CH 6

Impossible Standards

Hoseok doesn’t dream often, but when he does it’s of Hyungwon. Used to, when he was a trainee, it’d be of those glory days after debut, of living at the top of the music world. But now, he only ever sees Hyungwon.

He dreams of an impossible future for them, with a cute little apartment and a couple of cats. The other group members would visit on the weekends, Kihyun and Hyunwoo with a couple kids in tow. Jooheon and Minhyuk would spend half the time joking around with the others, and the other half the time messing with the kids. Changkyunnie would be a famous solo artist, and his raps would flow throughout the apartment, reminding everyone of the good old days.

Hyungwon would try to cook something for everyone, but it would turn out disastrous and need Kihyun’s intervention. They’d spend every weekend like this, their family gathering together and never losing touch even after the days their group’s contract is dissolved.

 

Hoseok opens his eyes slowly, a blinding white light hanging above him. He groans, his voice coming out surprisingly hoarse. Looking around, he sees two things. One: he’s mysteriously turned up in a hospital room, and two: Hyungwon’s sleeping form leaned forward in a chair, his head resting next to Hoseok’s side. Hoseok tries to remember why he might be in a hospital of all places, but the last thing he can recall is telling s he’d stay behind in dance practice. Hyungwon had said he’d stay as well, and the others left before either said anything. Then he got all dizzy and it was hard to stand and…

Ah, crap. He had passed out right there in front of Hyungwon. He must’ve sent the younger into a panic fainting like that. He sighs at himself, guilt gnawing at him. The others must be so worried, too. Hyungwon hums in his sleep, his breath quickening ever so slightly. His head slides closer to Hoseok, pressing itself into his side. Hyungwon’s eyes flutter open, and he his lips as he lifts his gaze to look around.

Their eyes meet, and instantly they share a small, sweet smile.

“How are you feeling, hyung?” Hyungwon asks in a faint voice. Hoseok hums in thought, unable to deny the happiness he feels at the younger speaking with him again.

“Better than I was, honestly,” he answers, absentmindedly beginning to run his thumb over Hyungwon’s knuckles. He then realizes what he’s doing, and glances down at their joined hands. Hyungwon tightens his grip, a silent question within the action. Hoseok’s smile grows upon returning the gesture almost immediately, a tingling sensation beginning in the pit of his stomach. They both chuckle happily at the exchange, each knowing instinctively what’s just passed between them. Hoseok brings Hyungwon’s hand up to his lips, pressing them against the back of his hand lovingly.

“I’m sorry that I—“

“No, hyung,” Hyungwon interrupts, his other hand grasping Hoseok’s as he brings it closer to him. “You don’t need to apologize. I should’ve done more to get you to stop. But, don’t worry. You’ll be out of here soon, and the night you come back to the dorm I’ll make as much ramyeon as you can eat.” Hoseok can’t help but pause, flashing back to the last time the younger had tried his hand at his favorite dish.

“You don’t have to do that,” he says, laughing sheepishly.

“What I mean,” Hyungwon continues understandingly, “is that Kihyun-hyung will make you all the ramyeon you can eat at my request.” Hoseok laughs again, this time with much more gusto. A nurse pokes her head into the room at the sudden noise, and enters to check Hoseok’s vitals. She also checks for a concussion, but concludes that he’s completely fine and should be able to leave by the end of the next day. She leaves, telling them she’ll inform the doctor of his condition.

“Hongsik-hyung didn’t call my parents, did he?” Hoseok asks after she’s left, immediately picturing them doing everything they can to be in Seorae Village as fast as humanly possible. Hyungwon nods, and Hoseok shakes his head. He looks around the room and spots a phone, immediately going to pick it up.

“What’re you doing?” Hyungwon says, watching his actions.

“I’m calling my parents,” the older explains. “I’m fine, there’s no need for them to kill themselves just to get here.”

“Let them come, hyung,” he says, snatching the phone away. “You haven’t seen them in over a month, and I’m sure your mother is out of her mind knowing that you’re in a hospital right now. Just let them come and visit you. Besides,” he adds as an afterthought, “they’re probably nearly here by now. You’d be wasting a phone call.” Hoseok sighs, relenting easily at the younger’s words. He returns the phone to its place, not exactly relishing the thought of his mother busting into the hospital in a frenzy.

“I hate to be so much trouble,” he mumbles, rubbing at his eyes with his free hand.

