body. There was a sharp smirk that sliced across his face.

“We were just playing...Jongin’s mom said it was..” Jaehyun tried.

“Zip it, kid.” Jongin’s father spat, nearly causing Jaehyun to piss himself. The two friends knew more than enough about Jongin’s father...the type of person he was.

No wonder Jongin was never afraid to sneak out into the woods, watch all sorts of slasher movies and mess with stray animals...his only real fear was his dad. Still with the cold smirk on his lips, Jongin’s father struck the young boy, cracking his form. Taeyong and Jaehyun yelled out, unable to make a sound as Jongin’s small frame chipped and broke to smaller pieces, littering the sand all around then with glistening shards.

Fed up, Taeyong grabbed Jaehyun’s wrist. “We have to rescue Jongin!” He declared without sound again. But Jaehyun wrist, and then the rest of him ghosted away, leaving nothing but the feeling of him. The memory of someone once standing there. Taeyong was shivering with nerves, watching with only half his face as Jongin’s father got closer. “Sir, please...”

Taeyong knew he could snap out of this dream whenever he wanted. His was asleep, but not the kind where you feel that comfortable, gentle suffocation feeling. The kids, the train itself and even Heechul holding a plesant conversation with the driver was keeping him partially awake.

Taeyong wanted Jongin’s father to get even closer, he wanted to kill the man who constantly hurt his friend. Then he’d wake up and feel better about never being able to do anything back then when they were kids. Kids being raised by unfit parents. Jaehyun’s crook of a father, Jongin’s abusive one and...Taeyong’s mother.

“I’ll kill you.” Taeyong told the man. Again, there was no sound leaving his mouth. His entire throat felt dry as bones. There was a shaking that felt like part of the dream at first. But it persisted, getting rougher. Then words started to drift through the sounds of the park, reaching Taeyong’s ear. Who the hell was shaking him? Who was trying to take this big moment away? One of those damn kids maybe. No, kids didn’t have hands so...clammy.

“What, what!” Taeyong snapped awake, giving up on his chance to land a fist to the man’s face.

“Wow you sleep like a rock!” Heechul was astounded, his mouth hanging wide open.

“Uncle, what is it?”

“Sorry to ruin your beauty sleep, but we’re here at the station.”

“Oh.”

“He doesn’t need to get any prettier.” A young woman with rosy cheeks smiled, passing by to exit the train.

“We’re related, ya know? Same genes.” Heechul struggled to wink at the woman. Taeyong was caught in the middle of reality and the remnants of his dream. Trying to shake off the fantasy world, he gathered some of his luggage. “Growing up, everyone said I looked like a model.” Heechul bragged on himself.

“Crazy how people change, huh?” Taeyong jabbed just before stepping off the train. Heechul was groaning in the background, calling Taeyong all sorts of adopted. Recklessly, Taeyong turned back, accidentally bumping chests with another boy.

“Oh sorry, man.” Taeyong hadn’t even felt someone behind him.

He bent over to pick up the boy’s wallet and the one grocery bag that had fallen with it. Without meaning to, Taeyong had gotten a glimpse at the boy’s name. Jongdae. Hm, he was handsome.

A defined, friendly looking face was on the ID. The version in front of Taeyong didn’t exactly match the chipper photo though. A tired scowl on his face, Jongdae snatched his things back from Taeyong. “Sorry again.” Taeyong felt like maybe one more apology would wipe the grimace off Jongdae’s face.

“Watch where you’re going, kid.” Jongdae sounded as tired as he looked. In light blue distressed skinny jeans and a stained grey sweatshirt, Jongdae shoulder checked Taeyong. He walked in what seemed like a random direction, not even bothering to check the next train’s schedule. He just...went.

“Do I really seem that young?” Taeyong was getting annoyed. “Jerk.”

“Who me? You’re the one who only took one piece of luggage!” Heechul complained, finally making it out of the train. “Jeez.”

