ChaeChung- Of Broken Hearts

Chungha One-Shot Requests

Pairing: Chungha x Chaeyeon

Genre: Failed Angst and Fluff


"Unnie! Isn't he handsome?" Chaeyeon squealed as she hit Chungha's arm.

Chungha sighed as she looked at the direction Chaeyeon was looking at. It was that Jaebum again. The captain of the soccer team and school heartthrob. 

"Yeah. Sure is." Chungha nonchalantly replied. 

"Unnie." Chaeyeon playfully glared at her, "We talked about this. You said you'd support me." 

"Did I?" Chungha answered with no interest. 

"Aish. Why don't you go look for a man yourself? Maybe Shownu? Yeah, he has been hitting on you since that dance competition. I think he's a kind guy." 

"Not really interested." Chungha said as she buried her face into her arms. The two were sitting on the bench to watch the soccer team practice. Chaeyeon was fangirling too much for Jaebum and Chungha just remained quiet. 

Why can't you see me instead...

Her thoughts were ruined when Chaeyeon suddenly gripped her arm. 

"Jaebum's giving fan signs!" Chaeyeon beamed at her as she frantically searched for a pen and paper to let Jaebum autograph for her. 

"You know you could always ask Somi for Jaebum's sign right?" Chungha looked at her. 

"But it's different when he gives it directly to me. Wait here unnie!" Chaeyeon ran off to Jaebum's direction, leaving Chungha alone in the bench. 

Chungha just looked at Chaeyeon's direction as a sad feeling washed through her. 

"Why can't you notice me like how you notice him." Chungha sighed as she wiped the tears threatening to fall down from her eyes. This wasn't the first time that her heart clenched for the younger girl. 

The two grew up together. They became best of friends who knew everything about each other. Chaeyeon loves Chungha. But not in the way Chungha loved Chaeyeon.  

Chungha had long found out about her liking for the other girl a long time ago. She had noticed how the young, chubby Chaeyeon had grown into this goddess that the whole school adores. 

She knew how the girl was straight. And there was no chance in life that Chaeyeon would like her back. The moment Chungha confesses, their friendship may break and turn into nothing. Chungha couldn't risk that, so with this in mind, Chungha decided to keep her feelings locked away. She swore to never tell Chaeyeon how she feels. It was enough to see the girl smiling at her and being happy. 

Chungha gripped on her shirt as she felt the familiar pain in her chest whenever she would think of her unrequited  love for the other girl. 

---
"We know already." Nayoung said as she sat down in front of her. 

Chungha looked at with her eyebrows knitted. Was she that obvious?

"Even Somi notices it and she doesn't even know a thing about love." Sejeong said as she poked her tongue out at Somi. 

"Yah! I know about love!" Somi glared at the older, "Just you wait! I'm asking Dani on a date next week." 

"We'll surely anticipate that." Jieqiong laughed, she then looked back at Chungha, "Still unnie, even Somi notices how different you look at Chaeyeon." 

"What different?" 

"You look at Chaeyeon unnie the same way Jieqiong unnie looks at Nayoung unnie. Or the same way Yoojung looks at Doyeon." Mina reasoned out. Chungha was about to protest when Sohye added something, "And the same way I look at Mina." 

Sohye smiled at Mina who just blushed. 

"I don't look at Chaeyeon any different from when I look at you guys okay? There's nothing special between us." Chungha reasoned out to stop her friend's noise.

"I doubt even yourself believes that." Nayoung told her.

Chungha looked at her same aged friend and she immediately knew that Nayoung knows and understands her. There was no point in attempting to lie to Nayoung when their leader already knows what's going on inside Chungha's head and heart.

"There's nothing between us." Chungha told her friends. Although that statement was mainly for herself so she could realize that there really was nothing between her and Chaeyeon. 

---
The next day, Chaeyeon rushed to Chungha the moment she saw her unnie. 

"Guess what?" Chaeyeon beamed at her.

Chungha finished fixing her locker and looked up at the younger girl.

"What?" 

"Jaebum asked me out!" Chaeyeon was so happy that she hugged her Chungha unnie. 

Chungha then buried her face into Chaeyeon's shoulder so the girl would not see how close to crying she is now. 

"Good for you. After a few months of having a crush on him, he finally notices you huh?" Chungha mumbled on Chaeyeon's shoulder. 

"I'm so happy unnie!" Chaeyeon hugged Chungha tighter while jumping up and down. 

"When will I get noticed by my crush too." Chungha whispered. 