“You’re never any trouble,” Hyungwon assures him.

The two fall into a comfortable silence, just happy to be in each other’s presence.

 

Hours later, the room is taken up into a flurry of activity as the other group members, their manager, and Hoseok’s parents all arrive to check on him. Hyungwon separates himself as soon as everyone enters, his hand feeling oddly empty the moment it drops Hoseok’s. Minhyuk watches the action, his eyes fast as lightening as he watches the regretful exchange between the two as everyone comes in.

Hoseok’s mother propels herself towards her son, her heart breaking upon seeing her precious child in a hospital bed. She hugs him close and showers him with kisses, asking a million questions a second. Hoseok can only silently hug her back, secretly grateful to be able to see his mom again. Minhyuk moves closer to Hyungwon, handing him a bag of clothes. Hyungwon takes it, realizing he was still in the clothes he’d been practicing in all of yesterday, and excuses himself with a bow to go change. Minhyuk hesitates only a moment before following, needing answers.

“What’s the deal with you two?” he asks once they’re far enough away from the room. “Did you finally have the heartfelt discussion that’s been needing to happen ever since we debuted? Are you two an item now?” Hyungwon suddenly realizes what Hoseok must’ve felt like moments before having questions fired at him like crazy. Only difference is, he’s actually expected to answer.

Trouble is, he’s unsure of how to answer.

Sure the boys would be okay with the situation, with having another couple in the group. Hell, Hyungwon figures Jooheon and Minhyuk wouldn’t be far behind on the couple train considering how close they seem to be lately. But, it isn’t as if they verbally discussed the situation. Hyungwon is sure that Hoseok feels the same way, judging by how the older had looked at him when he first woke up, but now, with Minhyuk asking him these things, he isn’t sure.

“Kind of,” is the only thing Hyungwon can think to say. Minhyuk suddenly squeals in delight, surprising Hyungwon so much that he jumps mid-step. Minhyuk hugs Hyungwon in congratulations, terribly happy for the younger.

“That’s fantastic!” Minhyuk says. They come to the bathroom, and Minhyuk can’t help but hug the taller again. “Okay, I’m going back to the room. Please, try to clean up some in the sink. You look awful.” He then flashes him a bright smile, and then turns to head back to the room. Hyungwon sighs, shaking his head as he enters the bathroom. He glances at his reflection in the mirror upon entering, having to hold back a groan at Minhyuk being right once again. He looks absolutely terrible.

 

Hoseok’s parents refuse to leave their son alone until he’s released from the hospital, which ends up being in two days’ time. Throughout this, Hyungwon only visits with the other members, leaving Hoseok alone to spend time with his family. This causes Hoseok to question just what had passed between them when he first awoke in his room. Had he misinterpreted what Hyungwon was trying to ask him? Was Hyungwon not really romantically interested in him? He wants to ask the younger for clarification, but can’t because of his looming parents.

He had come out as biual to his parents in his teen years, and they had accepted him with ease. His parents had always been amazingly progressive like that. It wasn’t that he’s never been attracted to the opposite . On the contrary, he’s been in only two serious relationships in his life, and one was with a woman. But, the other had been with a man.

Memories of the past, before Starship and finding his perfect Hyungwonnie, fill his mind as his mother rattles on and on about not allowing something like this to happen again, her incessant nagging reminding him of Kihyun and making him miss the dorm.

“Mom, Dad,” he says suddenly, images of his dream from before flashing in his vision, “there’s something I need to tell you.” His parents pause in what they’re doing to face him, his tense tone giving them cause for concern. “I… I think I’ve found someone. He’s been important to me for a while now, but I haven’t let myself really realize just how important. But, now I have, and there’s no way I’m letting him go. I ask that you please accept him when I officially introduce you two.” He bows his head respectfully, waiting for a reply.

“I don’t suppose it’s that handsome, tall boy in your group who was sitting with you your first night here, is it?” his mother asks, causing Hoseok to look up at her questioningly. She only smiles. “A mother always knows, dear. It’s so obvious when you look at him how much you love him.” She and his father share a glance before nodding simultaneously. “Of course we’ll accept him, as long as he makes you happy.”

“Thank you,” Hoseok says, feeling tearful at how grateful he is to have parents such as his.

Now, he thinks, time to clarify a couple things with that Hyungwonnie…