“No, not you, you’re not cool enough to be a jerk, Uncle.”

“Oh thank you.” Heechul nodded. “Wait.”

“So, where now? Any cyber café’s around here? Maybe a Subway? I could go for a toasted roast beef on white bread.” Taeyong rubbed at his stomach, picturing the warm foot long laid out in front of him.

“Yeah sounds great. Hopefully they have one at your new school.” Heechul laughed.

“Huh?”

“Don’t play dumb.”

“Uncle, can’t I just skip class this one day? Let’s hang out. Get to know each other.”

“You tried to BBQ my pet turtle when you were eleven years old, I know you well enough.”

“How many times do I need to say sorry for that?”

“You’ve never apologized!”

“Okay, well sorry.” Taeyong shurgged. “Now can I ditch?”

“Apology not accepted. And no. C’mon, we’ve gotta drop your stuff off at my place and then get you to registration before the school office closes.” Heechul didn’t wait around for more of Taeyong’s whining. With bags over his shoulders and around his neck, he power walked into the station.

Heechul’s car was much nicer than Taeyong had been expecting. Yeah sure, he worked for the same big company as Dong-Wook, but still, Heechul just didn’t seem like the kind of guy who could drive a cool car. Minivans or electric scooters seemed more his vibe. Taeyong helped load his luggage into the backseat of the white Mercedes, appreciating the new car smell.

“Did you just buy this car?” Taeyong buckled in.

“No, it’s a specific freshener I use.” Heechul said abset-mindedly, scrolling through some of his phone’s notifications. From the looks of it, he was somewhat popular. He opened and closed more than a few text messages, emails and voicemails. “I can put one in your toom too if you want.”

“No thanks.”

“Too late, I already did.” He grinned. “New room smell.” The car purred awake, smoothly exiting the congested parking garage. “I think you’ll like Exodus City.”

“I’ve lived her more years than you have, Uncle.” Taeyong reclined. “Before we moved.”

“Oh right, right.” Heechul hummed. “To be honest, I don’t like it all that much. But I’ve got to be here because of my work. Actually, I’ve got to go to the office later today.”

“Hmm Work hard.” Suddenly, Heechul sounded a lot like Dong-wook. They were brothers, but didn’t have much in common besides working for the same company in totally different branches.

“We’re almost there.”

“To a Subway?” Taeyong tried again.

“To my house! Our house actually.” He playfully ruffled Taeyong’s hair. It was awkward, only getting a side-eye from Taeyong that spoke volumes. “Sorry, that was weird for me too.” Heechul gulped.

“Welcome home.” Heechul said, cheesing. He immediately looked more relaxed driving in his own neighborhood.

“Maybe one of these people will feed me.” Taeyong said, noticing a few residents sprinkled about. The houses were big, but not too flashy. Lawns were neat, but not over designed. It gave Taeyong the impression that the residents weren’t home much.

“Don’t be fooled, some of my neighbors are real jerks.” Heechul said, cheerfully waving to an older couple standing in the middle of their driveway. Taeyong noticed a somewhat rundown looking house at the start of the street. The lawn was crispy, turning a dark yellow tint with a chipped garage door that looked like the elements had done a number on it. “That place has been vacant a few months now, I’m not surprised nobody wants it looking the way it does.”

“I’ll take it.” Taeyong half joked.

“Okay, don’t laugh at my lawn knomes.” Heechul parked in his wide driveway, far away from the actual street and the other homes. Taeyong almost had to squint to see the few neighbors who were out making small talk or washing their luxury cars. Again, he was surprised to see his Uncle had such a cool looking place. The man had moved a few times since the last time Taeyong visited and this was by far the best home he’d had so far. “There’s organic roast beef in my freezer if you’re still hungry.”

“Pass.” Taeyong peeped. Before Heechul’s key even touched the lock, the front door opened. Taeyong and Heechul stiffened.

