Chapter 3

Mistaken

Beep. Beep. Bee-

The alarm clock was immediately shut up when a frail arm pounded on it harshly. The owner of that arm sat up immediately, without any trace of yawns or even waking up from a deep sleep.

“Ugh.” She groaned, passing her hand over her face. “Who needs sleep.” She got up slowly, as if in a haze, and fixed her bed, if you could say that. She simply scrunched up her covers to the side and hid it under her pillows. “Sleep is for the weak.” She glanced at the mirror.

God, she looked terrible.

“Coffee, then.” She muttered to herself. She looked at the mirror again. “No, wait. makeup. Then coffee.”

When she finally looked like a human and had enough coffee to last the day, she walked out of her dorm and headed to YG Building. She was surprised – and greatly relieved – when she realized Chaerin had gone off ahead of her. Very uncharacteristic of her, though, she thought. The mere fact that she did not go through awkward hell that morning lifted up her mood, and she felt, for the first time in weeks, at ease.

It seems that the universe was just playing with her, though, because all her thoughts about how at ease and how she was not shaking or fighting off tears disintegrated upon seeing  Kwon Jiyong and the three girls in the practice room floor. It would have been bearable, leaving it at that, but what made Dara’s knees wobble was seeing smiling Jiyong’s head on giggling Chaerin’s lap, looking like a couple straight from the dramas.

K-Kwon Jiyong… what are you doing?

It was Bom who first noticed her. She grinned and waved. “Wooh, annyeonghaseyo ahjumma!” Dara responded with a weak laugh and slowly approached the group, feeling more dreadful with every step. She sat down beside Minji, who, for some reason, kept glancing her way. Bom tapped her shoulder and snatched her phone from her, giggling like a child. And as the two fought, squat-legged, Dara, although she was laughing at Bom’s childish antics, can’t help but shift her focus from them… to the annoyingly sappy scene playing in front of her. Chaerin was still laughing while squeezing Jiyong’s hair, who was grasping her hand, laughing too.

What the f is this?! She could feel herself breaking as she clenched her fists behind her. What are you guys doing?

 

 

**

“Karaoke night!”

2NE1 and GT.O.P were sitting casually in the lounging room chatting when a high Seungri burst from the door, carrying drinks. He grinned expectantly at his mini audience.

The girls, under Ssabunim’s strict instructions not to consume booze for the week, shook their heads sadly.

Seungri’s shoulders sagged a bit. He turned to G-Dragon hopefully. “Karaoke night?” The leader frowned at him. “We need to practice tomorrow, so, no.” The maknae began to protest, but the buzz continued, and everyone is already ignoring poor Seungri.

 But no. He’s not gonna give up easily.

He jiggled the bag of drinks in his hand and screamed, at the top of his lungs. “KARAOKE NIGHT! KARAOKE NIGHT! KARAOKE NIGHT! KARAO-”

“Okay, okay! Just shut up!” The male leader yelled, scratching his head exasperatedly. Chaerin glanced at him uncertainly. “Can we, really?” She asked. The boys looked on hopefully.

“Certainly no alcoholic drinks, plus eleven pm curfew. I could do a little winding off, how about you, girls?”

“Let’s do iiiiit!” Bom, Minji and CL simultaneously cheered, opposite to their response a few moments ago.

“How ‘bout you, Dara-noona?”

Chaerin turned to Dara sharply, observing her reaction carefully. But she did not see anything in her eyes except weariness. “Sure.” Dara replied with a weak smile.

“TO THE KARAOKE ROOM!” Seungri shouted dramatically, earning laughter from the rest.

**

“Aish, why would you pick this one?” Choi Seunghyun grumbled, staring at the screen as ‘Lollipop’ blared out from the speakers.

Bom looked at him as if he had insulted her grandmother. “Yah, it’s our only collab song, be proud of it!”

“But you could have picked someth-”

“STOP WHINING AND GET THE MIC!”

T.OP. rolled his eyes and grabbed the mic, holding it near his mouth like the way he does when he raps. “Makdaesatangbota deo dalkoomhan, nae maeumeun teojildeuthan dynamite, nan kkalkkeumhan namja T.O.P, naesarang Bling Bling like L.E.D!” he bellowed before handing it to Chae, who took it enthusiastically.

“Keudaen ddak nae style ya, banjjakbanjjak star ya –“ Chaerin walked over to Jiyong and wrapped her hands around his neck, earning a cheer from the rest. “- saekdareungol wonhae? Let me show you if that’s okay!”

Even as her turn ended she did not let go of Jiyong, who, to Dara’s fury and sadness and everything else that comes between, was also gripping Chaerin’s waist with one hand the whole song. Luckily it was dark, and so she had no trouble hiding her pathetic face. Everyone was hyped up, but no one was drunk. That’s because everyone did not want to wake up tomorrow with a bad hangover, especially the boys, who were preparing for their tour. Also, everyone was too happy to be wasted.

Everyone except Dara. She was the only one drinking the alcoholic drinks Seungri bought. She knew it was stupid, but she kinda wanted to pull Jiyong away from her leader and leave the place so she can finally ask what the hell is going on. But of course, he didn’t. He was too busy ogling Chaerin. Damn the bastard.

She sighed inwardly and looked up from her bottle… and was practically frozen when she saw Chaerin’s lips land right on Jiyong’s mouth.

No.

She could not believe this is happening. H-how could…?

No. She must be dreaming.

She’s not dreaming. The disco lights are real, the drink she was holding was real, and the scene in front of her was real.

She did not know what happened, the tears that came from nowhere blurred her vision and the world and everything she understood about it, she could only feel the burn in as she chugged down more than half a bottle of beer, could only feel the empty bottle slip from her grasp and crash to the ground, could only sense – but not see – that everyone was staring at her.

She could only feel the ground as she raced out of the room.