"You were saying, unnie?" Chaeyeon leaned closer to hear what she said. 

"Nothing. Nothing important." Chungha pushed Chaeyeon's face away from her.

Chungha bit her lip as she kept herself from crying. Not now Chungha, she thought, don't cry now or she'll notice it.

"Chaeyeon? The teacher wants to talk to you." A student called. Chaeyeon nodded and got out from Chungha's hug. 

"Sorry unnie. Gotta go. I'll tell you the details later." Chaeyeon was too happy to realize how down Chungha looked. 

Chungha just nodded without looking at her. The tears had already started falling so she quickly ran away to get inside one of the rest rooms. She leaned against the wall as she clenched her chest. It was hurting again. 

"Why is this so hard." She whispered as she tried her best not to make a sound and alert any other student.

---

Chaeyeon had been spending all her time with Jaebum that she literally forgot about Chungha's birthday. When she went to tell the girl she was sorry, Chungha just pouted. 

"He's more important now." Chungha said.

"Of course not. He may be my boyfriend but you're more important than him." Chaeyeon told her. 

"Yeah. That's why you forgot about my birthday." 

"It's not like that. Look, I'll take you out tomorrow to celebrate okay? I'm just so busy this day." Chaeyeon held her hand. 

"Fine." Chungha sighed. 

That wasn't the last time Chaeyeon forgot about her. Because when she went to their meeting place the next day, Chaeyeon wasn't there. 

"More important huh." Chungha almost cried as she waited for another hour for Chaeyeon to come. 

But there was no one who came.

---
Of course on the following day, Chaeyeon had written her a letter how sorry she was. She then mentioned that Jaebum's father had died and she went to the funeral that's why she couldn't come.

Chungha didn't care anymore so she just nodded and accepted the girl's sorry. Ignoring the pain in her chest, she walked away. 

"I'm tired." Chungha whispered. "I'm tired of hoping that she'd find time for me when I know full well that all she ever thinks about is Jaebum."

---

It was a few weeks later when Shownu suddenly appeared. 

"Hey there Chungha." Shownu appeared out of nowhere and walked with her. 

"Hey." Chungha politely smiled at him although she didn't really like his company. 

"So there's this high school ball going on." Shownu started. Chungha sighed as she stopped walking and looked at him, "What do you say about being my date?"

"Sorry. I wasn't really planning on going." Chungha politely declined. 

"Hey come on! It's just one date." Shownu insisted. 

Chungha was about to shoo him off when someone suddenly wrapped an arm around her. 

"Is he bothering you?" Jaebum asked as he looked down at Chungha. The girl didn't know how to react so she just nodded. 

"She already made it clear. She doesn't want to be your date. Now go." Jaebum glared at Shownu which caused the latter to leave, bringing a few curse words with him.

When Shownu was out of sight, Chungha realized that Jaebum still has an arm around her shoulder. She quickly moved out of his grasp. 

"Thanks for that." She said. Bitterness was evident from her voice, which was not surprising as Jaebum is the guy who has her crush's heart.

"So about that ball, why don't you be my date instead?" Jaebum smirked at her and winked. If only respect was not a virtue then Chungha would have already punched him

"I thought you asked Chaeyeon already." Chungha glared at him. You better not be cheating on her, she thought.

"I asked Chaeyeon for a date. Which will happen later. I'm asking you for the ball. It's two different things." Jaebum reasoned as he showed his smile. 

"So is loyalty not a thing to you?" Chungha kept herself from getting angry. She gripped her books and calmed herself so she wouldn't slap him with the books. 

"Loyalty? Commitment?" Jaebum shook his head as he laughed, "Those words mean nothing. There are countless of girls there why would I bother sticking to one." 

"I wonder why so many girls like you." Chungha rolled her eyes. She didn't bother hiding her annoyment anymore.

Jaebum just laughed. He gripped Chungha's wrist and pulled her closer to him. He then blew hot air into her ear and whispered, "You're so hot when you're annoyed." 

Chungha couldn't keep it anymore. She was so annoyed of this guy for many reasons already. First, she just naturally hated him because he was jealous of him. Second, because he was just playing with the love of her life, and third, because even her is being molested by this jerk. All these reasons built up and she couldn't control it anymore. 

She pushed him away and slapped him. Hard. She even threw all her books at him. 

"Chungha unnie!" 

Chungha was surprised to see Chaeyeon rushing towards them. The girl had an angry face and she was fuming at her. 