“Welcome back! I tossed out that weird looking beef.” The man in uniform greeted.

“Minho.” Heechul seemed to know the guy. Still, he looked less than excited to see him. Almost as if there was immediately something they both wanted to say to the other but held back because of Taeyong.

“Oh. Is this your nephew? I forgot you were bringing him today. I thought we could watch the game, but I guess not.”

“You’re a cop.” Taeyong wasn’t sure if it was a question or not. Minho was clearly in uniform, but there was no police car on the road and...well, did cops just hang out at other people’s homes during the day?

“Sure am. Defender of justice.” Minho gave a salute. “Nice to meet you, I’m Minho.”

“Hi.” Taeyong stepped inside after Heechul, shaking Minho’s hand politely.

“You came by in the middle of your work day, who the heck are you defending?” Heechul pointed out.

“It’s my lunch break.” Minho defended, shutting the door like it was his own home. He even locked it and activated the security system. “And I’m defending your house. You know, you didn’t even remember to lock up before you left?” Minho shook his head, casually strolling back to the kitchen where a large pizza box rested on the island top.

Taeyong rushed for it, throwing the lid open. Empty.

“Sorry, kid.” Minho rubbed at his toned stomach. “A man’s gotta eat.”

“A whole pizza seems extreme.” Heechul huffed at the dishes Minho had all scattered over the sink top.

“So, Taeyong, how’s your dad? You know, I used to go to school with him.” Minho sat in the barstool, arms folded, showing off his defined arms.

“He doesn’t have time to talk, he’s gotta get down to Red Exo for registration.” Heechul cut in, a sour look on his face. “And you’ve gotta get back to work, I’m sure there’s a strretwalker or druggy somewhere that needs a talking to.”

“Or another bag of tofu beef that needs to be destroyed.” Minho muttered.

They launched into another round of bickering, not even noticing when Taeyong strayed away, finding his way up the stairs.

First room on the right, he could tell it was his the moment he smelled the “new room” scent wafting his way. Dropping his one bag, he sighed. He wondered when it was going to hit him...when the normalacy was going to swing by like a pendulum, smacking into him. How long did it take before he was just like every other junior at his high school? When did he get to be someone other than that boy on the news? Maybe when he stopped dreaming of Jimin and his dead friend.

“Jaehyun.” Taeyong almost didn’t recognize his own voice. He hadn’t been meaning to say that name out loud, but the moment he thought of his old friend, the name just seemed to step right off his lips. The name hung around in the air, staring Taeyong back in the face for a while. He knew Jaehyun wasn’t his friend anymore, there was no reason for him to expect any sense of normal from that guy. In fact, if he was lucky, they wouldn’t even run into each other.

“Ah, dude, I read this one last week, it’s lame.” Mark wacked Haechan over the head with the manga. “And you totally ruined the Bleach ending for me.” They slid into their seats in the way back of the class.

“There was nothing to ruin, it was totally predictable.” Haechan shook his head, breaking out a brand new manga Mark had never seen before. It’s cover all bright and bloody.

“Aye, let me read it!” Mark snatched it.

“Hey, I haven’t even gotten past the first chapter yet!” Haechan took it back, eyes narrowed.

“I’ll read it for you and tell you if it .” Mark reasoned, a sly look flickering over his animated face.

“Dweebs.” Johnny laughed in a not funny whatsoever way. With his only friend, Yuta, he peered down at the younger boys. “Who even reads this ?” He snatched the manga from Haechan’s hands, flipping through the pages lightning fast.

“Bull, , lame, stupid, bull, lame, childish, weak, .” He got to the last page, tossing it to Yuta over his shoulder.

“And only a 14+ rating.” Yuta teased. “Which means even my four year old cousin is too cool for this .”

“Give it back.” Mark stood.

“Sit down, ya ninja turle.” Johnny used the tips of his fingers, pushing Mark back just lightly enough the get the point across.

