CH 1

Impossible Standards

Ever since his teen years, Shin Hoseok has been setting what some would call “impossible” standards for his own appearance. He’s dedicated himself to working out as much as he can throughout the years, making do with a makeshift gym at home until he got a job and could afford a membership at a legitimate establishment. One of the best things of becoming a trainee, for him, was the free gym he could use whenever he had the time. He spent every free moment he had in there. If he wasn’t at dance practice or eating, he was working out.

During No Mercy, he had been labeled as the y one. Which, if he were to be completely honest, he didn’t mind. He had always known he wasn’t going to beat the others when it came to singing. Kihyun had always had the best voice out of any of the other trainees he’d ever come across. So, he tried to become the best at something else he knew would get him into the final lineup: appeal.

When showing off his body every chance he could get had managed to get him into MONSTA X and out of the awful purgatory of being a trainee, he made sure to do so as much as possible during performances. This, of course, kept him in the gym as much as ever. He stuck to a strict diet, and took about ten different supplements a day. But, it was all worth it if it kept him in the group, allowed him to live out his dream… gave him a way to pay his mother back for all those years she had to go without for him.

 

“Hyung,” Hyungwon’s voice calls, pulling him out of his silent stupor. Hoseok looks up from the chicken on his plate, raising his eyebrows slightly to signal the model to go on. Hyungwon clears his throat, his thick lips before continuing. “Hyung, are you feeling alright?” Hoseok gives a nod, taking a bite from his chicken with renewed vigor to get the younger to stop staring at him with such clear worry.

“You seem tired,” Hyunwoo says bluntly as he tears into the food Kihyun had prepared for the rest of them.

“Maybe a little,” Hoseok relents, doing his best to remain flippant, “but I’ll be fine after I get a good night’s sleep.” Kihyun in a breath through his teeth, shaking his head without looking at the older.

“It’s all of those extra nights you’re spending working out when you should be sleeping,” Kihyun nags instinctively. “Even Jooheon isn’t working himself as hard as you do. You’re going to end up hurting yourself if you keep on like this.”

“Okay, Mom,” Hoseok says teasingly. “I’m fine, really.” Kihyun glances disbelievingly at him, but doesn’t question his hyung any further all the same. Thankfully, Changkyun changes the topic, easily switching it to a discussion about their next performance with the help of a pun.

Hyungwon, however, continues to watch Hoseok throughout the meal, his worry for his hyung never leaving him.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A few days later, the boys decide to take advantage of a rare free day and go shopping. At first, Hoseok doesn’t plan to go. He’d much rather get a good work-out in while he can. However, when Hyungwon personally invited him to join them, he just couldn’t turn him down. Hoseok could never resist Hyungwon’s plump lips whenever they were turned down in a pout. Or in general, for that matter.

“Hyung,” Changkyun says excitedly as the group walks down the street. He points happily at a storefront with a crude drawing of an ice cream cone on it. Kihyun chuckles while giving the youngest a nod, and follows him into the shop. Jooheon notices the interaction and grabs Hyunwoo’s arm to drag him in after the others. Minhyuk silently follows, beaming amusedly from ear to ear. Hoseok sighs and leans against the storefront, shoving his hands in his pockets as he waits for the others. Hyungwon stands beside him silently, clearly wanting to say something but hesitant to let it slip.

“What is it, Hyungwonnie?” Hoseok asks as he rests his head on the taller’s shoulder. Hyungwon his lips, uncertainty clogging his throat.

“I know you said the other night that you’re doing fine,” he finally relents, “but I don’t think you are. I’m not sure if you realize how exhausted you seem nowadays, hyung. You’re always zoning out while we’re all hanging out together, you’re rarely around the dorm because of how much you work out, and the only time I actually see you sleep is in the car and backstage.” Hoseok is quiet for a while, trying to think of something to say that would pacify the younger’s worries.

“All I can think to say,” he responds at last, “is that I’m fine, but I know you won’t believe me. You’ve got your stubborn pout on.” Hyungwon’s eyebrows crinkle questioningly at that, causing Hoseok to chuckle under his breath.

“I don’t have a stubborn pout,” Hyungwon argues, the corners of his lips turning down as his eyebrows scrunch close together. Hoseok laughs as he watches this, sneakily putting his arms around Hyungwon’s waist.

“What have I said about arguing with your hyung?” Hoseok chides jokingly, and before Hyungwon can respond he digs his fingertips into his sides, tickling the younger mercilessly. Hyungwon lurches forward immediately, giggling at the touch. Hoseok lightens up the tickling slightly, but just as Hyungwon begins to catch his breath he quickens it once more. Hoseok becomes distracted by Hyungwon’s light laughter, smiling at the almost angelic sound.

“Hyung!” Changkyun and Jooheon’s voices sing harmoniously, causing the two to turn towards the sound. Hyungwon immediately separates himself from the older at the distraction, covering his smile with a delicate hand in an effort to push down his laughter. The two rappers are each holding two ice cream cones, holding one close to them and the other in an outstretched hand. Hyungwon goes to take the offered ice cream from Jooheon, and smiles his thank you to the younger. Hoseok, despite not really wanting the ice cream in the first place, accepts the treat and ruffles Changkyun’s hair in thanks.

“Thanks Changkyunnie,” Hoseok says, the already-melting ice cream. Its fresh citrus taste is pretty nice for the hot weather of the day, and he finds himself ruffling the youngest’s hair once more in appreciation. Changkyun complains as he starts to fix his hairdo, making Hoseok laugh. He couldn’t help but mess with the youngest at times, his reactions being too amusing to pass up. Minhyuk joins them on the sidewalk, wrapping an arm around Jooheon from behind, and is followed by Kihyun and Hyunwoo.

“Thank you, Eomma!” Changkyun says cutely, causing Minhyuk to coo and pull at his cheeks.

The group continues their walk down the street, the parents leading them with intertwined fingers. Hoseok’s eyes linger on the joined hands of their leader and main vocal, feeling somewhat envious of how everything had seemed to work out for them. They were so natural together once the group formed, almost instinctively taking up the parental roles and, shortly after, becoming a couple. He can’t help but glance over at Hyungwon, who is walking in step beside him, an unspoken question in his mind.

He wasn’t sure when his affection for Hyungwon had grown into the next level. He only knew that it had. But, he wasn’t going to do anything about it, not for the time being anyway. He was content for the moment with where they were in their friendship. He was fairly certain Hyungwon didn’t feel the same, so he didn’t want to risk it quite yet. He wasn’t even sure if his feelings were serious enough to act upon, anyway. No, he’d just give it some time to figure things out on his own first.

He doesn’t realize he’s staring at Hyungwon until the latter glances over at him questioningly.

“What is it, hyung? Did Jooheon put ice cream on my face?” Hyungwon immediately begins to wipe at his mouth, but Hoseok only shakes his head.

“Sorry, it’s nothing,” he answers, returning his gaze to the members in front of them. He can feel Hyungwon’s gaze remain on him a moment longer, but the younger says nothing before finally looking away.