People of the Sun

People of the Sun

 

Ah, not again. Jungkook held his hand over his heart, it felt like it was trying to burst out of his chest. 'It's nice and warm in there' he silently told it as he patted his chest gently to try and get it to calm down. 'Don't be an idiot, you don't want to live in the real world, it's cold and scary out here and you'll be all alone'. He scolded himself for having made the same mistake by being born. Ah, how different would it have been if he hadn't been in such a hurry to come out and join the world. Now that Jimin was again hidden by his crowd of followers, Jungkook could feel himself calming down. It was getting harder and harder each time to convince his heart to stay.

Jimin, who had quickly risen in ranks within the student council after his arrival only a week ago, had gotten the teacher to concede the floor and let him advertise the new after school club he had started, a dance team. The tryouts were next week. Jungkook was surprised he had actually managed to retain so much of what he had said, because the entire time he was up there talking, Jungkook's body had felt like it was on fire. And not some metaphorical fire, an actual 'burning up from the inside and soon will die' fire. Maybe that was the reason they were called the people of the sun.

 

He remembered how he had felt the day before their arrival. Never had he been as nervous in his life. Or as curious. He was going to meet real life aliens. Aliens were real! He couldn't believe it. He still couldn't believe it even now, a week of alien assimilation later, and he was not completely convinced either. They looked so human-like. Yet, he couldn't make himself feel disappointed. From the moment he saw Jimin for the first time, he had felt like a different person. Like he had done something to him. Ever since that first day, his stomach had been in a twisted knot that pulsated every time Jimin was in the vicinity. For a time, Jungkook had suspected Jimin of planting some kind of device in his gut without him noticing it. A device he could communicate with, and that was why it pulsated every time Jimin came near it. It made perfect sense. Why would Jimin do such a thing? There were countless accounts throughout history of people that had been taken by aliens who did all kinds of tests on them. The more he had thought about it, the more it had made sense. So much so that he convinced his mom to take him to the doctor. He did all kinds of tests and took some X-rays but could find nothing out of the ordinary. He was supposedly in perfect health.

Maybe Jimin had done something supernatural to him, something doctors couldn't detect. He was an alien after all. If he was to believe they had actually come from outer space, it wasn't that big a leap to believe they could have special powers that could affect them. Supposedly, they didn't. According to the government, they had been poked and prodded until they were certain it was safe to integrate them into society. But he had a hard time trusting anything related to these aliens. They were too beautiful, too mesmerizing.

 

It had all been so sudden. Too sudden. One day the world was up in arms over an alien invasion, the next day, after a supposed peace conference between representatives of both species, they had come to an agreement that the Earth was big enough to share. That, in fact, the aliens weren't invaders, but refugees. Their planet's solar system had had some problem, Jungkook couldn't understand the details, but because their system had two suns there was a more delicate equilibrium of gravity that had been offset by some meteor or other, altering their planet's orbit, making it slowly descend into one of the suns, threatening mass distinction of their species. Their peaceful race had to make some rash decisions to stay alive.

They had started a space program with the aim of moving into space with their entire population in search of a new permanent place to stay, since luckily they were close to having the technology for prolonged space travel. However, a burst of sun flares had cut their plans short, leaving them with no choice but to set off without accurately calculated trajectories or properly supplied or field tested spaceships. Instead, in utter desperation, they sent a few select groups of people that were chosen to be saviors of their species. It was basically a suicide mission, since they had had no clue whether they would manage to find inhabitable planets before the spaceship or the supplies gave out. To maximize the odds, they sent the ships in different directions, to quadrants of space most likely to harbor such viable planets. Jimin had come on one such ship. The ship that had found Earth. They had no idea what happened to the other ships or their planet.

It was a horribly sad story, Jungkook couldn't deny that and if it was true, his heart went out to Jimin and his fellow alien friends. To be accurate, his heart had already made several attempts to leave on its own and join Jimin. He had barely been able to stop it. But he just couldn't allow it to go. Not when he still suspected them of treachery. There were some saying that the aliens were not who they claimed to be. That they were not as peaceful as they would like everyone to believe. Just because they didn't bring guns, didn't mean that they weren't dangerous. They were charming. Too charming. Perhaps they had the power to sway the minds of humans without them even noticing it was happening. Many were accusing them of intending to take over from the inside. It was exactly what was happening at school, Jungkook thought. Barely a week had passed and the five aliens that had been assigned to their school were already the most popular students at school. They had given the term popular a new meaning. Everyone practically worshiped them. One was already their representative in the student government. Another one had become the president of the math club. And now Jimin had taken over the dance club. Where would it end?

Sure, the other four were charming. But they were nothing compared to Jimin. Jimin was the most manipulative of all. It was as if he had some inner energy, an inner light that was infectious, lighting everyone on fire. When he smiled, he set off a private fireworks display inside Jungkook's chest. He had never experienced anything like it. And what was worse, it was addicting. His body kept craving more. But he had only ever seen him from a distance. Wherever Jimin went, so did his fan club. He was always surrounded by a group of flailing idiots. Sometimes he had caught himself wanting to be one of those idiots. He was resisting with everything he had, but he was afraid that wasn't enough. So afraid in fact, that today he had decided to partake in a meeting of the underground club Detox. Officially it was a club where you could learn how to make healthy cleansing juices, but everyone knew it was really the alien resistance, pushing back and trying to rid themselves of all alien influence. Jungkook definitely needed that.