“Here take it back, I wouldn’t even wipe my with this.” Yuta dropped the manga back on Haechan’s desk, tsking at Haechan’s urgency to check the pages for any rips.

“You’re Japanese!” Mark pointed out. “How can you make fun of us for reading manga?”

“He’s got a point.” Johhny said.

“Yeah, shouldn’t you think it’s cool? It’s like, from your people.” Haechan added, his voice weaker than Mark’s.

“I don’t think it’s uncool, I think you’re uncool.” Yuta said, his handsome face and pretty smile conveying nothing but disgust. He and Johnny had that quality. From afar, on the outside looking in, they seemed like handsome boys with regal smiles, nice clothes and big social circles. But that wasn’t the case.

They were both rude and rebellious, usually getting satisfaction out of simply defying or disrupting whatever they could. Not to mention, they actually weren’t all that popular. They stuck together, either pissing off or attracting smaller groups along the way, but never growing in numbers. It wasn’t that people were fearful of them, they just avoided them completely.

“Americans read comics all the time. Like, Batman and Joker.” Haechan moved on to Johnny, who looked positively uninterested in arguing his case.

“Well, yeah, but Americans aren’t the coolest people either.” Johnny shrugged. “You’d fit in.”

“Bro, he’s right, have you seen their President?” Mark’s brows shot up.

“Jaehyun is coming.” A frail looking girl rushed into class, her hair flying every which way as she slammed into her seat.

“All hail.” Yuta rolled his eyes.

“What a joke.” Johnny’s expression was darker, leaking with a bit more disdain than some of the other boys in class who just found Jaehyun too handsome or too smart for them to properly compete with. Johhny didn’t think Jaehyun was better than him in any way or shape. He just couldn’t stand him.

With Doyoung at his side, Jaehyun entered homeroom, his eyes bright with a fake sincerity that no one other than Johnny ever seemed to spot. Like some kind of public figure making a paid appearance, Jaehyun waved, greeting everyone at once while managing to single out a few specific students here and there. Some desperate, al ugly girls rushed Jaehyun with boxed lunches or letters sealed in pastel envelopes.

“Ah, wait till after class.” Doyoung complained, accepting the letters himself. “Oo, this one feels heavy.”

“Let’s get settled before our intructor arrives.” Jaehyun announced modestly. There was no need for assertiveness, everyone listened to him. They were happy to. Glad to hang on to his every word. Even before he was the trusted and valued class representative, people were more than willing to obey him.

Making a point to move slower than everyone else, Johnny and Yuta took their seats informally.

“Fine.” Jaehyun glanced at them for no time at all, used to their behavior.

Homeroom had ended up being a mess. The intructor showed up late, with a chip on his shoulder. Yuta had mouthed off and gotten everyone extra homework. Suprisingly, Yuta wasn’t even upset. He was smart and knew the material well. It was those like Mark and Haechan who were upset. They barely knew what chapter the rest of the class was on. Towards the middle of the class, they’d been given back their quiz grades, only to get an extra helping of homework as punishment for about three people passing. Doyoung, Yuta and Johnny.

“I should have let you take my quiz for me.” Johnny shurgged, balling up his results. He tossed it over his shoulder, smiling to himself when he heard it smacking into Haechan’s face. After a twenty minute lecture, their instructor stormed out. The few courses after that had been routine, uneventful and almost depressingly slow. Finally, lunch hour trudged along, breathing life into the students again.

“I’m in the mood for that bakery around the way. Wanna go?” Doyoung was talking mostly to himself, making sure to stay in pace with Jaehyun. There wasn’t much pace to keep since they were frequently stopped in the halls, where more fangirls and a few fanboys gifted Jaehyun with whatever they saw fit. Cologne, candies, chapstick, letters and even two stuffed toys.

Doyoung watched them all, unsure if he should be bitter or not. True, Jaehyun was his best friend...but here he was, making conversation by himself, barely able to get a look from Jaehyun when he was being flanked by adoring fans. Didn’t they realize how little Jaehyun really cared about them? Doyoung felt a bit of relief at that fact. At least he knew Jaehyun best.

