Chapter Eleven

Arranged Love

 

Kim Soomi could barely suppress a giggle as Krystal Jung took a look around and then entered Choi Siwon’s dressing trailer. “I don’t know why Krystal Jung called in a tip on her own scandal,” Soomi whispered into her camera. “But I’m lucky I got the call.” Soomi crept closer to the trailer in hopes that she could catch some audio of the tryst.

    For fifteen minutes all Soomi got were some indistinct murmurs from what sounded like two people, a man and a woman. Soomi kept her camcorder going but none of the audio she got would be usable. The squeak of a door signaled Krystal’s exit from the trailer so Soomi scooted back further into the bushes in order to get more footage.

    Krystal stepped down from the trailer. Her hair was a little mussed and her makeup a little smeared. She turned a little (spotted the reporter) and walked down the sidewalk parallel to Soomi.

    “Omo!” Krystal gasped, turned, and quickly walked in the opposite direction. Soomi followed her with her camera for a second, but then turned to see what had startled the star.

    “This is the biggest scoop of my life!” the reporter whispered as through her viewfinder she sees …. Choi Siwon with his arm around the waist of a pretty girl. She uses the shrubbery alongside the sidewalk as a shield in order to get closer.

    “Jungmin hyung,” Siwon called out to a male passing by. “I want you to meet Haneul, my wife.”

    Crash, a sound came from the bushes and a head peeked out. With a word of goodbye, Jungmin left and Siwon and Haneul headed over to the person still half hidden  in a plant.

    “Hello,” Haneul said. “Are you stuck? Do you need help?”

    “I’m not stuck,” Soomi replied. “But I do need your help, and I think you need mine.” Siwon looked at her in bewilderment but, gentleman that he is, he helped her out of the bushes while Haneul held her camera.

    “Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Kim Soomi, entertainment reporter for Arirang TV.” She offered her business card with a bow. “Is there somewhere we can go talk privately. I have some important information for you.”

    Should we? Siwon asked with his eyes

    Why not? Haneul’s eyes replied.

    “Follow us, Miss Kim. We can talk in my trailer,” Siwon said, indicating the way with a sweep of his hrm. Soomi followed behind the couple as they walked arm in arm towards the trailer.

    “Oh, hey Siwon,” Kim Hyun Joong, the second male lead, said as he exited Siwon's trailer. “I was… uh… just looking for you. I thought we could… rehearse. I have a scene that’s ...troubling me.”

    “Sorry Hyun Joong,’ Siwon said with a smile. “I've got my wife with me today. But make sure you stop by the food truck she had brought in.”

    “Sounds good,” Hyun Joong started to leave but then turned back around. “Does Krystal… never mind.” He shook his head and walked off.

    “Well, have I got a tale to tell to you two, and some questions of course,” Soomi said after the three had sat down in the surprisingly spacious trailer, the couple on a sofa and she on a chair facing them. “I’ll start with the call I got two days ago at the station. The caller must have ticked off the receptionist because there were several reporters more senior than myself available but the call was sent to me. The person at the other end didn’t bother disguising their voice and I immediately recognized her as Krystal Jung.”

    “How could you recognize her voice like that?” Haneul asked. She’d gotten so into the story that she had scooched forward to the edge of the couch.

    “This will sound weird but since I’m an entertainment reporter, I watch a lot of interviews and variety shows. I’ve studied the sounds of the stars so that I can recognize their voices even if their faces are disguised.”

    “That’s so cool!” Haneul squealed. “So if I called a friend, you would be able to recognize who it is?” Soomi nodded.

    “Nampyeon, can we try it?” Haneul turned to Siwon and gave him her puppy dog eyes. Unable to resist her request, Siwon handed over her phone. He had kept it in order to monitor the texts from Krystal.

    Haneul looked up one of her contacts and dialed after turning on the speaker phone. While the phone rang, Siwon couldn’t stop himself from speculating about who it could be. Perhaps she called one of the Exo boys, they’re the only stars he can think of that she knows.

    “Noona?” A deep voice answered the phone. A deep voice that sounded somewhat familiar to Siwon but one he couldn’t really place.

    “Hey, I was calling for two reasons. First, I’m with a reporter who claims she can tell who a celebrity is just by hearing their voice. It’s important that my husband and I  find out if she’s telling the truth or not.”

    “And you thought of me? I’m honored.”

    “Oh, stop being so silly! Anyway, I also wanted to check that you got the VIP tickets and backstage passes to the Super Show next week?”

    “Yeah, my girlfriend is pretty excited about it . Is this where I finally get to meet your husband? Double date?”

    “Something like that. I need to get going. See you at the gym, cousin.”

    “Bye noona.”

    Haneul hung up the phone and turned to look at Soomi with a questioning look.

    “That was Kim Woo Bin!” She said with a gasp. Siwon’s jaw dropped.

    “Right!” Haneul clapped. “That is so amazing that you can tell that.”

    “He’s your cousin?” Siwon asked.

    “Huh? Oh, no,” Haneul looked confused for a second. “Oh, I call him that because the first time we met he claimed me as his cousin to get rid of some obnoxious girls at the gym.”

    “Ah, I see,” Siwon said, still sounding a little unsure. “Please continue your story, now that we’ve confirmed your amazing talent.” He gave Haneul a ‘we’ll talk later’ look.

    “Yes, well,” Kim Soomi continued. “I received a phone call from a female who I recognized immediately as Krystal Jung. Miss Jung told me that she knew of a relationship between Choi Siwon and his female co-star of Arranged Love. If a reporter with a camera came today, they would be able to get proof of it.”

    “But,” Siwon protested. “I wasn’t even supposed to be on set today. How would you have been able to get any proof of this supposed relationship?”

    “That’s the beauty of her plan,” Soomi said, a bit of reluctant admiration present in her voice. “She made sure I caught her going into your trailer. I could then hear her with a male inside and then she came out with her hair and makeup mussed and made sure to walk in front of my camera.”

    “So, us showing up ruined her plan,” Haneul said. “Hyun Joong-ssi being in here explains the male voice you heard.”

    “I can’t believe she’d go this far!” Siwon cried out. “I’m not great enough for her to be doing it for me. The press coverage wouldn’t be that great either. What’s in it for her to keep going like this?”

    “Pride,” Haneul said. “You putting your fat and dumpy wife ahead of her hurt her pride. She's trying to hurt us for hurting her.” Before Siwon could reply, Haneul’s phone went off. He grabbed it and read the new text message from Krystal.

    “You have.. To.. read...this,” SIwon gasped out between belly laughs. He passed the phone to Haneul, who read it out loud.

    “Siwon is cheating on you with some skinny little b****. Let’s team up and take them down.” A picture taken of Siwon and Haneul on set was attached to the text.

    “What can we do to stop her?” Haneul asked, after the laughter died down.

    “I have a plan if Miss Kim wouldn’t mind helping us,”Siwon said.