CH 4

Impossible Standards

“I don’t know why I said it, hyung,” Hyungwon says defensively. He’s sitting in Minhyuk’s room, talking with him about what had happened during the radio interview. Hoseok and Hyungwon hadn’t spoken much since the interview, aside from answering questions during the remaining conferences throughout the day. As soon as they had returned to the dorm, Hoseok had asked their manager to drive him to the company building to use the gym, giving Minhyuk the perfect opportunity to drag Hyungwon into a more private setting to discuss what had happened.

“We’re all worried about him,” Minhyuk tells him gently, setting a gentle hand on the taller’s shoulder, “but we need to make sure not to let our emotions control what we say. We need to reign in ourselves during interviews, okay?” Hyungwon nods, rubbing his face with his hands. He worries if Hoseok is mad at him for calling him out during the interview. Hoseok has always been sensitive about being talked about on-air, even if it’s only teasing. The fact that it’s a real issue around the dorm right now, in Hyungwon’s anxious mind, only makes it worse.

“I hope I didn’t mess up the interview too much,” Hyungwon murmurs. He can’t bring himself to voice his real worries about the situation to Minhyuk, although he doesn’t know why. He’s never had an issue opening up to the older before. Maybe it’s the memory of Minhyuk’s comment about himself and Hoseok having feelings for each other that’s been oddly prevalent in his mind lately, although that would be odd. Why now, after so many months after the fact? Minhyuk shakes his head, completely oblivious to Hyungwon’s inner turmoil, and gives him a smile.

“Not at all, Hyungwon-ah,” he assures the younger as he stands. “Come on, let’s see if we can get Kihyun-ah to make us some seaweed soup tonight.” Hyungwon hums in agreement, standing to follow the older from the room. Maybe he’ll try talking to Hoseok when he gets home, to make sure the older isn’t as mad at him as he thinks.

 

In the gym, Hoseok’s breaths come out in annoyed huffs as he bench presses fifty pounds. He can’t get the almost accusatory glare he had received from Hyungwon earlier out of his head. It’s all he can see when he closes his eyes. Is it possible that Hyungwon was mad at him for something else? Hoseok tried to remember if he had said or done anything to the younger to have earned such a look from him, but he couldn’t think of anything.

He sets the steel bar in its place, and moves out from under it with a sigh. He grabs the towel at the foot of the bench and wipes at his face. Silently taking a long drink of water, he glances at his watch. He’d been there for nearly six hours, it’s probably time he heads back to the dorm. He’d managed to avoid the group dinner, and the silence that’d be sure to occur if he and Hyungwon were in the same room again. Even their car ride home had been almost unbearably tense the entire trip, which never happened.

Hoseok can’t shake the feeling that he and Hyungwon were in some sort of fight, but over what he has no idea, and that’s incredibly more frustrating than the fight itself. Hoseok heaves one more sigh as he stands. He collects his things and goes to request a ride home, for once not exactly relishing the thought of seeing his dear Hyungwonnie again so soon.

 

Luckily, the others are all in bed by the time Hoseok gets to the dorm. He slips off his shoes at the door as quietly as possible, and shuffles into the kitchen to see if there are any leftovers from dinner. Sure enough, there’s a bowl of seaweed soup in the refrigerator with a little note from Kihyun, telling him to eat the soup and go straight to bed (and also to make sure he actually puts his shoes on the rack by the door for once, since Kihyun had just organized it all earlier that night). Hoseok can’t help but chuckle soundlessly at the note. He crumples it up and retrieves a spoon before sitting down at the table and devouring the food.

Once finished, he washes the dishes and places them on the drying rack, knowing he’d never hear the end of it from Kihyun the next morning if he were to leave dirty dishes in the sink. He moves towards his shared bedroom, but then glances over at the shoe-rack by the door. He shakes his head at himself and goes to place his shoes on it before finally going to his bed.

Hoseok enters his bedroom as quietly as possible. Even though it’s incredibly difficult to wake up Hyunwoo and Hyungwon, he still didn’t want to chance it. He knows he’ll have to speak with Hyungwon about what happened eventually, but he didn’t think tonight a good time to do so, especially if he had accidentally awoken the younger. That’d only make matters worse. He settles on his bed and closes his eyes, wishing to fall asleep quickly and leave this worry about his and Hyungwon’s relationship to deal with another day.

