Chapter Two

Flower Petals

Chapter Song: Seventeen- I Don't Know

    "Kai, wake up." I bounced around the others room a bit. Maybe I was a bit hyper this morning but, it was the first weekend of spring and I couldn't wait to spend the whole day outside. "Yeah, I'm getting up." The younger boy mumbled to me, sitting up as he rubbed at his face. Kai was never really a morning person, he would sleep until afternoon if it wasn't for college, and lets face it, having me as a roommate. We have been friends for as long as I can remember, granted I was older than him. Kai was majoring in music like me but instead of acting, he was doing dance. He was good at dancing, ballet was what he was learning right now. He always threatens to smack me when I laugh at him wearing the clothes for class. He was younger but he was taller than me. I was pretty short, but I had a lot of excuses for it. None made sense but, they were worth a try really. "Hurry up and get downstairs or I'm not saving breakfast for you." I told him in a slightly sing-song voice as I left his room, closing the door behind me.

     It didn't take long until Kai was downstairs.  He was one that had to eat almost as soon as he woke up. He had always been that way, which I now used to my advantage when I wanted him to get up and do something with me. "Kai we're going shopping today still, right?" I asked him as I sat his plate in front of him. I couldn't cook many things but even I couldn't up pancakes. They weren't quite circular but, they were still edible and that's all that mattered. "Mhm." He mumbled around his fork, nodding his head at me. I knelt on the floor next to him, propping my head in my hands as I gave him the cutest look I could muster. "Jonginnnnnnn" I cooed, earning a groan from him. "What are you getting me for my brithday?" I asked, continuing to give him the look. He always got me something, and he was aware at how bad I was with waiting. "It's a surprise, Baek. Plus, you're birthday isn't for a few more weeks. What if I haven't even bought it yet?" He asked, taking another bite of his pancake, making me huff. He always did this, he told me he didn't have it until a few days before my birthday. He lied though, we both knew that, he got it months before hand. "Fine." I pouted, getting off the floor and grabbing my guitar case. Before I knew it we were out the door, walking towards the mall. I preferred walking wherever I needed to go, even though I had a car. It wasn't like the mall was very far, everything was pretty close to our school. So, why would we waste time in a car?

     One thing I loved about having Kai as my best friend was the fact that he listened to the same music as I did. We were practically dancing down the side walk as my phone played music. I couldn't help but laugh at us, we were quite a pair. People watched us and laughed, which, we never cared about. This was just how we were. We were currently listening to SHINee, honestly one of our favorites. We had both grown up in the same Neigborhood as Taemin so we were just natural fans of the group once they got big. I stopped mid sidewalk, right in front of Kai, my arms outstretched on either side of me as I did a sideways slide, holding in my laughter. "I'm Married to the music, nollawora!" It was one of my favorites, SHINee's Married to the Music, everytime it came on I started singing loudly. He put up with a lot of my stuff,  I was thankful for it, I wasn't honestly a normal person. I was pretty hyper active and loud, but he didn't mind. He tended to encourage me as we got older, being used to my insane personality. I kept singing as we walked, doing small bits of the dance as we went.

   I was currently facing Kai as we walked, walking backwards to him, the song had changed, more upbeat. 'Hero' by Monsta X filled the air around us. Kai only laughed at me as I danced, singing the words to him as I walked. "aniya neon naekkeonde naega jikyeoya hal uimuga inneundebnuga neol jeoldae neombol su eopge naega jikyeojulge.*" He sang along with me, humming the next bit as we walked. Still facing him before I bumped into someone, almost falling over as I glanced up at the other person, clearing my throat as I cleared my throat, looking between him and his friend, bowing. "Sorry, I should have paid more attention." I muttered, my cheeks flushing in embarrassment. I hadn't expected to run into anyone, but I honestly should have sice I wasn't facing foward. "Don't worry about it, I liked the song." The taller boy laughed, waving as he walked around us. I glanced over at Kai who simply gave me a shrug. As the random guy walked away, we could hear him begin to sing as well. "I can be your hero akdangdeureun dwiro nappeun geotdeul podaegie ssamaen daeum teureoge sireo hanagachi da jimseunggataboyeo dongmurwone beoryeo jeonbu maldeuri manheo neol gajiryeo baeteodaeneun gaesori manmanhage nal bwatdamyeon beoseot meokgo keuge jara baji wie paentireul ipgo mangtoreul dara suteudo gakkeum ipgo gaseumeseo bichina bichina uriga bichina dadeul gogaereul bow.*" Kai's jaw about dropped to the ground as he listened to the other. I could feel his surprise. Kai always had a thing for the rapping in music, he was pretty good at it but he hadn't gotten all the words to this song down yet, so the fact that that stranger did it so effortlessly caught him off guard. "How.." He mumbled quietly, looking at me and the other boy, earning a shrug from me. I had no clue either, I couldn't even attempt that part of the song, I usually just hummed it. "I need to practice more." He muttered, making me laugh.

