Runaway

BACK 2 U (1:27 AM)

 

Principal Sook had her back to the three of them.

It was the opposite for Jaehyun and Taeyong, who kept stealing long, vicious glares at one another. Seated on either side of Heechul inside Principal Sook’s chic office, the boys replayed the incident over and over in their heads, both wishing they’d punched just a little bit harder.

Jaehyun’s bruised lip wasn’t enough for Taeyong. And the bloody nose Taeyong was sporting didn’t give Jaehyun the sense of acompishment he’d been looking forward to. Really, if either one of them deserved an whooping more, it was Taeyong without a doubt. Growing up, he and Jongin were always teaming up agaisnt Jaehyun, teasing him and running off to do their own thing when he wasn’t looking. Back then, Jaehyun had been too afraid to stand up for himself, but that wasn’t the case anymore. If Taeyong still wanted to be that alpha male type...that strong willed, overbearing and abrasive personality then he’d have to do it somewhere else. Red Exo High was Jaehyun’s castle. There was no way he’d let this jerk from his past waltz on campus and change the order of things.

Heechul was tense in his chair, his knuckles almost white from how tight he was gripping the sides of the wooden chair. It was a chair from the hall that Sook’s assistant had pulled in for him. Jaehyun and Taeyong got the nice, white leather seats even though they were the ones in trouble. Looking to his left, he noted Jaehyun’s great posture first. The boy was almost like some kind of stuffed doll, sitting on display for a polishing or grade. Jaehyun’s nostrils still flared, releasing heavy but otherwise silent waves of frustrated energy. Whoever this guy was, he was pissed. And not the kinda pissed that passes a few minutes after you realize you still have to move on with your day...he was like, angry to his core.

Heechul looked away a second before Jaehyun noticed him staring. Still, the Principal’s round body stayed facing her office window that overlooked more than half the front of the school. Heechul couldn’t help feeling like he was in some kind of HQ or command center. Discreetly, he looked over at Taeyong.

His nephew was slumped down in the chair, arms folded with legs sprawled outward in a V shape. Could he look any more apathetic about what he’d done? Heechul grunted at him. “What?” Taeyong snapped back without looking over. “Can you at least appear to be sorry?” Heechul whispered.

“Not possible. He doesn’t care about anymore other than himself.” Jaehyun , his features hardening the moment Taeyong faced him head on. “Because of your little stunt, I’ve been humiliated in front of my peers.” He went on, gripping the arm of his chair to keep from getting to his feet. Heechul wondered if the Principal was going to say anything at all before 2 sparked.

“My little stunt? Are you stupid? You swung on me too, you crybaby.” Taeyong hissed back.

“I’m not apologizing to him, Principal Sook.” Jaehyun delcared before Taeyong even finished speaking.

“Like I want an apology from you. You can take your sorry and shove it.” Taeyong leaned over, his words nearly burning Heechul’s skin off.

“I’m not sorry! That’s the whole point! I’m not sorry and I’d do it again!”

“You wouldn’t get the chance.” Taeyong said all smug.

“Try me.” Jaehyun lost control, along with his grip on the chair. The two enemies stood at the same time, both trying to decide just how much they remembered about the other. Had he changed? Was he sorry? Would he hit me again if I waited to long to swing first?

Taeyong acted first, deciding he didn’t have as much to lose. He flinched at Jaehyun, getting a second of surprise out of the other boy. Jaehyun reached out, his fingers desperate to grab at Taeyong’s smirking pink lips. Taeyong was too prepared, leaning back just skillfully enough to avoid Jaehyun’s claw.

He took a swipe, getting a chunk of Jaehyun’s shirt in his fist before Heechul stood, breaking Taeyong’s grasp with his own. “Enough, Taeyong!” Heechul panted.

“Young man.” Sook finally took less than three steps away from the window. She was sort of unbalanced on her own two feet, her expression more relaxed than Heechul had expected.

