CH.02

The Way You Are

 

 

--Your Expressive Eyes;

 

Do you know what I hate the most? I hate that when Chanyeol first looked at me, what I saw was pity. His eyes are very expressive and just one look made me feel like he was sorry for me. I didn't want us to meet like this, but I don't have the power to turn back time. We met like that.

 

 

It was lunch time and like every day, I sat alone near the trash cans. It was the only place I could sit without being bothered by bullies. Our school had tables and benches outside and that was the place I always sat on. Not only because no bullies, but there was a court right beside the tables and I could watch Chanyeol play basketball with his teammates.

 

It was the highlight of my day. Seeing him. 

 

That day, I noticed something. I saw Chanyeol glance at me. Was I hallucinating? Or maybe was it the trash cans he glimpsed at? Were they that interesting? I even noticed Sehun look at me and give me a cheeky smile. I ignored it. I have seen that look before.

Sigh.

I don't want to be bullied by the basketball jocks, too.

 

As I was eating, I heard a loud bang on the table I was sitting at. Why did I even look up? Even before the bullies could say something to insult me or do something that would embarass me, I stood up and walked inside the school building. I headed straight to the lockers to grab my books for the afternoon period.

 

The moment I opened my locker, all kinds of garbage poured out. Plastic bottles, junk food wrappers, cigarette butts, and rotten food boxes. I wasn't even shocked anymore. This was such a usual happening that I got used to it. But I have to admit, it still made me undeniably sad, like this time, even if I didn't want to, I cried. 

Instead of helping, some students even chuckled, giggled and talked among themselves while walking past me as I picked up the trash that fell out of mylocker. Damn, bullies. Before I could pick up the last piece of garbage, someone else reached for it. I looked up and I saw Chanyeol. He looked into my eyes and all I saw was pity.

"Is it always like this?"

He asked me these words and I didn't even bother replying, I got up and walked as fast as I could. First of all, I didn't want him to meet me this way. And secondly, I didn't want to cry in front of him. 

 

 

 

That night, I went to the cake shop where I served as a waiter. I have worked here for the past six months and never have this happened. I saw Chanyeol and some of his teammates approaching the shop. I was cleaning a table and thought that they'd probably head to the Starbucks beside the shop but I was wrong when I heard the bell of the door. I looked up and saw Chanyeol and his teammates go to a table and take a sit.

Aish. I didn't want to get fired if I get caught staring at him all throughout my shift.

 

 

I was waiting for another waiter to serve their table but my manager told me that I should go. With a menu in my hands, I approached their table.

"Would you like to order now?" I timidly said to all of them.

There was something weird going on and I could sense it. Chanyeol's teammates were sharing knowing glances and they were all wearing cheeky grins. I also saw Sehun nudge Chanyeol's side, why were they all acting weird? I will never know. I pursed my lip and looked at him.

"Uhmm, what would you recommend?" he says to me.

I gently put the menu on the table and pointed at the dish that our shop serves the best.

"Well, the cloud cakes are the best sellers. The mango cheesecake and the Oreo cheesecake are good, too. And for the drink, the lime frappe is the best seller. The chocolate jumbo frappe and unicorn frappe are also good."

I tried my hardest not to stutter while speaking and kept my eyes on the menu because I could feel Chanyeol and his teammates staring at me. I muster all my courage and I looked at him again. His eyes were saying something else but I couldn't put my hand on it. What is it?

"Four orders of the cloud cake and one each for the oreo and mango cheesecake. Four lime frappes. Thanks."

I jot down their orders in my note pad and put it inside my apron, "Would that be all?"

"Chanyeol would like to order your 11-digit num-ooof!"

"Shut up, Kris!"

I grab the menu from the table right when Chanyeol punched his friend in his arm. I walked away and went to the kitchen to place their orders.

 

 

I continued serving other people and watched Chanyeol leave with his friends after eating. I let out a breath I was unknowingly holding and finally felt at ease moving around the shop without consant whispers and sniggers from their table. My shift ended at around 11 o'clock in the evening. I changed my clothes and was so ready to head home and just go to sleep. I walked out of the shop and walked ahead when I felt a hand on my forearm. My eyes widened and snatched my hand away, I turned around and saw him. I felt a lump clog my throat. Park Chanyeol.

 

"Baekhyun-sshi, c-can I talk to you?"

 

And that was the first time I heard him say my name. My throat went dry, my hands became sweaty, and my heart went crazy. Actually, I feel like I'm about to faint...

 

 

 

 

 

Eomma, help me...

 


 

 

[A/N:] Thoughts? :) Tell me if you like the way the first chapter was written or this one because they are different. The first one is sort of like Baekhyun telling stories about Chanyeol to someone. The second one is sort of like, he's addressing his thoughts to Chanyeol. I'd be willing to compromise. :) Thanks! -ohjjeeyeon

 

[A/N:2] NOTE: EDITED TO MAKE IT SIMILAR TO THE FIRST CHAPTER. ^^ Thanks for the feedback, subbies! Lovelots! :* -ohjjeeyeon