"Chaeyeon! This guy is just playing with you!" Chungha reasoned out but she was cut off by Jaebum. 

"Liar! I was just asking her if I could date you because I wanted her blessing for us since I know that she's your best friend. But instead of replying nicely she told me that she was jealous of us. She then said that she liked me and asked me to leave you. I rejected her because you're the one I love but she got angry and slapped me." Jaebum told Chaeyeon. The girl looked at Chungha and fumed at her.

Their eyes met after a long time and Chungha poured all her emotions into her eyes so Chaeyeon would believe her. The other girl looked away and mustered all her courage to slap Chungha.

"Chae!" Chungha shouted as she held her cheek, "You actually believe him?!" 

"Well I know he wouldn't lie." Chaeyeon told her coldly.

Chungha kept her tears from falling, "You just met him for a few weeks and you believe him more than your best friend who's been with you since birth?" 

"I saw everything unnie. You slapped him and hit him with the books." Chaeyeon glared at her. 

"That's because he was flirting with me! I got angry because he was just playing with you so that's why I slapped him." Chungha was already crying. 

Chaeyeon looked away from her and turned her back to face Jaebum. She held his face into her cheeks and asked if he was fine. 

Chungha couldn't believe what was happening. It was a mixture of anger, disappointment and sadness. 

"You know what? Fine!" She shouted at Chaeyeon who has her back facing her, "Believe the guy who will hurt you! Believe him more than your best friend who deeply cares for you. Chaeyeon I thought you knew me?! You know I wouldn't lie. You know I want to always make you happy! Why would I go against your relationship if that makes you happy?! Damn it Chaeyeon. What am I even to you?! Just a friend who you talk to when your boyfriend isn't around? I remember I used to be more than that! You've changed Jung Chaeyeon." 

Chungha spat out every word with bitterness as she struggled to catch air. She didn't even look at Chaeyeon when she started to run away. She ran and ran. Sobbed and sobbed. 

That was until she felt her eyes getting blurry and her head hurt. She realized how much pain her heart is feeling now and she clenched her shirt. She struggled to breath but it was all void. 

---

"Thank you for believing me." Jaebum said as he hugged Chaeyeon. 

Chaeyeon was spacing out for a while, thinking of the last words Chungha said to her. It stung, but she was sure that Jaebum is telling the truth and not Chungha. 

"It's fine." Chaeyeon forced a smile although she can't remove the uneasy feeling in her chest. 

"So want to be my date for the ball?" Jaebum winked at her. Chaeyeon laughed. She was about to reply when her phone started ringing. When she checked it out it was Nayoung. 

"Hey Nayoung unnie." Chaeyeon said. 

"I heard about what happened." 

"Chungha unnie was saying bad things about Jaebum." Chaeyeon sighed. 

"Wow and you actually think Chungha would lie about something? You know Chungha never lies. Why would she lie about Jaebum? Chae what has gotten into you?!" Nayoung said out of frustration. 

"If you're just going to side with Chungha unnie then fine." Chaeyeon nonchalantly said. She was getting tired of this. She was already getting confused of what she should believe. Who to believe. 

"You don't deserve to know about what happened." Nayoung said, anger and annoyance evident in her voice. 

Before Chaeyeon could ask what happened, Nayoung had already ended the call.

"What's wrong babe?" Jaebum moved closer to her. 

Chaeyeon was too confused. She had realized that Chungha really wouldn't do such things. She was torn between staying with Jaebum or fixing things with her best friend. 

"Babe?" Jaebum held her hand. The girl backed away and looked down. 

"Let me think." She mumbled before running away from him. 

She eventually reached the garden. There was no one there so Chaeyeon comfortably slumped against a tree. 

She thought about everything. Her words, Chungha's words, Nayoung's and even Jaebum's. She looked back to the days she spent with Jaebum and compared it to the everyday she spent with Chungha.

Her eyes widened when she realized. 

"Stupid!" She grunted. 

---

For the past days, Chaeyeon had been trying to contact Chungha. She went to her apartment but she wasn't there. Chungha didn't attend school either. She couldn't ask her friends because they were all equally mad at her for her actions. 

It was an understatement to say that she regrets everything. She resents everything she had done.

To add to it, she even saw Jaebum kissing another girl. Everything she ever believed in came crushing down. 

Chungha was right, her best friend was just caring for her, looking out for her sake, but instead of thanking her, she didn't believe her. Heck she even thought for a second that Chungha betrayed her when she didn't. 

