Chapter 5

Mistaken

 

 

“What if…” Chaerin could tell that this is the last what if, and the next words will be something so important and significant and absolutely –

“… I cried because you were shamelessly flirting with someone else when I am hopelessly in love with you?”

-crazy.

 

Chaerin felt like her lungs were brutally pulled out, made into a punching bag for professional boxers, and brutally shoved into her once again. Her head was spinning again, this time faster, much faster. She desperately wanted to say something, but she remained slack and the only thing she could manage was; “I… ah, I can’t… I can’t breathe.”

Dara was instantly alarmed. She held Chaerin’s shoulders, attempting to steady her. “Chaerin-ah, are you okay?”

“You…” she wheezed, “You try b-being in my shoes, I’m sure you…” she gasped for air, “would have already f-fainted.” She brought her hand to her sweaty forehead and ran it through her hair. “I…what… ahh…aish, why is my mouth not working properly?!”

Despite their situation, Dara couldn’t hold back a giggle. Chaerin glared at her, but was twitching.

And, simultaneously, they both exploded into laughter.

 

End

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joking ^^

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Waaahh! You cheated!”

"No I didn't! I beat you, fair and square.”

“I will have my revenge! I ain't the baddest female for nothing!”

Minji and Bom, especially Bom, were quiet, for the first time in many days. Their eyes switched from Chaerin to Dara, who were sitting on the couch laughing like kids while playing cards.

“What… just happened?” Minji said slowly.

“…” that was Bom.

Chaerin peered at Bom and grinned. “Yah, ahjummas sure are quiet.”

“Okay, that’s enough suspense.” Bom glared at the two. “What the hell happened to both of you?”

Dara feigned innocence perfectly. “What do you mean, what happened to us?”

“You.” Bom pointed at Dara. “You were all tears the last time I saw you. And you.” She pointed at Chaerin. “You were all Sherlock Holmes the seductive version when we were in the karaoke room. So what happened?”

Chaerin pretended to think. “Ah… I guess I… slept?”

And Bom exploded like popcorn in the microwave. (pun intended teehee)

“DON’T GIVE US THE FREAKING TEASE, LEE CHAERIN!” She screamed, making the three jump. “I HAD TO HEDGE MY WILLPOWER NOT TO HIT YOU IN THE FREAKING HEAD WHEN YOU WERE ALL CONVINCED THAT DARA AND JIYONG WERE DATING, BECAUSE DAMN, EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY NOTICED THAT DARA’S IN LOVE WITH YOU EXCEPT FREAKING YOU!”

“What?!” Chaerin and Dara sputtered in unison.

“You’ve known all along?” Dara squeaked, blushing furiously.

Bom rounded on her. “Yes, ahjumma, we’ve known for about a month. We knew Jiyong’s been giving you advices and serious talks. We knew you’ve been asking for his help. Jiyong didn’t say anything, but we figured it out by ourselves. We didn’t even complain why you never asked for our help,” she added disdainfully.

“B-but,” Chaerin coughed out, “why didn’t you give me, like a hint when I was all about the pictures – thingy?”

“Because, pabo leader,” Bom half screamed, making CL cringe, “we wanted this pabo ahjumma to tell you herself. But apparently she chickened out til’ the last minute.”

“Yah!” Dara protested. “You’re older than me!”

“Unnies!” Minji stopped the banter that was sure to follow. “What really did happen between the two of you? What have you decided?”

Dara turned bright red, and Chaerin stared hard at the floor. “W-we… haven’t really talked that much about it. I… I guess it’s better to let it be.”

“What?” Bom uttered, in a very small voice.

Dara nodded enthusiastically. “Y-yeah! Forget everything, you know, have a clean slate and all that - ”

“NO!”

This time, it was Minji who exploded, making Dara, Chaerin and Bom jump. “THAT IS NOT RIGHT. YOU. HAVE A LONG SERIOUS CONVERSATION RIGHT NOW, ONE THAT COULD EITHER MAKE YOU OR BREAK YOU.”

“Jeez, I think you split my eardrum.” Bom moaned, clutching her ear. Before she knew what was happening, she was being dragged out by the maknae. “Ayyaah! Minji-yah!”

The house was quiet as a deathbed as soon as the noisy pair disappeared. Dara’s face was even brighter than the usual blush, and Chaerin seemed really interested in the flooring of their dorm.

It was a few seconds before one of them ventured to speak.

“Umm…” Dara hesitated, “I, uhh… so, what should we… talk about?”

God, this is the most awkward moment I have ever been in my entire life, Dara thought.

Chaerin shrugged, looking at anywhere else but her. “I dunno.”

Another silence.

“Chae…yah.” Dara muttered.

“Yep.”

“What… umm… What do you feel?”

Chaerin glanced at her briefly. “What do I feel?” She repeated.

Dara’s eyes remained on the floor. “About… about what I said… how I feel.”

Chaerin paused and scratched her head awkwardly. “I don’t…really know.” She admitted. Dara raised her head and looked at her in apprehension. “What do you mean?”

“I’m not sure of how I feel. Mixed emotions. I mean, I never really expected this, it’s like a dramatic plot twist and.. and.. I am so confused. Lots of questions are running in my mind right now, like...”

Dara felt her heart grow heavier as Chaerin tried to put her thoughts into words. In her mind, she is already rejecting her, and their years together is the only reason why Chaerin is fumbling for words.

It was a gentle rejection, for the sake of their friendship. But it didn’t lessen the hurt.

“Dara-unnie?” She heard Chaerin say hesitantly.

“Hmm?”

Chaerin stared at her expectantly for a few seconds before scrunching her face. “You weren’t listening to anything I said, were you?”

“Besides you rejecting me, no, I really didn’t hear anything you said.”

“What?” Chaerin asked, baffled.

“It’s okay. I get it. Friendzone.”

Chaerin scowled even more. “You really weren’t listening.”

“I get the gist, don’t worry. I’ll still be your best friend. This will not change anything.” Dara faked a smile as she reached for her bag. “I have to go. I’ll see you later.”

Chaerin pulled the bag from Dara’s grip (ignoring her surprised “yah!”) and hid it behind her back. “No, you’re not going anywhere, not until you hear me out.”

Dara promptly covered her ears. “I understood what you said, okay? I just don’t want to hear it again.”

“But you didn’t even let me fin-”

“Lalalalalalala I don’t care eh eh eh...”

“If you would just-”

Dara closed her eyes shut and sang even louder. “I DON’T CARE EH EH EH EH EH...”

Frustrated, Chaerin flung herself towards Dara and wrestled her hands away from the sides of her head. Dara flailed under her, eyes fully shut as she struggled against Chaerin’s attempts to pull her hands away. “Noooo!” Dara screamed.

“How am I supposed to say yes if you refuse to listen?!”

In a flash, Dara opened her eyes and blinked up at her, befuddled. “Say… what?”

The leader sighed, exasperated. “Will you please listen? I’m going to repeat everything I said.” She tapped Dara’s forehead gently.  “You better focus, Ssantokki.” She pulled away from Dara and sat back on the couch and took a deep breath. “I said, I have a lot of questions in my mind, like how are we going to tell Yang-sajangnim about our relationship, or what are we going to do once this blows up on media, and how will the fans react to us, together. I am confused, and scared, not only because of the people surrounding us and their opinions, but mostly because this will be my first relationship after a long, long time, and I’m not sure if I can be the perfect girlfriend, and I am scared of ruining this because you are so precious to me. And, to answer the question I know that’s been bothering you for a long time, yes, I do have feelings for you, and yes, I am a flawed, prideful at times, and mistakeful person, but if you can accept me, I’d be happy - honored - to be your girlfriend.”

Silence reigned. Chaerin, because of pure nerves, and Dara, because of pure shock.

“Can you…” Chaerin began, shyness emanating from her voice.

Dara glanced at her, surprised by her sudden shyness. “Can I…? What?”

Chaerin looked at her, deep into her eyes. “Can you accept me?” She half whispered.

Dara looked back at her, feeling that warm fuzzy sensation of pure bliss and admiration for this girl. “Can I?” She repeated. She looked down, then gazed back at her. Chaerin was nervous; she was wringing her hands on her lap. “J-just… you know, me being proud and mistakeful and imperfect.”

Something exploded in Dara’s chest. Something that she never felt before. “Can I?” She repeated.

The anxiety in Chaerin’s eyes heightened. “B-but if you can’t, it’s okay, really. I won’t force you.”

She stared at this girl in front of her, the closest person to her heart, who, actually, is not just close to her heart; her heart already belongs to her. She smiled. “I think I can.”

Chaerin relaxed, but not quite. “F-for how long?”

Slowly, carefully, she leaned in and rubbed her nose against hers, closing her eyes. And, barely audibly, she whispered, “Is forever okay?”

She felt Chaerin smile. And then she felt Chaerin’s lips.

----------------

Meanwhile, outside the room, the other half of 2ne1 were pressing their ears to the door and squealing like a pair of obsessed fangirls.

 

THE END.

missing 2ne1 more than ever. :(