Detox

People of the Sun

Jungkook hesitated, not sure what he was getting himself into or what he could expect to find on the other side of the door in front of him. He was already ten minutes late. He took a deep breath and put his hand on the door knob, then turned right around and started walking away, completely chickening out.

Kookie!” he heard a deep voice call after him. He knew instantly who the owner of the voice was, there was no one that sounded quite like him.

Yoongi-hyung!” he turned and smiled.

Shhht! We only use code names here, for safety. Call me Suga.” Yoongi whispered. “Are you coming to the meeting or what?” he pointed at the now open door. Jungkook had no choice but to follow.

 

The moment the door closed, Jungkook found himself wishing he was still on the other side. This group's purpose appeared to center more on fear-mongering than offering any answers. He felt like an idiot sitting down in a circle, receiving what was awfully reminiscent of an aluminum hat a crazy person wore to ward off some kind of invisible radiation or imaginary voices. It was so the aliens wouldn't hear their thoughts. He had often wondered himself whether they possessed mind reading powers, but he doubted the efficacy of aluminum foil to do anything else than make them look stupid.

Most of their time went into finding fault with what the aliens were doing on a day to day basis, targeting them personally, effectively stalking them and then talking behind their backs. He felt sick. Even though he didn't trust the aliens, this was definitely not right. Worse yet, at the end of the meeting Yoongi announced that the next meeting would start with everyone making a blood oath, to prove you were not an alien. Supposedly, they bled green, and thus easy to weed out with a simple prick of the needle. But they already knew who the aliens were, they were all registered with the government and they had been formally introduced at a welcoming ceremony the day they arrived, so Jungkook didn't really get the logic behind it, any of it.

 

He couldn't get out of there fast enough, throwing Yoongi a quick bow and literally running the hell out of there. He was not going to return, that he promised himself, finding his heart silently begging Jimin for forgiveness. If he was going to get to the bottom of this, there was only one thing left to do. He had to do his own research, to find out whether they were dangerous. But to do that, he would have to get up close and personal. His stomach churned. It was for the safety of the school, he convinced himself, already starting to device a plan in his head.

Deep in thought, he didn't look where he was going, walking straight into a wall. Except the wall was warm and soft, and it sighed as he hit it. He took a hesitant step back, forcing himself to make eye-contact with whomever he had nearly obliterated from this world, or from this hallway was perhaps a more accurate description. The blood froze in his veins, forgetting how to breathe. It was as if he had looked in the eyes of Medusa herself and turned to stone. He just stood there, staring into the eyes of one of the aliens. He had never been so close to one before.

He looked so human that he started to doubt if he really had come all the way from outer space. He must have been a supermodel on their planet though, he was the fancy kind of beautiful. The kind that made you stop and go, 'Wow, what a handsome guy'. His eyes were usually sharp as a knife, but today they were full of sadness. Was it because of him? Did he know? Jungkook furtively glanced at the door he had just exited, it said 'Detox' in big, clear letters right in the middle of it. Darn. His heart sank, barely able to face those sad eyes again. There was a chance he hadn't noticed the sign, or just hadn't put two and two together, right? Ah, that sorrowful glimmer in his eyes said more than a thousand words.

For the first time in his life, Jungkook felt genuinely ashamed of himself. Silently, he pleaded for forgiveness, trying to get the message across with only a look. Unsure whether the message had survived the great journey through the tense air between them, the alien pursed his lips slightly, revealing a pair of dimples that were so cute that it was hard to take it seriously how discontent he probably was. Without saying anything, he took one step to the side and continued on his way as if Jungkook wasn't even there. He deserved that. He deserved much worse.

 

Shaking his body a few times as if to rid himself of whatever it was that had just happened, he scurried off to class, already having devised a handful of tactics to get Jimin to notice him. It tickled his gut each time he imagined Jimin actually giving him the time of day. He was probably just nervous. It was only for the greater good he was doing this. Somebody had to do it, and fate had picked him. The fate of the school was now resting on his shoulders.