Chaeyeon had finally realized it. She loved Chungha. So much more than a best friend. She just didn't realize it because she was busy looking at Jaebum. Chungha was all she ever looked for in someone. 

Chaeyeon had no one. Her friends are all giving her the cold shoulder and they wouldn't help her find Chungha. 

She couldn't take it anymore. She went to Nayoung and pleaded her. 

"Nayoung unnie!" She cried.

"Chae..." Nayoung looked at her worriedly. Even though her friends were angry at her, it didn't change the fact that they still love her. 

"Please. Just tell me where Chungha unnie is." Chaeyeon was already crying. She feels so guilty and she wants to make everything right. 

"Sorry. Chungha told me not to tell you." Nayoung looked away. She couldn't bare seeing Chaeyeon cry. 

"Please. This will be the last time I ever ignore Chungha unnie's requests. I just can't bare not seeing her. I realized how stupid I was. How ignorant I was. I regret everything. I just want to tell her how sorry I am. It's fine if she doesn't forgive me. I just at least want to show her that she's important to me. She's my best friend and I love her." 

Nayoung looked at her, contemplating if she should tell. 

"Tell me something Chaeyeon." Nayoung moved towards her, "How much do you love Chungha?" 

"More than anything in this world. I'd readily die for her. I'll do everything to see her smile and I'll kill anyone who makes her cry. As much as I want to kill myself for hurting her, I can't. Because I want to make things right. Help me out Nayoung unnie." Chaeyeon held Nayoung's hand and cried. 

Nayoung sighed, "There's still thirty minutes before her flight. You can still catch up." 

Chaeyeon's eyes widened. She immediately let go of her hand and shouted.

"What flight?! She's leaving?!" 

"Her heart has gotten worse after your fight. She needs to go to America to get it treated." Nayoung answered.

"Her heart?! What?! What's going on?! She's sick? Why do I not know?!" Chaeyeon was already panicking. She wanted to cry more but she was trying to keep herself calm. 

"You never notice her. All your attention was on Jaebum. You didn't even realize that your best friend has a hole in her heart this whole time." Nayoung firmly said. 

"What the hell?! You could all have at least told me! I don't know what to do if she dies! I-I just can't!" Oh to hell with being calm. Chaeyeon was already screaming in anger, frustration and worry.

"Chaeyeon!" Sejeong suddenly appeared out of nowhere. "Cry about that later. Right now we have a race against a plane." 

Chaeyeon was trembling and she didn't know what to do. She didn't even know that her best friend was sick. And she was the reason Chungha's sickness worsened? She felt worse and worse. She just wanted to die after that. She was the reason her best friend was in so much pain. Was it even right to call her best friend when all she did was hurt her?

"Aish." Nayoung grunted. She crashed Chaeyeon in a hug and it was followed by the others who magically appeared out of no where. Chaeyeon calmed down a bit after being hugged by her friends who had been giving her the cold shoulder lately. 

"We have no time for regrets. Let's go to the airport. We can still catch up to her." Jieqiong said. Chaeyeon bit her lip as she struggled to be strong. She then ran outside to her car, followed by the others. 

"Please don't leave yet." She whispered as she drove to the airport. 

---

Leaving was a heavy thing to do for Chungha. Her whole life has been in Korea, her friends, her ex best friend, she was about to leave them.

Chungha smiled bitterly as she thought of her ex best friend, Chaeyeon. Suddenly her chest clenched again. 

"Stop thinking about depressing things." Her mother told her once she realized Chungha was in pain. 

Chungha nodded as she drank her pain killer. She had a hole in her heart since she was a child, but it slowly disappeared. She thought she was fine, but then it suddenly came back again during her first year in high school. It was nothing alarming at first, just some moments when she felt a sting in her chest. But then because of stress and heartbreaks, it had gotten worse. Her fight with Chaeyeon was the trigger. 

She felt so hurt that it put just as much stress on her heart. It pained her to the point that she couldn't breath and she lost consciousness. 

Chungha had woken up at the hospital. Turns out Nayoung had found her and rushed her there. That moment, Nayoung was about to call Chaeyeon to tell her about what happened but Chungha stopped her. She was still angry and hurt because of Chaeyeon. She told Nayoung the whole story and asked her not to tell Chaeyeon about what happened to her. 

At first it was because she didn't want to worry the girl. But now? She thought Chaeyeon wouldn't care about her so it was no point telling her. 

Chungha stayed at the hospital for a week now. The doctor couldn't fix it so she was recommended a treatment in America. 

