After-Chapter 9

Speaking Out //*HIATUS*//
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Many things are referenced from other chapters of the story so for the full experience I recommend re-reading the story! Only if you want to though :P

Dahyun, scared out of her wits by the way Jihyo had seen right through her, decided to look for Chaeyoung. Being her best friend and all, she decided to check the attic first, knowing that Chaeyoung would choose to hide out in the place least likely to be checked. And just as predicted, Chaeyoung was just laying up there on a beat-up old couch with her earbuds staring out the window solemnly in the dusty old attic.

“You should close that window. You’re going to catch a cold.” Dahyun reached a hand out towards the window handle, but before she could pull it down, Chaeyoung grabbed her wrist.

“It’d be better if I got sick,” Chaeyoung muttered, eyes fixed on the scenery outside. “At least I wouldn’t have to see Mina anymore…”

“Mina, Mina, Mina…” Normally Dahyun would have walked away at the mere mention of the name, but this time, she was too furious to. “It’s always about Mina with you, isn’t it? What could she possibly have done to hurt you this time?”

Chaeyoung shut her eyes tight and let out a sigh. She knew Dahyun would hate to hear anything she would have to say about the girl in question, but this was the first time she seemed even somewhat willing to listen.

“If you really want to know, I’m mad about the fact that she was hanging out with Momo this entire time that she was ‘sick’, and she didn’t even think about mentioning it to m–“ She paused for a second, choosing her words carefully. “…any of us.”

“…Is that all?” came Dahyun’s flat response.

Chaeyoung jerked backwards in her chair, a little confused about Dahyun’s lack of expression towards the mention of Mina, or even Momo, but she continued to lay there, eyes now roaming, right earbud still placed in her ear as if she were searching for answers in the music’s lyrics.

“Chaeyoung…”

Thunder roared through the open window as the sound of pouring rain soon followed.

“Why do you always have to be so…

so…

.

.

.

stupid?!”

Tears hung on the brim of Dahyun’s eyes. She bit back her lip in an attempt to tone down her emotions, but she just felt utterly overwhelmed.

“Mina this, Mina that, everything you do has to revolve around Mina doesn’t it?! And then you just completely crush her feelings the first chance you get to see her again?! Do you even realize how stupid you sound?!”

Without turning her head, Chaeyoung snuck a hand up to her ear and pulled out the earbud to listen clearly to what Dahyun had to say.

“You know, I’ll confess to you one thing – I know all there is to know about what you’re going through. I know exactly what you’ve been feeling and even what you will feel eventually. I mean… of course I would know… I’ve been chasing the same girl my whole damn life.”

Dahyun let out a chuckle realizing how pathetic she sounded coming from her own mouth.

“Now that I’m saying it out loud, I realize how stupid it sounds, making my whole life revolve around this one oblivious girl who can’t even take a hint…”

Chaeyoung’s brows furrowed in confusion as she tried to think who this beloved person could possibly be. She hadn’t recalled Dahyun setting aside her time for anyone special…

Dahyun took a moment to recollect herself. Then with a piercing gaze she bore right through to Chaeyoung’s soul through her empty eyes.

“Just like you.” Her voice turned stark cold. “Now listen, Chaeyoung. You don’t have to say anything, so I’ll at least give you this piece of advice. There’s not enough time in this world to do nothing. Either you give up, right here, right now… or you go out there and you make her yours.”

The next few seconds were excruciating for Dahyun as she waited for Chaeyoung’s answer. Her breathing felt ragged, was feeling sore, and the tears wouldn’t stop streaming from her eyelids.

Chaeyoung lazily moved her gaze over to Dahyun. She looked like a mess, both physically and emotionally. Hair draped over the length of her face and her breaths heaved her entire body with them. It was almost as if Dahyun had poured out all her heart and energy into… her.

And that’s when she knew, but as soon as she opened to speak, her answer came in the cry of “Mina!” ringing out from down the stairs where the others were still concluding their game. Loud footsteps stomped and a door slammed loudly shut soon after.

Chaeyoung slowly stood up and wiped Dahyun’s tears with her thumbs as she cupped her face. They locked eyes and instantly Dahyun understood why Chaeyoung had to pull that jacket over her head and prepare to embrace the oncoming storm. After all, the choice wasn’t in her hands anyways.

Chaeyoung turned and shared one last knowing look with Dahyun before stepping out into the rain. That one with the same old look in her eyes and the same old dimple that formed from her cheeky smile. Although it felt different, as if she sympathized with Dahyun and was thankful for the advice she had given, Dahyun knew. Chaeyoung could never change, not even a little bit.

Dahyun left the room, sad but somewhat happy, rubbing at her dreary eyes with the sleeve of her sweater where she bumped into and almost tripped over a confused Tzuyu in the hallway who sat on the floor, back against the wall, with a hand clutching her chest.

“Tzuyu…? What are you– are you okay?” Dahyun asked, eyes now wide open rushing over to Tzuyu’s side, as she still attempted to control the shakiness in her voice.

Tzuyu’s breath had been caught in ever since Dahyun’s last sentence to Chaeyoung. Something about the dullness in her voice or just how uncertain the air felt after that statement caused her heart to race uncontrollably. Was it because she had always known what Chaeyoung’s response would be… or was it something else?

“No…” Tzuyu mumbled in between sniffles as she slid to the floor, hand clutching at her heart. “I’m not.”

 

*****

 

“Wang Jackson?!” Mina’s voice cracked clean through the sound of pelting raindrops on the pavement. The figure, barely visible past the hood of their umbrella, now stood still peering up at her from the sloped street.

Not even the downpour or the wet strands of hair in her eyes could prevent Mina from recognizing the judging eyes of her former boyfriend. After pinching herself a couple times, Mina’s mouth just hung agape still registering the shock from the realization that none of this was a dream.

“Surprised?” came the voice, as slimy and greasy as she had always remembered.

“What are you–” The words caught in as it had run dry all of a sudden, despite her body being drenched. “What are you doing all the way out here in Korea?” Mina found herself shouting her words, unsure if it was due to the heavy rain or her heavy emotions.

“It seems like you’re almost… not happy to see me…” Jackson’s mouth first formed a disgusting pout, but then a cheeky smile formed and glistened in the moonlight, as it always would. “Actually, I’ve been thinking…”

Well that’s dangerous, Mina almost blurted out loud.

“And I’ve come to realize… I don’t blame you. You were right all along Mina.”

Jackson’s smile faded and for the first time since they had met, Mina saw compassion – real, warm compassion pooling in the reflection of his eyes.

“Ever since we began dating I’ve been nothing short of terrible to you. No matter the occasion, whether it was just a casual date, or an anniversary, or even your birthday, I never put you up on that pedestal you deserved to be. There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about you. I realized then, that you were everything to me – everything I needed and everything I am. And you still are…”

Jackson stretched a hand out from the cover of his umbrella up towards his angel Mina, backdropped by the streetlight radiating so brilliantly at her back.

“I’m afraid of losing you Mina. And I’ve changed! So maybe… just maybe… can we forget about everything that happened before you left? Start clean?”

Start clean… Mina had heard those same words so many times before. She took a good look at herself, covered from head to toe in a stained attire along with a stained past.

Mina wasn’t sure if it was the freezing wind and rain assaulting her from all sides or the dampness of her clothing that amplified the cold, but her hand began to move with a mind of its own, raising and reaching towards the open palm.

“Thatta girl,” Jackson coaxed. “I knew you’d make the right choice.”

But as she was reaching out, Mina realized that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter