Chapter Twelve

Arranged Love

 

“How did your pretend cousin get such amazing tickets?” Shin MinAh asked her boyfriend, Kim WooBin.

    “I don’t know,” he said, raising his voice in order to be heard over the chanting ELF. “Haneul noona’s husband is a celebrity of some sort so perhaps he got them. I wonder where she is?” He looked around once again.

    “Did you say Haneul noona?” asked a boy with dyed hair wearing a face mask. Several other masked boys turned to look.

    “Ah, yes, Kim Haneul. Do you know her?” Woo Bin responded. The masked men conferred with each other before a tall blonde who appeared to be the leader turned back.

    “Yes, we do,” he replied. “She won’t be sitting with us but you’ll see her before the show is over.”

    Woo Bin and Shin Min Ah were confused at that pronouncement but no matter how much they questioned and pried, the masked men stayed silent.

    The opening video started and the sapphire blue ocean surged to its feet. Screams and yells rent the air as signs and lightsticks waved in the air. The ability to think and speculate gave way to awe of Super Junior’s masterful performances. It wasn’t until the song “Shirt” began to play that Woo Bin again recalled the existence of Kim Haneul.

    As Eunhyuk began to sing, the backup dancers came out and one caught Woo Bin’s eye. Her partner was Choi Siwon and something about her face reminded him of his Haneul noona. When the whole of Super Junior began to sing “Shake, shake, shake that body” part, the dancer turned so that her back was to Siwon and she was facing the VIP section.

    “Mwo!” He gasped as his jaw dropped. Before he could think coherently enough to tell Min Ah what he had seen, the music ended and all of the dancers except one exited the stage.

    All the lights went off except one spotlight trained on Siwon and the dancer he was holding by the wrist. “I want to thank all of the ELFs that came out tonight. You have been faithful for almost ten years now and I personally could not be more grateful. Recently, you’ve been curious about my SNS posts, haven’t you?”

    “Neh!”

    “I’ve even heard rumors linking me with my hoobae, Krystal. I’m sure you all want to know what’s going on, neh?”

    “Neh!”

    “About four months ago now, my life changed drastically for the better. I didn’t appreciate this change at first, but now I wouldn’t have my life any other way.” A chorus of awws and “Chukahae oppa” was heard.

    “At the beginning of June, this lovely lady flew into my life.” He pulled Haneul’s arm so that she was standing in front of him and he could circle his arms around her waist. He leaned forward and kissed her neck with a wiggle of the Sibrows. Once again screams and sighs rent the air. Haneul turned red and started to squirm.

    She suddenly stilled as she heard the soft strains of “Marry Me” began. The crowd too became silent as they realized they were now part of a monumental moment for one of their favorite oppas. Woo Bin was unable to say anything due to shock and looked around the VIP section with wide eyes. He noticed that the masked men did not look surprised at all. Instead, the one with the dark panda eyes looked to be on the verge of tears. He was clutching onto the tall blonde who had a stoic look in his eyes.

    Siwon maneuvered Haneul so that she was facing him and their sides were toward the audience. Haneul gasped as Siwon lowered himself to one knee while retaining his grip on her left hand.

    “Ahneh,” he said. The audience went nuts and he had to pause until they settled down. “Ahneh, I know that I’ve not been the best husband and that our marriage has been unconventional at best, but you deserve, at the very least, a romantic proposal.” At those words, Kyuhyun began singing and Leeteuk came up and handed Siwon a bouquet of crazy daisies and a small blue box.

    “Kim Haneul, I’ve fallen in love with you. First for your cooking, then for your understanding soul, and finally for everything you are, inside and out,” he started to get choked up and had to take a minute to gather himself. “Will you take this ring,” he opened the Tiffany box to show two silver rings, each with half a heart on them made of a fingerprint impression, “to symbolize to the world that, come what may, I am yours and you are mine.”

    Chants of “Say yes!” and “Kiss him!” filled the stadium as Haneul nodded, too emotional to speak. Siwon took her ring out of hte box and slipped it onto her finger before standing up so she could to the same to him. Once both rings were in their rightful places, Siwon bent down and gave Haneul a kiss filled with love and promise.