Epilogue

A mysterious ring

What is that?” Kibum voice suddenly asked, from nowhere.

Jonghyun froze, surprise. Too focused on his homework due for the next week, he had not noticed that his boyfriend had entered. His boyfriend. At this thought he could not help but smile.

Ah! You’re doing that again!” the Slytherin said, sighing almost.

Doing what?”

Smiling. For no reason.”

He tried not to laugh at that explanation, since they both were in the library and most of the students that were sitting around them were already glancing at them. He took Kibum’s hand to make him sit on the chair next to his. He then laid his head, so close to him that he could feel Kibum’s breathe.

I just thought of the fact that you love me and it made me happy.”

Kibum’s face slowly turned red. He opened his mouth but nothing came out of it so he immediately closed it. Jonghyun could easily tell that he was flustered and it was the funniest and cutest thing ever.

You’re so cheesy, it’s annoying,” the other young man eventually answered with a little voice. But the smile he was trying to hide was enough for Jonghyun to know he was not that annoying. Enjoying the closeness between them, he slowly kissed his lips. He was aware that Kibum was not the type to show his affection when they were in public and, usually, he would not disturb him with it. But, today, he had not been able to see Kibum at all since they had not had any common classes and that he had immediately left for the library to catch up on his late homeworks - something that had happened since he had spent the last week choosing Kibum over his work.-

I missed you,” he whispered once they parted away.

He had expected Kibum to blush even more or at least to pretend to be upset, but he did not, “I missed you too.”

It probably because they had been dating for only a week that they both desperately wanted to be together all the time and that they could not help but have some extra cheesy moments just like this one; maybe it was because Jonghyun was terribly cheesy in general, but he truly enjoyed it. Every single second with Kibum felt like a blessing and he had never felt so much happiness.

Anyway,” the Slytherin said like nothing had happened -he always was the one to break those lovey dovey moments- “Jinki was looking for us. He said the potion’s ready.”

Jonghyun blinked. Twice. Even if he had to take care of the potion during the week, he had to admit that it was the last thing on his mind. The potion, that used to be a huge source of anxiety for him because he was afraid that he would lose Kibum with the ring, had mostly become something he had to do every two or three days. Plus, now that they were officially a couple, they were spending all the time they could together, and when they were apart, the pain in his finger was nothing in comparison of the one he was feeling in his entire soul. Which was terribly cheesy now that he was thinking of it.

Now?” He asked.

Kibum nodded. The Gryffindor felt something strange in his stomach. Somehow, it was hard to realise that he was about to take off the thing that had brought him and Kibum together. Maybe he was not afraid anymore, but it still was weird.

Then, let’s go.”

He started to pack all his stuffs in his bag while his boyfriend quietly helped him.

I can’t believe it, you were seriously working on divination?”

He had said the last world with such condescension that Jonghyun could not hold a laugh. It was no news that Kibum hated divination and it was not the first time he would say something like that. Because Jonghyun actually believed in this form of magic.

I was doing my predictions for the next month according to the planets.”

I hope the planets told you that you would be judged by your boyfriend too.”

Actually, they did!!!!”

He laughed even more, completely forgetting that he was supposed to be quiet in the library, while Kibum rolled his eyes. They put the last papers in his bag and they headed out to the Room of Requirement.

When they entered, Jinki, Minho and Taemin were already there, “You took your time,” the Ravenclaw mumbled without even raising his head from the potion he was staring at.

I’m sorry,” Kibum answered, “Jonghyun was in the library and it was the last place I thought he would be, I ran around the whole castle before thinking of it.”

Why are you two here?” Jonghyun asked to Minho and Taemin, who were chuckling at Kibum’s words.

I followed you through all this adventure, I think I have the right to see if your fingers will melt or no,” Minho said, as serious as possible.

Kibum turned white. Jonghyun glared at him. Taemin was almost crying of laughter.

I don’t think it would melt their fingers. I think in the worst scenario, maybe, they would lose a bit of skin,” Jinki suddenly added.

And there was something in his voice that made them completely certain, he was not teasing at all. Kibum’s face was now practically transparent and Jonghyun felt sick.

Are you sure of what we are doing?” the latter asked, his voice a bit shaking.

Yes.”

Taemin had spoken in such a calm and serious voice that Jonghyun thought that he was right. Or maybe he just had to convince himself that he was right or he would have never been able to let Jinki put the strange texture that the potion had become - it was neither liquid nor solid, and almost indescribable - on his finger.

At least he did not lose his finger. It would have been annoying for a lot of things, and not only Quidditch.

***

It only took a few hours for the staffs of St Mungo’s to take off the two rings without hurting their fingers. But it took days -plus a comment from Taemin that if they had not done that they would have never met, making the Hufflepuff stutter completely- to make Minho shut up about the fact that he was right and that they should have told the teachers earlier

Kibum had closed his eyes from the moment Taemin had started to put the potion on his ring until the moment he heard Jinki’s disappointed voice saying that it was not working. He, also, was not sure if he was relieved, because his finger was still hooked on his hand, or disappointed, because they had spent weeks on this potion something he had never done since his first year at Hogwarts, only for it to fail.

He comforted himself with the fact that the nurse did not asked any questions when they came to see her, and neither did the doctors at St Mungo’s. And since they had all agreed on the idea that no one should know about the potion they had tried to brew secretly in the Room of Requirement, it was better that no one would wonder about why Jonghyun and Kibum had taken so long to ask for help. Maybe they had no reason to ask when they saw the way they were both looking at each other and that only bright little letters forming the word “IN LOVE” in their foreheads would have make things more obvious. Maybe everyone thought they both had kept their rings just so they would have a reason to hang out together. And, in some way, they were right.

Even if Jinki was the one who had had the idea to not tell the nurse or a teacher about it, Kibum had to admit that it had made his, and Jonghyun’s, business way more easier - obviously none of them would ever confess that fact to Jinki.- And, Kibum was not entirely sure of it, since he did not them that well, it probably had been a good thing for Minho and Taemin too, considering how they were acting when they were together.

To be honest, the only, truly, annoying thing about all this was the endless speech their Head of Houses gave them about not trusting too much magical objects since it could have been way worse that two rings that wanted to be together. Basically they were saying that Kibum and Jonghyun had been extremely stupid.

Since I was able to meet and fall in love with you, I think I’m going to truly enjoy being that dumb,” Jonghyun had casually said, once they had gotten out of the speech and they were eating dinner.

At that very moment, Kibum had violently blushed and had been unable to answer something, not expecting something that adorable and cheesy suddenly. So Jonghyun had laughed. That sweet and light laugh that sounded more like a song then a simple laugh. That special and precious laugh that the Slytherin would have give anything to hear every day and keep it safe.

What he had been unable to answer, but that he knew Jonghyun was aware of, was that he agreed. If it meant keep Jonghyun near him and happy, then he would do stupid things like putting a ring he had bought in a strange little shop and then break at least half of Hogwarts’ rules just to brew a potion, that could have melt his finger or maybe worse - he had tried not to think too much about this aspect.-

 

Maybe it meant they were stupidly in love with each other. And they both were fine with that idea.