To be honest she was fine without being treated. She was fine with dying. The girl she loves doesn't care about her. Chaeyeon probably hates her now. There really is no point in living anymore. 

If it wasn't for her parents who pleaded her to get treated, she wouldn't go. 

"Let's go Chungha." Her mother told her. She then realized that their plane had arrived and they were about to board.

She struggled not to think about the pain of leaving so her heart wouldn't hurt. She struggled not to think about Chaeyeon. Before her mind could wander off to think of Chaeyeon, she already stood up to  leave. 

"Chungha unnie!" A loud shout was heard. Everyone turned their head to look at the girl who shouted. Everyone except for Chungha, who stood frozen in place as she recognized the voice. 

Damn, it was a long time after she last heard her voice. It had the same effect on her even if she insists that she doesn't care about her anymore.

"Yah! You don't have a ticket." She heard a guard say. 

"Please just let me be." Chaeyeon told the guard, she then faced Chungha's back, "Turn around. I'm begging you." 

Chungha knows Chaeyeon was crying. Even if she didn't look back at the girl, she knows everything about the girl. 

She bit her lip and kept herself from crying, "Why now..." 

"I'm so sorry for everything. I'm not trying to keep you from leaving. I know that you need to be treated in America. Before you leave, I just want you to know that I love you. I love you more than anything. I was stupid for saying those harsh things to you." Chaeyeon shouted. They were making a scene but they couldn't care less. 

"Please just turn around." Chaeyeon whispered. They were meters apart but Chungha heard it. Everyone was quiet. 

Chungha sighed, "Nayoung couldn't keep her promise of not telling you." 

"I love you. More than anything. More than a best friend. It's stupid because I only realized this after our fight. I should have known sooner. I'm sorry for making your heart worse." She could hear Chaeyeon say. 

Chungha thought she was angry of Chaeyeon. But why is it that just because of the younger girl's words, she could feel herself wanting to be by her side.

Chungha grunted as she turned around and ran to hug Chaeyeon. She crashed herself into Chaeyeon's chest. 

"Pabo." Chungha murmured. She buried her face into Chaeyeon's shoulder. 

"I know." Chaeyeon wrapped her arms around Chungha. 

"I love you too." Chungha whispered.

The two hugged for the longest time until Sejeong tapped them. 

"You need to board the plane now." She told Chungha.

Chaeyeon subconsciously tightened her hold on Chungha. 

Chungha noticed this so she held Chaeyeon's face and cupped it, "I'm coming back. I promise." 

Chaeyeon sobbed harder and Chungha felt pain seeing her love like this. She wiped Chaeyeon's tears and pecked her lips. 

"When I come back, make sure there's room for me in your heart." Chungha smiled. Her heart was clenching because of the unexplained happiness and sadness mixing together. She ignored the pain as she treasured her last moment with Chaeyeon for a long time. 

"When you come back, make sure your heart is doing fine." Chaeyeon said between sobs. 

"I promise."

And they sealed it with a kiss.

---

"My heart hurts." Chungha seriously said. Chaeyeon quickly looked at her full of worry. 

"Really?" She struggled to keep calm. 

"I'm just kidding Chae." Chungha laughed but Chaeyeon still had that serious expression in her face. 

"Seriously I'm just kidding." Chungha pinched Chaeyeon's cheeks. 

"What if you're not? I don't want to lose you again." 

"I'm fine. It's been a few years after my operation in America and I'm doing perfectly fine. It doesn't hurt anymore." 

"You're telling the truth?" Chaeyeon pouted. 

"Yep." Chungha smiled which finally made Chaeyeon smile too. 

"I love you." Chaeyeon kissed her. 

"I love you too." Chungha said between the kiss. 


And that's that. I didn't realize how I could ship Chungha with literally everyone. I didn't even thought before that Chaeyeon x Chungha was possible. Anyway, please tell me how you thought about this one shot. The ending was rushed (I was busy these past few days) If I'm not mistaken NaChung will probably be next.

Oh and btw, there were two people who requested for Chaeyeon and Chungha so I literally just combined their prompts together. The first prompt was how Chungha looks at Chaeyeon, which was mentioned in the earlier part of the story and the second one was about the best friend thingy (which was the actual plot I used) Sorry for the sender of the first plot if I didn't give much attention to your prompt. But hey, it's ChungChae so it's kind of the same. Is it ChungChae or ChaeChung? I don't know.

Requested by: Taeyeon_Eunha http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1267228 and Buning2004 http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1077221

Chaeyeon x Chungha: CHECK