“Do you realize what kind of situation you’re in? You come onto my campus and physically assault one of my students with no provocation whatsoever. I have half a mind to have the cops involved.” She sat on the edge of her desk, making sure Heechul understood the weight of her warning even if Taeyong didn’t. Surely, the other adult in the situation would realize how serious it all was. Heechul gulped.

“I’d rather be locked up than go to school with this prick.” Taeyong sat, arms folded even tighter than before.

“Give it a couple years, you’ll get there.” Jaehyun seethed.

“Besides, I’m a student here! Not some thug off the street.”

“No, you were on your way to enroll. And had you actually been a student when you attacked Jaehyun, your punishment would be only slightly lighter.” Sook stared him down, a sugary tone that didn’t quite match her bored expression.

“With all due respect, Principal, this wasn’t a one man show..” Heechul started, feeling like the bias towards Jaehyun was too much. “What about a punishment for both boy’s that’s equal and fair instead of just threatening my nephew?”

“With all due respect, sir, as long as you’re on my campus, I make the law.” Sook wasn’t moved.

“However.” She sighed, giving her full attention to Jaehyun suddenly. There was a long moment where she didn’t budge, seeming to be making things up as she went. “This time, I’ll let you off with a warning. Both of you.” She added the last part as more of an afterthought.

Heechul figured Jaehyun was just that important. Even the Principal didn’t want to upset him. If anything, it made him wonder if maybe Taeyong had a good reason to deck him in the face.

“We thank you.” Heechul bowed twice. The second time was on Taeyong’s behalf.

“I’ll need to be assured something like this won’t happen again. Because then, I won’t be able to show such kidness.” Sook said, again only looking at Jaehyun. It wasn’t until after her precious student nodded that she let her complacent eyes move back to Taeyong.

“We promise, we promise. Thank you.” Heechul rushed the words out before Taeyong had a chance to say anything slick.

“Then go. Reflect on your mistakes. Study. Just go.” Sook looked relieved to have it over with, swiftly getting back behind her desk. Heechul and Taeyong got up to leave, nearly knocked over by Jaehyun flinging himself towards the doorway first. “Move.” Taeyong said.

“You move.” Jaehyun refused to let them go first.

“I said move.”

“I heard you. I said you move.”

“Gosh, such a crybaby. Fine, go.” Taeyong stepped aside.

“I’m not a crybaby.”

“Says the crybaby.”

“Well, then a crybaby kicked your .” Jaehyun ridiculed. Taeyong rolled his eyes, his face stretching into a tickled grin. “Laugh, I don’t care.” Jaehyun persisted, still mad that Taeyong was this way. Unbothered, unable to break or feel any pain. That’s how he’d always gotten the upperhand. His skin was thick and no matter how long or hard Jaehyun pondered the best way to get a rise out of him...it always backfired.

“Sure, sure. If that helps you sleep tonight. On that swollen lip.” Taeyong shoulder checked Jaehyun out of the way, stepping into the front office again. Jaehyun was right behind him, feeling desperate again. Desperate to finally prove to Taeyong that he was the bigger, stronger one between them.

“Get some ice on that thing before it gets bigger than your head.” Taeyong got in one last jab, heading out the building without Heechul.

“Really, I apologize on my nephew’s behalf. I don’t know what history the two of you have but...” Heechul started.

“History. That’s all it is.” Jaehyun shut the man up. “Have a good day, sir.” He half bowed, leaving out the side door instead.

Jaehyun hadn’t cooled off enough yet and The student body was so predictable, he knew exactly what he’d walk into if he headed back to the front of the school. A mob. A friendly, concerned one...but still, a mob.

Again, he felt a longing to blend in for a change. Maybe he’d be much happier if he was someone like Taemin. The random guy in his Music Appreciation course that got basic grades, little to no attention and hardly ever opened his mouth to utter a word. Did he have a better life than Jaehyun? Easier? There wasn’t any point pondering it in the long run, Jaehyun was just going to do what he always did. Endure it.