 

Hyungwon is vaguely aware of someone entering the bedroom an hour after everyone had gone to bed. He had been lying there all the while, unconsciously waiting for the sounds of his hyung’s return home. He had taken note of the time when he heard the front door open and the rustling about in the kitchen, unable to fight the annoyed sigh upon seeing how late it was. He can’t shake the feeling that the older is somehow trying to avoid him, which only makes him feel worse about calling him out on air. If he hadn’t have done that, if he’d have just managed to just bite his tongue, then he wouldn’t be in this awkward somewhat-fight with Hoseok right now.

 

The next morning, Kihyun gets everyone up and ready to go much quicker than usual. Hyungwon, surprisingly, is easy to awaken, mostly due to the fact that he was merely pretending to be asleep in the first place. Hoseok takes an unusually short time in the shower, not exactly feeling like relishing in the deliciously scented soaps and shampoos fans have given him in the past. He hadn’t slept at all that night, either, his worry for Hyungwon’s attitude towards him making it impossible for him to sleep. The odd changes in behavior from these two cause the others to give each other questioning looks throughout the morning, each one silently asking the other if they know what’s going on. However, they are all clueless to what’s going on.

They all head to the company building for another day of dance practice. Minhyuk attempts to bring up the tense mood by chatting up a storm with anyone who’ll go along, joking around with Jooheon, and requesting some classic party songs amongst the boys be played up front. However, none of this seems to pull Hoseok nor Hyungwon out of the emotional funk they’re in. Minhyuk gives up as they reach the Starship building, very much unnerved by the situation.

 

Hyungwon watches Hoseok all throughout practice. He doesn’t mean to. He wants to give his hyung some space, since he’s so clearly mad about what happened the previous day, but he can’t help watching as Hoseok overworks himself. He takes note of all the times everyone, including himself, asks for water, and how many times Hoseok doesn’t. They all even offer their own water to him as they take individual breaks, but Hoseok only shakes his head with a smile as he continues to perfect his moves.

 

“Hyung,” Changkyun says to Hoseok as they start to the door. He isn’t sure if the older heard when they all decided to call it a day, for he’s still practicing like crazy in the mirror. Hoseok takes a moment to register the maknae’s call, and turns to him mid-move. “Aren’t you coming back with us?” Hoseok shakes his head, taking another moment to catch his breath before explaining himself.

“I’m not quite satisfied with my grasp on the choreography yet,” he tells his group, who are all staring at him with varying degrees of bewilderment. “Besides, I think I might hit the gym again tonight.” They all hover around the door, not liking the sound of that at all. Hyunwoo opens his mouth to protest, but Hyungwon suddenly steps forward.

“I think I’ll stay behind as well,” he says, surprising everyone. Hyungwon hadn’t said much at all throughout the day, and the little that he did say was in no way directed to Hoseok. Hoseok blinks confusedly at the younger, but nods all the same after a few moments. The group then begin to file from the room, finding it much easier to accept Hoseok’s staying behind if there’s someone with him.

Hoseok wipes his face with a towel, waving goodbye to the others as they file out one by one. Soon enough only Hyungwon is left in the room with him. He moves towards the table on the far end of the room the staff had set up with an innumerable amount of bottles of water. A wave of dizziness hitting him as soon as he begins to move away from his spot. His legs wobble slightly, and he finds himself having to lean on the table for support.

“Hyung,” Hyungwon calls, worriedly walking to his side. He doesn’t care if Hoseok is mad with him right now, the older looks absolutely awful. His entire form is shaking like a leaf, his face much paler and sweatier than it should be.

Hoseok can’t hold back the tired grin at hearing the younger call for him. He manages to turn to face him, still keeping a shaking hand on the table. His vision seems to be darkening, but he can’t tell whether or not if it’s only his imagination.

“Hyungwonnie,” Hoseok begins. He lets out a shaky breath, feeling his legs become weaker and weaker with every breath he takes. His vision begins to swim, worsening his nausea. He breaks his gaze on Hyungwon, turning to look at the benches lining the side of the practice room. He separates himself from the table to sit down. His knees suddenly give out on him upon having to support his full weight once more. His vision suddenly goes black, and the last thing he’s aware of his Hyungwon taking him up in his arms and shouting his name.