“Sure, that bakery sounds fine.” Jaehyun said three minutes later, in the middle of accepting another stuffed toy from some boy with sweat dripping from his forehead. Even after Jaehyun said thank you and moved on, the boy still looked worried he’d be rejected.

“Oh, you heard me?” Doyoung smiled.

“Of course I did.” Jaehyun wasn’t even bothering to look over his shoulder. He just kept that same, modest but confident smile on his face, thanking everyone who complimented or gifted him with something. It seemed like they’d never make it out the hall.

“Hey, Ten!” Doyoung yelled, suddenly spotting the Thai boy at the end of the hall. “You skipped class!”

“Again..” Jaehyun mumbled, only looking at Ten with half his face. He was caught up pretending to care about some volleyball tournament two younger girls were inviting him too. Doyoung ran ahead to confront Ten on Jaehyun’s behalf.

“Ten! Ten! Don’t act like you can’t hear me!” Doyoung rushed.

“Dammit. This guy...” Ten turned, hoping if he looked inside his locker long enough, he’d just become invisible to the eye.

“I can still see you.” Doyoung ruined that notion.

“Uh, dammit, what do you want, Doyoung?”

“You can’t just skip class like that, it makes Jaehyun look bad as class rep.” Doyoung poked his head into the locker with Ten.

“Don’t you know there’s a ring of students dealing fake identification cards? Or that someone has slashed the Principal’s tires twice? I mean, those things have to be more important than me skipping class to practice.” Ten backed out of his locker, a bit startled at Doyoung’s flaring nostrils.

“Practicing for a mid-term is one thing. But you’re just doing....just..” Doyoung checked for Jaehyun over his shoulder.

“Just doing what? Just dancing?” Ten raised one brow, basically daring Doyoung to say it. As playful and lighthearted as Ten was, he got stressed easily. Not to mention, he hated being questioned this way.

“Well yeah.” Doyoung said flatly.

“Doyoung, I’ve got like four auditions next month. One of them is for an actual company. My practice is just an crucial as your practice.”

“Everyone else in class has to make sacrifices and multitask.”

“Whatever. I’ll be there after lunch.” Ten said just to end the coversation. Whether he was going to show up or not was still very much undecided.

“Noted.” Doyoung was still dead serious. Ten nodded once, hiding the slew of cusses behind a simple smile. He actually didn’t dislike Doyoung that much, he just couldn’t stand having to defend his dance to anyone.

Headed for the exit at the end of the hall, he checked his phone, wondering when Taeyong was gonna text back. “That jerk better show up today so I can kill him.” Ten slipped his phone back into the pocket of his basketball shorts, suddenly remembering he hadn’t showered or changed after hours of practice.

Jaehyun placed a hand on Doyoung’s shoulder, not for any other reason than to let him know he’d caught up. Doyoung didn’t even get a single word out before Jaehyun was leading their way again, a bit faster than before.

“I’m gonna order the Apple turnover, what about you?” Doyoung was on Jaehyun’s heels again, feeling smug. All the others could try as hard as they wanted, but he was the one going to lunch with Jaehyun. For those fifty minutes, he was more special than all of them combined.

“Is there a short cut?” Jaehyun asked without looking back.

Stepping out of the hall, Doyoung thought it over. “Sure.” He lied. Clearly Jaehyun wanted to get away from the pests around them as fast as possible.

“What was Ten’s excuse anyway?” Jaehyun waited for Doyoung to steer them in some new direction before the crowd caught up with them.

“Uh, he barely had one.” They both spotted Ten a few feet away, making a phone call that seemed to have his face all twisted up. He wasn’t exactly angry...yet.

“You said you’d be here today, what the hell?” Ten said as soon as Taeyong answered his cell.

“I’m here.” Taeyong defended right away.