He’d hidden himself in the Young Professional Club room. With the door locked and the lights out, he just sat at Doyong’s desk for the remainder of the lunch hour.

There were many times since Jongin’s presumed death that Jaehyun had thought about what he wanted to say or do to Taeyong if they ever met again. In all those instances, he never imagined it would go the way it just had. Always, he saw himself more or less taking the high road, letting Taeyong drown in all the guilt and anger. Was it all just history like he’d said to Heechul? Possibly. Or maybe it was bound to become the present and future.

The light coming from Doyoung’s laptop was weak, growing fainter as the screensaver started up. Sitting there, with only a small sqaure of light on his face, Jaehyun allowed his mind to take him somewhere he’d been avoiding since seeing Jimin on the brodcast. Since he heard Jongin and Taeyong’s names spoken out loud again.

Several years prior. At 1:27AM, Jaehyun and Taeyong woke up out of their respective beds to follow Jongin’s instructions from earlier that Saturday.

Meet me at the park right before 1:30am, if you don’t, you’ll regret it

Jongin was always that way. Putting Taeyong and Jaehyun in situations where they’d go left or right, backwards or forwards, agree or fight. Most times Jongin hadn’t even done it on purpose, it was just because Taeyong and Jaehyun were so fickle that they always ended up at the other’s neck.

Jaehyun didn’t like sneaking out, he wasn’t a good liar and his parents were light sleepers. But, Jongin had showed up with another black eye that day. And this time, it actually seemed to hurt him. Physically, of course, it was ugly and sensitive to even the smallest breeze.

But it was deeper this time, Jongin finally looked broken by the abuse of his parents, mainly his father, a police officer of all occupations.

Jaehyun didn’t feel like he had a choice. When Jongin said they’d regret not meeting him at Dream Park, he meant it. So they went.

I’m leaving

Jongin had announced it with an easy-going shurg. An overstuffed backpack at his feet, he waited for the boys to say something. But they were either too sleepy or too surprised by his declaration, so he’d just gone on without their approval or objection.

Forever. I’m not coming back ever. At this point, my dad will kill me or my mom. At first I was okay with it. With dying. But...well, I’m leaving instead. Who can we go to? Not the police, they’re all my dad’s friends and they didn’t help the last two times. I wanted to say bye because you’re my only friends. I couldn’t tell you earlier because if you ratted me out, it’d be too easy for someone to catch me. Now, if you snitch...

He’d only been looking at Jaehyun when he talked about them snitching on him.

Now if you snitch, I’ll be halfway gone by the time anyone believes you. So, I guess should be saying sorry for tricking you like this. Well...goodbye.

Jongin was an idiot. At least that’s what Jaehyun knew in that moment. Did he really think he’d be able to run away from home and survive? With no money, food, shelter or protection from people way worse than his father?

This wasn’t even his first time running away. Every time before, he failed. After barely a day he’d always end up back at Dream Park, crying because a cop or some nice old lady had brought him home. Once he came back on his own.

Jaehyun was silent the entire time, knowing for certain Taeyong was going to tell Jongin how ridiculous it all was. Instead...

I’m coming with you

Taeyong had said it. But it took a while for Jaehyun to realize t it. Were they both out of their entire minds? Jaehyun went lightheaded, only hearing bits and pieces of what the two were planning. Jongin hadn’t rejected Taeyong’s self-invite. In fact, they started talking about how they could orchestrate The whole thing even better.

What about your mom and dad?

Jongin had asked Taeyong, a wise sounding question that he couldn’t keep bottled up. As much as he wanted to be with his friends forever, he didn’t want them to suffer too. Taeyong coming with him was nice in theory, but was it right?

My dad doesn’t even know I’m there and my mom is getting worse...Taeyong reasoned quickly.

Before Jaehyun could catch up to their plans, the two boys were walking ahead of him, headed straight for the mouth of the woods behind the park. Were they really just going to run off into the forest and live with the fairies and big bad wolves?

