CH.03

The Way You Are

 

 

 

--What Death Feels Like;

 

 

Did you ever feel how it's like to die? Not really dying but feeling death while you're alive? I'm saying weird things again, aren't I? Let me just explain.

 

If I remember correctly, Chanyeol and his teammates left the shop at around 7:30 pm. My shift ended at 11:00 pm. When I went out, Chanyeol grabbed my arm and asked me if he could talk to me. My mind went crazy. What would he want from me? What would he like to talk about? He still had his hand around my forearm even if I yanked my hand away when I felt him grab me and he only let it go when I glanced at his hand holding me. Did he really wait for more than three hours just to talk to me?

 

Ah. Then, I remembered. Maybe he was asked by the coach to ask me to be the mascot again?

 

I looked around trying to see if his teammates were waiting to ambush and bully me or something. They were talking about me, sniggering and was sharing cheeky grins inside the shop after all. But I couldn't find anyone. It was almost midnight so there were almost no people. I looked at him again. I actually had to look up because he was a head taller than I was. But I had to look down almost as soon as I looked because I couldn't take what my heart was doing to me.

 

But why would he wait for three hours? Just to say that?

"Uhmm, actually uhmm.. I..uhmm.."

I glanced at him. Wow, it's my first time seeing the Great Park Chanyeol be flustered. He was scratching the back of his neck and was looking at the ground. He was even stuttering. And I was not in better shape either. I was holding the hem of my hoodie and was staring at my feet. 

 

There was almost three minutes of silence. I looked up at him and we accidentally met eyes. I had to look down fast again because I felt my heart beat really fast. My ears felt like they were on fire, too.

 

My gosh, why do you have this kind of effect on me?

 

"I'm sorry for wasting your time. Uhmm, I was actually waiting for your shift to end."

I look up at him again. This time he was looking straight into my eyes. I hope I was not as red as I was imagining. 

 

Why are you so handsome?

 

"Y-You didn't have to wait that long." I say to him.

"A little effort wouldn't hurt." and he chuckles at the end of his sentence. 

My knees almost gave up. I had to look down at my feet again because I just couldn't take this. He's actually talking to me. Me. Byun Baekhyun. The nobody. The Park Chanyeol is talking to me.

"I'm sorry if my team mates caused a ruckus earlier. They're such a riot really." he continues.

"It's okay. I'm already used to teasing and sniggering behind my back so don't worry about it." I say in a small voice. I look up at him and I saw him purse his lips.

 

There's that look again. Pity. 

 

Please don't look at me like that. I don't like it.

 

"No, it's not that. We weren't teasing you or talking about you behind your back. I was just wondering.." he purses his lips again, and I could see the hesitation. "I was wondering.. if.. y'know.."

I look up at him and frown because I had no idea what he's saying. The stuttering is not helping either. I shake my head a bit and look at him.

"Like Kris said earlier..." he purses his lips again. And why didn't I notice that he had a dimple before?

"Can I have your phone number?"

 

I look up at him in shock. My eyes probably as wide as little golf balls. 

"M-My phone number?" I say quite stupidly.

"Yes. They actually came with me because they were urging me to make my move already. I like you and I would like to know you better. So, please? C-Can I have your phone number?"

 

I swallow an invisible lump inside my throat and this time it felt like my feet where off the ground. My heart was punching my rib cage like a punching bag and my head was all fuzzy. I can't feel my legs. I can't feel my hands. I can't feel my anything. He likes me? Park Chanyeol likes me? Me?

And that was the time I felt death while I was alive. 

 

I must have been staring at Chanyeol stupidly because he calls my name once again.

"Baekhyun-sshi? P-Please say anything.. You're making me nervous."

 

I gape at him. Open and close my mouth but words won't come out from my mouth. I look at my feet then look up at him again.

"I-I'm sorry!" I bow deeply. My eyes filling with tears.

"W-Wait, I don't think I could take it if you will reject me personally."

 

R-Reject you? Who am I to reject you?  

 

I look up at him again and he gets flustered when he saw my face.

"W-Wait! Wh-Why're you crying?" panic very visible in his voice.

"I-I'm really sorry.."

 

The dejected look you gave me made me feel so guilty.

 

I'm not rejecting you. Please don't think that I am.

 

"Wow, t-this is quite embarassing. I-I really like you Baekhyun-sshi. I didn't think you'd reject me right away. But please give me a chance? I mean.. Aish.. Please? Just your phone number."

 

I cover my face. I was thinking of a good way to tell him this but there really is no good way. I uncover my face and I try to look up at him.

"I like you, too.. but.." I blush in embarrassment, I could actually feel the red in my cheeks.

"I don't have a cell phone!" I say as fast as I could and I ran away.

 

And that was the second time I experienced death while I'm alive. It was so embarrassing. In such a digital era, am I some kind of ancient person to not own a phone? After I ran, I didn't look back so I had no idea how Chanyeol reacted. I just ran as fast as my legs could take me. 

 

 

 

 

Eomma, if I'm not really dead right now, please kill me..

 

Please kill me right now...

 

 


 

[A/N:] Hello guys, thank you so much for the support and positive feedback ^^ I like that you' re all not into the POV style but are still liking this fic. To be honest, I'm not the type to read or write POV-styled fics, too. So, this is a bit new to me, too. Lovelots! :* -ohjjeeyeon