“What? Really? Why didn’y you text me?”

“Cause I’m telling you now.” Taeyong got out of the parked car, trying to keep up with Heechul and drink in the size of the campus around them. Even from the parking lot, the school seemed to be swallowing them up. “Anyway, where are you, I’m in the main lot.”

“Main lot? Oh, I’m near there..” Ten peered out, getting excited.

“Are you busy? I’m headed to register in the main office.”

“I have to shower but...”

“I’ll watch you.” Taeyong joked.

“Very funny.” Ten didn’t laugh. “Oh! I see you! Whos’ that guy you’re with? A sugar daddy?”

“Shut up, it’s my Uncle.”

“I’m coming!” Ten hung up. “TAEYONG!!!!” He shouted, waving wildly from where he stood. All the way in the parking lot, Taeyong heard his friend’s shrill, cracking call.

“CHITTAPHON!!” Taeyong’s voice was lower, seeming to catch everyone’s attention all at once. Or maybe it was just nobody around was used to hearing such a name like Chittaphon screamed at the top of one’s lungs.

One person in paricular stiffened, his senses all blurring together. Jaehyun felt like he was on auto-pilot, suddenly only have one destination, one goal, one operation. All of it spelled Taeyong. Find Taeyong. See Taeyong. Confront Taeyong.

“My GPS says we can go this way.” Doyoung looked up from his phone, his eyes bulging to see an empty space where Jaehyun’s body had just been. “Jaehyun, what is it!?” He shouted, hesitant to follow after Jaehyun.

“Whoa.” Ten moved out of Jaehyun’s way.

Sprinting, Jaehyun weaved in and out of smaller groups fans and anyone else who stepped into his path. Even if they hadn’t moved, Jaehyun probably would have just shattered through them. At least it felt that way. The moment he spotted Taeyong in the parking lot, he only had one emotion. Desire.

A untrained, untamed desire to reach out and feel his former friend with his own hands. To know that finally there was a chance to put a punctuation at the end of their last encounter.

“Jaehyun!” Doyoung yelled, finally decided to chase Jaehyun.

“Friend of yours?” Heechul paused, spotting Jaehyun from where he stood.

“TAEYONG!” Jaehyun shouted, flying down the concrete steps that lead to the parking lot.

“That big head...” Taeyong dropped the cell phone, not even hearing the thud it made. “JAEHYUN!”

The two boys were like fireballs, spit right out of the dragon’s mouth, only one course available to them.

“TAEYONG!” Ten ran.

“JAEHYUN!” Doyoung was right behind him.

“What the heck is going on here?” Johnny stopped on his way off campus, holding on to the back of Yuta’s shirt. “Who’s he?” He took his time sizing Taeyong up from far away.

“Hm.” Yuta wasn’t as interested.

The closer the former friends got to each other, the hotter their fists burned, the heavier their steps turned. The bigger their guilt grew, the wider their resentment spread and the deeper it all hurt! Until finally, all the years before and after Jongin mashed together, exploding outward in the only display the boys could manage.

Meeting in the middle of the lot, barely able to stop their body’s from slamming into one another, the boys swung.

There was an almost cartoonish sound that came from both their fists meeting the other’s face at the same second. With one of their eyes covered by the other boy’s fist and the other locked on their target, they both fell backwards...satisfied.

“For Jongin..” They each thought.

 

HI! I hope you liked this update! I tried to have it done earlier today, but life happened.

Hopefully my new work schedule allows me to stay on this weekly updating routine. So far, I think it will.

Anyway, I just wanna thank everyone who’s checked this fic out or left a comment!

So we finally have our two main characters in the same place at the same time! I’m glad I was able to get them back together rather quickly. Soon enough I’ll be adding in some of the thriller and mystery elements...and Romance! I hope by this point you’ve found someone or something about this fic to look forward to! See you in the next update where jaehyun & taeyong continue to resent each other!