Forget it, it won’t work. You can’t come with me, you’d have the whole city looking for you. It’s not like that with me, my parent’s won’t care.

Finally, Jongin was making sense, pushing and pulling away from Taeyong. The bruised boy turned his back to them and scooped up his backpack in one big movement. His feet were blurs as he dashed away from them, ignoring all Taeyong’s pleas.

“Come back, come back, wait for me!” Taeyong screamed. “I’m scared of my mom!” He tried to chase Jongin but there was no use. Jaehyun had his arms around Taeyong’s waist, his tears soaking the boy’s sleepwear. “Jaehyun, let go! If I don’t go with him, he’ll never come back!”

“You can’t leave me here!” Jaehyun sobbed, his grip tightening the more Taeyong tried to break free. Both of them fell, but Jaehyun held on for dear life, not willing to lose both of them in the same night, let alone the same minute. He could live with Jongin leaving if it meant Taeyong would remain.

“I have to stop him! We promised to always rescue each other!” Taeyong dug his fingers into the damp grass of the park, thinking he could move the earth if he just wanted it badly enough.

“Taeyong, stay here!” Jaehyun climbed the boy’s back and laid there. Taeyong rolled over, but Jaehyun did the same. Dirty, swallowing tears and snot, they wrestled in the grass of Dream Park until they were too tired to move anymore.

“I could have brought him back...” Taeyong finally said.

“No, Jongin will come back on his own. The cops will find him.”

“I hate you.” Taeyong got to his feet clumsily. Somehow it hadn’t felt final enough the first time he said it, so looking down at Jaehyun like he was some feral, wounded animal...he said it again.

“I hate you, Jung Jaehyun. From now until forever. Whether Jongin comes back or not.”

“I hate you too.” Jaehyun lied. “I should have let you go instead of trying to help at least one of you!” He didn’t have to strength the get all the way up, so he rolled onto his knees. His palms rested in the flatened grass for support.

Without warning, Taeyong swiped at Jaehyun’s wrist with his right foot, throwing Jaehyun chin first into the ground. “I hope Jongin never comes back and you never see him again.” Jaehyun shrilled out.

“I hope they take your dad away! Your mom too! That’s what your afraid of, right!? Well, I’ll tell everyone your dad is a freaking criminal!” Taeyong was high on anger, spouting out whatever he could to slice into Jaehyun.

“And I’ll tell everyone your mom is psycho!” Jaehyun snarled back.

CRACK.

Taeyong punched him. Watching Jaehyun cringe for several seconds after the blow, Taeyong felt awful. But there was no taking it back. He just ran back home.

Jaehyun stayed there on the ground until he was sure there was no way he’d run into Taeyong on his own way back home. Only then did he pull himself up and make the walk back to his house all dirty, with salty tears staring to dry on his face. He went walking...friendless.

 

 

*AUTHOR NOTE*

HI !! Okay, so I was planning to update this Sunday but I noticed the chapter was too long.

So, instead of updating on one day, I decided to split it into 2 different chapters so its not too much information all at once.

Hopefully this way, it’s a quicker read and easier to process the new information.

Speaking of new information, I figured it was time to make the backstory of the two main boys much clearer since my goal is to end this story by about Chapter 15. So, there’s really no time to waste being vague LOL

Also, I noticed sone comments about being confused so I tried to make it pretty clear what history the boys have. I didn’t plan originally plan to dedicate so much to this fic, so forgive me if some parts of their backstory seems rushed.

Moving forward, there’s going to be a couple dark twists that cause Taeyong and Jaehyun to interact more! You don’t really think they hate each other, do you? Lol.

Anyway, thanks to everyone chekcing out this fic or subscribing! Leave comments/predictions and I’ll be sure to update again in a couple days! Also, I’ll be trying to find a poster shop so you have a cool visual to go along with this fic instead of the one I made myself haha