 

     Two fifteen like usual, I was sitting in the clearing. My guitar laying in the grass next to me, my hands crossed under my head. I had my eyes closed, taking in the warmth of the spring sun and the smell of the flowers that were blooming around me. It was quiet, other than the distant laughter of the kids at the play ground and the cars on the street a ways away. The birds were making their noises but I honestly didn't mind it, the sounds were always so soothing to me. "You shouldn't be sleeping out here, you'll catch a cold." I heard the familiar voice state, making me sit up and smile. "I wasn't sleeping, Halmoni. I was just enjoying the feel of the spring." I laughed, moving to lean against the bench she was now sitting in, her dog curling up in my lap, making me smile as I pet him. "I brought you a juice today, My grandson ate all the cookies." She informed me as she handed over the juice. I honestly didn't mind, she brought me cookies daily it wasn't going to hurt me to not have any one day. "That's alright, Halmoni. Is this the grandson you were telling me about the other day?" I asked, opening the juice and taking a small drink of it before putting the lid on it and setting it down next to me. "Yes, He came to visit me today. He told me that he was thinking about transferring to your school. I guess, him and a friend of his decided to room together and his friend goes to your school." She informed me, making me tilt my head. He had a friend at my school? Maybe I had met him before. "He should be here soon, I'll introduce you when he arrives. You two will get along well." She smiled. "Will you sing to me again?" It made me smile how she asked, I brought my guitar for that reason. "Yeah sure, do you have anything in mind?" I asked, shifting to take my guitar out of my case. "I do, it's something different today, something English. I'd like to hear you do that."

     I honestly had no idea if I would do any good at the English version of the song, I knew the words in Korean and I knew them in English, but I hadn't sang it around anyone. I honestly felt a bit nervous. "Of course I can." I nodded as I started playing the opening chords to the Journey song
.  "
Lying beside you Here in the dark Feeling your heartbeat with mine Softly you whisper You're so sincere How could our love be so blind We sailed on together We drifted apart And here you are By my side.*"   I sang softly. She smiled away as she listened to me. I loved making her smile, it made me feel like I was back at hime with my own Halmoni. Once the song was over I about jumped at the clapping that came from behind me. My guitar falling onto the grass as I peered up at where the sound was coming from, the oddly familiar face. Then finally it clicked into my head, the boy I ran into earlier, the one who rapped the part of the Monsta X song. "I- What?" I muttered, I was about to ask him if he was following me, when Halmoni spoke up. "BaekHyun, this is my grandson. Oh Sehun." She informed me. As she introduced him, the taller boy bowed. "Hello again." He laughed as he straightened out. "Second time I've bumped into you and you're singing." He smiled, his hands crossed behind his back. I was still trying to figure out the fact that I had ran into him just hours before, it was such a strange coincidence. "I would have never figured you were the one my Halmoni raved about, Baekhyun-Hyung." Sehun informed me, hugging his grandmother. I was still pretty confused, she said he was younger than me, plus he called me Hyung. But, he was taller than Kai. "Uh, yeah.. That's me." I muttered. My god, I really was short, thank you whoever decided to punish me like this, I've learned my lesson. Please give me my growth spurt now.

 

 

 

 

*No copyright infringement intended!