A Ride?

In the Right Eyes - Yongguk

You were silent, knowing that you walked home every day.

“Let me take you home, my treat” Yongguk smiled at you trying to not make you feel guilty for asking for help.

“Thank you, Yongguk” You whispered as he walked out with you to the front of the school.

A sleek black car sat near the front of the school, the driver stepped out and rounded the car to open the back door. Wrapping his arm around you, Yongguk guided him to the elite vehicle.

“Thank you Jongshim” Yongguk greeted his driver with a smile and a bow before letting you get in first. With a nod of his head, Yongguk slipped into the seat next to you as the driver took your backpack and Yongguk’s. Placing them in the trunk, he rounded the vehicle and slipped behind the wheel.

“Mr. Bang, are we dropping this Miss off at your place?” The driver looked back at the reflection in the rear view mirror.

“Can I please be dropped off at my place?” You whispered quietly to Yongguk as he nodded gently to you.

“Her place, please Jongshim.” Yongguk told his driver as he nodded.

“What neighborhood do you live in Miss?” Jongshim questioned as you dropped your eyes knowing that it wasn’t the safest nor was it the most elegant neighborhood. Expressing the neighborhood where you lived, the driver nodded his head and pulled into traffic knowing exactly where the destination was.

“Are you going to come to school tomorrow?” Yongguk questioned looking over at you as you shrugged your shoulders.

“I’m not sure” You whispered gently.

“Why wouldn’t you?” Yongguk inquired

“If I don’t want to get beat up again…” You told him honestly as you looked from the tinted window over to his face sewn with questions.

“How often does this happen?” He probed.

“At least twice if not three times a week” You told him seeing the area become more and more familiar to you.

“Haven’t you tried to tell anyone?” Yongguk slightly rose the volume on his voice.

“I have, but they say the same thing that the gym teacher said” You told him as you took a deep breath. “I know you may not understand, we are from two different dynamics at school.”

“Here we are” The driver called as he let the car roll to a stop.

“Thank you for all that you did for me today, I really appreciate it” You told him honestly as you gave him a gentle smile. “Thank you for giving me a lift.”

“Anytime” Jongshim smiled as he got out of the car, opened your door and grabbed your backpack from the trunk as he walked her up to the door while Yongguk sat inside the car deep in thought.

Hearing the driver door open, Jongshim sat back into his seat as he looked back at Yongguk. “Mr. Bang, would you like to go home?”

“One moment” Yongguk continued to peer up at the door you disappeared behind.

“I can tell that she is very different from the others” Jongshim commented as he waited patiently.

“She is… very different indeed” Yongguk sighed, wanting to help you more yet he didn’t know how.