CH 7

Impossible Standards

Hoseok is led by Hyungwon’s strong yet gentle grip on his hand back into the dorm, a blindfold covering his eyes. As soon as they had pulled up to the building, Hyungwon had insisted on his hyung adorning the cutesy animal eye-covering, the cartoonish pink rabbit design being picked out especially for him. Hoseok has no choice but to comply, finding it as impossible as ever to deny giving the younger what he wants.

“Ready, hyung?” Hyungwon asks, unable to hide the excitement in his voice. Hoseok chuckles, giving him a small nod. There’s the sound of a door opening, and the eye mask is removed. There’s no one to be seen in the living room, and Hoseok glances over at Hyungwon confusedly.

“What’re you—?”

His words are suddenly cut off by a chorus of exclamations, causing him to shout in surprise. The other members jump up from behind the couch and doorways, beaming from ear to ear at seeing their beloved Hoseok back home. Hoseok laughs again, this time understanding just what they had all been up to. Hyungwon squeezes the older’s hand happily before dropping it, reminding Hoseok yet again that they needed to have a serious conversation, and walks forward to join the other members.

“Welcome home, hyung!” Changkyun declares once again, bouncing forward to place an honorary party hat on his head. Hoseok chuckles as he ruffles the maknae’s hair affectionately, pulling him in for a tight hug.

“Thank you, Changkyunnie,” he says. He breaks away from the youngest and inhales deeply, catching an all-too familiar smell.

“As promised,” Hyungwon announces at his expectant grin, “I asked Kihyun-hyung to make enough ramyeon to feed all of us ten times over!” Hoseok laughs excitedly, his mouth already watering at the notion.

“Then what’re we waiting for?” he finds himself saying. “Let’s eat!” He begins to kick off his shoes and enters the apartment as the others file into the kitchen, but Kihyun remains behind to glare pointedly at the shoe rack. Hoseok can’t hold back his sigh as he bends to put his shoes on the rack. “I just got back home, Kihyun-ssi. Can’t you hold off on the nagging for one night?” Kihyun gives a small laugh at that.

“Technically, it was only an implied nag,” he tells the older, “so it’s okay.” The two then go into the kitchen, each silently glad to have the other around again despite his aggravating quirks.

 

The group spends hours around the table, talking, drinking, and eating. The apartment hasn’t been this lively in a long time, and no one wants to be the first to dampen the mood by calling it a night and going to bed. Luckily for all of them, they have a free day the next day, so they are able to stay up as late and drink as much as they want.

After eating all the ramyeon Kihyun had prepared, they all move to the couch to watch movies. Hyunwoo and Kihyun take up one corner, snuggling nauseatingly with each other. Jooheon and Minhyuk are in the other corner, Minhyuk in Jooheon’s lap and his head on the rapper’s shoulders. Changkyun sits on the floor in front of the couch, playing with the couples’ feet every so often so as to annoy them and making as many word puns as he can think of.

Hyungwon and Hoseok sit together, Hoseok’s arm gently placed around the younger’s shoulders. His other hand is held in between both of Hyungwon’s hands tightly, as if he’s afraid to let go for some reason.

 

One by one, the members begin to doze off on the couch. Changkyun is the first one to fall, his head resting on Kihyun’s knee. Kihyun follows soon after, his head against Hyunwoo’s broad chest. Hyunwoo’s soft snore ruffles the younger’s soft hair not too long before Minhyuk falls asleep in Jooheon’s arms. Jooheon’s snore resounds against Minhyuk’s neck as his head has fallen forward as he lost consciousness. Hoseok’s heartbeat quickens upon realizing he and Hyungwon are the only ones still awake. He knows this is the perfect opportunity to speak to Hyungwon uninterrupted about what passed between them his first day in the hospital.

“Hyung,” Hyungwon suddenly says in a whisper, turning his gaze from the television and to Hoseok. Hoseok glances over at him, surprised to hear him speak. “Can we go in another room for a minute? I need to talk to you about something.” Hoseok can only manage a nod at the younger’s request, thinking it impossible for him to have been thinking the same thing he was only moments ago. Hyungwon stands and leads Hoseok to their room. He rubs at his eyes, fighting off the drowsiness that threatened to keep him from having this extremely necessary conversation.

“Hyungwonnie, I—“

“Sorry, hyung,” Hyungwon interrupts, holding up a hand, “but I have to get this off my chest.” He waits for an acknowledgment from Hoseok, who only nods as he sits on the edge of his bed. Hyungwon takes a breath before continuing. “When you fainted in the practice room, well, it’s impossible to tell you how I felt. I panicked, yes, and was more scared than I’ve ever been in my entire life. When I saw you unconscious in that hospital bed, I nearly broke down. I realized then how much you mean to me, hyung, how much I couldn’t bear the thought of losing you.

“I’ve come to understand that my feelings of love for you aren’t just because you’re a great roommate, hyung, and bandmate. My feelings for you, it seems, run deeper than any of that.” Hyungwon pauses for a breath, something he’d been scared to do until making his point for fear of stopping. “I’m sorry if this makes you uncomfortable in some way. I don’t expect anything from you, but at the same time I do hope you feel the same way for me.”

A heartbeat of silence passes, and Hyungwon finds himself bowing nervously.

“Sorry for interrupting you, hyung,” he says. “Please continue.” Hoseok merely blinks at the younger, seemingly surprised by his words.

Hyungwon suddenly grows scared that he’s misread every interaction he’s had with Hoseok since he woke up in the hospital, every little moment even before then that could’ve meant something more was between them. He worries that in one fatal swoop he’s lost his favorite hyung, maybe forever.

Hoseok stands, closes the gap between them in one step, and smashes his lips against Hyungwon’s.

At first, Hyungwon doesn’t know how to react. He’s vaguely aware of Hoseok’s hands coming up to either side of his face, as if holding him where he stands. However, this is completely unnecessary for Hyungwon has no intention of moving away. He finds himself closing his eyes, melting into the older’s gentle touch. Hoseok nibbles on his bottom lip after a moment, and Hyungwon immediately parts his lips to allow him entrance. Their tongues dance around in each other’s mouths, memorizing the feel of every crevice.

 

They break apart after some time, breathing heavily and staring at each other with bright eyes and flushed cheeks. Hoseok suddenly laughs, taking Hyungown’s hands in his and kissing them.

“How is it you always seem to know what’s on my mind, Hyungwonnie?” he finally says, causing the younger to laugh. Hyungwon’s hands drift up to Hoseok’s face, and pulls him close for one last feather-like kiss.

“Come on,” Hyungwon says, “we should be getting to bed.” Hoseok instinctively waggles his eyebrow suggestively at the younger, earning a small giggle. “Not like that, hyung!” he jokes, punching Hoseok’s arm lightly. Hoseok pouts, rubbing at his bicep. Hyungwon rolls his eyes at this, knowing he didn’t hit hard enough to do any harm. They change into pajamas, Hoseok crawling into bed faster than Hyungwon since he only needed to strip off his shirt and pants. Hyungwon sighs as he turns off the light. He crawls onto Hoseok’s bed beside him, wrapping his arms around the older’s waist.

“Welcome home,” he whispers affectionately, planting a soft kiss on his neck. A wonderful tingling sensation blossoms from where Hyungwon’s lips touched Hoseok’s neck, and he can’t help but smile.

“It’s good to be back,” Hoseok says, and they fall into a deep sleep.